Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Fungah! posted:

if you want an actual flaw with XIII's combat, the main character dying being an instant game over is raw dog bullshit

It was equally bullshit in Baldur's Gate, even with story justification. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Overbite posted:

Wasn't 13-3 supposed to come out on Steam? I want to play it but I'm holding off on the PS3 version because it was supposed to be on Steam along with the others.

It was supposed to be out by Spring. Who knows when it'll come out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's still spring for another month.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

if you want an actual flaw with XIII's combat, the main character dying being an instant game over is raw dog bullshit

Yeah that's dumb as hell and probably the only improvement between XIII and XIII-2

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Yeah that's dumb as hell and probably the only improvement between XIII and XIII-2

I kind of like the Bleed status/damage. It was kind of a neat idea. Damage to Max HP is something I don't think I've seen in FF before.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I kind of like the Bleed status/damage. It was kind of a neat idea. Damage to Max HP is something I don't think I've seen in FF before.

Final Fantasy 15. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Disease in XII.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Fungah! posted:

AOE attacks in general felt really annoying too. Even if it's technically like the old games (they either hit or they miss) I feel like they should've been presented differently, like having MISS show up on the character.

edit: The timing for Smite-like attacks was also fimmicky and could've been better too

Momomo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 23, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'll say it: anyone who doesn't figure out that staggering is important by the 5th hour of the game is either being wilfully obtuse or is an actual retard, and of all the possible complaints about XIII, this isn't a valid one.

It's like playing Super Mario Bros. without using the B button to run. Sure you can technically make progress but calling it a flaw in the game that you don't get it is in fact pretty loving stupid. Like, it gives as much emphasis to an enemy staggering as it does to your own party's HP. The final boss can't be hurt without staggering it! Is it FFX's weakness that you don't know how to look at the turn listing?

It's got a 20 hour tutorial that doesn't even present the illusion of agency and is mean as poo poo if you don't play by its rules but I'm not sure how much more it could emphasize Staggering as a core combat mechanic without it blinking in blood red letters all the time in every fight that perhaps you should stagger foes.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I haven't played them since college but X and X-2 had really good combat systems, I thought. X had a lot of clever encounters you couldn't just auto-battle through, and X-2's fights were really, really fun in general.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Momomo posted:

AOE attacks in general felt really annoying too. Even if it's technically like the old games (they either hit or they miss) I feel like they should've been presented differently, like having MISS show up on the character.

edit: The timing for Smite-like attacks was also fimmicky and could've been better too

yeah that was my other problem, aoe attacks nailing you based on character position sucks when you've got no way to control character position. i really like 13's combat otherwise though, it's maybe the best ARPG system i've played

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There is a meter in the top right corner and as it increases you deal proportionally more damage.

Who sees a feature that lets them deal 2, 3 or up to 10 times as much damage as their normal attacks and thinks "that's not important".

FF XIII sucks and I wasn't able to finish it and it's not because I couldn't grasp the combat system it's because of literally any reason except the combat system. There are a dozen other complaints you could make about the game that doesn't make it sound like you put a paper bag over the right side of your television.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I never tried Final Fantasy XIII because I wasn't keen on the idea of spending twenty hours before the game got complex enough for me to even tell if I liked the basic gameplay concept of switching AI patterns around instead of just telling the party members exactly what to do like normal. Also, the idea of a fast-paced menu-driven system is weird to me. Isn't the whole point of menus that it's turn-based so you can take your time making a decision?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Isn't the whole point of menus that it's turn-based so you can take your time making a decision?

Nah. That's one possible benefit to it but there's a reason previous Final Fantasy games had an Active system (even if you could set some to wait.) Menu-based gameplay isn't just about having unlimited time to think.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The trolls in this thread are going to give ImpAtom a conniption

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I didn't think that was a troll. :smith: It seemed like a legitimate question.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
For a menu based game it certainly didn't do a very good job with its menus. You'll be using autobattle almost all the time, and because they tried to make them fancy, the transitions when changing menus takes a bit longer than it really should.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The closest ImpAtom has come to a brain shutdown is with Dark_Tzitzimime. No one else comes close to that level.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't think that was a troll. :smith: It seemed like a legitimate question.

I mean troll in the cosmic sense. You're better than them, and smarter. I've been wanting to ask you about LR combos, a legitimate topic, but it still hasn't come out on steam so I've been holding it back.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mycot posted:

The closest ImpAtom has come to a brain shutdown is with Dark_Tzitzimime. No one else comes close to that level.

That's because he's not a troll, he's completely serious.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Boten Anna posted:

They outright said that the battle and general game mechanics were tacked on after they made a bunch of CG cutscenes for XIII. I can't play any of the XIII games and I am a lifetime Final Fantasy fan because they are not fun at all. You may have enjoyed it anyway, and no judgement, I willingly played XIV 1.0. But they are objectively not very good and poorly designed game mechanics.

As for Theatrythm the first, just ask yourself one simple, honest question: if the music and characters were unfamiliar or a new IP would you have enjoyed it at all?

You should play Lightning Returns.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

There is a meter in the top right corner and as it increases you deal proportionally more damage.

Who sees a feature that lets them deal 2, 3 or up to 10 times as much damage as their normal attacks and thinks "that's not important".

FF XIII sucks and I wasn't able to finish it and it's not because I couldn't grasp the combat system it's because of literally any reason except the combat system. There are a dozen other complaints you could make about the game that doesn't make it sound like you put a paper bag over the right side of your television.

It's a long standing tradition of FF fans to use the most boring, mindless, inefficient strategy wherever possible. And most FF games are easy enough that that strategy works 99% of the time.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That's because he's not a troll, he's completely serious.

I miss the Vita thread before that guy turned it into the senran kagura thread

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I do like how you can tell who the worst people are by the ones who always have to point out that something they don't like is "objectively" bad. It isn't enough to just not like something, nobody else can like it either without being secretly ashamed

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

"This game was bad so I spent 100 hours on it and exhaustively beat every possible thing in it"

Try 25 hours, and I only found that the game started to go super bad for me around 15-17 hours in. I figured that I might as well finish it to see if it gets any better. I didn't even do like, 50% of what the game supposedly offers because it wants people to do multiple runs.

Feel free to continue playing make believe though, it's funny.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm ashamed of disliking Final Fantasy IX.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

FF9 kinda sucks in this gamer's opinion.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

*screen pans around post for 15 seconds*

ff9 is the best, but i can't fault anyone who doesn't like it

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm not, that game is a train wreck.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm pretty proud of myself for disliking Final Fantasy IX

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Final Fantasy IX is great because it pegs the exact moment that Square went creatively bankrupt.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Final Fantasy IX sucks because the battle system is boring.

edit: Objectively boring at that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah square definitely went creatively bankrupt a year or two before providing us with FFX, the final fantasy game with the hottest babes on the planet.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

gigglefeimer posted:

Final Fantasy IX sucks because the battle system is boring.

Final Fantasy IX is actually the best-reviewed Final Fantasy game despite having the lowest sales of a single-player main entry released on a PlayStation system.

Final Fantasy IX largely lacks character customization in favor of learning preset skills from equipment. It's an idiot-proof system, or at least idiot-resistant.

Coincidence? I think not.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Final Fantasy IX is the best reviewed Final Fantasy game because it owns

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Every Final Fantasy game is the best in the series. I'm turning the thread paradigm on it's head

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Why do you like your favorite FF game, FF thread?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

hottest babes on the planet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
FFMQ has the best soundtrack of any FF game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cake Attack posted:

I really like Ivalice one of the few games I've read the lore and background stuff.