Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Magical Zero posted:

Man I keep getting hosed in combat because I try to use Ard interrupt enemy animations like you could in W2 but it doesn't seem to work against a lot of enemies in this game. Ard a Wolf when it's pouncing and it will still hit you and then recoil back after the pounce animation is finished. Overall I'm not enjoying combat at all, and I loved it in Witcher 2.

Also, is there any way to recover health besides potions and food on the harder difficulties?

Aard push back only really works against humanoids now. The answer to any and all monsters taking a diving lunge/swipe/run/stab at you is the short dodge. Imagine you're playing a Souls game; wait for their charge/lunge to close in, then short dodge to the side of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Magical Zero posted:

Also, is there any way to recover health besides potions and food on the harder difficulties?

The "sun and moon" ability in the fourth tree replenishes vitality at 10/s when out of combat.
That's where your first ability point should be spent on "Blood and Bones" and higher.

Well, I sure took my sweet time. Steam logged 10 hours for clearing all map markers in White Orchard. Didn't feel like a chore at all and that's saying something.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 20, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, the series does seem to try a bit too hard for everyone to be dickish and :siren: the nice acts are actually just as bad hahahaha gently caress you :siren:

Sure this does mean the tiny handful of things that are genuinely altruistic really stand out (the werewolf/prostitute love quest if you do it "right" in W1 for example) but most of the time it feels like the game conspires against everything that isn't selfish and self serving.

The most egregious example of this is when you get the quest to look for the missing Nilfgard scouts, and it turns out that the quartermaster has been committing war crimes for zero reason. It just seems so petty to me,

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Josef bugman posted:

The most egregious example of this is when you get the quest to look for the missing Nilfgard scouts, and it turns out that the quartermaster has been committing war crimes for zero reason. It just seems so petty to me,

It's not no reason, they don't have any food to feed the prisoners and this is a world devoid of the concepts of war crimes.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So the entire storyline with the Bloody Baron has been fantastic, but (spoilers for the end(?) of the Velen plot) I think in retrospect that empowering the forest spirit as some kind of pooka/hell horse thing was a decision a bit too informed by my prejudice against hags. Sorry Darrowmorn village!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Comte please slap whomever is responsible for Broken Flowers upside the head. I stripped down to a plain shirt and armored trousers, unequipped all my weapons and they didn't believe me when I said I was the cook. :mad:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Even if Henselt doesn't die, even if he wins at Vergen, he's still exhausted himself and his forces fighting rebels, dragons, and curses. The north was only able to stand against Nilfgaard last time because the kingdoms banded together (and luck). No way in hell Kaedwen could stand up to Nilfgaard with a broken Temeria and Aedern. Geralt only can ever really help his friends, he's not a geopolitical power player.

Yeah, that's a good point. It's just the in-game cut scene made it seem like Kaedwen got out of the war much stronger. That last part is also why I like the series. Geralt is taking part in historic events and gets to meet all the famous people, but he can't completely change the grand scheme of things.

Also, in the cut scene after fighting the first big monster yesterday, I noticed Geralt's face was affected by the potions I had taken. It looked like in the prerendered movies. Great attention to detail.

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it
Those of you playing with KBM and having issues with having to hold alt to dodge, try double-tapping a direction. It seems to do the same thing, or at least it was for me last night!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's not no reason, they don't have any food to feed the prisoners and this is a world devoid of the concepts of war crimes.

Then don't make war in the first place if you can't feed your own soldiers and captives.

Then again for all their technological supremacy the nilfgardians do seem to have an overabundance of Hubris as well.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

GarethIW posted:

Those of you playing with KBM and having issues with having to hold alt to dodge, try double-tapping a direction. It seems to do the same thing, or at least it was for me last night!

Also try this: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/how-to-rebind-keys-in-witcher-3/

I've swapped Dodge and Roll around (Spacebar is Jump, Surface, Dodge, Alt is Roll) and it feels better.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

GarethIW posted:

Whaaat? I rebound dodge to ctrl but if this is true it would make things so much easier. I think, have to try it tonight.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Magical Zero posted:

Man I keep getting hosed in combat because I try to use Ard interrupt enemy animations like you could in W2 but it doesn't seem to work against a lot of enemies in this game. Ard a Wolf when it's pouncing and it will still hit you and then recoil back after the pounce animation is finished. Overall I'm not enjoying combat at all, and I loved it in Witcher 2.

When dealing with monsters that pounce or leap, use Yrden - even if you're attacking something else, the forward movement from a light attack can make them whiff completely. Wolves and dogs can be parried and they're pretty much dead while recoiling.

Sun and Stars under General Talents is free slow regen during the day. Sadly it doesn't heal you if you meditate during the day. :(

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

iGestalt posted:

Also try this: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/how-to-rebind-keys-in-witcher-3/

I've swapped Dodge and Roll around (Spacebar is Jump, Surface, Dodge, Alt is Roll) and it feels better.

Is it possible to have dodge be tap space and roll be hold space?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Is it possible to have dodge be tap space and roll be hold space?

Maybe? If you can find the modifier for it, I guess.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

This game is amazing. I'm really enjoying the combat now that I'm starting to get the hang of it. That short dodge is awesome, especially now that I've started using it offensively.

For people who have gotten a good bit in: is it feasible to divide points between multiple specializations? I'd like to take the abilities that use adrenaline to boost signs and focus on combat and signs about evenly, but the fact that you need to invest in multiple abilities to reach the higher levels in a specialization while having limited ability slots makes this approach seem pretty wasteful. What's more, I'm not sure how many total ability points I'm likely to get.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I'm trying to stay out of this thread to avoid spoilers but has there been any other solutions to the freezes when using books? The one I posted helped for a bit but now it's back to happening again.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Orv posted:

Comte please slap whomever is responsible for Broken Flowers upside the head. I stripped down to a plain shirt and armored trousers, unequipped all my weapons and they didn't believe me when I said I was the cook. :mad:

You have to shave your head and get a barcode tattoo for that to work

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I need Moon Bombs because Nightshades are kicking my rear end. Where are they in Velen?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

About 5 hours in. Great game but the following things are really annoying (on PS4):

• The font size is waaayyy too small for item descriptions and log entries. I have to squint or get closer to my 42" TV to read them. Allow for font size adjustments.
  • The inventory system is horrendous. It feels like there should be a few more tabs and ways to mark items as important. For bombs and potions at least.
  • Inventory space/weight sucks. At least take a page from DA:I and make crafting items take no space/weight.
  • Who thought that item durability was a good thing to add? If the goal was to limit money, then lower quest rewards.
  • Interactions should be based on camera view, not player facing. Geralt's movement is finicky at best and makes getting the interaction prompt to show up a pain in some situations.
  • It would be nice to be able to show one main quest and one sidequest at once on the HUD. Show one in the current color and the sidequest another color on the minimap compass.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

You have to shave your head and get a barcode tattoo for that to work

Can I ask you a game-related question? I looked around and heard from another goon that there is no storage? As in, we can't go to a box, shove our stuff in and keep it safe for later. Is this true, or is it tucked away somewhere or unlocked later?

Not a big deal either way, just curious.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Poking my head in to ask: Anyone got spoilers on what the state of a post-Iorveth Path Vergen is as of Witcher 3? I want to at least know what happens there but I won't be playing the game for quite a while.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Josef bugman posted:

Then don't make war in the first place if you can't feed your own soldiers and captives.

Then again for all their technological supremacy the nilfgardians do seem to have an overabundance of Hubris as well.

Which is one of the things intended by the quest. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that the Nilfgaardians are the good guys, some of them may be nice, some of them may be committed to mercy and fair rule, but they are all part of a system that is currently engaged in a war of conquest that has resulted in grotesque human suffering. Quartermaster Eggebacht isn't an evil guy who loves to kill prisoners of war, he's a guy who's trying to do his job as best he can. His job just happens to be oiling a war-machine.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 20, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

iGestalt posted:

Can I ask you a game-related question? I looked around and heard from another goon that there is no storage? As in, we can't go to a box, shove our stuff in and keep it safe for later. Is this true, or is it tucked away somewhere or unlocked later?

I don't think there's any storage, but I'm not positive.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I don't think there's any storage, but I'm not positive.

Thanks for the quick answer :)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm trying to stay out of this thread to avoid spoilers but has there been any other solutions to the freezes when using books? The one I posted helped for a bit but now it's back to happening again.

Speaking of freezing, does it happen on consoles too? Or is it a PC specific problem?

Only "fix" that's worked so far is quicksaving every time before I open the inventory (And quicksaving a lot in general) so you don't lose too much time when it freezes.

(I think most suggested fixes are basically placebo - the issue happens randomly, and when someone changes a setting and it doesn't crash for hours due to pure luck, they declare whatever they did the "solution")

ymgve fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 20, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what am I supposed to do with all these flowers and brains I'm picking up

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Go here:

For level 9 Deserters with a dropped note that leads you 100M East to a chest with an OP low level sword

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I do not think they are good guys. Far from it. I am just not especially down with this whole deal of everyone being a dick to each other. That and I really wish that in one of the quests The tracking the Scoiatel who are killing the soldiers. If you defeat them you could just lie to the gaurd captain and not have to have a progrom carried out on your behalf.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Is there a Dark mode or whatever that ups the difficulty but adds new stuff?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Josef bugman posted:

I do not think they are good guys. Far from it. I am just not especially down with this whole deal of everyone being a dick to each other. That and I really wish that in one of the quests The tracking the Scoiatel who are killing the soldiers. If you defeat them you could just lie to the gaurd captain and not have to have a progrom carried out on your behalf.

I don't think it's about being a dick, few characters in this game do the things they do because they are dicks- they do things because they are engaged in systems that compel them to act in ways that are dickish and amoral. Much like the real world.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Comte, tell your bosses to release a stand alone Gwent program.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Josef bugman posted:

Hah, glad I decided to go with the other option on that one. Worst thing that happens then is the commander yells at you a bit.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'd say Immoral. The fact is that Amorality means doing things you may not like, most of the characters do not seem to care if they do horrible poo poo. Not crapping on the story. It's simply that I do not especially like it from a personal perspective.

I like doing good things that help and going "well it doesn't because you are helping racists/a war machine" might be more realistic, but it doesn't make me feel any less like the people are dicks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I appreciate that there's quite a few characters that are actually decent people this time around. Sure, there's a lot of assholes, but a lot of the average peasants you run into, for example, seem to care about others, and are often helpful for no personal gain.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I appreciate that there's quite a few characters that are actually decent people this time around. Sure, there's a lot of assholes, but a lot of the average peasants you run into, for example, seem to care about others, and are often helpful for no personal gain.

That is true at least. At this point I'd quite happily go on a shadow of Mordor esc murder spree through quite a number of areas, but the peasantry seem to be pretty nice.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Getting real sick and tired of just how many bugs are present in the game. I sometimes go an hour without a crash, then I'll get 4-5 crashes within 5 minutes of starting the game, all at different times for seemingly different reasons. Even had it crash while I had it minimized.

Then there's quests not finishing, AI simply turning off, etc. It's maddening. The game is great, but good god the stability is absolutely dreadful.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Are there any armor sets to match the (White Orchard) Serpentine Witcher blades?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Josef bugman posted:

I'd say Immoral. The fact is that Amorality means doing things you may not like, most of the characters do not seem to care if they do horrible poo poo. Not crapping on the story. It's simply that I do not especially like it from a personal perspective.

I like doing good things that help and going "well it doesn't because you are helping racists/a war machine" might be more realistic, but it doesn't make me feel any less like the people are dicks.

I know what you mean, after the baron questline I had to sit down and couldn't play for a bit, but really that's the intended effect. We're not trying to make something that engages meaningfully with the moral complexity of the real world. \

There are a lot of good people in the world, the guy in crow's perch who adopts that PTSD kid afer his parents are eaten by a cockatrice and the people who help that baron's family escape but you'll notice that none of these characters wield any power, they exist far enough outside the power structure that they are able to exercise morality in a way that the powerful (or those seeking power) cannot. Quartermaster Eggebracht would love nothing more than to send those prisoners home, or put them to work as slaves, or frankly, anything else besides executing them. But he can't because he has *orders* to deal with the problem and limited resources to carry out those orders. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

quaunaut posted:

Getting real sick and tired of just how many bugs are present in the game. I sometimes go an hour without a crash, then I'll get 4-5 crashes within 5 minutes of starting the game, all at different times for seemingly different reasons. Even had it crash while I had it minimized.

Then there's quests not finishing, AI simply turning off, etc. It's maddening. The game is great, but good god the stability is absolutely dreadful.

Odd. For me, the game has run seamlessly and i have not encountered a single bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I just noticed that you just barely can see the lights in Novigrad from Crow's Nest.