Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Woo is a bad choice to be on the next season but I like that he's basically a Pokémon and incapable of saying anything but his own name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I would have loved to see the paranoia accusations against mike addressed, but I guess they were short on time anyway. Are there interviews out there with dan or tyler that go into that for a bit?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm shattered about Shane being snubbed. Him and Lex are my two favorite players of all time.

Feel sorry for T-Bird as well

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

sportsgenius86 posted:

Kelley Wentworth owns and she's my pony. Go listen to her RHAP episode. She's a sleeper for sure.

Her game was ruined by her idiot dad and she's hot as he'll so I'm half she's on.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I just caught up. Really liked Jen's / Shirin's FTC speeches - I actually wish that Shirin was coming back for next season, I found her pretty entertaining. Also funny was watching Rodney get as far as one could go while never getting a reward challenge - he even got voted off before the Final 3 breakfast.

I'm really looking forward to next season - I feel like it's almost certainly going to break down into old-school versus new-school players, but that's fine. I'm pre-emptively cheering for Varner, Savage, Kass, and Ciera to go far because they were all favorites of mine in their respective seasons. I wonder if Cagayan players will be targetted early out of fear of their having a lot of connections with each other, it's surprising that 4/6 of the top 6 from that season are back.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Murmur Twin posted:

I actually wish that Shirin was coming back for next season, I found her pretty entertaining.
She is!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

I just caught up. Really liked Jen's / Shirin's FTC speeches - I actually wish that Shirin was coming back for next season, I found her pretty entertaining.

She is

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
She is!!

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
she is!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
....apparently I was not paying a super amount of attention to that part! That's crazy, I totally don't remember her being announced to return. :350:

Man oh man a Shirin / Abi-Maria / Kass / Ciera F4 would make me so incredibly happy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think Dan is sorry for the wrong reasons (i.e. being called out on his shittiness) but as far as I remember his apology to Shirin wasn't conditional and felt genuine and he understands why what he said was wrong. Will not only got irritated about being asked to give an apology but he insisted that the person he was apologizing to needed to take two actions in order to be fixed so he can go get hosed forever.

I can't wait for Spencer and Shirin to be on the same tribe.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

blue squares posted:

Rodney wasn't a goat. He created a final three deal out of thin air with totally random people (Carolyn and Will) and they all made it to final four. Rodney played a good strategic game.
Do you buy the argument that Rodney would have been a better winner than Mike?
http://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/36t09y/mikes_game_really_not_that_good_outside/

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

elgarbo posted:

Cambodia is a way rad location - it's great that we're not just getting Nicaragua/Samoa redux v.237.

Hopefully they stick them out in the temples in the jungle and not just at Generic Cambodian Beach location.
From what I've heard the conditions are supposed to be hellish out there. They say the insects are worse than at Marquesas and it's like 100 degrees. Hopefully everyone survives!! Someone on French Survivor died out there.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Fast Luck posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/36t09y/mikes_game_really_not_that_good_outside/

Mike won 5 individual immunities, threw a challenge to keep his ally Kelly in the game, detected that there was a revolt against him in the works and the jury liked him enough to give him the money. He deserves to win.

Rodney on the other hand organized the goats into an alliance, which is a solid strategy, but immunities challenges are in the game exactly to counter this kind of strategy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GaussianCopula posted:

Rodney on the other hand organized the goats into an alliance, which is a solid strategy, but immunities challenges are in the game exactly to counter this kind of strategy.

Mama C would still have beat him if it came to them and Will.

This is taking for granted that Rodney isn't too braindead to strategize at all, which is a pretty big assumption imo.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

GaussianCopula posted:

Mike won 5 individual immunities, threw a challenge to keep his ally Kelly in the game, detected that there was a revolt against him in the works and the jury liked him enough to give him the money. He deserves to win.

I like immunity challenges as something that can throw people for a loop and force them to adjust their plans. But really, someone winning every single immunity challenge is not something that's ever happened before. Joe couldn't do it. Terry Deitz couldn't do it. Tony specifically counted on Spencer not being able to do it when he let Spencer stick around in order to bounce people like LJ and Jefra. Mike actually winning by virtue of nonstop challenge wins feels like kind of a freak happening. That said, his competition in the challenges was really pretty weak. Those people couldn't win poo poo.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Mike didn't just win the last few challenges, he dominated them. The editors made things look a lot closer than they were for TV I think, whenever there were wide shots you could see Mike was usually head and shoulders ahead of the competition.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Unmerciful posted:

I think their strategy is eventually Nina will start crying again and fill up the bucket with tears.

i need to bring this post back from the dead btw.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Maybe not better, but if they both were sitting at the end, Rodney also deserved it. I think at that point FTC performance would be very important. Rodney played a good game even though he was not likeable (to me).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Holmes: Alright, Rodney vs. Carolyn. I was under the impression that a lot more people liked Rodney then they were letting on. So, were you worried that Rodney might sway some votes or did you want to take Carolyn along because it’d seem like you were taking someone strong?
Holloway: Taking nothing away from Carolyn or Rodney, I felt like I could beat either one of them in the finals. But, the fire decision was to show the rest of the jury, “Hey look, we’ve been out here so long and these guys are taking 50 minutes to make a fire.”
Holmes: (Laughs)
Holloway: (Laughs) I had to show the jury, I couldn’t tell them. It’s like Dan, I couldn’t tell Dan that he was on the bottom. I had to show him. But the decision to take Carolyn over Rodney was that Rodney had turned a page in the game. Rodney had started being very humorous. And at the end of the game in “Survivor,” humor goes a long way. And I don’t think Rodney’s getting enough strategic respect for the game that he played.

Mike confirmed for best.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Dugong posted:

I'm pretty hyped for Cambodia

It's a holiday in Cambodia?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTsXHXMkJA

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
all dan's grumpy baby faces at ftc were the best.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fast Luck posted:

I like immunity challenges as something that can throw people for a loop and force them to adjust their plans. But really, someone winning every single immunity challenge is not something that's ever happened before. Joe couldn't do it. Terry Deitz couldn't do it. Tony specifically counted on Spencer not being able to do it when he let Spencer stick around in order to bounce people like LJ and Jefra. Mike actually winning by virtue of nonstop challenge wins feels like kind of a freak happening. That said, his competition in the challenges was really pretty weak. Those people couldn't win poo poo.

Well most of the people who could take him on in challenges were taken out well before the end. Joe, Jenn, Joaquin, Vince. Carolyn was his only endgame competition, even if Sierra came close a couple of times. I don't think anyone anticipated Rodney being so bad at challenges at the start of the season though.

I thought this season shaped up pretty well. The most deserving player won but it wasn't a walkover like One World, and Mike hardly played a flawless game (the auction being the big sore point), but was good enough that he's still one of the better players over the past few years. And even the invisible people at the end (Sierra) had some semblance of game savviness going on.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 22, 2015

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

Holloway: (Laughs) I had to show the jury, I couldn’t tell them. It’s like Dan, I couldn’t tell Dan that he was on the bottom. I had to show him. But the decision to take Carolyn over Rodney was that Rodney had turned a page in the game. Rodney had started being very humorous. And at the end of the game in “Survivor,” humor goes a long way. And I don’t think Rodney’s getting enough strategic respect for the game that he played.

Mike confirmed for best.
If you believe him. That's pretty much the opposite of what he said on TV, including in confessionals.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

He also told Carolyn to practise. If he was really about showing off how crap they were, he wouldn't have suggested she practise.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shakugan posted:

He also told Carolyn to practise. If he was really about showing off how crap they were, he wouldn't have suggested she practise.

We don't know he didn't tell Rodney to practice too.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

IRQ posted:

We don't know he didn't tell Rodney to practice too.

Irrelevant. If his goal was actually to show that they were both lovely at making fire, he wouldn't have told either to practise.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Mike told Carolyn to practice, but he clearly didn't show her how to actually do it. Rodney was smart to shave the magnesium, it looked like Carolyn just got lucky that a stray spark happened to ignite the husk.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Poque posted:

I think Dan is sorry for the wrong reasons (i.e. being called out on his shittiness) but as far as I remember his apology to Shirin wasn't conditional and felt genuine and he understands why what he said was wrong. Will not only got irritated about being asked to give an apology but he insisted that the person he was apologizing to needed to take two actions in order to be fixed so he can go get hosed forever.

I can't wait for Spencer and Shirin to be on the same tribe.

Dan is just really loving ignorant. He tries way too hard to look cool and funny and it makes him look like a stupid rear end in a top hat, but I think he genuinely at least tries. Will is a piece of poo poo.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Dan is the definition of a pompous rear end.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Dan reminds me of those kids in high school who never quite fit in. Someone who isn't part of the cool/popular kids but he also isn't a complete loser who gets bullied by everyone. Sure he probably has a small group of friends but they are all in the same boat together. So in order to stand out he develops quirks hoping they will make him interesting.

Dan is basically a hipster v1.0. From the ridiculous facial hair to the stupid hat to the over the top expressions. It all screams, 'I'm different and interesting and cool, so please pay attention to me.'

Eb
May 6, 2003
Dan is all over the place all the time, I don't think even he knows what he really thinks. He made for good television though. Funny how big of an effect Mike's obvious pandering had at the FTC.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TMMadman posted:

Dan is basically a hipster v1.0. From the ridiculous facial hair to the stupid hat to the over the top expressions. It all screams, 'I'm different and interesting and cool, so please pay attention to me.'

We did it folks, this is the least appropriate usage of the word hipster. I'm glad I could be here to celebrate it with all of you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He's not wrong though, it's just that the word has lost all meaning at this point.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

As someone who lives in a major university town, I can say with certainty that it has not.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

From what I've heard the conditions are supposed to be hellish out there. They say the insects are worse than at Marquesas and it's like 100 degrees. Hopefully everyone survives!! Someone on French Survivor died out there.

Yup. Season 32 just finished filming there, and the conditions were apparently terrible. As for the Second Chancers heading there right now to film Season 31, it's only going to get worse - they're entering into monsoon season.

Also, I read that this current season, that final challenge was particularly challenging because they hadn't eaten in three days. They ran out of food. I'm surprised they didn't bother to show that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm 17 minutes into the RHAP with Shane Powers last night and holy poo poo do not miss this interview. Shane is dishing on all the behind the scenes stuff. Talking about pregame alliances for the upcoming season, the process getting on the show and more.

This is why I love Shane. Most former players are paranoid of the NDA and always scared of pissing off production by saying the wrong thing cause they want to play again so badly. Shane just throws it all out there and figures they'll either bring him back or they won't.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Mike's victory is going to reinforce the strategy of not letting strong physical people get to the merge for fear of an immunity run, regardless of the fact that it was a rare occurrence putting him in elite standing.

That could be good news for next season considering the strategic players who may not be physical threats themselves, like Kass. I can't remember how good Fishbach was in challenges. I bet Spencer has been doing endurance training from the moment he realized he could have another shot :v:.

I actually hope Joe ups his strategy game a lot considering he just got taught that you can make bold moves and win.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Factor Mystic posted:

That could be good news for next season considering the strategic players who may not be physical threats themselves, like Kass. I can't remember how good Fishbach was in challenges. I bet Spencer has been doing endurance training from the moment he realized he could have another shot :v:.

Stephen won one by memorizing something really long in one go and his reaction was super adorable and included him hopping up and down. Go Stephen!

found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQeg1eCji8

Poque fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
This Shane interview just keeps getting better and better.

Apparently he figures 26 of the 32 possible returnees reached out to him to try and form pregame alliances. He wasn't reaching out to anyone figuring letting them come to him would put him in a better bargaining position. Kass tried to promise him a final five alliance. The people he named that didn't reach out to him were Spencer, Tasha, Sabrina, Ciera, and one of the Kellys although it sounded like the 26 might have been a rough estimate with one or two more people who didn't contact him. He was certain the people who didn't contact him were also working on pregame alliances, they just didn't include him.

He doesn't know for sure but the rumblings he heard were that it'd be two tribes to start with a switch to three six person tribes once they get down to 18 people.

I'm not even half way through the podcast. :psyduck:

• Locked thread