Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The real question is, what does "Chip Cheezum" say about Chip Cheezum?

How about it, Chip. WHERE'S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE, CHIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Suspicious Cook posted:

If my phone could actually send calls and not just receive I'd call the police on this thread.
Did you try pressing Square?

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Yippee ki yay.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
No one must know I am actually hacker Lisbeth Salander :ninja:. Better wear a shirt with a HoMM golem on it and modulate my voice.

"You don't look manly."
"Do I look like a bluh?"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Does Aiden have big hulk hands or is Hackerchicks neck tiny?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I was looking up synonyms for a joke and now I feel like an idiot who doesn't know english. Was this supposed to be obvious and I'm a huge donkus?

I feel like I need to do vocabulary workbooks like in grammar school all over again... :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Actually "Safeguard" would be a kickass name for a game.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

VoidBurger posted:

I was looking up synonyms for a joke and now I feel like an idiot who doesn't know english. Was this supposed to be obvious and I'm a huge donkus?

I feel like I need to do vocabulary workbooks like in grammar school all over again... :(

Well it is the title of the game. :v:
But anyway, it's based on context I think? Being a vigilante is taking the law in your own hands while a watchdog is something or someone officially sanctioned?

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

VoidBurger posted:

There is a difference in connotation, but yeah. The intent is that the title would conjure this image.

I imagine the name comes from when he was taking revenge on the system itself since (when I have heard/used it) watchdog generally has the implication of oversight.

Edit: I don't think a watchdog needs official sanctioning. Most watchdog groups exist outside of whatever they are watching, but they also do not generally take action, especially violent action. They generally just make wrongdoings known? There is a kind of 'within the law' connotation. I wouldn't call aiden a watchdog at least.

MrAptronym fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 23, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, watchdog organizations tend to observe and report, vigilantes act and punish. I believe officially the line between them is "am I breaking the law to do this."

Put another way, if your dog raises a fuss when intruders approach, it's a watchdog. If it attacks them, it's a guarddog. If it attacks people just walking past on the other side of the street, it's Aiden.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

VoidBurger posted:

We were so close to Bird_Dogs, goddamnit...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Bird_Dog was the Japanese name, it came to America as Doki doki Duck Hunt.

e:Also Whistleblower seems like a good name but it might trigger some people.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You were looking up synonyms for a joke?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

MrAptronym posted:

My name is not actually very apt.

I am afraid Aiden is going to come to this thread and touch us all in a menacing fashion before handing his magic phone over to us.

I know he was right there, but why would you give your magic phone, the only thing that makes you special, to a hacker whom you do not trust? Let alone allow them to install some software onto it. That seems like an all around bad call to me.

If only. :allears:

quick and dirty doodle because I could not stop laughing at the idea of her jumping on the phone after Adian's stunt.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

SystemLogoff posted:

If only. :allears:

quick and dirty doodle because I could not stop laughing at the idea of her jumping on the phone after Adian's stunt.

That is amazing.

I don't care that he totally would have murdered her, this would have been a great ending. Actually, maybe he would just break down and cry after that, and then we could play as her since she seems far better as a character.

This game needs someone to put their foot down and tell Aiden to gently caress off.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

The real question is, what does "Chip Cheezum" say about Chip Cheezum?
He's a chip dipped in nacho cheese, duh.

Edit: wait, no, he's actually some blond dude with glasses! What the hell!?

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 23, 2015

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I've also just thought about what does Aiden use as his online handle? It's never brought up in game because it's not "important" but you'll see as we go on that just about everybody else has a nickname or screenname or whatever they use. Is Aiden just Aiden or is he just "The Vigilante" everywhere he goes?

I just watched the update recently, but this is definitely the first question I wanted to ask. Like, I assume it's probably watch_dog because Aiden's characterization is that level of sufficiently passable.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

HitTheTargets posted:

I just watched the update recently, but this is definitely the first question I wanted to ask. Like, I assume it's probably watch_dog because Aiden's characterization is that level of sufficiently passable.

xXW4TCH_D4WGXx

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Nohman posted:

xXW4TCH_D4WGXx

You don't look like a dog.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

pandaK posted:

We were so close to Bird_Dogs, goddamnit...

I'd prefer Baby_Sitters

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

muike posted:

You were looking up synonyms for a joke?

Yep. Why is that weird?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I respect your devotion to the art.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The thing that cracks me up about the title is that they picked Watch Dogs, or, rather, Watch_Dogs, rather than Watchdogs. Watch Dogs makes it sound like it's a game about watching dogs while Watchdogs would imply a guardian/protector entity.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

VoidBurger posted:

I think it's more that many of those words aren't really synonyms for Vigilante. :colbert:
I mean, Cerberus? Paladin? Chaperone? Baby-sitter?

Just imagine the advertising and NPC dialogue...
"Play as the morally conflicted baby-sitter Aiden Pierce as he struggles to avenge his niece's death!"
"Look, that guy in the mask! It's the chaperone!"

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Patter Song posted:

The thing that cracks me up about the title is that they picked Watch Dogs, or, rather, Watch_Dogs, rather than Watchdogs. Watch Dogs makes it sound like it's a game about watching dogs while Watchdogs would imply a guardian/protector entity.

If you'll do a bit of research, you'll find that prior to the quarter-million rewrites the game went through, watch_dogs was originally intended to be an entry into Ubisoft's critically acclaimed Dogz series.
Uh, I'd take this joke further, but the thought of Aiden Pearce as a pet-sitter is kind of horrifying. :ohdear:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Patter Song posted:

Why is it Watch DOGS, plural, when we only ever play as Aiden since he's apparently that poo poo at trusting his own friends in constantly blowing off the cool guy in the pink suit, and making GBS threads himself with rage when Trusted Friend turns out to be a girl?

Why can't it be The_Watch_Dog that way you have both your lovely username AND an even more terrible game title with double the underscore?

SomeIdiot posted:

If you'll do a bit of research, you'll find that prior to the quarter-million rewrites the game went through, watch_dogs was originally intended to be an entry into Ubisoft's critically acclaimed Dogz series.
Uh, I'd take this joke further, but the thought of Aiden Pearce as a pet-sitter is kind of horrifying. :ohdear:
TARGET NEUTERED

*Kennels exploded, five dogs dead for no reason all around him like a PETA branch's dumpster*

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 23, 2015

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Chaperone instantly sounds like a more compelling protagonist. Like some kind of mysterious Hitman like person, out fightin crime and whatnot.
Basically the opposite of Autism batman.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dreadwroth posted:

The Chaperone instantly sounds like a more compelling protagonist. Like some kind of mysterious Hitman like person, out fightin crime and whatnot.
Basically the opposite of Autism batman.

he's like batman but only for school fieldtrips

john and gary sneak off during the visit to the colonial village and the Chaperone scares them back to the rest of the group.

sandra trips and scrapes her knee but nobody notices and they keep walking. the chaperone appears out of nowhere with a spongebob bandaid and isopropyl alcohol. she winces as the alcohol touches the filthy wound but the chaperone is gone when she looks back. her knee is clean and adorned with sandy cheeks

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Before the rewrite, the game was about canine watchmakers.

"This stadium's too crowded, better use my barkout."
"Badboy's a bitch? That bitch!"

That's all I got.

FinalGamer posted:

*Kennels exploded, five dogs dead for no reason all around him like a PETA branch's dumpster*
That's just preposterous. All of the needlessly killed dogs are cremated before being thrown away.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Who was that mysterious figure that saved the trough of maple syrup-covered snow from tipping over while jack and ronnie were roughhousing?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I would absolutely play an open world game featuring a dog vigilante.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

FinalGamer posted:

Why is it Watch DOGS, plural, when we only ever play as Aiden since he's apparently that poo poo at trusting his own friends in constantly blowing off the cool guy in the pink suit, and making GBS threads himself with rage when Trusted Friend turns out to be a girl?

Why can't it be The_Watch_Dog that way you have both your lovely username AND an even more terrible game title with double the underscore?

DeadSec are the actual watchdogs, warning people about CtOS but not being dicks about it (that I've seen so far, anyway). Aiden's just a guy in a trenchcoat who likes to hurt people, and in the process maybe will end up exposing the truth or something? It wouldn't be the first time a game's been titled about something in it other than the protagonist. Or was Solid Snake a Metal Gear all along? :tinfoil:

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I hope that the Chaperone has a mortality rate similar to Aiden's. John and Gary snuck off, so he scared them back by brutally murdering a police officer. After Sandra tripped and fell, the Chaperone used plastic explosives to destroy the pavement that hurt her, as well as the surrounding three blocks. He could tell with his magic chaperone senses that Bobby had a 62% chance of shoplifting at the aquarium's gift shop, so he beat the poo poo out of him with a telescopic baton.

MrWillsauce fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 23, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FinalGamer posted:

The promotions material heavily implied some sort of co-op or some poo poo, but since they are absolutely incapable of delivering that it changed to some vague reference they shove in the literally last mission of the game. I wish I was joking.

This game makes me say "I wish I was joking" quite a lot.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
dangled over the shark tank, bobby heard only a warning spat out from behind clenched teeth. "no horseplay by the pool"

for a moment everything went black as his body impacted the moist cement floor of the discount aquarium's sad, empty dolphin show room.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Felinoid posted:

DeadSec are the actual watchdogs, warning people about CtOS but not being dicks about it (that I've seen so far, anyway). Aiden's just a guy in a trenchcoat who likes to hurt people, and in the process maybe will end up exposing the truth or something? It wouldn't be the first time a game's been titled about something in it other than the protagonist. Or was Solid Snake a Metal Gear all along? :tinfoil:

From what I gathered from what I've seen from this game, DedSec isn't exactly harmless, they're attacking the ctOS, and the Chicago government is calling them terrorists. So... I don't know. I don't deny that they are the actual watch dogs, though, considering that they're the ones trying to tell people to stay away from the ctOS in the first place. But they do have some dickery in place, I think.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

He became the Chaperone when his niece's teacher Mrs. Sanders briefly lost her at a field trip to a local history museum. Now Mrs. Sanders is tied up in the Chaperone's basement, but no matter how much he tortures her she won't give up who she works for.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I love how Aiden is just running across that thin but real line that separates antihero from villain protagonist. Aiden probably racks up a bigger death toll in a day than ctOS or the "Club" rack up in a week and does it by civilian-heavy things like blowing up water mains and causing huge multi-car traffic accidents.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He's not the Chaperone Chicago needs, he's the Chaperone it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
"The Watchdog" would certainly be an improvement over everyone calling this strange vigilante "The Vigilante". It'd even fit with his random assaults on civilians as him "snapping at the mailman" or whatever.

• Locked thread