Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Anybody know which monsters drop red mutagens? Or where I can get some? I'm still early in the game and I have a greater blue and greater green mutagen, but I've literally only run across one lesser red mutagen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

net cafe scandal posted:

I love how looting a cabinet that is near a candle requires as much fine analog control as aiming a scoped sniper rifle.

Get good.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The devs of this game have got you seriously whipped my dude.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A lot of stuff regarding the accuracy of world interaction needs to be fixed for sure, but one simple thing that would help a ton is just highlighting the icon that will be activated when you push X. Like, just let me know I'm actually close enough to click it, so I don't mash the X button when interacting isn't actually possible from where Geralt is standing.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 22, 2015

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Oh the god the Baron Questline...

The botchling might be one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen in a videogame

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

GrossMurpel posted:

So, is there ever any reason to use a roll instead of just a dodge?

Yes, against a golem or gargoyle, even wyverns have some attacks you're rather roll from

VDay posted:

Anybody know which monsters drop red mutagens? Or where I can get some? I'm still early in the game and I have a greater blue and greater green mutagen, but I've literally only run across one lesser red mutagen.
Seen werevolves and alghouls drop them, but there are way more monsters with blue and green.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Fiends, cockatrices, royal griffins, all have big sweeps you can't dodge sideways from, always roll back from it. Fiends especially because they have a charge and you have to roll to the side to avoid it.

But then there's that ability making you invulnerable while dodging.

Poetic Justice posted:

I don't have that problem, maybe learn how to move your mouse/thumbstick with some grace?

I played enough FPS' to be able to aim, the candle's activate range is just way too big.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
1.03 bumped my texture setting down to Low as well. Check your settings after applying and turn it back to what you want.

Even looting in open fields can be awkward if you overstep a body. It would be nice if you could take a couple of steps back without the entire 180 degree turn with a large radius

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

dud root posted:

1.03 bumped my texture setting down to Low as well. Check your settings after applying and turn it back to what you want.

I just checked and apparently the patch did it to me but I honestly haven't noticed any difference at all in how the game looks so I'm just gonna keep it.

edit: I really like how smoothly this game allows alt+tabbing to other windows. A lot of games get kinda fucky when you do that during a loading screen but this just breezes along

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 22, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This game doesn't hold your hand, figuretivly and literally. You can't hold that against it if you can't aim your mouse or thumbstick correctly.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

This game doesn't hold your hand, figuretivly and literally. You can't hold that against it if you can't aim your mouse or thumbstick correctly.

I agree! For example, in this instance, it is completely reasonable to have me loot the candle circled in red here until I aim high enough to pass the green line. I mean, why wouldn't I want to ignite a candle that is out of sight instead of looting the cupboard in the middle of my screen?

If only I could stop being such a drat casual :(

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Poetic Justice posted:

lol at all the learn2play bullshit on this page

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

rocode posted:

Check the box at the back of his office.

You are a saint.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Gotta love delusion. If only I had that in real life. *waves hand* You will suck my cock.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone know what this Potion from Tir Na Lia does?

SkyEnzo posted:

Gotta love delusion. If only I had that in real life. *waves hand* You will suck my cock.

I think that's rape bro.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SkyEnzo posted:

Another Witcher mentions at some point that he used it to make a bandit kill his friend and then hang himself.

Axii is straight up mind control.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I was pleasantly surprised at how funny this game is. I thought Garelt was this sombre, beaten-down rear end in a top hat... but he's kind of a self-aware, sarcastic rear end in a top hat. I hadn't played any of the other games or seen many trailers or anything. It makes him a much more engaging character than a lot of similar characters. Haven't played enough to say anything about the story, but I've been enjoying all the little NPC interactions and skipping far less of the dialogue than I usually would in a game like this.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
AI's a cheating whore at gwent :argh:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

I was pleasantly surprised at how funny this game is. I thought Garelt was this sombre, beaten-down rear end in a top hat... but he's kind of a self-aware, sarcastic rear end in a top hat. I hadn't played any of the other games or seen many trailers or anything. It makes him a much more engaging character than a lot of similar characters. Haven't played enough to say anything about the story, but I've been enjoying all the little NPC interactions and skipping far less of the dialogue than I usually would in a game like this.

The voice actor was pretty bad in the original game but really got good in Witcher 2. He's loving nailed it in this game though and the writing is top notch. I really love how far the series has come.

Gobblecoque posted:

AI's a cheating whore at gwent :argh:

I was really impressed by some of the AI's strategies. It put in a bunch of spies on my board one time and I just passed, then it put down a fog card and they all turned into 1's and it played a single card and won the round :v:

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 22, 2015

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

I agree! For example, in this instance, it is completely reasonable to have me loot the candle circled in red here until I aim high enough to pass the green line. I mean, why wouldn't I want to ignite a candle that is out of sight instead of looting the cupboard in the middle of my screen?

It's a bottle of water loot something else

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Orv posted:

Children, please.

I had forgotten how completely and utterly insane Letho's accent is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDwIDH9rFWo

he was on got

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still convinced Letho is Ron Perlman under a pseudonym.

Demiurge4 posted:

The voice actor was pretty bad in the original game but really got good in Witcher 2. He's loving nailed it in this game though and the writing is top notch. I really love how far the series has come.

Yeah, I was coming here to stay this. I'm still loving around in No Man's Land - I like exploring OK :v: - but Geralt's actor is fantastic in this. His english and acting are so confident now, completely unlike the stilted, wooden delivery in the first game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I was really impressed by some of the AI's strategies. It put in a bunch of spies on my board one time and I just passed, then it put down a fog card and they all turned into 1's and it played a single card and won the round :v:

I kinda regret not giving Gwent a try early on because as far into the game as I am now any time I try to play I get loving turbodunked.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

The devs of this game have got you seriously whipped my dude.

I agree I'm planning to stab myself to death this very moment because Witcher 3 isn't quite as good as I thought it would be send help! :)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I've never seen GoT, but was that performance typical of Dinklage on the show? His accent was all over the place there.

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

... Geralt's actor is fantastic in this. His english and acting are so confident now, completely unlike the stilted, wooden delivery in the first game.

Some of his dialogue are quite full of emotion. Not to spoil you, but for those who've hosed around Novigrad and finished things with Whoreson Junior:

Man that was some ice cold delivery from Geralt. It really freaked me out as well because I could swear I've seen that poo poo before. Is there some movie with a similar scene, dude getting avenged in a room full of dead prostitutes?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Gwent gets fun once you have at least 2 spies and 2 decoys in a deck also 1 horn guy. I had one round where I dropped my two spies, he dropped his and then I used my decoys to pick up his spies and replay them. That was how I beat the baron. I had 13 loving cards after the first round.

The Foltest faction card where you can clear out the weather is loving amazing too. I love it. I almost have a full Nilfgaard deck I'm going to switch to since I've won some super nice cards for it.

In non Gwent news, there's a really nice touch with the cone of fire animation for Igni. If you get hit as you're spraying fire sparks your arm will move and the flames will sputter out in the direction your arm gets moved. It looks gorgeous every time.

Also that loving ladies in the bog quest. Jesus christ.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I played the guy in Vizima right after talking to the guy you talk to in Vizima. His deck was really good. Strength 10 guys coming out the butt.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw guys, never try to use Axii on people when you're talking to a group of two or more, they'll notice what you're doing.

It works pretty flawlessly on lone dudes, though.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

HyperPuma posted:

Anyone else playing this on pc with a ds4? I saw in another thread that someone had bound swipe up to open the map (m) and swipe down for inventory(i), but when I set that up in ds4windows and tried it in the game it doesn't do anything. I also tried to bind it to clicking in the touchpad but that also didn't work.

The weird thing was that when I had the clicking touchpad set to the default left mouse click it worked, it seems to only be the keyboard shortcuts that don't respond. I noticed in the ingame keybindings that m and i and a few others have locks next to them and you cant rebind them, seems like that might be related?

Anyways, anyone else happen to get this working?

So I got this to work by forcing map and inventory to be bound to left and right click. For some reason the game allows the ds4 touchpad to be used for mouse clicks but not keys. I also set the touchpad click to cycle through my signs :smugmrgw:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man why don't the left and right buttons on the d-pad correspond to the left and right icons for the weapon damage? D-pad left is steel and right is silver, but the icons on screen are reversed, so in combat I get confused about which is low on durability :-/.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Broken Cog posted:

Btw guys, never try to use Axii on people when you're talking to a group of two or more, they'll notice what you're doing.

It works pretty flawlessly on lone dudes, though.

It does work on groups too, you never know until you try the option

GrossMurpel posted:

You can rebind the candle lighting to other button in the ini file so it'll not get mixed with looting
For example to C key:
IK_C=(Action=Ignite) IK_C=(Action=Extinguish)

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Terminally Bored posted:

Game's great fun, looks beautiful, is really well written but the combat system is still hosed. The game will change your moves depending on how far you are from the enemy. Close it's just a slash but with any distance you'll do a pirouette with huge (1 second) windup and no invincibility frames. There's no way to choose which attack you want to like in Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma. So most of the time you'll be pirouetting around because all the enemies move all the time. Also, there's very little (if any) inv frames in both dodges (that armored elf with huge fuckoff axe would take a chunk of my vitality every time I dodged him). I don't know, am I supposed to use Quen all the time again?

One more thing that's constantly pissing me off is the stagger mechanic. Attacks can still stagger even if blocked or parried. This leads to both me and the Drowners standing like dorks after I timed the parry right and I'm just waiting who will wake up first. Most of the time it's them. Also, people who said that this game needs a guard breaker were on point. A guy with a shield means you'll damage your sword trying to fight him when he's just blocking constantly. It's weird how little combat has changed since W2.

Learning the combat mechanics means getting sidestep and dodge timing correct. Precise positioning is less important. For example, the easy way to deal with shield carriers(other than axii to stun for a quick kill) is to sidestep around them when they swing at you, which leaves you behind them where they can't block. Get a few hits in, repeat. You also shouldn't rely on parry for monsters. It's useful on humanoids and a small number of armed monsters, defense is really all about dodge and sidestep.

At least, that's what I've figured out so far, and I'm running around outside Novigrad on death march because every other difficulty is a cakewalk at this point.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've never seen GoT, but was that performance typical of Dinklage on the show? His accent was all over the place there.

Dinklage's accent gets better as the show goes on. It was a bit wonkier in Season 1,

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
:siren: DOUBLE-TAPPING A DIRECTION DODGES :siren:

This has been a PSA for those who didn't dig through all the posts, Alt is really unintuitive and cumbersome displayed bind.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Trollo for character of the year. :3:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Chapter one, holy gently caress the whole scene with Gran talking to the crones through the painting was great.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GuyUpNorth posted:

:siren: DOUBLE-TAPPING A DIRECTION DODGES :siren:

This has been a PSA for those who didn't dig through all the posts, Alt is really unintuitive and cumbersome displayed bind.

Wait I thought this was common knowledge? I didn't even know alt was used. :stare:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gobblecoque posted:

Wait I thought this was common knowledge? I didn't even know alt was used. :stare:

Yeah, I remembered the double-tap thing from W2 and it was the first thing I tested here.

I guess a lot of people here never played it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know of a reagent vendor other than the Peller? I'm still looking for some rare ingredients I need.
No, I can't talk to the sorceress, she's left.