Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FauxGateau posted:

I believe higher-ups at Konami wanted to appeal to a younger audience so they changed the artstyle in the ds games. As you can see didn't really work.

More akin to Kojima was busy with Curse of Darkness and IGA wanted to appeal to the kids. I distinctly remember an anecdote from IGA saying that he asked a kid on a train what he thought about Castlevania and the kid said the games were too scary or something to that effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phantasium posted:

More akin to Kojima was busy with Curse of Darkness and IGA wanted to appeal to the kids. I distinctly remember an anecdote from IGA saying that he asked a kid on a train what he thought about Castlevania and the kid said the games were too scary or something to that effect

My mistake, I thought It was distinctly higher-up than creator level. Probably some hearsay back in the day. I gotta default to the dude with a Castlevania av.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So people really hate the art styles in DoS/PoR/OoE? Because I liked them, or at the least didn't detest them.

I think it's more the art in Aria is so striking, evocative, and interesting, and in the next game they switch to hentai-OVA-quality generic anime. It looks cheap, but it wouldn't get the hate it gets if it wasn't following up Kojima's art.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dark admission. Dawn of Sorrow was my first Castlevania game ever.

Friend had it and I was like ehhh aren't those really slow platformers with whips and he forced me to play it. Was like goddamn this owns!!! Wow this intro cinematic is the coolest thing woooah! I fixed it by going back and playing SOTN and the others but I'll always kind of be fond of DS. The DS artstyle complaint didn't hit me until Portrait when Charlotte making actual O_O ^u^ faces and whatnot.

Also Matt's story made me cringe. I'm a regular at the gamespot near me to the point where if I overhear anything like that I strike up conversation myself. Usually ends with the employee going "yeah well... he's right about whatever and the game I'm pushing is kinda flawed but... eh..." I'm surprised the guys there are super nice to me with how often that happens.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 21, 2015

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Personally, I've got a soft spot for the artstyle because Portrait of Ruin was my first castlevania game.
Dracula X Chronicles was my second, though, and also everyone should get Dracula X Chronicles, it's great.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Dawn of Sorrow was also my first Castlevania and the art didn't really bother me at the time, but going back and looking at the older games really made me realize how much of a dip in quality the art was.

The game itself is still really good though. All of my complaints are entirely about the art and not the gameplay.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
matt's gamestop story made me fast forward on account of secondhand embarrassment and not at the reason matt intended

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The talk about Nintendo booth and ride gimmicks killed me. I'm dead

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Does the change in art style between Aria and Dawn of Sorrow only affect the dialog portraits? That alone doesn't seem important enough to get worked up over.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Captain Invictus posted:

They forgot to suggest the slide ride where you plummet into infinite blackness if you fall off.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

L E T M E S H O W Y O U T R U E H O R R O R

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also Matt's story made me cringe. I'm a regular at the gamespot near me to the point where if I overhear anything like that I strike up conversation myself. Usually ends with the employee going "yeah well... he's right about whatever and the game I'm pushing is kinda flawed but... eh..." I'm surprised the guys there are super nice to me with how often that happens.

Whoops, I forgot to ask before because I was typing dumb poo poo. Timeframes on Matt's story and the gimmicks?

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 21, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rhonne posted:

Liam finished destroying Ariea of Sorrow but I guess there's still more videos. I'm guessing he's planning on going through boss rush and showing off the special New Game+ weapons.
Liam mentioned on Reddit that there's one more video covering boss rush and Julius Mode.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RareAcumen posted:

L E T M E S H O W Y O U T R U E H O R R O R

Whoops, I forgot to ask before because I was typing dumb poo poo. Timeframes on Matt's story and the gimmicks?

Will page through in a bit but I think it's early on.

Matt goes to Gamestop and a customer is asking a employee for MKX, Employee tells the customer "No fighting games are all the same and nothing has changed in all the years it's trash." then adds. "Get the best action game every made - DmC Devil May Cry!! It's cool cause it's got none of that leveling up poo poo and instead you level up your GUNS." Customer continues to try and get MKX but employee just goes nuts over DmC while Matt's apparently standing there cringing.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The bloodborne run isn't that bad outside of the leveling. People are just really lovely about Souls games.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The only thing that annoyed me real bad was that stretch when Pat and Woolie were only using the R2 2h heavy axe attack on loving everything for several updates. It was just very, very boring to watch.

(Hopefully I don't sound like an rear end in a top hat souls fans, I've never played any of the souls games cause they look slow and boring as gently caress, but I gave bloodborne a shot, loving it and I'm getting to the end of my first NG+ with the Stake Driver because idgaf and its cool)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gonzo McFee posted:

The bloodborne run isn't that bad outside of the leveling. People are just really lovely about Souls games.

the leveling is really bad though. Woolie should have stood up to Pat. Why back down from someone you can spike like a red-headed football?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Blockhouse posted:

the leveling is really bad though. Woolie should have stood up to Pat. Why back down from someone you can spike like a red-headed football?

He's saving that for the end of the LP.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't even think the leveling is that bad if you're coming from a Souls game perspective (ironically enough), from what I've looked into. "When in doubt, get more life" was Pat's mantra in DS2, and the scaling on the Hunter's Axe is pretty limp even for Bloodborne. Of course, what they are missing is that Gems multiply stats by percentage, so an extra 30 ATK (which is more or less what they would've gotten from 10 STR points) actually becomes an extra 80 or so if you have good gems slotted.

Plus, it still hasn't impeded their progress AND they haven't hit skillcaps either. They just hit a soft cap and Pat noticed it, so there you go, they're leveling STR now.

Souls' games are obtuse as gently caress.

so are souls fans

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It has impeded their progress in as much as they can't even begin to explore outside Cainhurst because they can't touch the mobs there. It has just generally slowed everything down, and lead to them fighting with the ferocity of kittens.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's nothing out there so who cares

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They don't know that, and if you hadn't said it I wouldn't know it either. Because they can't even begin to explore that area.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

They don't know that, and if you hadn't said it nor would I. Because they can't even begin to explore that area.

You can always just do a mad dash. Which they did. Also, the enemies you ARE supposed to fight they're killing with a combo. Which, again, proves that it hasn't impeded their ability to progress.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dias posted:

I don't even think the leveling is that bad if you're coming from a Souls game perspective (ironically enough), from what I've looked into. "When in doubt, get more life" was Pat's mantra in DS2, and the scaling on the Hunter's Axe is pretty limp even for Bloodborne. Of course, what they are missing is that Gems multiply stats by percentage, so an extra 30 ATK (which is more or less what they would've gotten from 10 STR points) actually becomes an extra 80 or so if you have good gems slotted.

Plus, it still hasn't impeded their progress AND they haven't hit skillcaps either. They just hit a soft cap and Pat noticed it, so there you go, they're leveling STR now.

Souls' games are obtuse as gently caress.

so are souls fans

This, pretty much. BB straight up lies about how much damage comes out of leveling those stats, so it's totally understandable Pat doesn't want to touch them before soft-capping Vit and End. I don't know why people don't get that Pat actually has good reasons for ignoring DPS stats, because from the information available to him, they look useless.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The enemies outside Cainhurst are major pain in the rear end no matter how you allocated your stats.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Andrast posted:

The enemies outside Cainhurst are major pain in the rear end no matter how you allocated your stats.

I hate those loving things so much. Especially when I'm backtracking in chalice dungeons and run into one that wasn't there before (they have a chance to spawn near corpses of enemies you used visceral attacks on).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wiseblood posted:

I hate those loving things so much. Especially when I'm backtracking in chalice dungeons and run into one that wasn't there before (they have a chance to spawn near corpses of enemies you used visceral attacks on).

Do they have a gimmick I'm unaware of?

Also new episode is up. Pat trying to hide and blowing up is a highlight. I knew this boss was going to be special :allears:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Nah, no gimmick (other than the chalice dungeon thing). They're just annoying.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Wiseblood posted:

Nah, no gimmick (other than the chalice dungeon thing). They're just annoying.

Yeah, other than the werewolves on the Yharnam bridge at the beginning of the game and the undead ones in Yahar'gul, they're the worst non-boss enemies in the game. Thank goodness for the reach I had with my axe which I used for 95% of the game.

I finished the game a few days ago (the bosses in Mensis were complete pussies after fighting Ebritas like 40 times) and apparently got the "good" ending (spoiler-ed just in case): Allowing Gehrnam to kill me so I could wake back up in the real world, which doesn't make much sense since you get thrown right back into the beginning of the game immediately after the credits what is this Ghosts 'N Goblins poo poo.. All in all, it was a great experience, even though I played offline (not buying PSN for one game when I have a backlog on the Xbox One and Wii U) and never did any of the chalice dungeons. What is the benefit of those dungeons for someone that's already went through the main story?

Either way, I now want to play through the other Souls games eventually.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

Yeah, other than the werewolves on the Yharnam bridge at the beginning of the game and the undead ones in Yahar'gul, they're the worst non-boss enemies in the game. Thank goodness for the reach I had with my axe which I used for 95% of the game.

I finished the game a few days ago (the bosses in Mensis were complete pussies after fighting Ebritas like 40 times) and apparently got the "good" ending (spoiler-ed just in case): Allowing Gehrnam to kill me so I could wake back up in the real world, which doesn't make much sense since you get thrown right back into the beginning of the game immediately after the credits what is this Ghosts 'N Goblins poo poo.. All in all, it was a great experience, even though I played offline (not buying PSN for one game when I have a backlog on the Xbox One and Wii U) and never did any of the chalice dungeons. What is the benefit of those dungeons for someone that's already went through the main story?

Either way, I now want to play through the other Souls games eventually.

thats actually the bad end

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

No the bad end is the other non-secret one.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

scary ghost dog posted:

I figured the one where you kill Gehrman and become the new hunter advisor which leaves you trapped in the dream forever would be the Bad ending.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
They're all bad endings, actually. If you choose to die, you wake up, but nothing you've done matters in the long run because Yarnham's still going to be running around using the Old Blood and people will become monsters. If you become the next Gehrman, you're just part of perpetuating the babycrazy Cthulhus' system. If you get the "true" ending, well, you're a baby squid being raised by a doll, p hosed up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Angry Walrus posted:

If you choose to die, you wake up, but nothing you've done matters in the long run because Yarnham's still going to be running around using the Old Blood and people will become monsters. If you become the next Gehrman, you're just part of perpetuating the babycrazy Cthulhus' system. If you get the "true" ending, well, you're a baby squid being raised by a doll, p hosed up.

I see nothing wrong with that last one, the squids are cute in a sort of disgusting way and the doll is a cutie too. It's the cutest ending :3:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Angry Walrus posted:

They're all bad endings, actually. If you choose to die, you wake up, but nothing you've done matters in the long run because Yarnham's still going to be running around using the Old Blood and people will become monsters. If you become the next Gehrman, you're just part of perpetuating the babycrazy Cthulhus' system. If you get the "true" ending, well, you're a baby squid being raised by a doll, p hosed up.

I figured the one I got was favorable since the vibe I got from it was the source of the Nightmare was killed and all the Great Ones were killed as well, effectively cleansing the disease that was inhabiting the game world throughout the game. It can be debated that the "true" ending where you become an infant Great One leads you to start a new human race or civilization in that specific place from scratch, but that doesn't make sense after you've spent half of the game killing Great Ones and finally the infant Great One that Mergo was guarding...unless I missed something. So aren't the Great Ones the bad guys?

Hopefully the eventual story DLC clears some of this up.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rodyle posted:

No the bad end is the other non-secret one.

its the bad end because u miss two bosses

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

No it isn't. Stop deciding the different endings are "good" or "true". They're just different consequences and it's up to you whether that outcome is bad. Personally the ending where you "wake up" still involves you ending the nightmare of Mensis. That still happened. Yeah the Moon thing is still up there twirling his evil 5th dimensional mustache but taking him on involves either becoming trapped or becoming a squid baby. As cycles go it's not that bad when compared to the horrific poo poo that was the undead curse in Dark souls.

scary ghost dog posted:

its the bad end because u miss two bosses

Oh for gently caress sake.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

No it isn't. Stop deciding the different endings are "good" or "true". They're just different consequences and it's up to you whether that outcome is bad. Personally the ending where you "wake up" still involves you ending the nightmare of Mensis. That still happened. Yeah the Moon thing is still up there twirling his evil 5th dimensional mustache but taking him on involves either becoming trapped or becoming a squid baby. As cycles go it's not that bad when compared to the horrific poo poo that was the undead curse in Dark souls.

did u think the first ending in aria of sorrow was good because soma never became dracula

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Missing the final boss fight seems pretty bad to me, especially considering how good it is.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Regarde Aduck posted:

You see it's bad because then you can't go on the internet and brag about how easy the last two bosses were. Don't tell me you're playing Bloodborne for fun instead of e-cred? Also don't ever argue about anything related to Souls' lore because you'll just end up tearing your hair out from all the :spergin: about what's "true."

I would say for Pat and Woolie, one of the endings involving the last few bosses would be good just because they're doing an LP and usually the point is to show off as much content as possible. But I don't really give a poo poo about whether it's the "true" ending according to some super-fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Missing the final boss fight seems pretty bad to me, especially considering how good it is.

"good end" is not a quality label