Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe they will let Shane back on some day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe they will let Shane back on some day?

Looks like the chapter Survivor is now closed for Shane. He won't go through another casting process.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
Came to the thead hoping someone would gif the shot of Dan at the fire making challenge frantically chanting "GET WOOD, GET WOOD". Seems like perfect gif material. I'd do it myself, but I don't know how.

heybrother
Jan 4, 2013
Not that we needed his confirmation, but this won't be the last time we see Mike on Survivor. My rear end he will ever sniff a win again, though.

http://parade.com/399036/joshwigler/mike-holloway-just-won-survivor-worlds-apart-and-hes-not-stopping-there/

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Haha he says he's going to be a three-time winner. That's bold and also ridiculous.

I don't think they could ever get an all winners season together but I do think they could bring back a lot of the winners... Mike, Richard Hatch, Tyson, Sandra, Brian Heidik would return. Then you can bring in a Russell Hantz or a Malcolm, some people like that that haven't won. They could put together a pretty great season I think even after bringing back all these folks for this upcoming Second Chance season.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Didn't Fabio piss all his cash away, I bet he'd come back.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole 'Mike you are being paranoid' attitude that most of the later jury members had when they basically told him several times that if he didn't win immunity he would be getting voted out. Even if they are talking about the mid game, it still doesn't make sense because that group of 6 was targeting Mike. Sure, they might not have been actively going after him the week of the auction but he was definitely in their sights and I'm positive they would have pulled the trigger if they had an opportunity.

It's the same incredulity I had when the evil four came back after Dan got booted and asked Carolyn why she didn't tell them she had an HII. It takes some pretty big balls to come back from tribal and demand to know why the person you just voted for didn't tell you about the HII. I certainly didn't believe Rodney when he said they if they knew they would have just voted for Dan.

I honestly think a lot of the players in this season were just big old babies.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mike obviously wasn't paranoid, because you can't be called paranoid when you're right. That said though, going off about the plot against you when people are trying to read their letters from home isn't going to go over well, and definitely makes it look like the game has gotten to your head.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Spatula City posted:

I don't think it was necessarily a blunder getting Rodney out. In fact, it might have gotten Mike even more goodwill with the jury, like when JT took Stephen rather than Erinn in Tocantins. Probably none of the jury except Dan thought Rodney deserved to be at FTC, and they admired Mike for being willing to take his biggest threat to the end.

Yup. And if his ploy with the tie didn't work, then I think he would have secured Carolyn's vote had she lost.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

Haha he says he's going to be a three-time winner. That's bold and also ridiculous.

I don't think they could ever get an all winners season together but I do think they could bring back a lot of the winners... Mike, Richard Hatch, Tyson, Sandra, Brian Heidik would return. Then you can bring in a Russell Hantz or a Malcolm, some people like that that haven't won. They could put together a pretty great season I think even after bringing back all these folks for this upcoming Second Chance season.

Maybe after they get another 3 or 4 seasons in they could get 18 of the past winners to agree to come back? Or maybe they can pull something dumb and do a winners vs losers gimmick and put 10 winners on one side and 10 people voted out first on the other tribe. Would be very risky to not be terrible but worth watching!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'd rather see some kind of stupid rivals season thing. a BvW gimmick where people were paired with their biggest enemies.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Pleased Mike won. S31 cast looks pretty good. Not too terribly happy that Woo and Wigglesworth are going out there in lieu of say, Shane and maybe Stephanie or Carolyn. Woo didn't campaign or do interviews. Wigglesworth just doesn't seem to want to play the game.

I just watched Australian Outback within the past few months and I have no idea who Jeff Varner is.

Spiky Ooze posted:

Ahahaha. Shane not coming back? This show is worthless at this point.

Fantastic. Glad we won't be seeing you and your wonderful commentary next thread. :byewhore:

xbilkis posted:

Also Kelley Wentworth making it on at all is probably the most inexplicable thing that happened. Did people just throw in a vote for the only standard blonde white girl in the candidate pool???

Do you not listen to her on RHAP? She's actually pretty great.

Rick posted:

Kudos to the editors because I really did think it was gonna be close between Mike and Carolyn.

I thought Mike showed some smarts near the end (after basically creating the situation where it was him vs everyone prematurely) and tried to make moves that would've helped other people advance that they ignored, and then he made that big blunder at the end by booting Rodney, but I actually thought it may have been (although I don't think he intended this) a positive to that particular jury that he pushed it to fire. Ultimately I felt like he was the appropriate winner of that cast (although I would not have been mad about Carolyn).

Weakish season overall with a gimmick that killed the first half for me, but I'll be glad to see the next. Even though I've seen all but a few seasons I am surprised by how few of the people I remembered for next year.

I don't think it was a blunder to vote out Rodney instead of Carolyn. I wouldn't have chosen that myself because I expected Tyler and a couple others to vote Carolyn to win it all but Mike just knows what we've all known for weeks. He was a sure-win in any Final-Three and he gave the producers the best possible television at the end there by making it go to fire-making.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 21, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

blue squares posted:

I'd rather see some kind of stupid rivals season thing. a BvW gimmick where people were paired with their biggest enemies.

Watch The Challenge, they did this a few times and it was great.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Why are you all so hard on Woo? True, he sucks at Survivor, but he was such a joy to watch. He's funny and likable and joyful and it's nice to have those kind of people around, especially after this season's roster of heinously awful people. Plus maybe he's learned a lot from last time.

I don't remember much about Shane. Why do people want him back so much? All I remember is him going kind of nuts and making a Blackberry out of some wood.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
* Mike is a good winner and a good player, so this season is somewhat redeemed for the weird negativity.

* Pretty strong male cast for 31. Reallllly excited to see Fishbach and Spencer back.

* Kind of a weak female cast. Maybe they got a lot of "no's" and this was the best they could recruit?

* Would've preferred to see Carolyn back over Shirin, and I think Shirin will have an impossible game because a) she got a good edit and the dissonance between her edit and being on a beach with her will be enough of a shock for people to want her out b) no players network alliances going in.

* Cambodia, awesome.

* NO SHANE WHAAAAAAAAT that sucks. He was the 1 person I really wanted to see back. He must have been DQ'd for some reason they didn't/couldn't get in to.

e:

Factor Mystic posted:

I can't believe Shane is on the second chance list. He's got to be a shoe-in, and because of it I'm already pumped for next season.

It was me, I jinxed it, I'm so sorry :(

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

dantheman650 posted:

I don't remember much about Shane. Why do people want him back so much? All I remember is him going kind of nuts and making a Blackberry out of some wood.

Shane and Aras found a kilo of cocaine washed up on the beach. They hid it from production and planned to use it for a pick-me-up before challenges until production found it and confiscated it.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

dantheman650 posted:

Here's a video but the highlights are:
-Being naked while carrying Bruce in a stretcher while Jenna's mom music plays
-Shane bumming cigarettes from people in a local village
-Threatening murder multiple times to people in his alliance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l4zPErY69k

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Only have to watch 4 seasons to be ready for Second Chances. Panama, Tocantins, Samoa, and Philippines.

I think the reason we got so many "friendly" people on the Male side for second chances was the amount of assholes on World's Apart.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

dantheman650 posted:

Why are you all so hard on Woo? True, he sucks at Survivor, but he was such a joy to watch. He's funny and likable and joyful and it's nice to have those kind of people around, especially after this season's roster of heinously awful people. Plus maybe he's learned a lot from last time.

Yeah, I liked Woo a lot - and even for people who make a big deal about strategy, he didn't really seem to be totally game deficient until winning final immunity. There's a long lineage of people who brought the wrong person to the finals, but Woo's mistake was magnified because Kass was such an obvious goat and so he's made out to be historically incompetent at the game. The move was unfathomably bad, but Woo wasn't just stumbling over himself out there. He stole an idol clue and then escaped into the jungle!

Like, I saw a bunch of people saying "I'd be fine with seeing Keith again, but Woo has no business coming back!" Which is weird, because Keith seemed to fundamentally not understand the basic concepts of Survivor gameplay. A dude like Joe, who was a nice-seeming low key guy who was good at challenges and showed absolutely no strategic competence, is spared the wrath of an almost identical character in Woo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Keith's Country Cluelessness is more fun than Woo's Surfer Cluelessness. :v:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 22, 2015

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I also like Woo. He had a poor understanding of the strategy of Survivor, but he was really funny and had a good physical toolset for the game. I'll be surprised if his strategy isn't better the second time around.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I'm actually really happy to see Kelley on here. I know she didn't go far, but that was because her dad hosed up. I think she has potential!

I'm bummed about Shane not making it, but at least Nat Ten and Brad Culpepper didn't get on.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It would have been sorta fun watching Brad Culpepper play terribly and implode. Not a huge upgrade to Woo or Keith, but most of that bottom tier are pretty interchangeable. I don't think it makes a huge difference to the quality of the season switching Woo or Keith for any of the people left out aside from Shane.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm a Woo fan. Yeah, he was a moron who lost the game for himself but I don't think he was clueless (Keith was) and even if he was he was a delight who loved the experience and the show needs some folks like that just like it needs some people who stir the poo poo.

I love the cast. Its got a great mix of dumb but lovable heroes, smart strategists, sneaky manipulators, bulldozing he-men, pure chaos bringers, and some nice people to look at. I would trade Keith or Verner for Shane in a heartbeat but otherwise I can't squabble about anyone. Its a great cast.

And I'm totally good with Wentworth too. I think she had potential, or at least there's a question of it in the minds of a lot of fans. To me answering that question is way more satisfying than whatever cases were made for Natalie, or T-Bird, or Sabrina. It was a weak bottom of the field and "she sounds smart and might have played better if her dad wasn't bad at the game" seems like one of the stronger cases there. Like, I don't object to Kimmi being there but I'm also not exactly sure WHY she's there. At least I can verbalize the reason with Wentworth.

And good on Mike for the win. He's maybe a Top 10 winner. He had one bad day and it will be remembered forever but he somehow managed to rebound, change his game completely, and fight his way to the end all while appearing to be the only man on the island with a shred of decency (well, Joe too but he was gone awhile ago). So good for him. I don't think it was a great season but it had a great winner.

I want to rant a little bit on the whole "paranoid" thing and the topic of Mike not taking Rodney to the end, because I really think these were smart jury plays by Mike. I think its a fundamental mistake to treat Survivor Juries like they're all the same or respond to the same things. Its not a science, its a wooing. And way back before Mike blew up his game and had to go all comp beast to win he seemed really good at telling people what they wanted to hear and making them believe him.

Its why that auction play was so stupid and why it turned them so badly on Mike. Its why Carolyn wasn't outraged when her entire alliance tried to vote her out and then accused HER of betraying them. Its expectations. If you know you're dealing with scumbags and cheats and liars then you're not surprised when they screw you over. But if you bought in and really trusted someone then when they screw you over it hurts you, if not emotionally at least your ego. Dan really and truly trusted Mike so when Mike pulled that stunt at the Auction it destroyed Dan and probably made him feel like a fool.

So really, I think Mike was crafting his jury case with these final moves. Tyler accuses him of being paranoid? He could fight that but why? Telling Tyler he's wrong won't win his vote. Just lean in and tell Tyler what he wants to hear. Dan wants you to grovel and apologize? Do it. Show rear end. When they're saying you're a bad person say "You know, maybe I do have flaws I need to work on, I'm sorry." Its all about showing you're the good guy, not the egomaniac they think you are fighting them and telling them why they're wrong.

And I think voting out Rodney is part of that. Here's a controversial thing which Jenn may say I'm flat out wrong about soon, but I think Jenn was serious when she said she'd vote Rodney. I think Jenn respected the game Mike played and that he beat everyone. But if Mike went and took a goat to the end I think that would have tarnished it a bit. Meanwhile if Rodney managed to get taken to the end without every winning anything, kissing any rear end, or doing anything at camp all because "the hero" figured he'd be an easy win I think Jenn might have respected that too. If Mike had gotten visibly dirty and it just became a fully dirty game than why not give Rodney the win? If he manipulated Mike to take him to the end then why not reward that, if manipulation is the game everyone played? But by playing the "straight up"/"deserves" card I think Mike kept himself separate from the rest and kept his case strong.

So I think Mike made the right calls. Because way back in the first half of the game Mike's strength wasn't being a comp beast, it was that he seemed to know how to manage everyone in his tribe. And then he exploded that all one day and we didn't see much of it the rest of the way. But I think that's what he was doing by sticking with Mama C or not fighting Dan and Tyler's self serving questions. He was playing the jury, and he was doing it well enough that they didn't seem to notice or mind.

Or at least that's my take.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 22, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rodney wasn't a goat. He created a final three deal out of thin air with totally random people (Carolyn and Will) and they all made it to final four. Rodney played a good strategic game.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Token Female posted:

Here's a video but the highlights are:
-Being naked while carrying Bruce in a stretcher while Jenna's mom music plays
-Shane bumming cigarettes from people in a local village
-Threatening murder multiple times to people in his alliance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l4zPErY69k

Ok, now I'm completely stumped as to why so many of you want him back. The first two minutes are just him whining and complaining and wanting to be voted off. That was enough for me. Glad he's not returning.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

Ok, now I'm completely stumped as to why so many of you want him back. The first two minutes are just him whining and complaining and wanting to be voted off. That was enough for me. Glad he's not returning.

maybe you would be less stumped if you, oh i dont know, watched the rest of the video. Good job buddy

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Shane is on with Rob right now. I'm listening as I clean up, but Shane is fantastic and killing this. It's a sad day for Team TV, but I think as a person it's a good thing that he's straightening his back and washing his hands clean (and dishing good dirt in the meantime).

Best of luck, Shane Powers :unsmith:

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Just going back and reflecting on the reunion...

It was absolutely glorious seeing Dan get smacked down like that. It may have gone on a little long, but it was pretty clear that Probst was sending out a message: don't come on this show and bitch about your shoddy edit. It was a brutal takedown and it was absolutely glorious in every way.

Plus, it was awesome getting to watch unedited footage! Jeff said it would be boring, but it was a rare and fascinating insight into a sliver of the actual experience. If they had a channel of 24 hour, raw uncut Survivor footage, I'd be all over it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

elgarbo posted:

Plus, it was awesome getting to watch unedited footage! Jeff said it would be boring, but it was a rare and fascinating insight into a sliver of the actual experience. If they had a channel of 24 hour, raw uncut Survivor footage, I'd be all over it.

You're basically describing the Big Brother feeds.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

elgarbo posted:

Ehhh, I kinda disagree. Big Brother live feeds are pretty loving boring and encourage the crazy cat ladies of Joker's Whatever. The game can be good or suck, but the Survivor editors do a good job at crafting a story that breeds intrigue and worry.

Jeff was using that clip to prove a loving point about Dan being full of poo poo, and it was spectacular.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
Really weird how the casting shook out, considering the fan results for Big Brother All-Stars. I am pleasantly shocked that recency bias didn't give us Max, but am even more shocked (and more disappointed) that Carolyn didn't nab a position. She looked pissed. Old-school nerd votes don't also really explain how Kimmi got in and not T-Bird -- to me, neither of them did anything of consequence and, if we're really bringing back random early-season pre-merge boots, Gina from Marquesas is the obvious choice.

That said, Australia's really making a late-game play for most returnees; they've brought back everyone decent from that season, except obviously Elisabeth. Is 8 the highest amount of returnees from a single season? Tina, Colby, and Jerri have all played three times, and then you have Alicia, Amber, Skupin, Kimmi, and Jeff. Great overall average placement, too, minus Tina's first boot status on All-Stars.

Shane is the only real big snub and as much as I loathe to see Keith and Woo on an "All-Stars" season, they'll be good to balance out the serious players. I'm likening them to how HvV brought back Sugar.

PG and Kelley are going to be the sleepers. Underrated in their seasons and strong enough to survive any deadwood early boots (though that's not always how returnee seasons shake out).

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

blue squares posted:

maybe you would be less stumped if you, oh i dont know, watched the rest of the video. Good job buddy

Watched the rest. More complaining, whining about food, some death threats, and the blackberry. Still don't get it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Does anyone know what's up with Mike's voice? It's high, it's low, it's scratchy. It changes pitches strangely. I've never found an explanation.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Met posted:

Does anyone know what's up with Mike's voice? It's high, it's low, it's scratchy. It changes pitches strangely. I've never found an explanation.

He sounds like maybe he's a smoker.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I'm pretty hyped for Cambodia

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Dugong posted:

I'm pretty hyped for Cambodia

Cambodia is a way rad location - it's great that we're not just getting Nicaragua/Samoa redux v.237.

Hopefully they stick them out in the temples in the jungle and not just at Generic Cambodian Beach location.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Worlds Apart is the first season I've watched but I want the next council area to be Ta Prohm inspired. I hope for the contestants' sake it does start filming soon because rainy season will make life so much harder.

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

Glad Mike won. Loved Probst shoving video proof in Dan's salty face, what a childish oblivious nasty prick that man is.

Unfortunately Probst ruined it by trying to force an apology from Will and making Shirin sit there and listen to that condescending, self serving, defensive non-apology. Probst is not the person to be running that conversation. Ultimately he just gave the abusive misogynists time to defend themselves and waste time, while the victim had to sit there and listen to that weaksauce poo poo, instead of being given a chance to say awesome poo poo and explain to any viewers at home who don't get what the big deal is why Will's responses are so vile and ignorant. She got about 10 seconds. Hope she kicks rear end next season.

Shane not making the cut was icing on the poo poo sundae. I assume that was our last chance to ever see him play again. gently caress recency bias and Joe's pretty face, dude is no Malcolm for entertainment value.

Fishbach is probably screwed, but I hope he makes it deep for the sake of Rob having plenty of opportunities to make fun of any bad moves he makes on RHAP. Also cheering hard for Shirin, Peih Gee, Tasha and Vytas. I'd trade anyone for Shane though :(

Despite the poo poo elements, I enjoyed the season and we got some solid characters out of it. Jenn was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

elgarbo posted:

Just going back and reflecting on the reunion...

It was absolutely glorious seeing Dan get smacked down like that. It may have gone on a little long, but it was pretty clear that Probst was sending out a message: don't come on this show and bitch about your shoddy edit. It was a brutal takedown and it was absolutely glorious in every way.

Yes, I said earlier it would be fascinating to watch a challenge entirely from the 'schoolyard pick' to the end, even if it went on long and there were production stoppages.

CBS doesn't have to release a full season of raw footage but a few samples, like 1 or 2 challenges (including a food auction), cooking dinner, and an entire TC.

• Locked thread