Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
My dad used to be super hot for t'pol but apparently he was under the misimpression that she was played by a very light skinned black woman and now no longer finds her hot after finding out she''s white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

dadrips posted:

went on to Netflix to watch some DS9 again and lol'd when I noticed my progress from the last time I watched series 2

what a loving terrible episode it is

It's such a product of the times - namely the period immediately after the ADA passed when everybody was shoehorning people in wheelchairs into their media.

The episode is also notable because it's the first time Dr. Bashir gets laid

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nigmaetcetera posted:

My dad used to be super hot for t'pol but apparently he was under the misimpression that she was played by a very light skinned black woman and now no longer finds her hot after finding out she''s white

My reaction to Enterprise was always, "why does a vulcan need breast implants"?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Sunshine posted:

It is logical if you are working with shallow humans all the time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's such a product of the times - namely the period immediately after the ADA passed when everybody was shoehorning people in wheelchairs into their media.

The episode is also notable because it's the first time Dr. Bashir gets laid

instead of Bashir's crew of space spergs he should have hung out with the BK Kidz Crew in a holosuite

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Luigi Thirty posted:

instead of Bashir's crew of space spergs he should have hung out with the BK Kidz Crew in a holosuite

Please do not spoil my fan fiction, tia.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

lol. i am watching ds9 for the 1st time and that is the very episode i am up to. guess i should expect some boredom

actually what you should expect is zero-g cripple makeouts

and this

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Did she have really obvious breast implants or something? I didn't notice when I watched the first 6ish episodes of ENT when it aired.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Volcott posted:

Did she have really obvious breast implants or something? I didn't notice when I watched the first 6ish episodes of ENT when it aired.

lol yeah p much

even tho i think she was in her 20s when that show aired they were still too perky

at first i chalked it up to superior vulcan physiology but then i realized the truth

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Same reason God needs a starship.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The real answer is probably unfortunately pretty sad. I guess Jolene Blalock had dealt with some pretty serious body image issues because of her stint as a model. She said somewhere that switching to acting at first was really hard because she didn't have to be like, retarded skinny to feel good about herself or something.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

all i know is that i love her.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fetus Tree posted:

The real answer is probably unfortunately pretty sad. I guess Jolene Blalock had dealt with some pretty serious body image issues because of her stint as a model. She said somewhere that switching to acting at first was really hard because she didn't have to be like, retarded skinny to feel good about herself or something.

all I know is those scenes in the decontamination room were basically the only reason I kept watching that show

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I actually enjoyed enterprise for what it was. Its good:bad episode ratio isn't really much worse than the rest of the franchise.

Like I've said before, a lot of star trek fans, especially on this site, enjoy TNG 'despite' seasons 1, 2, and 7. Same thing with DS9. Voyager is almost universally detested here.

I enjoy most trek for what it is, a dumb show about dumb poo poo with some cool actors and pew pew

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Fetus Tree posted:

Voyager is almost universally detested here.

Except for the Doctor. The goon hivemind gives the Doctor a pass.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Powered Descent posted:

voyager is tng w worse actors and if it came out after TNG instead of after DS9 goons wouldnt hate it nearly as much probs

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

enterprise 1-2 is watchable because its trek, 3 is good TV and 4 is absolutely excellent TV.

TNG season 1 is one of my favourite seasons, not trying to be controversial, its basically ToS with a 90s sheen, I dig it. 7 is great TV, people who complain about it are just trying to look smart.

Voyager is 95% absolutely atrocious TV sprinkled with some passable TV and 3-4 brilliant episodes, but its trek so I'll still watch it.

DS9 is solid all the way through, not a bad episode for me. even the cripple one y'all complaining about.

ToS is amazing 99% of the time. Spock's brain owns. Catspaw owns.

TAS owns.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I actually really dig TNG s1/2 as well. The music is really loving great and it has the best sense of exploration out of any TNG seasons imo

I also think thats largely due to the way the actors play it. Like, its kind of new to them as well so to me it helps add to the sense of wonderment and all that.

Time to watch some goddamn S1/2 TNG I see. I wonder what episode :3:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Powered Descent posted:

Same reason God needs a starship.

lmbo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

Only because he's a bald loner with sperg problems interacting with other people.
He's a mirror of ourselves basically.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
there was another character on voyager i thought was pretty cool, besides tuvok, but i literally cant remember so maybe not

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Seven of Nine was genuinely great. Broccoli too - the ep where he's acting like James Bond was lol.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

opus111 posted:

enterprise 1-2 is watchable because its trek, 3 is good TV and 4 is absolutely excellent TV.

TNG season 1 is one of my favourite seasons, not trying to be controversial, its basically ToS with a 90s sheen, I dig it. 7 is great TV, people who complain about it are just trying to look smart.

Voyager is 95% absolutely atrocious TV sprinkled with some passable TV and 3-4 brilliant episodes, but its trek so I'll still watch it.

DS9 is solid all the way through, not a bad episode for me. even the cripple one y'all complaining about.

ToS is amazing 99% of the time. Spock's brain owns. Catspaw owns.

TAS owns.

TAS was pretty terrible tbh.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Orange Sunshine posted:

Why?

You spend 8 hours in the brig staring at some prisoner in the holding cell, and then you get off, and now you have free time. There's no entertainment on the ship, other than the holodecks. There are 3 holodecks, and 1000 crew members. This means you will get approximately 1 hour of holodeck time every two weeks. Except, you won't really get that much, since the senior staff monopolize the hell out of them and use them whenever they want. So maybe an hour a month.

The ship flies around, with the senior staff doing interesting things, but you won't be a part of any of it. You can sit in the bar and drink fake alcohol and maybe Guinan will talk to you, then go back to your quarters and replicate yourself a trombone or something. Then wake up and do it all again. Or you could live on earth, and do whatever you want whenever you want.

Why don't they just have the holodeck contain hundreds of holodecks?

Blew your mind didn't I?

:smuggo:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Shadow posted:

Blew your mind didn't I?

isnt that literally an episode

like the moriarty one basically

'omg we're still on the holodeck!!'

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shadow posted:

Blew your mind didn't I?

Things seem to be moving in the direction of making the entire ship into a holodeck. At least on Voyager, Sickbay already is one, kind of. Why not make the bridge a holodeck too? "Computer, give me another tactical station right here. And we're going to need to see behind us for this battle because of this week's plot point, so put another main viewer in the back wall. Hell, you know what, just get rid of the walls and make it look like we're sitting in the open on top of the saucer."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Powered Descent posted:

Things seem to be moving in the direction of making the entire ship into a holodeck. At least on Voyager, Sickbay already is one, kind of. Why not make the bridge a holodeck too? "Computer, give me another tactical station right here. And we're going to need to see behind us for this battle because of this week's plot point, so put another main viewer in the back wall. Hell, you know what, just get rid of the walls and make it look like we're sitting in the open on top of the saucer."

At least one of the novels did just that. The entire ship was wired like a holodeck so holo-crew could go anywhere and rooms could be built / reconfigured on the fly. It was some fancy demo-ship for a crazy admiral I think.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Entropic posted:

TAS was pretty terrible tbh.

hey pal, fuk you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

At least one of the novels did just that. The entire ship was wired like a holodeck so holo-crew could go anywhere and rooms could be built / reconfigured on the fly. It was some fancy demo-ship for a crazy admiral I think.

There was that episode of Voyager with Andy Dick that did that. He was the new EMH and him and the Doctor were the only ones on the ship.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Well they should have had a series of holodecks inside the holodeck and solved the problem of "but it's my turn :qq:"

Also Andy Dick sucks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The ship also for some reason could split into three parts, it was really stupid.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Remember the first episode when Picard has Riker reconnect the thing all manually because reasons?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Fetus Tree posted:

voyager is tng w worse actors and if it came out after TNG instead of after DS9 goons wouldnt hate it nearly as much probs

nope. voyager has better actors, with much, much worse writing. any episode of voyager that approaches watchable is because of the acting and despite the writing. thats why we hate voyager, because it blew so much potential, it constantly found new ways to disappoint you

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
fine, if voyager has better actors, it definitely has worse acting

it is a completely moot point as to why that might be but when your only sympathetic characters are a cyborg, emotionless vulcan, and a hologram you dun goofed

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I liked Janeway sometimes, but so much of the time I didn't. They really squandered a potentially interesting everything and a pretty fun actress. She should have kicked a little more rear end and had an arc, not played around with dumb poo poo in the holodeck and have an ethical transplant every other episode.

God that holodeck stupid town loving sucked.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
idk didnt tom replace harry's date with a donkey once

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

a broken clock is no delight, but twice a day the time is right

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVo5bDSlQtU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

so i watched melora and it really was pretty awkward and bad, but the b plot was...ah it wasn't very good either. do they bring back that klingon restaurant guy? he made the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The thing I like about Voyager is that it seems more self-aware. "Why are we dicking around and not just beelining home?" is a repeated refrain. The character who annoys all the viewers annoys all the other characters as well. The Vulcans spent most of their time rolling their eyes. Mind melds are a basically a disaster every time they happen, and the doctor isn't at all hesitant about pointing that out. Star Trek is a fundamentally goofy execution of a fundamentally goofy premise, and Voyager is the only one of them that seems to be in on the joke. (How can you not love Klingons interrupting a Nazi firing squad?)

• Locked thread