Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

GuyUpNorth posted:

:siren: DOUBLE-TAPPING A DIRECTION DODGES :siren:

This has been a PSA for those who didn't dig through all the posts, Alt is really unintuitive and cumbersome displayed bind.

I bound it to space, poo poo's comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

Learning the combat mechanics means getting sidestep and dodge timing correct. Precise positioning is less important. For example, the easy way to deal with shield carriers(other than axii to stun for a quick kill) is to sidestep around them when they swing at you, which leaves you behind them where they can't block. Get a few hits in, repeat. You also shouldn't rely on parry for monsters. It's useful on humanoids and a small number of armed monsters, defense is really all about dodge and sidestep.

At least, that's what I've figured out so far, and I'm running around outside Novigrad on death march because every other difficulty is a cakewalk at this point.

You can't parry (and probabaly can't counter) heavy attacks, which includes things like the drowner lunges etc. Apart from that, almost everything else can be parried - wolf bites, drowner claw combos, arrows.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone know of a reagent vendor other than the Peller? I'm still looking for some rare ingredients I need.
No, I can't talk to the sorceress, she's left.

There's one or two in Novigrad, and I think there's one in Oxenfurt too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If I have the steam version how do I turn on Polish language audio?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I didn't see it in the OP but is there a list of Witcher 2 choices that matter in Witcher 3? I read somewhere that most of them don't actually matter at all; at best one or two NPCs show up for like one quest if they lived, or don't show up if they died, and that's about it. To be fair that's about how it worked with Witcher 1 -> Witcher 2.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is it possible through some ini tweak or something, to enable Depth of Field only for dialogues?

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
This game is like equal parts of annoying poo poo and exciting moments. Im currently dying over and over to 3 level 2 dogs because of a retarded autosave but then i meditate and just throw grapeshit and the game is fun again

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Like oh poo poo ive got all sorts of spells and swords and poo poo but i have to meditate before literally anything which is waaaaay better then just having your health regen or some poo poo

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The first time I've crashed outside of a cutscene, was when I was tailing some shady individuals. I don't know what to make of that. :tinfoil:

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

PirateBob posted:

Is it possible through some ini tweak or something, to enable Depth of Field only for dialogues?

I'm not 100% but with DoF disabled I've still noticed it on during conversation. W2 had a separate option for game/dialog, and it's missing in W3. I think the setting exists, and is on, but its not exposed in settings

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Okay so I'm missing a few normal versions of a bunch of potions and bombs and have no idea where to find them. I have the enhanced and superior recipes for them and I'm wondering if maybe I missed the recipe's in a dungeon or a merchant somewhere. I originally assumed they were random drops but I've stopped seeing any schematics a long time ago, are they in White Orchard somewhere out of the way?

I'm missing stuff like Petri's Philter, Dragonpuff and Samum among others.

The place linked in this video should have all of the basic recipes you're missing, if I'm not mistaken.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
How do I get a Monster Lair to turn grey on the map? I thought I might have had to loot everything and then it would go, but I've been through it with a fine-toothed comb and it's still white. Annoying.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

roymorrison posted:

Like oh poo poo ive got all sorts of spells and swords and poo poo but i have to meditate before literally anything which is waaaaay better then just having your health regen or some poo poo

Considering that the health gain from meditation is removed on higher difficulties, meditating after you lose some health isn't really necessary.

Just eat some food, drink a swallow or use one of the skills which allow you to regain health (like quen active shield.

Memento posted:

How do I get a Monster Lair to turn grey on the map? I thought I might have had to loot everything and then it would go, but I've been through it with a fine-toothed comb and it's still white. Annoying.

Does the place have a nest that you need to blow up with a bomb?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 22, 2015

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

roymorrison posted:

just throw grapeshit

Now THERE'S a mental image for you...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Memento posted:

You need some bombs that can destroy monster lairs (Grapeshot and another one can, IIRC) and a trigger should appear when you're on top of the lair. Geralt drops the bomb in there and you can loot the nest afterwards.

I don't think that you need to have bombs available in your inventory (it doesn't spend one of your two bombs if you have them).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Most bombs can destroy monster lairs, although with some you need to upgrade them first.

Broken Cog posted:

Btw guys, never try to use Axii on people when you're talking to a group of two or more, they'll notice what you're doing.

It works pretty flawlessly on lone dudes, though.

I've only ever had it fail on a group once, and they were witch hunters. I have the mind control skill fully upgraded though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Loving the quest design. Some of them could be short stories on their own.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What are some good cards to use against Monster decks because uuuuuuuuuuh....

Edit: I figured it out. Just exhaust their hand in round one or two, since the have no spies.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 22, 2015

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Mentions of Odrin seem to pop up in every single notice board I find. Dude just keeps on trucking, uh?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So I spent a good part of last night playing this game. I agree with those who say that the combat is very good but that Geralt's clunky movements are a big problem. It is a shame because that one issue is causing a good combat system to feel much worse than it actually is. I hope they do something about it in a patch.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
"I'm a Witcher, not a gigolo." - Geralt of Rivia 2015 .

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: I figured it out. Just exhaust their hand in round one or two, since the have no spies.

Yeah first monster deck I fought used literally every single one of his cards on the first round. It was pretty easy after that. The card AI can be pretty dumb at times.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I was struggling a lot with the combat on the broken bones difficulty. Mainly I was frustrated because it's different enough from witcher 2 to give me a hard time but once I started dodging properly and have some skill points invested in some worthy stuff, combat feels really good if still quite hard against the more demanding opponents. The only time I've felt hamstringed not by my own lack of skill but by the mechanics themselves is when Geralt will sometimes randomly sheath his sword when I don't want him to.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Mentions of Odrin seem to pop up in every single notice board I find. Dude just keeps on trucking, uh?

But Odriiiiiiiin, WHERE ARE YOU?!

I also agree that difficulty on Broken Bones lightens up a bit once you have points in the right places. Things like improving your Quen and getting damage reductions on your quick step dodges.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Broken Cog posted:

Cold weather.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just started playing this game last night, and I'm having a problem. Sometimes during dialogue sequences, my game will suddenly minimize, so I'm just at my desktop staring at the icon on my taskbar. Any attempts to maximize it do nothing, and I have to close it through task manager (where it shows up as not responding.) In the roughly 2 hours I've played, this has happened 5 times, always in the middle of a conversation. I feel like any time I talk to someone, there's a 50/50 shot that I'll end up having to restart the game and do it all over. Can't really keep playing like this, obviously. Any suggestions or ideas, or should I just wait for a patch or two?

Sorry to poo poo up the thread with tech support, but I've had no luck googling for a solution.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm going to spoiler this for safety's sake, but it was shown and discussed pre-release so it's not a spoiler regarding anything anyone who was in on the pre-release things at all.

Playing as Ciri is ridiculously cool and she's got an awesome character. I'm hoping, probably in vain, that you can choose to play as her whenever once you've found her.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fat Samurai posted:

You need some bombs that can destroy monster lairs (Grapeshot and another one can, IIRC) and a trigger should appear when you're on top of the lair. Geralt drops the bomb in there and you can loot the nest afterwards.

I don't think that you need to have bombs available in your inventory (it doesn't spend one of your two bombs if you have them).

Yeah I've seen monster nests, the ones that look like a pile of sticks and gore above ground, this is like a mini-dungeon. I'll try and find something to blow up, might be on top of the hill it was under.

edit: yeah I used the wrong term, it's actually a Monster Den. I'll poke around some more.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

On the topic of "downgrading" and why the entire situation is annoying:

It's like going to a burger joint, and you see a picture of a delicious looking cheeseburger.

:downs: that'll be 59.99 please
:v: okay
:downs: But you have to wait a year for it to come out
:v: sure...
*6 months later*
:downs: Ehhh, wait 6 more months
*6 months pass*
:downs: here's your burger!

And you open it and all that's in the box is a cheeseburger with no buns. Is it entitlement if the burger wasn't as advertised? Are you wrong to call out the burger joint for stiffing you? I'm sure the burger is still delicious, but that's not what you paid for. You paid to have a burger that looks like the image advertised. But the burger joint says too bad, deal with it! "You don't understand all the time and effort that goes into making a burger!". At the end of the day it's just a burger, but at the same time, it sure feels a lot like someone pulled a fast one on you.

:sigh:

This is a pretty stupid analogy but it reminds me of the fact in this game you can find items called like "roasted ham sandwich" and the image for it just a slice of ham.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Memento posted:

Yeah I've seen monster nests, the ones that look like a pile of sticks and gore above ground, this is like a mini-dungeon. I'll try and find something to blow up, might be on top of the hill it was under.

Yep, we're talking about different things, sorry.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I found a steel sword that has +10% chance to stun that somehow bugged to actually have a 100% chance of stun, (possibly having something to that I socketed it with a bugged +0 damage rune), so merely tapping enemies with it causes me to instagib them them with epic takedowns en masse.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIxA1-1oqG4

:stare:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Yep, we're talking about different things, sorry.

There was one little nekker dungeon that I couldn't get to go grey. Turned out there was a box to loot on the scaffolding just outside the entrance, and a little cubbyhole just inside that I'd missed. Just make sure you've looted everything inside and out.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Do the same with a Drowner, then i'll be impressed.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CJ posted:

Do the same with a Drowner, then i'll be impressed.

It'd be the same. That 5/5 dodge ability is really good.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Memento posted:

edit: yeah I used the wrong term, it's actually a Monster Den. I'll poke around some more.

Funny, I just encountered this myself a few minutes ago. Are you north of the first message board in No Man's Land, at a cave with old scaffolding on the outside? If so, it stayed white for me as well until I went back outside and looted a container on the scaffolding.

EDIT: Looks like I am scaffolding pals with Bardeh.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How do I kick off the Griffon set treasure hunt? I stumbled across a book for Cat school, but it's way too high level.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

I found a steel sword that has +10% chance to stun that somehow bugged to actually have a 100% chance of stun, (possibly having something to that I socketed it with a bugged +0 damage rune), so merely tapping enemies with it causes me to instagib them them with epic takedowns en masse.

As a result of a quest on an island near Fyke Isle? If so, I think I got that sword too and it's bugged for me aswell. It's the best sword I have so I don't want to stop using it but it's kinda cheap.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bardeh posted:

There was one little nekker dungeon that I couldn't get to go grey. Turned out there was a box to loot on the scaffolding just outside the entrance, and a little cubbyhole just inside that I'd missed. Just make sure you've looted everything inside and out.

I thought I had, got some loot from the scaffold, a box and a sack outside the door, a bunch of chests in an alcove and a moss-covered chest much further into the mini-dungeon. Oh well, I should get to bed, this can be a Tomorrow Problem.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Funny, I just encountered this myself a few minutes ago. Are you north of the first message board in No Man's Land, at a cave with old scaffolding on the outside? If so, it stayed white for me as well until I went back outside and looted a container on the scaffolding.

EDIT: Looks like I am scaffolding pals with Bardeh.

Directly north of Mulbrydale, yeah, northwest of Hanged Man's Tree.

Memento fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It'd be the same. That 5/5 dodge ability is really good.

Why does he still roll if he has that ability?