Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Bear should be heavy. I'm not really sure what the big difference between armor classes is though, just armor values or do they actually slow you down?

I might be wrong, but I don't believe heavy armor slows you down. They just focus on different stats, Light tends to be a percent increase to damage, Medium is focused on sign intensity and Heavy I would assume is extra vitality. This of course is only going based off of the witcher crafted sets of armor. The random armor you find tends to have any / none of those stats. The primary bonus is being able to combine it with the generic talent for that armor type. Each different weight also has obvious things like light providing less armor than medium as well as less resistance to certain types of attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Thanks! Gotta get out of these smelly ghost ridden ruins and get that stuff for maximum wizard mode.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pyromancer posted:

Should I make any of the alchemical things like hydragenium/rubedo/nigredo? I have all the recipes but there's seemingly no use for those.

Superior Beast Oil needs rubedo. But there's really no need to make any intermediate reagent before you need it. It's not like the recipes are going anywhere.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Where do i find a barber?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Apparently you can keep on upgrading it as the game goes on. Also it doesn't make you look like a twat. Striped gambesons are silly.

EDIT: This thread moves fast.

There are no upgrades to the starting armor beyond the one in White Orchard. Just sell it off when you get a better suit, which will probably be before you leave White Orchard.

Also striped gambesons own, sorry.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

There are no upgrades to the starting armor beyond the one in White Orchard. Just sell it off when you get a better suit, which will probably be before you leave White Orchard.

Also striped gambesons own, sorry.

My sleeveless Cat school vest begs to differ :colbert:

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

Schurik posted:

There's supposedly one in Novigrad, north of the main square.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
To those asking what happens if you decon Yen's note - you get a regular note "ingredient" that you can sell or there's a recipe that calls for paper.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Schurik posted:

There's one in Oxenfurt. You need a pass to get into the city officially, although you can just jump off the bridge and swim to it anyway and no one will seem to care/mind.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Oh hey you can use something besides a sword. The cockatrice dropped a dwarven axe. Now I've got an axe for humans and a viper silver sword for beasties.

Also holy poo poo that werewolf quest. I totally let him kill that woman.

The tower of mice quest is tragic as well and comes the closest to a happy ending thus far. I love that they take something fairy tale ish and twist it just enough to give it that bitter sweet Witcher feel.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The dwarven blacksmith in the Baron's courtyard is selling a pattern for an armor with 100% burning protection and some other nice stats for 499 coins.

Just make a mental note if you find yourself needing to stand in some flames later on.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

That Jenny O' The Woods fight is hard as gently caress, putting it off for now.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Elderbean posted:

A tip for those kind of fights. When they split up, just run away. They'll merge back together immediately, and won't heal back anything.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Elderbean posted:

Pro tip
Use the powered up version of Yrden sends a lightning bolt out when ever she gets close also seems to up the damage you do to her

It also obliterates her clones

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Wtf do you do about underwater enemies? Trying to find a smugglers treasure and there's like 10-12 Drowners constantly attacking me.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So I've hit a bug that locks up my computer every time I try to get through the hide and seek section in Crookback Bog. Anyone else have this happening to them?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Elderbean posted:

If you attack it(and other contract ghosts) outside of Yrden circle you do 1/10th the damage you'd do in Yrden because they're immaterial, if it's not in the area just concentrate on dodging.
There's a bomb with similar effect but I still didn't get the recipe to it.

Dongattack posted:

Wtf do you do about underwater enemies? Trying to find a smugglers treasure and there's like 10-12 Drowners constantly attacking me.

Dive underwater and use crossbow to one-shot them, which is kinda silly - shooting crossbow at them from land deals barely any damage.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 21, 2015

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Dongattack posted:

Shoot them with a crossbow.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Dongattack posted:

Crossbow works underwater and is *significantly* more effective while swimming. I think it insta-kills swimming enemies, but it might just do a ton of damage.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

Dive underwater and use crossbow to one-shot them, which is kinda silly - shooting crossbow at them from land deals barely any damage.

Even sillier if you remember that projectile weapons are useless underwater. And getting a crossbow wet would be a good way to gently caress it up forever.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

Who cares, fighting underwater sucks so having it be simple and easy is nice.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dongattack posted:

For 1-2 drowners: aggro with crossbow and retreat outside their leash range to reset them. Cheesy, but reliable. Did not manage to one shot them when I encountered them.

For a group of 10-12 you could try to get a boat, get close, leave the helm and try dynamite (grapeshot) fishing. No idea if it works, just from the top of my head.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 21, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Should just be able to chuck bombs in the water and have all the drowners float to the surface. pre-order canceled

EDIT: this may actually work, i've never tried

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Doubt it. I'm having bombs fizzle in puddles, there's no way they're going to work under water.

Totally should though. Comte get on the horn and make them change it. :colbert:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Autonomous Monster posted:

Doubt it. I'm having bombs fizzle in puddles, there's no way they're going to work under water.

Totally should though. Comte get on the horn and make them change it. :colbert:

I'm putting all my political capital into making the silver monocle from the prologue wearable. One thing at a time.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I don't get Gwent. Trying to fight the Soothsayer, but he plays a card and then that plays like 5 cards from his deck and now he's went from 8 to 36 and :stare:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I changed my framerate limit from 60 to unlimited and I haven't experienced an inventory crash since, played for a few hours straight. Also running in fullscreen but I don't know if that matters.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm putting all my political capital into making the silver monocle from the prologue wearable. One thing at a time.

Shoulda pushed for Geralt dong in bathhouse fight; I need to get my Eastern Promises on.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Another inventory freeze update: turned on hardware mouse and didn't have a single freeze all last night. Almost certainly confimration bias, but you never know.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

Hipster Occultist posted:

I don't get Gwent. Trying to fight the Soothsayer, but he plays a card and then that plays like 5 cards from his deck and now he's went from 8 to 36 and :stare:

Yeah that's a monster deck thing. You can gently caress him over with a biting frost card though, because it's all close combat cards.

GatewayOfLastResort fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 21, 2015

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Sometimes skill investment descriptions are a little vague. For example, Axii. I'm only interested in pumping it for conversations, and the common advice is to put 3 points into the first tier.

However, the first point description for Delusion says something like: "Target does not move towards Geralt while casting. Also increases the effectiveness of Axii in dialogues." Then the second point (like all other skills) simply says that same thing followed by a line describing an additional bonus, indicating that investing a second point just gets you that second bonus. So just going by what the game presents it looks like the extra two points in Delusion would not impact Axii in dialog.

Then there's intensity. Makes signs stronger. Does that mean it increases Axii's chance of working in dialog or is the dialog a simple check like lighting a bee's nest on fire or using Aard to clear rubble? Who knows!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Sometimes skill investment descriptions are a little vague. For example, Axii. I'm only interested in pumping it for conversations, and the common advice is to put 3 points into the first tier.

However, the first point description for Delusion says something like: "Target does not move towards Geralt while casting. Also increases the effectiveness of Axii in dialogues." Then the second point (like all other skills) simply says that same thing followed by a line describing an additional bonus, indicating that investing a second point just gets you that second bonus. So just going by what the game presents it looks like the extra two points in Delusion would not impact Axii in dialog.

Then there's intensity. Makes signs stronger. Does that mean it increases Axii's chance of working in dialog or is the dialog a simple check like lighting a bee's nest on fire or using Aard to clear rubble? Who knows!

The first skill in Axii needs to be at two to have all of its conversation options. There's no dice roll behind the scenes, Axii will always jedi mind trick the target, but if you do it in a group conversation the fail state is likely the rest of the people jumping you for witchcraft. Intensity specifically for Axii refers to the length of the stun when you use it in combat.

The other Sign intensity modifiers that I'm aware of are;
Quen - Amount of damage it can soak before breaking, knockback and damage caused on breaking if at that level of trait
Aard - Knockback distance, chance to knock prone
Igni - Armor damage if traited for it, damage of burn ticks if set alight, chance to set alight
Yrden I don't use much

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 21, 2015

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

mcbexx posted:

The dwarven blacksmith in the Baron's courtyard is selling a pattern for an armor with 100% burning protection and some other nice stats for 499 coins.

Just make a mental note if you find yourself needing to stand in some flames later on.

It's such a tease since it won't be used any time soon. It might even be a trap if you go to another zone and there's better gear or better yet, free relics in a cave somewhere.

Fat Samurai posted:

Apparently you can keep on upgrading it as the game goes on. Also it doesn't make you look like a twat. Striped gambesons are silly.

Just to be clear on this, the starting armour has one upgrade. The way the game will give you a Skellige Gambeson when you enter velen makes it pretty clear you do not carry one set of armour through the entire game. It is an (not very obvious)initiation on keeping gear to upgrade into a superior version.

There are lots of recipes that require pieces of equipment and they are varied enough that there is no one true armour set. I prioritise DoT resistance because bleeding is obnoxious and a killer on death march.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So I found myself in Velen last night with a 40% silver sword. I stumbled into what seemed like a simple quest and now I'm in some kind of underground mine or cave fighting a giant spider with several little spiders. I can't seem to beat them. Is this the only way out? I might be going back to an earlier save :(

I need to save more.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
"You really got an imp problem or is that just an imp-erfection in your notice?:smuggo:"

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Orv posted:

Yrden I don't use much

Yrden seems like the weakest sign to me. Everything else I find myself using pretty regularly, but with Yrden it's a once in a blue moon, "Will it be useful this t- NOPE!" experiment. The AoE is just too drat small and the enemies too mobile to get much use out of it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yrden seems like the weakest sign to me. Everything else I find myself using pretty regularly, but with Yrden it's a once in a blue moon, "Will it be useful this t- NOPE!" experiment. The AoE is just too drat small and the enemies too mobile to get much use out of it.

Wraiths, that's about it. Parrying arrows is way more useful than destroying them, dodging is way more useful than a minor slow and even more minor damage.

Comte, I was promised real time beard growth, not real time stubble growth. :mad:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Orv posted:

The first skill in Axii needs to be at two to have all of its conversation options. There's no dice roll behind the scenes, Axii will always jedi mind trick the target, but if you do it in a group conversation the fail state is likely the rest of the people jumping you for witchcraft. Intensity specifically for Axii refers to the length of the stun when you use it in combat.
I won't say you're wrong about needing two points because I honestly have no clue either way, but the text for the second point in Delusion only mentions reduced casting time without saying it strengthens Witcher mind trick further. While I might be expecting too much specificity from the skill descriptions, that's where the vagueness/confusion comes for me.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

It's incredibly useful against Specters (Wraiths). It's also pretty good against already slow moving enemies, as it'll slow them down even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

me your dad posted:

So I found myself in Velen last night with a 40% silver sword. I stumbled into what seemed like a simple quest and now I'm in some kind of underground mine or cave fighting a giant spider with several little spiders. I can't seem to beat them. Is this the only way out? I might be going back to an earlier save :(

I need to save more.

Yeah there's a way out back from where you came. there should be a lady who survived the attack hiding in the mine area, once you find her there's a switch that lowers a bridge out to the mine entrance. I couldn't beat the bigger one either