Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are the more recent post 90s albums of Metallica (if there are any) by any means good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Grouchio posted:

Are the more recent post 90s albums of Metallica (if there are any) by any means good?
Death Magnetic had a few songs on it that are okay if you're really into Metallica but are otherwise completely skippable, but St. Anger had a reputation as being the worst album in metal history when it came out and Lulu was really weird and difficult to listen to even by Lou Reed standards

I remember back in June 2003 (the month St. Anger came out), my local record store had an entire display by the front door just filled top to bottom with used copies of that piece of poo poo, going for like $2.99 each

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 20, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Turk February posted:

This is what we call having a Bad Opinion:

I don't know why it edited Funebrarum's name to Zack Lee, but it did.

It's easy to find bad metal opinions on the internet but this one is really nonsensical.

Grouchio posted:

They're bad, just like the 90s albums.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Turk February posted:

This is what we call having a Bad Opinion:

I don't know why it edited Funebrarum's name to Zack Lee, but it did.
lol at the inclusion of "Old School Death" in that list, dude is like the incarnation of New Yorkment

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

A human heart posted:

They're bad, just like the 90s albums.

Well no, they are bad in completely different ways from the 90s albums.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

I don't think it's worthwhile writing off St. Anger completely. THERE I SAID IT.

Are there some bad things to the album? Oh my GOD yes. It has an atrocious snare, the guitar is flabby, the lyrics are painful and some of the songwriting is just atrocious.

BUT

It's pretty much the only Metallica album that is metal, but different to what they usually do and there are some loving awesome elements to it. The riffs aren't just chugga-chugga thrash like their first 4 (and best) albums, but instead have some pretty cool harmonies going on. It's just most of the cool different stuff is hidden under Lars' godawful snare and James not knowing when to shut the gently caress up on the album.

Also, if you watch Some Kind Of Monster and this interview where Jason gives alllllll the dirty details about how hosed up things were in Metallica*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFiTkWPZ8xU

...St. Anger starts to make a lot of sense. It's an album that makes me feel sad. Not depressed or melancholy, but the only album that makes me feel sad (HURR BECAUSE THE MUSIC IS SO BAD AMIRITE?). I kinda listen to the clusterfuck that is St. Anger and kinda feel their headspace a little bit. To me, that's what I love about AJFA. They were loving furious about Cliff and good lord does it show on AJFA. They were a confused, hosed up mess on St. Anger, with no emotional intelligence or way of expressing it and yeah, it shows. It's also got some of James' best vocal work that Metallica have done. There's some legitimately ballsy singing going on (and some cringe-worthy moments when he pushes too far and he can't pull that off convincingly)

Now despite all that, I still wouldn't call St. Anger a good piece of art. If you need a 2 and a half hour movie AND a 1 hour interview for your audience to understand what the gently caress was going on, then you haven't communicated effectively. Only about half the songs on St. Anger "work" whereas the other half are legitimately loving terrible. The snare, the lyrics and some of the songwriting is completely unforgivable.

But a write-off? I wouldn't say so. If you want to hear what it sounds like to completely break and tear apart 2 major alpha personalities? This is what it sounds like.

Lulu on the other hand...? Well...gently caress.

*I'd recommend watching this interview anyway. Good interview. If you watch this interview, then SKOM, then you get a REAL interesting watch. Long story short, whenever you're rolling your eyes at either James or Lars, after the interview, you know where they both stand. You spend less time going: "gently caress, you're being such a dick" and more time going: "...I see where you're coming from, but you ARE a dick"

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Oh, yeah, Some Kind of Monster definitively helps you understand better why St. Anger is the clusterfuck it is (also an amazing insight into what it means to be a rock superstar). And I had the same though process as you, I tried to give one, two, three, loving 10 more chances to that album and I still can't bear it. Like you said, the snare is atrocious (well all of the drum kit really, it's even louder than usual) and the sound compression is poo poo. I swear on some segments you can hear the sound totally saturate - and I listen on studio monitors, so I know it's not my speakers.

I can tolerate a lot of things in a recording, but not a bad mixing.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Furism posted:

Oh, yeah, Some Kind of Monster definitively helps you understand better why St. Anger is the clusterfuck it is (also an amazing insight into what it means to be a rock superstar).

Here's the thing. After watching that Newsted interview where he explains what management was like, I don't walk away with the impression that the band is a group of spoiled, self-indulgent brats. It seems more like they were pushed by management to an extreme breaking point and it's more a group of broken men, who never figured out how to deal with emotions due to being rock stars when they were in their 20s.

I think the hiring of the psychologist is a great example of this. Metallica didn't want the shrink, but their management was willing to spend $40,000 a month to hire him and keep him around. It was worth that much money to keep Metallica together than it was to let them go on a break or split up.

There aren't many bands out there where management can spend that sort of money on a daily basis in the name of keeping the band together. It seems to me that management didn't give a flying gently caress about the wellbeing of the guys in the band, they just wanted to keep the machine going at whatever cost.

Now undoubtedly during the 90s, Metallica were massive self-indulgent brats, but I find a lot of honesty in St. Anger. That is something I respect the gently caress out of.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

het posted:

lol at the inclusion of "Old School Death" in that list, dude is like the incarnation of New Yorkment

He basically went on to say that only "brutal death metal and goregrind" have obscure bands these days and that should be the whole point of a Deathfest. :psyduck:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

Technically it's Lou Reed's thing and not a Metallica album proper, but Lulu is the best thing they've done since Justice. I'm dead serious.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Also, if you watch Some Kind Of Monster and this interview where Jason gives alllllll the dirty details about how hosed up things were in Metallica*

That reminds me what ever happened to that guy? He put out that self-titled album and ep that weren't all that great, then disappeared off the face of the earth.

I listened to the IR8 vs Sexoturica split the other day; if he put out another project like that today it'd go over gangbusters. Dude has a half-decent growl.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 20, 2015

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

comes along bort posted:

That reminds me what ever happened to that guy? He put out that self-titled album and ep that weren't all that great, then disappeared off the face of the earth.

Hey, I liked the riffs on that album. :colbert:

The album isn't self-titled (it's called "Heavy Metal Music") but the band was. Apparently they disbanded in early 2014. It felt like Jason trying to prove he could produce something fairly good outside of Metallica (Echobrain was fairly 'meh' to me), and he did.

To your point, no idea what he's up to though.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Pretty bummed about Sodom having to drop off MDF, but at least I still get some German thrash with Destruction tonight.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

If anyone knows anyone looking for an extra ticket for MDF, I probably have an extra. It's the 4 day all access ticket that gets you into all the venues all weekend. One of my friends got called into work last minute and can't make it, which is bullshit but what can you do?

I'm not sure how much he's looking to get it but I'm sure whatever amount is better than eating the whole thing at this point.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I personally feel the Load album is pretty good rock. Solid songs and production.

In other news:

New Cattle Decapitation announced today and sounds decent.

https://soundcloud.com/metalbladerecords/cattle-decapitation-manufactured-extinct/s-vQ4aU

quote:

CATTLE DECAPITATION also enlisted a surprising array of guests to help achieve their vision. The one and only legendary PHILIP H. ANSELMO lends his throat to "The Prophets Of Loss" while recent signee to his Housecore Records label, fellow San Diegan and friend of the band, AUTHOR & PUNISHER, brings forth the industrial damnation as an intro to the track "Plagueborne." Additionally, Germany's dark metal misanthrope, MR. JURGEN BARTSCH of the almighty BETHLEHEM lends a spoken word piece in his native tongue to the apocalyptic final track "Pacific Grim." Your body simply is not ready.

quote:

The Anthropocene Extinction will be released August 7th, 2015 via Metal Blade Records.

Track Listing:
1. Manufactured Extinct
2. The Prophets of Loss
3. Plagueborne
4. Clandestine Ways (Krokodil Rot)
5. Circo Inhumanitas
6. The Burden Of Seven Billion
7. Mammals In Babylon
8. Mutual Assured Destruction
9. Not Suitable For Life
10. Apex Blasphemy
11. Ave Exitium
12. Pacific Grim

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 20, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Monolith of Inhumanity was really good so I'm looking forward to this

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The new track owns. The catchy bit around 2:20 made me realize I really want to hear Travis Ryan's melodic-screeching vocals on a heavy metal record a la Satan's Host.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

comes along bort posted:

Technically it's Lou Reed's thing and not a Metallica album proper, but Lulu is the best thing they've done since Justice. I'm dead serious.
I would much rather listen to anything in Metallica's discography other than Lulu. Even poo poo like "Mama Kin". Lulu sounds like the musical equivalent of drug withdrawal.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Furism posted:

I can tolerate a lot of things in a recording, but not a bad mixing.
I can't even listen to AJFA most of the time because of how bad Lars made that album sound with his lovely too loud drumming and being responsible for the inaudible bass. I loving blame him for making me notice terrible mixing in everything.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

AJFA is awesome despite the weird mix sound though.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Hammer Floyd posted:

Now undoubtedly during the 90s, Metallica were massive self-indulgent brats, but I find a lot of honesty in St. Anger. That is something I respect the gently caress out of.

Respecting it doesn't mean I wanna listen to it, though.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Varg posted:

I can't even listen to AJFA most of the time because of how bad Lars made that album sound with his lovely too loud drumming and being responsible for the inaudible bass. I loving blame him for making me notice terrible mixing in everything.

That's cool, but you're missing out on the best Metallica album.

fatherdog posted:

Respecting it doesn't mean I wanna listen to it, though.

True, but I don't think it's fair to completely write off St. Anger as a musical abortion. It's not some soul-less dreck that was manufactured with the only intention of making money.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hammer Floyd posted:

True, but I don't think it's fair to completely write off St. Anger as a musical abortion. It's not some soul-less dreck that was manufactured with the only intention of making money.
You're right, they genuinely tried to make something good and instead it was laughably bad, making it even worse than soulless dreck

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 22, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I refuse to believe that the members of Metallica have even listened to Lol-Lol all the way through, let alone you.

Has anyone? I mean really...

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Hammer Floyd posted:

That's cool, but you're missing out on the best Metallica album.

I don't understand how anyone can like AJFA, it's one of the most boring uninteresting albums I've ever listened through all the way, every song is 5 minutes too long, and the production is godawful.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Possibly Chicken posted:

I don't understand how anyone can like AJFA, it's one of the most boring uninteresting albums I've ever listened through all the way, every song is 5 minutes too long, and the production is godawful.
Hetfield pretty much carries the whole album himself. It feels weird to say as someone who's listened to extreme metal for decades, but I think his vocal performance on that album is one of the flat-out angriest things ever put to record.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Soulside Journey is the best Darkthrone album.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
There is no best Metallica album they are all equally mediocre to terrible

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I refuse to believe that the members of Metallica have even listened to Lol-Lol all the way through, let alone you.

I have more than once and yeah I'm dead serious.

Vintersorg posted:

I personally feel the Load album is pretty good rock. Solid songs and production.

Load/Reload make a lot more sense once you figure out that James Hetfield spent all his time listening to mid-90s Corrosion of Conformity and Kyuss. If they'd tuned down to C those songs wouldn't be half as lovely (aside from the multiple Enter Sandman rewrites like King Nothing and Cure).

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 21, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

nerve posted:

There is no best Metallica album they are all equally mediocre to terrible

:agreed:

The St. Anger snare tone is pretty good though, it's one of the better Colombian brutal DM snare tones I've heard.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
AJFA has its share of duds but it also has One, which is probably one of the best metal songs ever, IMO.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I don't mind the snare sound on St. Anger, I like ridiculous 80s snare sounds, I like rough bonky snares like Torgeist's first one, and it doesn't bother me on St. Anger. I don't like the song structures on that album, particularly the modern rock-isms of having soft choruses like the title track or Frantic mixed with the simplified sections which they alternate with. The vocal performance and drum sound are alright, but the general lack of killer guitar riffs and solos sucks because it's Metallica and they still delivered that when playing catchy heavy metal on their s/t and inconsistently transferred it to some extent to the Load sessions.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gamma Nerd posted:

:agreed:

The St. Anger snare tone is pretty good though, it's one of the better Colombian brutal DM snare tones I've heard.

Definitely the best wigger slam snare around. Like if Gorevent had an actual budget.

e: also thanks thread for reminding me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odVbjYeeCiU

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 21, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bruce Boxliker posted:

AJFA has its share of duds but it also has One, which is probably one of the best metal songs ever, IMO.

One is a song that has everything I needed back in the day to get into metal. It's such a good track and the lyrics/backstory are eerie as hell. I wish the guys could still pull something off like that because it's what happens when everyone in a band is firing full power.

Ride the Lightning is my favorite Metallica album though. The riffs are perfect, there's a feeling of pissed off youth with hints of needing to experiment and think outside the box. Hetfield is a monster of guitar + vocals locked together in a way he never nailed again.

I still like Metallica, even after the complete bullshit ego trip in the 90s. They obviously love what they do and even though I don't care about their new music at least they're trying new things and have been for a while. I can't help but smile when I see goofy pictures of them throughout the years and realize deep down somewhere past the inane lawsuits they're a bunch of silly goofballs who wrote enough classic songs to make up for the garbage.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/05/2...ctured-extinct/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8t8g8lU4ms

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's some pretty cool album art. Here's some pretty lame album art:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Possibly Chicken posted:

They started writing AJFA about a month after Cliff died. Reminder: This is a group of guys with no emotional intelligence who only know how to play guitar fast. AJFA is basically them grieving through the whole thing. I loving love the production because it's rough and unpleasant as hell and that suits the seriously ugly rear end riffs they have going on for most of it. The album is full of guitar wankery, but again, this is how those guys deal with their poo poo.

It's still the angriest loving record I've ever heard. The production and songwriting and ugly riffs just scream: "gently caress you"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Prepare to have a ton of posts showing much "angrier" music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vintersorg posted:

Prepare to have a ton of posts showing much "angrier" music.

Previous two Metallica albums.

But AJFA slays even though the production knocks it way down for me and that's a shame. Lars is a booger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
loving brilliant band name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2l1s1Mumyw

Song's pretty good too.