Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Xavier434 posted:

First day of playing. Games owns and this thread moves fast. I am experiencing a little stuttering and would like to increase my FPS some. Are there any common settings I should turn off or tweaks that a lot of people are using?

HairWorks is the first thing to drop, if you've got it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp
After playing the game for like 15 hours so far I kind of agree with that video posted.. the combat reminds me of Shadows of Mordor, extremely shallow and casual. Along with the visual downgrades, this game doesn't personally meet the hype for me. The world feels kind of dead to me too, pretty much all the same generic poo poo over and over. It's not a bad game.. but I expected a lot more from this one. Best part of the game are the character models/details sadly.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Choccy Starfish posted:

I agree.

I also agree with the minority, and combat really is pretty lovely. I think a lot of it is to do with, what I perceive as command lag.

It's really bad combat and lol that people think it's good. The camera is utter loving poo poo

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't hate the combat, but I'd agree that it is quite janky, which is not too surprising I suppose given it's an Eastern European developer.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xenoith posted:

After playing the game for like 15 hours so far I kind of agree with that video posted.. the combat reminds me of Shadows of Mordor, extremely shallow and casual. Along with the visual downgrades, this game doesn't personally meet the hype for me. The world feels kind of dead to me too, pretty much all the same generic poo poo over and over. It's not a bad game.. but I expected a lot more from this one. Best part of the game are the character models/details sadly.

I really can't see how anyone could think the world is 'dead'. It's grim and dark and pretty depressing alot of the time, sure, but it's wonderfully crafted. Velen really feels like a hosed up war-torn shithole more than any other game I can think of.

On another note, the very first quest I picked up there was to go and find some dude's brother and some women in a mine. Everything went fine until I found the huge spider mother. Everything up to that point was level 4 or 5, but I couldn't work out why it was killing me in one hit, and why it's health bar wasn't dropping. Turns out the quest was level 33 or something. Seems weird to have that quest available so quickly, and for the mobs leading up to the boss not to be a higher level. Took me a half hour to get to the boss, only to find that there was no way I was going to be able to kill it yet.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 22, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Drifter posted:

Tell us your graphics card.

I have a 760 @ 1680.1050 and run with medium water, high everything else, ultra detail. No AA, medium shadows. I get about 45-50fps. Game is pretty as gently caress.

I used to have AA, but I literally can't see a difference.

670 @ 1920x1080 and I just picked high for everything and turned off motion blur.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the combat's fine if you're good at it at all

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Fonzarelli posted:

the combat's fine if you're good at it at all

It's easy, that's not what's bad about it

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Combat is fantastic once you get the hang of it and get some levels / abilities. Is upgraded axii basically just the enemy didn't need that head anyway mode?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

How do you kill the underwater mobs?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
The main issue I have with combat is it I can't figure out the priority system for targeting, like when I had to fight the Wild hunt dude in the cave with Keira the auto target kept switching to him when he was invulnerable despite there being two dogs between us that I had to kill first.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
People having a hard time with combat need to really get the hang of the two forms of evade, and not just roll everywhere. And then also to not try to get in to fights with more than two things at one time. And to also use your spells and bombs. And to not use that target lock.

That said, it feels sometimes that Geralt's hit box is a little bigger than it should be, or that the game decides that you've been hit before any animation has even taken place. My biggest point against the combat is when enemies are getting hitstunned or whatever by your swords and then all of a sudden are attacking you, with no animation difference.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 22, 2015

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If you're fighting a group of enemies, don't auto-target. You limit your movement and your vision. Just push the stick towards them and hit the attack buttons.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Drifter posted:

People having a hard time with combat need to really get the hang of the two forms of evade, and not just roll everywhere. And then also to not try to get in to fights with more than two things at one time. And to also use your spells and bombs. And to not use that target lock.

That said, it feels sometimes that Geralt's hit box is a little bigger than it should be, or that the game decides that you've been hit before any animation has even taken place. My biggest point against the combat is when enemies are getting hitstunned or whatever by your swords and then all of a sudden are attacking you, with no animation difference.

Yeah, but in some cases it's predictable, like with Ghouls I can tell if they dodge back twice, should I hit them one more time they will 100% counterattack in the same moment, so either I push for that hit and then spam dodge or just pull back and let them charge me instead so I can counter.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

iCe-CuBe. posted:

It's easy, that's not what's bad about it

your posts in this thread are really really bad, you should play another game and stop posting

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah my honeymoon period with combat is done, it felt really good in White Orchard but now the game is way too punishing and I feel its way too tedious and repetitive now. I'll just move down to Easy like I did with 2.

WRPGs really have the damnedest time having anything close to fun combat.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jean Eric Burn posted:

How do you kill the underwater mobs?

Crossbow.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am in the starting area, and got the quest at the well before I go to fight the noonwraith Geralt says "hey I better make some oil and potions" but I don't seem to have recipes for either of those? I tried fighting without but got my rear end handed to me.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Had my first ragequit moment tonight doing the quest to turn the Bloody Baron's miscarried child into a guardian spirit or some such. The latest available save point is for some reason gated before a lengthy dialogue scene, a casual walk, a difficult fight, another walk, and then another difficult fight except this time against teleporting enemies in an arena full of low scenery that fucks with Geralt's movement and blocks your roll dodges. You cannot save at any point during the sequence and dying sends you right back to the initial dialogue.There might be another difficult fight too but I don't know because I didn't make it past the RPG pathing torture chamber.

Please, please, stop loving putting the checkpoint before the cutscene. This is some 2005 level rookie mistakes.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
When do you start seeing heavy armor? I'm up to Novograd now and I haven't seen a single piece.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I've never had the targetlock switch targets once for me without me hitting left or right on the right stick.

It'd make me laugh if it turns out that since the mouse is used for camera movements like the right stick on a controller, moving the mouse during combat changes the target.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fonzarelli posted:

your posts in this thread are really really bad, you should play another game and stop posting

Fonzarelli posted:

I love this game so much. After playing so many bioware rpgs with bad dialogue and crappy quests and boring mary sue characters, playing as manly sarcastic sex-machine Geralt is a breath of fresh air.

:whitewater:

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Accordion Man posted:

the game is way too punishing

Best way to get used to it is honestly use one more technique than you have been using when you get to a hard fight.

I've found plenty of situations where I die and then 2 seconds later I change technique slightly to something I rarely bother with and wipe the floor.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

lol that dude was complaining that they hyped people moving in when you finish a quest, like the marketing is something that matters. he's a shitheel.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Silvergun1000 posted:

When do you start seeing heavy armor? I'm up to Novograd now and I haven't seen a single piece.

Check merchants, some of them sell map pieces which lead to the various witcher sets, one of which is heavy (Ursine).

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fonzarelli posted:

lol that dude was complaining that they hyped people moving in when you finish a quest, like the marketing is something that matters. he's a shitheel.

U dumb.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Fonzarelli posted:

Of course the marketing matters when it's selling you a $60ish game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ehh, sure you get used to the controls and can master them eventually; the fact you have to do this at all is pretty weak on their end as I never had this problem with 1 or 2. Geralt is just way the gently caress all over; the fact you have to learn his unintuitive moves is just bad design. (The annoying keybinds for keyboard are just what you have to suffer for getting a better framerate and maybe graphics later if you get hard/wet over that petty poo poo)

If you look at the original trailer you can see how the combat that was way slower and heavier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ony2r0QFs

Also is that just late game Stamina regen and Sign levels? Because they feel gimpy as poo poo aside from Quen and Slow, which is sad. If Force Push is weak at least let me spam it yo.

And jesus why is there not the option of having autosaves periodically? Wasn't this in the other ones?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Children, please.

I had forgotten how completely and utterly insane Letho's accent is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If you look at the original trailer you can see how the combat that was way slower and heavier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ony2r0QFs
That combat looks like someone with very high levels against some pretty weak guys, that's all. The dodges look the same and I suppose some of the attacks come out a little faster (which, I won't lie, I'd like.)

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Broken Cog posted:

Check merchants, some of them sell map pieces which lead to the various witcher sets, one of which is heavy (Ursine).

Yeah I think I have one, but when I read it from my quest item screen, I don't get a quest for it. Only map that I've had any issues with. Hope I'm not bugged.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ehh, sure you get used to the controls and can master them eventually; the fact you have to do this at all is pretty weak on their end as I never had this problem with 1 or 2. Geralt is just way the gently caress all over; the fact you have to learn his unintuitive moves is just bad design. (The annoying keybinds for keyboard are just what you have to suffer for getting a better framerate and maybe graphics later if you get hard/wet over that petty poo poo)

Also is that just late game Stamina regen and Sign levels? Because they feel gimpy as poo poo aside from Quen and Slow, which is sad. If Force Push is weak at least let me spam it yo.

And jesus why is there not the option of having autosaves periodically? Wasn't this in the other ones?

This combat looks the same, but maybe they're playing on easy. When Gera;t's fighting the bandits he's moving just as fast, it's just that they're not running after him or attacking.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Orv posted:

Children, please.

SAWSeresses

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Orv posted:

Children, please.

I haven't played Witcher 2 so I only have a vague idea who he is, but I love him. :allears: Some guy is doing his best gruff voice and can't decide what accent he's supposed to be doing and it's wonderful.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bussamove posted:

I haven't played Witcher 2 so I only have a vague idea who he is, but I love him. :allears: Some guy is doing his best gruff voice and can't decide what accent he's supposed to be doing and it's wonderful.

His throat is from Brooklyn but his palette is from Leicestershire. :iia:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Fonzarelli posted:

Don't argue with them, some people are determined to find something to bitch about.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what this game wants from me on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty. Why can an equal-level enemy (I'm 6, it's 6) kill me in two hits? Three hits if I put Quen up. I just don't get the point of this. I wanted this challenging, not "save before every battle because you die in three hits, and if you get hit once you'll probably get hit again."

I also don't know why I refuse to turn it down--probably because I'm convinced I'm just playing wrong. It doesn't help that I'm just plain not finding better armor. Or, rather, every armor I can buy or craft in any shop in all of Velen is light and I'd really love some medium.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

I am in the starting area, and got the quest at the well before I go to fight the noonwraith Geralt says "hey I better make some oil and potions" but I don't seem to have recipes for either of those? I tried fighting without but got my rear end handed to me.

You have the oil recipe. It's "specter oil." Also, make absolutely sure you read the beastiary on the enemy. It contains some absolutely vital info.

The fight is doable without the potions assuming you've done the investigation part first. If you want healing potions go do the main quest up until you meet the herbalist. She'll give you a quest to make a swallow (healing) potion. After that just meditate with some alcohest (I think that's the name) in your inventory to restock it. You can also make a few weaker bombs if you go around picking herbs that should help.

EDIT: \/ that too. Don't forget you have two dodge abilities.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It wants you to dodge more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

It wants you to dodge more.

Honestly, I'm doing nothing but dodging in almost every battle. I remember Witcher 2 on Hard. I know how important it is to stay on the defensive the entire time. I guess I'm just surprised that the "one level above Normal" difficulty is the "one slip-up and it's over" difficulty.