Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Delacroix posted:

There are lots of recipes that require pieces of equipment and they are varied enough that there is no one true armour set. I prioritise DoT resistance because bleeding is obnoxious and a killer on death march.

Casting Quen will immediately stop any DoTs on you, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I won't say you're wrong about needing two points because I honestly have no clue either way, but the text for the second point in Delusion only mentions reduced casting time without saying it strengthens Witcher mind trick further. While I might be expecting too much specificity from the skill descriptions, that's where the vagueness/confusion comes for me.

The only reason I know is prior to gaining those points I kept running into Axii options that said Axii: Requires Delusion 2, Delusion being the name of the first Axii skill. I never saw 3, so that's just an assumption on my part, but I think Delusion 3 just gives better intensity and the stagger on stun failure.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Casting Quen will immediately stop any DoTs on you, I think?

Does it?

I'm not using Quen under any circumstances so it's a moot point. :v:

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
I wished that delusion was a true passive instead of having to be equipped. It's annoying sometimes to constantly have to switch it out in the skill tree whenever I walk up to a chump.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Orv posted:

The only reason I know is prior to gaining those points I kept running into Axii options that said Axii: Requires Delusion 2, Delusion being the name of the first Axii skill. I never saw 3, so that's just an assumption on my part, but I think Delusion 3 just gives better intensity and the stagger on stun failure.

Weird, thanks! Two points it is, then.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Elderbean posted:

That Jenny O' The Woods fight is hard as gently caress, putting it off for now.

Make sure you always refresh your Yrden also, it'll do a dash through you just as it runs out every time. Just get it in your circle and fast attack it like mad until its out of the circle, back off and repeat. Once I started going on the offensive it was pretty easy actually.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I know I've done it with burning, and I'm fairly certain with poison. Bleeding I'm not sure about, I don't think I've ever been hit with that one.

Delacroix posted:

I'm not using Quen under any circumstances so it's a moot point. :v:

:crossarms:

Relying on Quen for defence is a bad idea, but there's no reason not to throw it on before a fight just in case. It's not as if it blocks stamina regen like in 2.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I set the fps cap to unlimited and also changed the setting to perform max performance in the nvidia control panel and haven't had a crash in over 5 hours. Before doing that I had about 4 in four hours all while in inventory.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Quen is a crutch and I refuse to use it in most situations simply because I'd much rather spend the stamina on kickass stuff like Aard and Igni. That said I do use Quen on enemy types where the beastiary recommends it, such as Foglings.

I can't recommend the Frenzy alchemy skill enough, whenever you have toxicity it gives you a really nice bullet time effect that lets you dodge big attacks and it really helps you perfect your game without Quen. The tier 1 oils skill is also really nice to have because it increases your chance to poison when using oils and who doesn't love poisoning monsters?

It's also worth noting that 3 alchemy skills with a greater green mutagen equals an extra 450 vitality which is a huge boon to your survival and they all help to increase the length of your potions. I run swallow and tawny oil in my quick slots and usually go into my inventory to pop a thunderbolt before fights (my thunderbolt lasts almost 3 minutes with my current skills). I started my game on death march but put it back down to broken bones because of loving drowners but my next game will definitely be on death march for that extra challenge.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Quen is a crutch

What difficulty are you on?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've found a blocked corridor with boulders shining yellow to witcher senses with icon looking like a spiral with rays. Any idea what can I do with it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Orv posted:

What difficulty are you on?

Second hardest, liberal use of dodge and roll keeps me safe (also bullet time).

alex314 posted:

I've found a blocked corridor with boulders shining yellow to witcher senses with icon looking like a spiral with rays. Any idea what can I do with it?

Probably an illusion. You get a quest item later that lets you dispel these. Check out the bogs.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Probably an illusion. You get a quest item later that lets you dispel these. Check out the bogs.

Many thanks, I hope I can go back to that place, it's a cave with elven sorcerer boss battle.

e: got that item you've mentioned from quest companion.

alex314 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 21, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Second hardest, liberal use of dodge and roll keeps me safe (also bullet time).

Yeah I've mostly been using Quen when going up against things that can one-shot me, and I just got the dodge invincibility trait maxed, so I shouldn't need it too much more.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
So how viable is an Igni + Adrenaline stuff mage build on normal difficulty?
I'm waiting for one or two more patches and maybe DLC to drop before playing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Orv posted:

Yeah I've mostly been using Quen when going up against things that can one-shot me, and I just got the dodge invincibility trait maxed, so I shouldn't need it too much more.

That skill is really ridiculously good against skull level monsters because you won't take any damage against stuff like griffins or cockatrices when they wing sweep you while you're alt dodging, it entirely eliminates the need to roll backwards, it's great.

Edit: What does adrenaline actually do? The tutorial said they're for combo's but how do I do a combo?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Does playing on the hardest difficulty give you better drops? I watched a bit of the prerelease GoG stream last week and when he was fighting the griffon he started off on the hardest difficulty setting, then turned it down and he mentioned something about not being able to get a certain drop. Is that something that made it into the final game or am I misremembering/misheard what he said?

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

sauer kraut posted:

So how viable is an Igni + Adrenaline stuff mage build on normal difficulty?
I'm waiting for one or two more patches and maybe DLC to drop before playing.

Igni is nice, especially in its second form (which is really useful for single targets.) However Aard is way better when it works, which is often with a mage style build.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Demiurge4 posted:

That skill is really ridiculously good against skull level monsters because you won't take any damage against stuff like griffins or cockatrices when they wing sweep you while you're alt dodging, it entirely eliminates the need to roll backwards, it's great.

Edit: What does adrenaline actually do? The tutorial said they're for combo's but how do I do a combo?

Some of the skills you can learn will allow you to use adrenaline to do special attack,s but I haven't done much with them. There's also a hidden feature, which is that you do more damage the more adrenaline you have, but I don't know how significant it is.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh Dandelion, you've been busy. :allears:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
You can also get the general tree Rage Management skill that lets you use adrenaline points to cast signs if your stamina isn't full.

Speaking of which I am retarded and didn't realize skills don't work unless you have them slotted :downs:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Really, Captain Ghostkisser didn't even have like, five crowns to his name? A gold ring? Motherfucker doesn't need it anymore, c'mon! :colbert:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I'm really enjoying my combat mage build, I'm only level 10 so just have both of the top two filled. I've got greater blue and red mutagens along with 3 of each colour slotted, the 40% sign intensity bonus is great - flamethrower igni sets everyone on fire meaning you can get a load of hits in, and I found a sword that has 20% chance to set enemies on fire so everyone is :supaburn: the whole time.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Autonomous Monster posted:

I know I've done it with burning, and I'm fairly certain with poison. Bleeding I'm not sure about, I don't think I've ever been hit with that one.

:crossarms:

Relying on Quen for defence is a bad idea, but there's no reason not to throw it on before a fight just in case. It's not as if it blocks stamina regen like in 2.

I'll keep that in mind for my second playthrough!

I'm not using Quen as a matter of choice. I'm a silly goofball who wants to finish death march without using it. Besides, it doesn't solve the TW2 holdovers of awful telegraphing on monsters and absence of a true guard breaker. I prefer Yrden for damage avoidance due to those reasons.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Some of the skills you can learn will allow you to use adrenaline to do special attack,s but I haven't done much with them. There's also a hidden feature, which is that you do more damage the more adrenaline you have, but I don't know how significant it is.

It's an extra 10% damage for each pip. It's nice in a long fight where you want to squeeze in any boosts.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seeing a lot of people say they're not using Quen for Death March. Is there an achievement for that or is just a personal challenge?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I like to cast Quen when I see an enemy in the distance. That way I'm shielded, the stamina regens almost immediately since combat hasn't started yet, and I can switch to a different sign. Then I just use Quen as an "oh poo poo" button.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I noticed enemies can accidentally hit and even kill their friends with projectiles, that's a nice touch. Had a bandit leader down to almost no health and he caught a crossbow bolt from his buddy to the back and died.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

I noticed enemies can accidentally hit and even kill their friends with projectiles, that's a nice touch. Had a bandit leader down to almost no health and he caught a crossbow bolt from his buddy to the back and died.

Now try headshotting bandits with your crossbow.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Jesus the outcomes of your choices in this game are a hell of a lot harder to parse out than in Witcher 2. I decided to free the spirit under the tree so it would help the children in Crookback Bog, that I assumed were fueling some unholy witch stuff. It did rescue the children but now it burned down almost all of Downwarren, the Crones put a deadly curse on Anna, and after she dies the Baron hangs himself.

Anyone else get a happier ending to that shitshow?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ghetto wormhole posted:

I cleared out an entire band of ??-level renegades by positioning myself so there was a crossbowman taking out all of his comrades. Then I finished by reflecting a bolt into him as well.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Jesus the outcomes of your choices in this game are a hell of a lot harder to parse out than in Witcher 2. I decided to free the spirit under the tree so it would help the children in Crookback Bog, that I assumed were fueling some unholy witch stuff. It did rescue the children but now it burned down almost all of Downwarren, the Crones put a deadly curse on Anna, and after she dies the Baron hangs himself.

Maybe we'll get a kickass horse somewhere down the line?

Edit: Also, if you don't rescue him, the crones eat the children. The spirit isn't exactly evil, the bad stuff happening as a result is mostly because of the Crones.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 21, 2015

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
EDIT:Oh, since it was the last thing I did last night, my Geralt now has a Leon Kennedy hairstyle because he went to a drunk barber. Coin well spent.

Poetic Justice posted:

I set the fps cap to unlimited and also changed the setting to perform max performance in the nvidia control panel and haven't had a crash in over 5 hours. Before doing that I had about 4 in four hours all while in inventory.

OK, I just tried this, and with vsync on to prevent menus from running at literally thousands of FPS (typically causes havoc with GPUs), the game immediately seems more responsive than setting the hard cap at 30 or 60, even with vsync on. It's like input latency is somehow dramatically reduced or something.

This is only jumping right into the game, so I can't say anything about stability, but I had the same problems with freezing/crashing in menus. I'll report back if anything else pops up.

Oh, and for those wondering, since vsync can often cause huge dips when you cannot maintain a given framerate, The Witcher 3 buffers the frame updates, so if you can't maintain 60, don't worry about it. Just set framerate to unlimited, and turn on vsync, if you can only get 50, you will still get 50, and most importantly it will FEEL like 50. Hell, just quickly jumping in an 50 without the artificial 60 cap enabled and it feels even more like 50 than it did prior. This is especially true in those Graphic Novel scenes, which run at 30 but looked and stuttered prior to just setting framerate to unlimited.

So even if this doesn't help my stability, thanks for this.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 21, 2015

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Some of the skirmishy/inconsequential fights I like to spam Quen liberally and laugh at the dumb monsters/people as their own attacks end up bitch slapping them back in the face.

I'm also still not used to the alt dodge and instinctively use roll way more than i probably have to.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jesus Christ Geralt, calm the gently caress down!

After getting into a barfight and leaving White Orchard, not as soon as I left the palace did I get into a another scrape looking for the imperial spy. I tried to play it cool and offer everyone a round. Then said we could go our separate ways. One of the options, when asked where your going is "not your concern" or something similar. Geralt turns around slowly, emphasizing every word: "Is it just me, or is that none of your loving business" and murdered them. WTF Geralt!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hi, it's me, the White Wolf. Don't you recognize me?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

chaosapiant posted:

After getting into a barfight and leaving White Orchard, not as soon as I left the palace did I get into a another scrape looking for the imperial spy. I tried to play it cool and offer everyone a round. Then said we could go our separate ways. One of the options, when asked where your going is "not your concern" or something similar. Geralt turns around slowly, emphasizing every word: "Is it just me, or is that none of your loving business" and murdered them. WTF Geralt!

Options in the dialog are ruder than they appear. :itisacaranalogy:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's the Gwent card I need to get before leaving White Orchard?

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm putting all my political capital into making the silver monocle from the prologue wearable. One thing at a time.

Make a HUD option to remove floating numbers TIA. I've played 100 hours of Witcher EE and Witcher 2 and never had floating numbers in those games.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm getting a 640 MB patch on Galaxy! Yay!

It's downloading at 100 kilobytes per second! Not yay!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

patch just hit:

quote:

Changelog: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.03 changelog:
Improves stability in gameplay and the UI.
Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay
Fixes grass and foiliage popping that can occur after density parameters change
Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance
Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset
Sharpen Postprocess settings extended from Off/On to Off/Normal/High
Improves menu handling
Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard
Corrects an issue with stamina regeneration while sprinting
Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occcurs when scrolling the map
Generally improves world map focus
Corrects a bug where player was able to fire bolts at friendly NPCs
Corrects an issue in dialog selections
Corrects some missing translations in the UI
Minor SFX improvements -Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water
Rostan Muggs is back

wonder how good the performance increases are!

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Please tell me someone has heard something about being able to zoom the camera out. Also the movement being such a pain in the arse but I appreciate that's much more complex to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I'm not sure on how it all works, but I ended the curse rather than killing the botchling and killed the Tree Spirit. The kids all died, which made me sad, but Anna - the wife - lives but goes crazy. Later on you go Witch Hunting with the Baron and you save Anna and kill the beast. The Baron seems to calm down a lot and swears that he will take the wife to the ends of the earth if it means she gets the help she needs. The daughter gets really confused and whatnot. I'm just wrapping up Novigrad so I haven't got to see if there's more of an impact later.

chaosapiant posted:

A lot of the time you don't have a choice in who wants to fight you. Ability points in delusion are the exception.

I really like the way the signs work in combat. Quen is OP, but there are lots of instances where it's just not viable (take for instance large packs of enemies where Igni and it's cone of effect can be more useful or Axii and it's "get hosed stop hitting me" effect can be more useful).
I also like how different enemies need different tactics to beat. I dislike how so many of the non-wraith bosses seem to be really similar. Quen, hit-hit, lose Quen, hide for regen, rinse-repeat.