Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Eh the tumbler cis trigger jokes are stale as poo poo and have been told for months on end, that's cool though, we can still talk some GoT, tell us again about the time you looked it up on you direct tv guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

How can you not realise that when a white person is singing an inappropriate reggae song in a spoof-documentary, the target of the joke is not Jamaican culture?

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Lemon posted:

How can you not realise that when a white person is singing an inappropriate reggae song in a spoof-documentary, the target of the joke is not Jamaican culture?

Because people go out of their way to find things to be offended about.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ok this is poo poo when does next week's thread go up?

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Arglebargle III posted:

Ok this is poo poo when does next week's thread go up?

This is next week's thread.

I have a question about Tommen. Why can't he just stand up and say "gently caress this poo poo, I am the King, this Faith Militant bullshit is over, you guys aren't going to arrest my wife." He has to have more power than them, right? So many things are happening this season that defy logic. Like Littlefinger's trip to King's Landing. It seems like when compared with everything else, it happened almost instantaneously, but we know that it is a really long trip. Are we supposed to believe Jamie and Bronn have been riding around in those clothes for a month or so? gently caress.

These things may have been addressed, but I skipped over like 15 pages of rape chat.

E: now that I think about it, maybe Littlefinger began his journey a few episodes ago?

Obligatory Handle fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 23, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I think we're to assume a few weeks/months have passed between episodes.

Obligatory Handle posted:

I have a question about Tommen. Why can't he just stand up and say "gently caress this poo poo, I am the King, this Faith Militant bullshit is over, you guys aren't going to arrest my wife." He has to have more power than them, right? So many things are happening this season that defy logic.

Two reasons:
1) Tommen is a pussy.
2) Tommen can order them to disarm, but he may not have the manpower to enforce that order if they refuse.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Tommen and his guard have been severely outnumbered by militia in almost every important scene. Why he doesn't de-arm them and use his military is because he's actually 9 years old in the books or whatever and isn't really in power.

The shows uses a combination of circumstance and "the people's support of the sparrrows" to avoid the obvious resolution.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

I have a question about Tommen. Why can't he just stand up and say "gently caress this poo poo, I am the King, this Faith Militant bullshit is over, you guys aren't going to arrest my wife." He has to have more power than them, right? So many things are happening this season that defy logic.
Tommen is decidedly the son who was not meant to be king, so he was never taught how to rule. Plus having Joffrey as his older brother probably taught him to avoid conflict. Power is useless if you don't dare use it.

Like Littlefinger's trip to King's Landing. It seems like when compared with everything else, it happened almost instantaneously, but we know that it is a really long trip. Are we supposed to believe Jamie and Bronn have been riding around in those clothes for a month or so? gently caress.
I think the best explanation is that the storylines aren't 100% concurrent. Doesn't really matter if one storyline takes place over months, while another lasts maybe a week, if they're not interacting with each other.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Tommen is basically George Michael Bluth

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

IMB posted:

pisses me off how loving handsome ramsey's actor is

Hes in the british show Misfits about a bunch of poo poo superheroes and he does a really good job of playing both a creepy spergy guy and cool confident hero version of the same character.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think the best explanation is that the storylines aren't 100% concurrent. Doesn't really matter if one storyline takes place over months, while another lasts maybe a week, if they're not interacting with each other.

I figured it might be this.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

massive spider posted:

Hes in the british show Misfits about a bunch of poo poo superheroes and he does a really good job of playing both a creepy spergy guy and cool confident hero version of the same character.

Misfits owns

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

there are no transgender characters?

Actually the mountain is recovering from a gender reassignment under that sheet.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Misfits owns

Everything past the first season drifts between mediocre and awful.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Xoidanor posted:

Everything past the first season drifts between mediocre and awful.

Rudy owns

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I have a question about Tommen. Why can't he just stand up and say "gently caress this poo poo, I am the King, this Faith Militant bullshit is over, you guys aren't going to arrest my wife." He has to have more power than them, right?

His dumb as poo poo mother gave the fanatics a full army, and now is planning to send their own army to help Littlefinger.

Plus they are zealots. If the orders was given to kill the King, I doubt they'd flinch at the idea of throwing themselves straight into his Kingsguard to do it. Not to mention they keep having trials and meetings on the Sparrow's own turf, where Tommen is bringing like two or three guards. And then there's the popular opinion of the people if the King attacks the faith, though I doubt Tommen's even though that far.

It's almost a shame they aged Tommen's character up so he could bang Margery instead of leaving him a little kid that just wants to play with his cats. It makes his behavior even more sadly accurate.

an skeleton posted:

On that note... I've never understood the surging anti-cultural appropriation movement. I understand not wanting people to appropriate things in an extremely offensive manner, but I hardly see absorbing each other's cultural traits or traditions to be inherently bad.

Given literally all of civilization is built on cultures absorbing elements from each other to evolve, the fact there is even a movement is absolutely hilarious.

If that didn't exist we'd probably still have a Roman empire stomping around being complete loving assholes.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 23, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Misfits owns

It owns up until around the end of his arc when most of the cast leave at which point it throws up its hands and turns into a superpowered sex comedy.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

I have a question about Tommen. Why can't he just stand up and say "gently caress this poo poo, I am the King, this Faith Militant bullshit is over, you guys aren't going to arrest my wife." He has to have more power than them, right?
Like Varys said, power resides where people believe it resides, and not even Tommen believes he has any power.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AtraMorS posted:

Like Varys said, power resides where people believe it resides, and not even Tommen believes he has any power.

I kind of think this will be his undoing, or worse.

Lots of people have pointed out the whole incest-baby thing is something that one of the converted knows all about. Every time he's in stabbing distance I kind of wince.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Tommen's pretty hosed, if the religious zealots don't get him, the One True King or the dragon queen will

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ser Pounce will protect him.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Blazing Ownager posted:

If that didn't exist we'd probably still have a Roman empire stomping around being complete loving assholes.

Haha, like 95% of Rome's culture was appropriated

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't really fault Tommen for what's happening here - he's relatively young, inexperienced, and lacks a strong, competent advisor like Tywin or Tyrion.

Poor kid's in way over his head here, and there's not a whole lot he can do about it.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Blazing Ownager posted:

His dumb as poo poo mother gave the fanatics a full army, and now is planning to send their own army to help Littlefinger.

That's not happening though. Littlefinger said "send the Lannister army" knowing Cersei wouldn't because she's paranoid and has no one who can handle it anyway(Kevan took his ball and went home); the knights of the Vale are the ones going.

This after he owned her about the hypocrisy and stupidity of arresting Loras.

The issue is more that whatever soldiers they have, Cersei has personally driven every capable commander she might have trusted away from King's Landing after creating a religious fanatic army there.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 23, 2015

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

I can't really fault Tommen for what's happening here - he's relatively young, inexperienced, and lacks a strong, competent advisor like Tywin or Tyrion

Joffrey wouldnt put up with any of that poo poo, certainly wouldnt share power with religious nuts or some High Sparrow.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hexel posted:

Joffrey wouldnt put up with any of that poo poo, certainly wouldnt share power with religious nuts or some High Sparrow.

Yeah, and he almost certainly would've incited a massive riot in the process.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Tommen is actually more intolerable than Joffrey.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Tommen doesn't just lack competent advisors, he lacks advisors period. His mom and wife are too busy having their war, and the only useful person on his small council is Qyburn, who is too busy being a mad scientist. His two best Kingsguard are off on missions and one of them is Meryn fuckin' Trant; the rest are non-characters.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

three posted:

Tommen is actually more intolerable than Joffrey.

Joffrey died a virgin, so Tommen is cooler by default.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Lloyd Boner posted:

Tommen doesn't just lack competent advisors, he lacks advisors period. His mom and wife are too busy having their war, and the only useful person on his small council is Qyburn, who is too busy being a mad scientist. His two best Kingsguard are off on missions and one of them is Meryn fuckin' Trant; the rest are non-characters.

Yeah it's easy to forget that large portions of Joffrey's reign were supervised by Tyrion or Tywin as Hand. Tommen has no one, and Cersei is actively more deranged now than before

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Tommen pretty much needs a strong and loyal Hand (or at least a Hand who actively wishes to restore order) before the whole city goes to poo poo. Tommen was less well prepared to rule than even Joffrey was, so it's hard to blame him. The thing is, I'm pretty sure his list of Hand candidates are pretty short, and even if he does get one it's almost guaranteed whoever it is will be a puppet of his mother like the rest of the council.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
It's ironic that Tywin taught Tommen that a wise king has to listen to his councilors, but now the small council is entirely in the control of a crazy and paranoid queen mother. It's too bad Tywin never taught Tommen that sometimes, people on the council aren't actually that wise and usually have their own agenda.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IncendiaC posted:

It's ironic that Tywin taught Tommen that a wise king has to listen to his councilors, but now the small council is entirely in the control of a crazy and paranoid queen mother. It's too bad Tywin never taught Tommen that sometimes, people on the council aren't actually that wise and usually have their own agenda.

I went back and watched that scene, and Tywin essentially called it perfectly. Tommen has the right temperament for a king, yes, but he lacks for the other attributes (strength, wisdom, etc). If he had a few years of learning from competent people like Tywin and the old small council, he'd probably grow into a relatively good king. Instead, he's left adrift with sycophantic advisers who're all wrapped around the finger of his mother, whom he can't bring himself to disobey. The poor kid wants to do the right thing, he just doesn't know what it is.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He'd probably be okay if his great uncle was Hand of the King. But first and foremost, he has to tell his mom to get lost.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lycus posted:

He'd probably be okay if his great uncle was Hand of the King. But first and foremost, he has to tell his mom to get lost.

That's exactly why Cersei got rid of Kevan, though, because Kevan was a lot like Tywin and would have been a decent advisor. And part of being a decent advisor would have been shutting down Cersei's constant bullshit, so she pissed him off until he went back home.

At this point, with the two Tyrells in jail there's basically no one left to get rid of her, and Tommen certainly doesn't have the balls for it. This is all leading up to some kind of catastrophic fuckstorm where the Sparrows turn on them and overthrow Tommen for being an incest bastard when they think they're strong enough for it, I'm sure. I can't really see any other outcome.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

cock hero flux posted:

That's exactly why Cersei got rid of Kevan, though, because Kevan was a lot like Tywin and would have been a decent advisor. And part of being a decent advisor would have been shutting down Cersei's constant bullshit, so she pissed him off until he went back home.

At this point, with the two Tyrells in jail there's basically no one left to get rid of her, and Tommen certainly doesn't have the balls for it. This is all leading up to some kind of catastrophic fuckstorm where the Sparrows turn on them and overthrow Tommen for being an incest bastard when they think they're strong enough for it, I'm sure. I can't really see any other outcome.

Well, I don't think Cersei was trying to get rid of Kevan necessarily. She wanted to order him around the way (she perceived) Tywin ordered him around, but of course, Kevan has absolutely no reason to give in to her poo poo. Which is even what he says "the king can talk to me, otherwise, I'm leaving". She probably trusted Kevan, she just has this delusion that she's the fitting heir to her father's legacy of cunning and leadership, when she is in fact petty and shortsighted.

She is really good at certain kinds of manipulation, though. Gotta give her credit for setting Margaery up like that

Boon posted:

I probably missed it somewhere in the last 10+ pages, but does anyone else find the sandsnake scenes incredibly contrived and poorly shot? The fact that it's already a large diversion from the book storyline just makes it that much worse.

I think those scenes have largely been panned. Dr. Bashir owns though

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 24, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I probably missed it somewhere in the last 10+ pages, but does anyone else find the sandsnake scenes incredibly contrived and poorly shot? The fact that it's already a large diversion from the book storyline just makes it that much worse.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I thought the Sand Snakes were supposed to talk a big game and end up being pathetic...that's the impression I was getting off them the whole time.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I think they should split the show up into two. Khaleesi and Sandsnakes for dumb idiots, and the rest for cool people. Maybe have the Khaleesi and Sandsnakes on Friday nights or something, since if you like those parts you probably are doing nothing on a Friday night anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

Well, I don't think Cersei was trying to get rid of Kevan necessarily.

I think she was. She didn't seem surprised or bothered when he decided to leave. And considering that she's systematically done away with all of the other council members except Qyburn and Pycelle it seems very likely to me that had Kevan not objected his first order as Master of War would have been long-term assignment away from the capital.

• Locked thread