Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
At the start of the game, where do I get Calcium Equum from? Wanna make some bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Aurain posted:

No need to be passive aggressive because you can't install Fraps, mate.

That first thing wasn't directed at you, no worries. Just seems odd that the game lacks an actual keybinding for it yet has a folder dedicated to screenshots.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

VoLaTiLe posted:

I think I just noticed Geralts beard grows, time for a shave :shepface:

Meditate for 72 hours. :buddy:

Orv
May 4, 2011

botany posted:

At the start of the game, where do I get Calcium Equum from? Wanna make some bombs.

I think the herbalist sells some, but don't quote me on it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you ever find a seashell(junk item), take it to a blacksmith to dismantle it. I got a "Black Pearl" from it, worth 130.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sooooo is this game good???

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Yes. You know how Skyrim is a giant open world with plenty of caves to stick your face in and find tiny little stories? This entire game is that, but done with a sense of purpose and adventure, rather than "Oh, another dumb hole in another dumb snow hill, might as well". It has a good story to boot.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Zzulu posted:

If my first 15 hours have been representative of the overall experience it might be one of the best games ever, straight up, OP

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Orv posted:

She does. Can confirm because I just went and bought some form her. It's a tad pricey, though.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Zzulu posted:

The more I play the more I like it.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

Yes. You know how Skyrim is a giant open world with plenty of caves to stick your face in and find tiny little stories? This entire game is that, but done with a sense of purpose and adventure, rather than "Oh, another dumb hole in another dumb snow hill, might as well". It has a good story to boot.

Witcher 3's random map spots are as repetitive as Skyrim's, if not more so. That said, you can easily skip them or just bother with the ones that cross your path during quests.

Orv
May 4, 2011

iGestalt posted:

She does. Can confirm because I just went and bought some form her. It's a tad pricey, though.

Thankfully everything but decoctions (and maybe bolts?) refill with meditation.

So I had that moment. That moment RPG devs have been crowing about for a while now. "If you can see it, you can go there." I saw it. A giant goddamn tree on top of a giant goddamn hill. It's filled with loving vampires, don't go there.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Finishing up Orchard and a massive thunderstorm rolled in. This game has the best weather I've ever seen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Getting a little annoyed at the durability system now that I'm doing a dungeon.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Witcher 3's random map spots are as repetitive as Skyrim's, if not more so. That said, you can easily skip them or just bother with the ones that cross your path during quests.

Also, TW3's repetitive stuff is just poo poo like finding a few bandits camping out and killing them real quick and moving on rather than venturing into some boring as gently caress copy-paste dungeon for a half-hour.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Also, TW3's repetitive stuff is just poo poo like finding a few bandits camping out and killing them real quick and moving on rather than venturing into some boring as gently caress copy-paste dungeon for a half-hour.

I think that's why it's good. Kill bandits, small details, get loot, move on. Instead of an hour and a half in a shithole.

E: Ah yes, Cunny of the Goose, a fine suburban town if ever there was one.

E2: Broche found.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 20, 2015

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

In true open world style, I went to that burnt out village you ride past at the start of the game to find some guy looking for his brother. I find him, he heads off to meet me later on, and as I'm walking around, two wolves come in and start killing people. One kills a guy, I kill it, and the other runs in a door, kills a kid's mother, kid kicks the drat wolf over, and i finish it off while it's squirming on the floor.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

If you ever find a seashell(junk item), take it to a blacksmith to dismantle it. I got a "Black Pearl" from it, worth 130.

Heh, this might be a little throwback to one of Sapkowski's stories.

I just realized what I really dislike about the story. How CDPR just thrown all of Witcher 2 in the bin. Everything that transpired after Foltest's death becomes completely irrelevant in just 6 months. It's funny how when Geralt sees the map, he is completely unfazed. "Oh, all of it that we've achieved just a couple of months ago is now gone? Ok w/e"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Heh, this might be a little throwback to one of Sapkowski's stories.

I just realized what I really dislike about the story. How CDPR just thrown all of Witcher 2 in the bin. Everything that transpired after Foltest's death becomes completely irrelevant in just 6 months. It's funny how when Geralt sees the map, he is completely unfazed. "Oh, all of it that we've achieved just a couple of months ago is now gone? Ok w/e"

Uh, you mean all that Geralt accomplished, e.g. throwing the North to its knees just in time to be skullfucked by Nilfgaard, or in other words exactly what's happening now? It's not all his fault, but this is what comes from W2s proceedings.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Orv posted:

Uh, you mean all that Geralt accomplished, e.g. throwing the North to its knees just in time to be skullfucked by Nilfgaard, or in other words exactly what's happening now? It's not all his fault, but this is what comes from W2s proceedings.

Yeah, I'm not sure what you think Geralt achieved in W2,the epilogue for both Roche and Iorveth paths was Nilfgaard crossing the Yaruga, their plot to destabilize the north having been accomplished. In Temeria the succession is, at best, deadlocked by nobles squabbling and in-fighting, regardless of the path you take. Kaedwen has either just lost their king or they have been humiliated in Vergen, their army shattered and demoralized. Regardless of what you do in W2, Temeria, Aedern, and Kaedwen are all basically broken, with both Nilfgaard and Redania using the chaos to strengthen themselves.

Sosiz
Nov 8, 2009
Anyone else having problems with dialogue desync whenever Geralt is on the screen? It's really annoying when people finish talking but their mouths still move

EDIT: Nevermind, it's working now after I restarted the game
EDITEDIT: How important are alchemy and crafting in this game? I'm playing on the second lowest difficulty and I'm just really lazy

Sosiz fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 20, 2015

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Orv posted:

Thanks! Next question: What do I do with the trophies? My horse is lugging the Griffin head around and I think it's starting to smell. Also is there no graphics option for brightness? Daytime looks really good, but I'd prefer nights to be a bit darker.

Orv
May 4, 2011

botany posted:

Thanks! Next question: What do I do with the trophies? My horse is lugging the Griffin head around and I think it's starting to smell. Also is there no graphics option for brightness? Daytime looks really good, but I'd prefer nights to be a bit darker.

You can sell them for 20-30 crowns a piece, and probably should since several give the same benefit. Otherwise they're just small perks.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what you think Geralt achieved in W2,the epilogue for both Roche and Iorveth paths was Nilfgaard crossing the Yaruga, their plot to destabilize the north having been accomplished. In Temeria the succession is, at best, deadlocked by nobles squabbling and in-fighting, regardless of the path you take. Kaedwen has either just lost their king or they have been humiliated in Vergen, their army shattered and demoralized. Regardless of what you do in W2, Temeria, Aedern, and Kaedwen are all basically broken, with both Nilfgaard and Redania using the chaos to strengthen themselves.

Yeah le Comte is right, Temaria and Aedirn are hosed before the prologue of Witcher 2 is over. The conflict between Kaedwin and Upper Aedirn is shortsighted and stupid, no matter which way Geralt pushes it, and the summit at Loch Miunn is a disaster no matter who Geralt manages to save.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

botany posted:

I believe brightness controls only appear if you're playing fullscreen, not borderless windowed.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Is Novigrad the same as Velen where every other quest available is like level 20+ and there are only a handful at levels 6-12? poo poo is driving me nuts running back and forth over creation.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Where in velen can i forge one of my sword diagrams?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Blackbough near the west coast has a blacksmith proper as well as a fist fighting tournament. Dead west from Crow's Perch.

E: Checked, he's too low for any witcher diagram swords aside from Serpentine.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 20, 2015

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

OMGWTFTREEHACK posted:

Where in velen can i forge one of my sword diagrams?

There's a blacksmith I wanna say... West by south west of Crow's Nest(or whatever the Baron's place is called) that will do weapons.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Now I remember why I enjoyed bits of Dragon age Inquisition. Not everyone is an arsehole.

Seriously, as cool as this game is, it really is, the sheer bleakness of it all is depressing.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Right, but Henselt doesn't have to die though? Not sure what happens if you don't help Roche rescue Anais but even in my last game, where I did rescue her, Kaedwen was stable and strong as gently caress.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Broken Cog posted:

Act 1 Geralt: Oh, are you a Lycanthrope? I can totally help you with that.
Act 2 Geralt: I have to kill this Lycanthrope, he's cursed.

:confused:

Insensitive Geralt is best Geralt. I knew where that act 1 convo was going before it got there, and when Geralt started rambling about how he can cure lycanthropy, I almost lost it.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

botany posted:

Thanks! Next question: What do I do with the trophies? My horse is lugging the Griffin head around and I think it's starting to smell.

Most (all?) monsters have a small chance to drop a trophy which sells okay, they're not unique but boss monsters are naturally rarer and tend to have better bonuses. Just keep one and switch it out as you find better ones.

On another note, I'm really thankful for alcohol replenishment because I'm chugging potions all the time on death march no Quen. At first I thought the heal on meditation would be a big deal but it really isn't bad with my Geralt stuffing himself full of raw meat and honeycombs. I just use Cat for the Frenzy bonus and use more counterattacks rather than do something stupid like eat a hit trying to use a strong attack on a charging enemy (don't).

Parry seems to work on most fast enemies, monster or human. Wolves and dogs in groups of 8-9 will dogpile on you but with timing you can parry the first 3 or four attacks and igni all of them while they're bunched up. Drowners are a nuisance because they can stagger on their 'normal' attacks unlike 2H weapon humans who have windup.

I wish the game was a little better on telegraphing enemy light and heavy attacks but hopefully I'll get better!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are lesser mutagens a trap like they were in Witcher 2?

Josef bugman posted:

Seriously, as cool as this game is, it really is, the sheer bleakness of it all is depressing.

Poland.

HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy
I feel like I could really use a basic crafting guide. Mainly, what items should I be hoarding and which should I be selling, or going out of my way to acquire? Right now everything just feels overwhelming.

"The mug is my Precious. I must haves the mug."

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Right, but Henselt doesn't have to die though? Not sure what happens if you don't help Roche rescue Anais but even in my last game, where I did rescue her, Kaedwen was stable and strong as gently caress.

Even if Henselt doesn't die, even if he wins at Vergen, he's still exhausted himself and his forces fighting rebels, dragons, and curses. The north was only able to stand against Nilfgaard last time because the kingdoms banded together (and luck). No way in hell Kaedwen could stand up to Nilfgaard with a broken Temeria and Aedern. Geralt only can ever really help his friends, he's not a geopolitical power player.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Arglebargle III posted:

Are lesser mutagens a trap like they were in Witcher 2?

You can remove and re-slot mutagens at any point, there's no reason to not have all your mutagen slots full at all times.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Josef bugman posted:

Now I remember why I enjoyed bits of Dragon age Inquisition. Not everyone is an arsehole.

Yeah, the series does seem to try a bit too hard for everyone to be dickish and :siren: the nice acts are actually just as bad hahahaha gently caress you :siren:

Sure this does mean the tiny handful of things that are genuinely altruistic really stand out (the werewolf/prostitute love quest if you do it "right" in W1 for example) but most of the time it feels like the game conspires against everything that isn't selfish and self serving.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Total profit from beating men insensate in Velen: 540 crowns, less 5 because Dad Geralt is a big old softy compared to Amnesia Murder Machine Geralt.

The quest also implies two more similar lines in Novigrad and Skellige, so free money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Man I keep getting hosed in combat because I try to use Ard interrupt enemy animations like you could in W2 but it doesn't seem to work against a lot of enemies in this game. Ard a Wolf when it's pouncing and it will still hit you and then recoil back after the pounce animation is finished. Overall I'm not enjoying combat at all, and I loved it in Witcher 2.

Also, is there any way to recover health besides potions and food on the harder difficulties?