Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Verranicus posted:

At what point in the main story after leaving White Orchard do you guys figure makes the most sense to gently caress off and do side stuff?

Whenever you wish really. Maybe wait until after you've met the Baron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Played for about 5 hours so far over the last two days. The game looks better to me then the 2013 video. Have all settings maxed and hair turned on, looks absolutely gorgeous. The different color pallet alone makes it much better then what was shown previously. If I had to stare at grey constantly I would gouge my eyes out.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Verranicus posted:

At what point in the main story after leaving White Orchard do you guys figure makes the most sense to gently caress off and do side stuff?

If you leave, go back. There are a LOT of ability point power shrines!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Which ingredient refills bombs when you meditate? Is it saltpeter?

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I'm playing on the PS4 version and I can't seem to be able to skip anything. I'm punching Square like crazy. What gives?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Which ingredient refills bombs when you meditate? Is it saltpeter?

When you meditate it will consume 1 alcohol, preferring alcohest, and refill everything that isn't full- potions/bombs/oils all.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

What do you do with the Temerian Special Forces Insignias?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

zen death robot posted:

For what it's worth, I have the same card with a factory OC and I haven't had it crash yet.

I should start clarifying. Factory OC should be fine. I'm looking at overclocks that maybe getting near the edge of the bin and causing instability.

I run GPU Boost Clock 1446MHz, 7516MHz (3758*2) Memory Clock and I've been solid.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

When you meditate it will consume 1 alcohol, preferring alcohest, and refill everything that isn't full- potions/bombs/oils all.

Is there an easy way to figure out what counts as "Alcohol" for this purpose? Anything falling under "alcohol" on the crafting tab, obviously, but I've only got two things unlocked in that tab. Does the beer and vodka you can buy in inns fit the bill, too?

By the way, this is a really hard game to play when you're trying to stop drinking

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, on a related note: what's the biggest bottleneck in terms of my performance, CPU or GPU or something else? My 3 years old PC has an Intel i5 -2500 3.3ghz CPU and GeForce GTX 750. I'm playing this on high with some tweaks (similar to GTA V) but what should I update if I want the biggest boost on modern PC games?

Funny enough, the both games look good to me even on med-high settings, so I can't even imagine what it'd be like on Ultra.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
The quest to protect the battlefield scavengers in Velen is pretty tough to not fail, if only because the PS4 framerate gets slain by being in a swamp for whatever reason.

Pretty funny that you can go back to the guy who gave you the quest and be like, "Well your brother in law got ate, but I sure did kill a lot of ghouls! So how about that discount on the ferry pass or whatever"

He thinks you're joking at first and then gets pissed!

Don't blame me, blame Sony!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I'm playing on the PS4 version and I can't seem to be able to skip anything. I'm punching Square like crazy. What gives?

Skips fine for me also on ps4. Not sure what the issue is.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
:siren: Protip time :siren: keep all of your green witcher gear (or the Kaed whatever armor at least). It's a linear upgrade path and without previous items you can't progress down the path, and AFAIK there's no way to locate poo poo if you've sold or dropped it somewhere, and the starting armor cannot be crafted later in the game.

In conclusion that's a really loving dumb game mechanic and I hope to god that something that fixes it is included in the next patch

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
Anyone not have any trouble with the werewolf at all? I just shot him with the crossbow, which pulled aggro on him and him alone, then fought by the cave entrance.

In fact, that's how I initiate all my fights, I just shoot a mob with my crossbow to pull them, kill them, then pull the next mob.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Pressing the skip button only skips portions of a cutscene, I guess because it's loading stuff in the background or something. There was a boss where I had to press it like 5 times to get to the end and the individual sections would freeze up if I went too fast.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sheep posted:

:siren: Protip time :siren: keep all of your green witcher gear (or the Kaed whatever armor at least). It's a linear upgrade path and without previous items you can't progress down the path, and AFAIK there's no way to locate poo poo if you've sold or dropped it somewhere, and the starting armor cannot be crafted later in the game.

In conclusion that's a really loving dumb game mechanic and I hope to god that something that fixes it is included in the next patch

Haha I noticed that there was an upgrade to the armor in white orchard (after I sold the armor, naturally); is there an upgrade chain that goes even beyond that is now impossible for me to follow? That sucks.

Oh well, there's other gear I suppose.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Bukowski posted:

The quest to protect the battlefield scavengers in Velen is pretty tough to not fail, if only because the PS4 framerate gets slain by being in a swamp for whatever reason.

Pretty funny that you can go back to the guy who gave you the quest and be like, "Well your brother in law got ate, but I sure did kill a lot of ghouls! So how about that discount on the ferry pass or whatever"

I failed the quest before meeting the pass guy and the dialog changed to reflect that. Thats really rare in rpgs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CDPR going hard in this Eurogamer article about the "downgrade":

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-cd-projekt-red-tackles-the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sheep posted:

If you remember where you sold it you may be able to buy it back. I realized my mistake and went back to the vendor for my Kaer Morhen armor a few hours later and he still had it, like a couple hundred coins lighter for my mistake but hey.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
This game still completely fails to launch on my system, so It's broken, not downgraded, for me :(

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Haha I noticed that there was an upgrade to the armor in white orchard (after I sold the armor, naturally); is there an upgrade chain that goes even beyond that is now impossible for me to follow? That sucks.

Oh well, there's other gear I suppose.

I've found some end-game-ish patterns for witcher gear and they're linear as well. Whether the path is straight from the starting armor or if there are interruptions I can't say since I don't have all of the patterns yet, but it's something that should be made glaringly obvious before you even leave the prologue really.

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you remember where you sold it you may be able to buy it back. I realized my mistake and went back to the vendor for my Kaer Morhen armor a few hours later and he still had it, like a couple hundred coins lighter for my mistake but hey.

I'm 20 hours into the game, that's just not in the cards.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ok, Pyres of Novigrad. A tailing quest? Really? And the guy walks as slow as he possibly can for like five minutes. Didn't realize I was playing Assassin's Creed. Every other quest has been great but that part was dumb as hell and I hope it doesn't happen again.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sheep posted:

I've found some end-game-ish patterns for witcher gear and they're linear as well. Whether the path is straight from the starting armor or if there are interruptions I can't say since I don't have all of the patterns yet, but it's something that should be made glaringly obvious before you even leave the prologue really.

I'm 20 hours into the game, that's just not in the cards.

I hear you and it's total bullshit, but you never know. If you sold it you probably sold it in white orchard and there aren't that many vendors there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sheep posted:

Can you explain this a little more? Upgrade armor? I sold my original armor a long time ago after I had found better stuff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Drifter posted:

Can you explain this a little more? Upgrade armor? I sold my original armor a long time ago after I had found better stuff.

There's diagrams that let you upgrade your starting armor with crafting.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Drifter posted:

The Kaed Morhen chestpiece you begin the game with has an upgrade tree that you can only craft if you keep the previous version. In white orchard you'll get a recipe that upgrades it into a level 2 chestpiece. You need to keep that chestpiece to keep upgrading it because you can't replace it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

quote:

Before I get into the nitty-gritty, know that a big patch with 600 changes - including improvements to graphics and graphical settings - was sent to certification today (Wednesday 20th May), and will take between five and seven days to clear. There will be patch notes covering it all.

In addition, CD Projekt Red will patch the game to allow editing of .ini files on PC, to push graphical settings even higher. You will be able to tweak grass and vegetation density, post-processing effects such as sharpening, and draw distances. The .ini patch will arrive soon after the other patch. "And we think about some other tricks but we need time," Adam Badowski says.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Orv posted:

Comte, is Bart one of yours?

Borys is my only troll...

...for now.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ok, Pyres of Novigrad. A tailing quest? Really? And the guy walks as slow as he possibly can for like five minutes. Didn't realize I was playing Assassin's Creed. Every other quest has been great but that part was dumb as hell and I hope it doesn't happen again.

Just ask the beggar sitting on the scaffolding over the street, he's got the funniest lines and you don't have to follow anyone.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Bukowski posted:

In mine, the original quest giver died in the fight, so one of his workers gave me my pay plus the quest giver's share as a bonus because "the guy was an rear end in a top hat." Game owns.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
No crashes for the first 10 hours of the game, now I've had 3 inventory-screen lock-ups in about an hour. Dammit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yo, Comte. You and your boys put out a dope fuckin' game. I have some niggles, but this is a quality fuckin' product right here.
Thank you.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Delacroix posted:

The Kaed Morhen chestpiece you begin the game with has an upgrade tree that you can only craft if you keep the previous version. In white orchard you'll get a recipe that upgrades it into a level 2 chestpiece. You need to keep that chestpiece to keep upgrading it because you can't replace it.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't go past that level 2 upgrade that makes it the Warrior's Leather Jacket and by the time you finish White Orchard, you'll have better crafted/found armor anyways. Unless someone has found a diagram for something that upgrades the Warrior's Leather Jacket (doesn't seem to be the case) I wouldn't worry about it.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
If I can't bang Rosa I want a refund.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

No crashes for the first 10 hours of the game, now I've had 3 inventory-screen lock-ups in about an hour. Dammit.

If you haven't already, try uncapping the fps limit in the video menu. I got consistent lockups when i highlighted a particular sword in my inventory, shifting to uncapped fps completely removed it.

Also for everyone, going fullscreen made my fps significantly better - I had to have vsync disabled with everything on ultra because it halved the framerate, but with it on fullscreen, i could have vsync on and everything except the hair poo poo on max and still get 50+ fps.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Drifter posted:

Yo, Comte. You and your boys put out a dope fuckin' game. I have some niggles, but this is a quality fuckin' product right here.
Thank you.

right on

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Comte, in the next patch, can you allow pausing on cutscenes?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

The Hebug posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't go past that level 2 upgrade that makes it the Warrior's Leather Jacket and by the time you finish White Orchard, you'll have better crafted/found armor anyways. Unless someone has found a diagram for something that upgrades the Warrior's Leather Jacket (doesn't seem to be the case) I wouldn't worry about it.
I hope that's the case, I'm pretty sure I slam dunked that first piece of armor into the recycle bin for linen after I saw the item weight so no chance of me getting it back now. I plan on sticking with light armor and assuming Kaer Morhen upgrades to further medium armors I'm not missing out on anything I'd actually want to use anyway, but it's lame that a starting item labeled common with no unique description is integral to a few crafting recipes in a game with carrying capacity mechanics.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

The Hebug posted:

I haven't paid any attention if the starting armor has an upgrade that goes to the end since I don't even like the look of it. But Drifter didn't understand that some armor pieces have upgrades. There were a fair few TW2 recipes that required specific weapons and armor so it's not a surprise to me personally. TW3 has enough relic loot in every zone that it's not necessary to craft gear at all, for better or worse they don't suddenly drop off and spike like TW2 weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
9999 weight limit mod

About to try it myself, will report whether it blows my computer up or not.