Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ekuNNN posted:

That's why I put people on bikes in my vr game:

Give this to me. Give it now.

Edit: Make bike-mode mods for open world games. Bike Skyrim! Bike GTA5! I would lose so much weight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gamified stationary cycles are all over the place at my gym.. no one uses them because the games are stupid, play stupid, and have poo poo graphics. :v:

The people that made the zombies jogging game should maybe get into that somehow.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Wouldn't one major problem with that be actually selling the idea to gyms? To break even on a 1-2 year game with 3D assets + developing a VR headset that can handle years worth of sweat without becoming disgusting or shorting the price per unit would be ridiculous.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The major problem is actually the lenses fogging up super quickly if you start sweating, so you can't actually use it for excercise at the moment.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Wearing a headset while doing cardio is a bad idea for a number of reasons, most of which include sweat.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Ekster posted:

I want to make games just for fun, I have no intention of making money out of it and I'll mostly do everything myself. Naturally I'm not thinking about doing anything ambitious, just something to test some ideas of mine. I've tried Unity out a couple of years ago but it was bit too complex for my purposes. I don't have a problem with doing some minor programming but I'd much rather focus on the visual and audio stuff.

Given the above GameMaker seems to be my best bet, right? It doesn't necessarily have to be a 2D engine.

Probably GameMaker yep. The new version of Unreal has the blueprints thing though, if you want to do 3D.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Who cares about gyms? I want it in my house, that's the whole point.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ekster posted:

I want to make games just for fun, I have no intention of making money out of it and I'll mostly do everything myself. Naturally I'm not thinking about doing anything ambitious, just something to test some ideas of mine. I've tried Unity out a couple of years ago but it was bit too complex for my purposes. I don't have a problem with doing some minor programming but I'd much rather focus on the visual and audio stuff.

Given the above GameMaker seems to be my best bet, right? It doesn't necessarily have to be a 2D engine.

Gunpoint's Tom Francis has been doing GameMaker tutorials on Youtube. I'm halfway through what he currently has available and it's a pretty fun way to learn.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mutata posted:

Who cares about gyms? I want it in my house, that's the whole point.

We've got an older version in our studio where you're in some weird sci-fi city in space and you can fly through the air by using ramps or ringing your bicycle bell and that is lots of fun to play with when youre drinking and hanging out with people :cheers:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
If you're a hobbyist and just getting started I'd highly recommend Unity.

If you're a Software Engineer, go for Unreal Engine 4.

GameMaker is fine but it has tons of issues and the skills don't translate to an actual game job as much as Unity or UE4.

Both UE4 and Unity experience will help get you hired if you hate yourself enough to get a job in this industry.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
As someone who's trying to do a little 3d project in unity, and is sucking at the programming side of things, UE4s blueprints look awesome for what i wanna do, would it be worth making the switch over?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Keket posted:

As someone who's trying to do a little 3d project in unity, and is sucking at the programming side of things, UE4s blueprints look awesome for what i wanna do, would it be worth making the switch over?

Yes. Though understanding programming concepts will help you make better scripts, even visual ones. The documentation for getting up and running in unreal is pretty good too.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Thanks for the advice guys, I've been doing a couple of GameMaker tutorials and I'm happy with what I've seen so far. I might switch to Unity/UE4 once I have more experience with actually creating games but for now this will suffice.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Resource posted:

Yes. Though understanding programming concepts will help you make better scripts, even visual ones. The documentation for getting up and running in unreal is pretty good too.

How well does it work with blender over unity?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I've been working some more on camera orientation, and I'm comparing The Last Of Us with a shot from my office:

The Last of us camera has pretty good gamefeel, it's like it "puts" you in the character- inputs have direct feedback, and it lends the illusion of looking through that person's eyes/over their shoulder while maintaining really good utility and camera dexterity.

Mine doesn't have the same feel at all- it's a little awkward, and there's a disconnect between player and character. Is there an obvious glaring difference between the two, besides the fact that one of these two screenshots was produced by a team of professionals with a boatload of experience? :)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
One major difference I see is that your detective is standing at an angle to the camera, while the kid is facing squarely away from it. Perhaps that contributes to the feeling that the camera (you) is a person in the room with another person, the detective, who isn't you, which is what I get from your shot.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Omi no Kami posted:

So I've been working some more on camera orientation, and I'm comparing The Last Of Us with a shot from my office:

The Last of us camera has pretty good gamefeel, it's like it "puts" you in the character- inputs have direct feedback, and it lends the illusion of looking through that person's eyes/over their shoulder while maintaining really good utility and camera dexterity.

Mine doesn't have the same feel at all- it's a little awkward, and there's a disconnect between player and character. Is there an obvious glaring difference between the two, besides the fact that one of these two screenshots was produced by a team of professionals with a boatload of experience? :)

I'm not sure if the camera stays this way, but it looks like they're using the rule of thirds a bit here. At least for the X axis. Cameras are surprisingly complex/dynamic in AAA games, so there's probably all kinds of trickery going on.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Jon93 posted:

If you're a hobbyist and just getting started I'd highly recommend Unity.

If you're a Software Engineer, go for Unreal Engine 4.

GameMaker is fine but it has tons of issues and the skills don't translate to an actual game job as much as Unity or UE4.

Both UE4 and Unity experience will help get you hired if you hate yourself enough to get a job in this industry.

Is this just general advice for things? I'm a Construct 2 user and while I understand I'm never doing 3d with it, I do like it a lot for what it offers in the 2d sector. I can't wrap my head around code fast enough and I'm all about intuitive GUIs. I COULD teach myself legitimate code but at this point my time is limited enough that learning yet another program is just going to sit further and further on the backburner.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Keket posted:

I don't know, I'm not much of a 3d artist, so I think I'll let someone with more experience with blender chime in.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Keket posted:

There's been a long term issue with Blender FBX files and Unreal Engine and animated bones, I've only been following it loosely so it may be fixed. The only thing I really know for sure is you want to use the ASCII FBX export, not the binary. You can read more about it here:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/98704/fbx-import-wrong-application-of-animations-to-bone.html

Other than that, it's supposed to be great. I even saw someone doing Blendshape animation for Unreal over on Polycount. I'm really liking Blender these days, it's pretty much got me past Maya and even ZBrush to some extent. I'm not a real artist or anything though, I just dabble.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Is this just general advice for things? I'm a Construct 2 user and while I understand I'm never doing 3d with it, I do like it a lot for what it offers in the 2d sector. I can't wrap my head around code fast enough and I'm all about intuitive GUIs. I COULD teach myself legitimate code but at this point my time is limited enough that learning yet another program is just going to sit further and further on the backburner.
Yes. Unity 3D is one of those tools that I've literally watched a non-technical 3D artist sit down with, blind, and 2 weeks later she's convening creative team meetings and showing the playable prototype of the game she wants to make. It is THAT approachable to novices. The code is simple, and there are a billion people in the community such that just about any question you could think to google? There is probably both a clear answer AND copy-pasteable source code to go with it.

Unreal Engine 4, meanwhile, is a weird divide. Blueprint is incredibly powerful and worth learning, and just about anyone can use it to make great things. There are a reasonable number of tutorials out there, though you can find fringe territory that's less documented. OTOH, the nanosecond you tiptoe over into its C++, you'll hit a massive brick wall learning curve.

If you can learn Construct / GameMaker / whatever, you can learn Blueprint, and UE4 isn't going anywhere. It's very worth learning. But so is C# / Unity 3D. Just depends which community you want to dip your toes in.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Shalinor posted:

Yes. Unity 3D is one of those tools that I've literally watched a non-technical 3D artist sit down with, blind, and 2 weeks later she's convening creative team meetings and showing the playable prototype of the game she wants to make. It is THAT approachable to novices. The code is simple, and there are a billion people in the community such that just about any question you could think to google? There is probably both a clear answer AND copy-pasteable source code to go with it.

Unreal Engine 4, meanwhile, is a weird divide. Blueprint is incredibly powerful and worth learning, and just about anyone can use it to make great things. There are a reasonable number of tutorials out there, though you can find fringe territory that's less documented. OTOH, the nanosecond you tiptoe over into its C++, you'll hit a massive brick wall learning curve.

If you can learn Construct / GameMaker / whatever, you can learn Blueprint, and UE4 isn't going anywhere. It's very worth learning. But so is C# / Unity 3D. Just depends which community you want to dip your toes in.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to watch a few tutorials, and that would allow me to actually start work on the idea I really want to make work. I've heard good about C# and not so much about C++ so I think I'm going to give Unity a go.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to watch a few tutorials, and that would allow me to actually start work on the idea I really want to make work. I've heard good about C# and not so much about C++ so I think I'm going to give Unity a go.

C++ is fine, it's just more verbose with decades of cruft. The informational cruft around it and trying to determine best practices being the worst.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

C++ and C# are used in the real world, C# is much easier to ramp into and has many more non-game development jobs than C++. More game development jobs are C++ than C# but the amount of which that is true changes every year.

If you're interested as a hobbyist C#/Unity is much easier and is a direct stepping stone into a tons of non-Game development jobs.

The previous comment about C++ is correct but besides being more verbose it also allows much lower access to the way computers work for better or worse. Directly allocating/deallocating memory and doing pointer arithmetic are necessary requirements for extremely high performance operations, however high performance operations are relativity few and far between nowadays.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 22, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, rule of thirds helps a lot:

I'm not sure what else needs to change, though: it might be because I've been playing with it for so long that my eyes blurred over, but I can tell it's not quite there, but not why. Changing the camera's y level in either direction looks weird, and if I zoom in any more you get a better feeling of being connected to the character, but it starts to edge into resident evil "Can't see poo poo" territory:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it looks nice, the only thing that really bugs me is the popping when camera hits geometry.

Collisions with the world no third person game has ever managed to solve though so I'm not sure there's much you can do about it. Smoothing out the pops might help but you're never going to be able to avoid them entirely.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The popping bugs me too, especially in the configurations from the gif (where the camera is farther away): for me, the one time I notice the camera offset is when I turn and it goes from maximum range to popping against a near wall and back to maximum range.

It bugs me a little that the offset loses some of the dramatic character of the centered camera I started with, but I think that's something which goes in the category of "Looks nice, doesn't play well":

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
We did a _ton_ of prediction and blends for camera collision. I think it was pretty awesome (The Order).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Omi no Kami posted:

The popping bugs me too, especially in the configurations from the gif (where the camera is farther away): for me, the one time I notice the camera offset is when I turn and it goes from maximum range to popping against a near wall and back to maximum range.

Can't you smooth the camera out a bit? Slow down how fast it can go back out?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ooh, the speed does make the popping way less noticeable.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Splat posted:

We did a _ton_ of prediction and blends for camera collision. I think it was pretty awesome (The Order).

We also sculpted specific camera-only collision to smooth out bumps. For tight rooms like that in particular you may want to invent a camera-only collision that is smoothed around all the corners.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm looking for some advice on game engine selection, myself. I'm working on a game with an artist, partially because we want to make a game, but actually largely because we want to learn better practices, and I specifically want to hone my programming skills. We're thinking something very art-and-text driven, probably along the lines of The Yawhg if anyone is familiar. Here's my situation: I'm equally familiar with Python and C# (which is to say, I've got the basics down in both, but not much beyond that) so we were looking at doing the game either in Ren'py or Unity, probably with Futile, since I'm mostly interested in programming on this project.

Any advice on why one option would be better/worse than the other? I've worked in Unity quite a bit, though only with the audio systems, and I've never dealt with Ren'py before.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Obsurveyor posted:

There's been a long term issue with Blender FBX files and Unreal Engine and animated bones, I've only been following it loosely so it may be fixed. The only thing I really know for sure is you want to use the ASCII FBX export, not the binary. You can read more about it here:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/98704/fbx-import-wrong-application-of-animations-to-bone.html

Other than that, it's supposed to be great. I even saw someone doing Blendshape animation for Unreal over on Polycount. I'm really liking Blender these days, it's pretty much got me past Maya and even ZBrush to some extent. I'm not a real artist or anything though, I just dabble.

Yeah, i really want to continue learning unity, but i just cant code for poo poo, every time i try my brain just ends up scrambled, its a shame as unity and blender work really loving well together.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for some advice on game engine selection, myself. I'm working on a game with an artist, partially because we want to make a game, but actually largely because we want to learn better practices, and I specifically want to hone my programming skills. We're thinking something very art-and-text driven, probably along the lines of The Yawhg if anyone is familiar. Here's my situation: I'm equally familiar with Python and C# (which is to say, I've got the basics down in both, but not much beyond that) so we were looking at doing the game either in Ren'py or Unity, probably with Futile, since I'm mostly interested in programming on this project.

Any advice on why one option would be better/worse than the other? I've worked in Unity quite a bit, though only with the audio systems, and I've never dealt with Ren'py before.

If you want to hone your programming skills, don't use Ren'py. If you want to make a v-novel style game, use Ren'py.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I'm trying to find a solution for moving transforms along a spline in Unity 5. So far I have found Hermite Spline Controller which is free but seems outdated and unsupported. On the other hand I saw that it can be done with iTween which I have heard great things about anyways.

I just need very basic path following and preferably a Unity GUI component for designing the paths in visually in 3D in the editor.

EDIT: I should be clear, I'm working on a 3d on-rails shooter and I just need one path with probably lots of nodes. I found this free Visual iTween Path Editor package which looks like it could do the job but looking at this example each path can only be around ~10 nodes.

EDIT: Unfortunately it looks like the Visual iTween Path Editor doesn't support rotations on nodes.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 23, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So this is a weird consideration, but is there any way to incentivize daily activities without sims-style bars? I'm trying to go for zero or near-zero UI, and balancing bars isn't fun, but I really don't like that without the life sim component your character has no motivation to eat, use the bathroom, shower, change his clothes, or really do anything that flesh and blood humans do- he's basically robocop at this point, spending all his waking hours chasing the guilty.

I can make that work, but I'd really prefer to work out at least a rudimentary economy for daily life.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Sluggish controls when they need to eat or sleep? Characters commenting on the the players smell when they need to change clothes/shower? Hell maybe getting texts telling them they stink and should go take a shower.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

So this is a weird consideration, but is there any way to incentivize daily activities without sims-style bars? I'm trying to go for zero or near-zero UI, and balancing bars isn't fun, but I really don't like that without the life sim component your character has no motivation to eat, use the bathroom, shower, change his clothes, or really do anything that flesh and blood humans do- he's basically robocop at this point, spending all his waking hours chasing the guilty.

I can make that work, but I'd really prefer to work out at least a rudimentary economy for daily life.

Why, though?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Omi no Kami posted:

So this is a weird consideration, but is there any way to incentivize daily activities without sims-style bars? I'm trying to go for zero o r near-zero UI, and balancing bars isn't fun, but I really don't like that without the life sim component your character has no motivation to eat, use the bathroom, shower, change his clothes, or really do anything that flesh and blood humans do- he's basically robocop at this point, spending all his waking hours chasing the guilty.

The simplest way is just make them give you bonuses, eating gives minor health regen, drinking temporarily gives more Max stamina, that kind of thing. I'd suggest avoiding penalties for neglecting your needs and just sticking to giving bonuses to fulfilling them, because otherwise it just feels like busywork you need to do before you can play the game, instead of something you can do to increase your performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Omi no Kami posted:

Is doing that stuff fun at all, though? I mean all you are setting up is the potential for there to be an exciting crime solving scene, then suddenly OH NO YOU NEED TO POOP, OH NO YOU DIED BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T POOP.

Just have that stuff take place in an automatic scene that takes place once a day.