Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The patch is downloading at precisely 100kb/s from Galaxy. I'm guessing they might have limited it or something? Unlike Steam I can still play while waiting for the download though, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
If you're trying to patch from within Galaxy, go to More -> Backup and Extras -> Patch 1.03. I downloaded the patch that way without any issues. It'll be in your download list at the bottom left, click on the little symbol once it's finished and it should install.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Kiggles posted:

But that wouldn't be a problem if once you are stopped you could easily course correct without dashing off the start.

Maybe momentum is the problem, I just think otherwise, because I play a ton of Monster Hunter, and it has momentum out the rear end, but because turning in place from standing isn't a big deal it works out. Provided, that game and The Witcher have different goals, I'm just saying, I don't think there is a problem with Geralt controlling 'heavy' when he is at a full run. The problem is that you go from standing to a full run in nearly an instant. If it took about a full second to get up to speed, and turning/etc would slow you down, (ignoring the sprint) I think things would be pretty solid.

At any rate, we can agree the movement is obnoxious. It would be super swell if CDPR could stand to focus test some potential 'fixes' to see what options actually work. They already have potential testing environments; the game is out. Just have blind players run around completing simple/common tasks, and record the progress. Whichever system seems to elicit the least negative reactions on Geralt's movement across all tasks, that's the one to go with.

Have you tried toggling on walking? That's what I do when I have to do some finer moving about.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

PerilPastry posted:

Are any of you guys at or even slightly below the minimum system requirements? How are you doing performance wise?

I've been playing on an i5 2500k, GTX 560ti with 8gb ram and i'm pleasantly surprised with how well it runs. I'm running it at 1920x1080 with a mixture of low-medium settings and i usually get about 24-30 fps. I can't say the low framerate is bothering me, in comparison to GTA V which i found unplayable at a similar FPS because it was harder to maneuver at high speeds. I'm sure if i played it on ultra settings for a while then came back to my setup i would think it would look horrible, but the only thing that has stood out as looking like poo poo is the lovely tree textures in the background of cutscenes. When you're actually playing the game you don't notice it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think I've ever ran out of alcohest, even though I meditate to refill constantly.

That's comforting. Right now I've been reserving it mostly for potions (Swallow seems to heal way better than food, at least in-combat, which doesn't surprise me). I do love alchemy builds in these games, though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Probably a stupid question, but I have to ask. In my alchemy tab, I can craft an alcohest. If I make one, it won't refill after meditation will it? i.e. you could just enter a loop of use alcohest -> create alcohest -> use alcohest? I only ask because the items required look more rare than alcohest itself so I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to create one.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
It doesn't use an alcohol per depleted thing. It uses one to refill everything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dilber posted:

First part is wrong. I'm running this with an 860m with default settings, have only had 2 inventory lockups in 35 hours and it's gorgeous and stable.

would my 2GB 960m, i7 core/16G ram be able to run it with better framerate than the console versions and comparable graphics?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Need a bit of advice. Where should I go first? Skellige or Novigrad? The level appears to be lower for Novigrad but everything else in it is levels 20+. Should I have stayed outside until rougly lvl 15 and went to Skellige or ..?

come on guys, pls enlighten me

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Manatee Cannon posted:

She deals damage. You could just stay behind the golem and hit it from behind forever while it tries to kill her, it seemed like it took more damage from there and when it covers itself it doesn't block its back.

I was hoping it would get pissed off enough to try to attack her but it never stopped advancing on Geralt, all it did was stop to block the lightning spam occasionally (I didn't think to run around its back then). I ended up beating it by waiting for it to charge at me, sidestep, and bash it a few times before getting out of the way. It was the same thing with Vesemir during the griffin fight, he'd try to do stuff but the griffin didn't give a poo poo.

I may have to fight it again anyway, because the game froze when I went into my inventory after the fight and I called it a session there. Hopefully it autosaved.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just run to the other end of the arena or something, the golem will totally go for her if she's closer. And she's invincible so you don't have to worry about her dying.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Junkenstein posted:

Probably a stupid question, but I have to ask. In my alchemy tab, I can craft an alcohest. If I make one, it won't refill after meditation will it?

Nah, it'll get consumed and vanish. Potions/bombs/etc are the only things that refill when you meditate, as far as I've noticed.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Orv posted:

I think, as seems to be a trend the past year or two, people are grossly overestimating what the devs can or will patch. I've gotten used to the movement, but used to and happy with are miles at odds. It'd be nice, but don't get your hopes up.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Have you tried toggling on walking? That's what I do when I have to do some finer moving about.

Yeah, it's hope against hope. Otherwise, I'm playing with a controller, so I can just use the analog. It's a bit sensitive so still a chore, but thanks. It isn't make or break. I'm really just voicing disappointment. Already dumped like 20 hours into this thing, and still having fun.

Baron Bifford posted:

This is distressing, because I am not high level enough to continue the main quest line (I am playing on Hard).
Upgrades seem to be lateral. Try exploring, as frustrating as it might be. Completing some side quests may facilitate new potions, oils, or gadgets, which might make the difference. Places of Power also grant 1 ability point when you first draw from them, which might help, although you're still limited by how many mutations you can have active. Depending on where you are, you can also grind for mutagens as well. In White Orchard, grinding the Nekkars to the West, South West will sometimes net you Lesser Blue or Green mutagens. I picked up three blues to make a Greater(?) for +7% sign intensity, since I am focusing on signs. I can't say where/how you might grind for something similar, but falls into the category of explore. Otherwise, maybe find a weapon vendor. I missed the one in White Orchard, so went out of my way to get into Novigrad and find a shop there. Probably could have just fast traveled back to the White Orchard, but whatever.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is there any way to make the "keyboard and mouse detected" go away? I unplugged my controller and it still happens :psyduck:
If I use the LockControlScheme = 2 solution, all the control hints show controller buttons.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How important is armor piercing for a steel sword :confused:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Help! My horse disappeared and I can't even whistle for it!

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sekenr posted:

You need to go to Novigrad for boat to Skellige anyway, so what choice do you have really? You'll have to see Novigrad anyway and then decide to stick around or go on further.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

MinibarMatchman posted:

would my 2GB 960m, i7 core/16G ram be able to run it with better framerate than the console versions and comparable graphics?

Yes. I have an i7 and 16g ram so you should run it even better. Mine is better than console.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Go wherever the gently caress you want, it's an open-world game. :)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Christ the crossbow underwater is kinda powerful.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Are there are any merchants that will give a decent amount of money for treasure, or am I going to have to just accept the fact that 25% of the original value is the best I'm going to get?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
As you quest prices at certain merchants will sometimes improve as your reputation improves, but it's all hidden from the player. (I think)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dilber posted:

Yes. I have an i7 and 16g ram so you should run it even better. Mine is better than console.

Great, thanks. Tired of struggling with the FPS issues on PS4 and wasn't sure if I could even run it, was stupidly relying on benchmark stuff supplied by Gamedebate

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Any work around for the inventory crashing bug?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

As you quest prices at certain merchants will sometimes improve as your reputation improves, but it's all hidden from the player. (I think)

You mean doing the quests for specific merchants? I know they say they're grateful and give you a discount on stuff. Or is there a more broad quest thing that influences how merchants feel about you? Like if you do stuff that helps the area out, they like you more and thus give you better prices?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

Any work around for the inventory crashing bug?

Set your Framerate cap to Unlimited
Turn on V-SYNC
Disable NVIDIA Streaming Service (Optional)

That fixed it for me. Also todays patch on GOG may also resolve it (untested by me yet).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What do I get from playing cards with the scholar in the first inn? Just Zoltan's card? I'm not sure if this is what people mean by buying cards from him before Vesemir bullies him out of his table.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I have to say, this really clicked for me last night. Not that I wasn't loving it anyway, but I just played through the Hunting a Witch questline, which was a really good dungeon crawl with a great companion character, good story beats, interesting battles, a riddle, the lot.

Then I came out of the cave in front of my first boat so promptly started sailing around. I looked at my map and saw that if the world is truly open, I'd be able to sail into Novigrad bay without doing those quests in my journal to allow passage across the river. On the the way, I explored shipwrecks, and passed spooky towers, found some smugglers' treasure, killed some drowners. It was night and I soon saw the lights of a big city up ahead. I was pretty awe-struck approaching Novigrad with the big moon behind it. I docked and started exploring the harbour, full of burly half naked sailors and ladies of the night. Man, this is the fantasy city we've always been promised. Elder Scrolls' eight houses and an Inn will never be the same now.

So essentially, in a couple of hours play, I got a great linear RPG and one of the most memorable open world experiences I've had. If this holds up, this will really be the best of both worlds.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Riso posted:

Help! My horse disappeared and I can't even whistle for it!

Save and reload, it seems to be a bug that happens sometimes. For me it happens every time I fast travel to a particular signpost.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Norns posted:

Christ the crossbow underwater is kinda powerful.

The crossbow in general seems pretty broken. I'd stand outside of aggro range of monsters, and just whittle down their health without taking a hit.

Very tempted to start a new game going pure crossbow.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I really, really hate the movement in this game. It is so drat hard to control. No, Geralt, don't light that candle, please just loot the bag. I understand what they were going for, it's supposed to be weighty and "realistic", but it's not realistic at all. I can turn 180 degrees on point very quickly and I'm not a loving witcher. It speaks volumes about how wonderful everything else is that I am loving the game as much as I am, even though I don't like story driven games anymore and I've never liked open world games, when such a basic aspect of gameplay is completely hosed.

A couple of pages ago, someone mentioned that Yrden sucks. The basic form is pretty situational, but it does mean the difference between dodging or not, or being able to counter or not. The Alternate version is super strong, however. It's especially strong against middle speed enemies, like most humans. Just advancing slowly and laying down a new Yrden every few steps is enough to clear out bandit camps, even of very high level bandits, all by itself. It protects you almost completely from arrows (I've seen it fail a few times, but I don't know why), hits anything that gets close quite hard and has a brief stun.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You mean doing the quests for specific merchants? I know they say they're grateful and give you a discount on stuff. Or is there a more broad quest thing that influences how merchants feel about you? Like if you do stuff that helps the area out, they like you more and thus give you better prices?

I'm not 100% on how it all works, but I know that in at least one of my quests Forefather's Eve if you do the quest and burn the Pellar's father you get a regional discount for a lot of the stores in Velen.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

She deals damage. You could just stay behind the golem and hit it from behind forever while it tries to kill her, it seemed like it took more damage from there and when it covers itself it doesn't block its back.

The golem never stopped trying to attack me when I was in close enough a range to hit it, even if I approached it from behind. What difficulty are you playing on?

^Also re: Yrden it stomps the golem too, and even if that was the only enemy it was in the game for...I accept.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hunt monsters, spend contract money on playing cards. The nerdiest Witcher.

Do any of the Gwent players have multiple cards to win or is it just one from each of them?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Anyone seen any performance gains with the patch?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

turtlecrunch posted:

The golem never stopped trying to attack me when I was in close enough a range to hit it, even if I approached it from behind. What difficulty are you playing on?

^Also re: Yrden it stomps the golem too, and even if that was the only enemy it was in the game for...I accept.

Yrden is helpful with wraiths as well. I never had much use for it in any other Witcher game but I'm getting some mileage out of it this time round.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

queeb posted:

Anyone seen any performance gains with the patch?

The opposite. I was at a pretty steady 45 fps on high settings with a gtx760 and i5-4570 before the patch, I'm generally below 30 now. I also had windows notify me that I was running out of my 8gb of RAM after about 20 minutes of playing, which has never happened before.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

NeurosisHead posted:

The opposite. I was at a pretty steady 45 fps on high settings with a gtx760 and i5-4570 before the patch, I'm generally below 30 now. I also had windows notify me that I was running out of my 8gb of RAM after about 20 minutes of playing, which has never happened before.

You should check your graphics settings again. A few of mine had been twiddled around after applying the patch.

Well, that or I'm dumb enough to change them and forget about it, which is a distinct possibility.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
So I am not entirely certain with how choosing skills works when leveling up.

Do you only get the benefit from skills that you choose if they are equipped over on the area where you can chain them with Mutagens? Or is the area over there ONLY for getting mutagen bonuses, and every skill point you spend is always going to apply to your character.

I'm thinking the latter must be how it works, because otherwise by the end of the game you are limited to only 12 different skill bonus choices which would be extremely limiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How is money acquisition in the larger world?

Because White Orchard is stingy as gently caress. It was all I could do to afford the Viper Sword set before 100%ing it.
Emerald dust is crazy expensive.