Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

ThermoPhysical posted:

My favorite episode has gotta be The Internet. :v: It's wonderful.

The exchange between the elderly floppy disk guy and Darwin and Gumball is one of my favorites. "You're from the future?" "No, the 1980s." "There was a 19?"

Re: fandoms, I avoid or only lightly interact with the fandoms of most of the media I like, because a little spergin' about a show, movie, or book goes a looooooong way. I want to continue to discover and enjoy enjoyable things, without that experience being tainted or influenced by my feelings towards some overzealous 12-year-olds or 30-year-old shut-ins. You can't always judge a book by its fans (especially the most vocal ones).

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

Whats this Stephen Universe thing that's overtaking the forums? I tired the actual show thread but its a bit :stare: so I decided to ask here instead.

It's a more or less standard Cartoon Network children's/family sitcom like Clarence or Gumball with good progressive female characters but like 10% of the time it turns into its alter ego which is yuri/lesbian Dragonball Z fanfiction

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 25, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

like 10% of the time it turns into its alter ego which is yuri/lesbian Dragonball Z fanfiction

I wish this could be the SU thread's title.

VVV: You're bad then! :mad:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 25, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

icantfindaname posted:

It's a more or less standard Cartoon Network children's/family sitcom like Clarence or Gumball with good progressive female characters but like 10% of the time it turns into its alter ego which is yuri/lesbian Dragonball Z fanfiction

so, it's bad then

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What about that doesn't sound amazing

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Toxxupation posted:

so, it's bad then

Sorry bout your bad opinions bro.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

What about that doesn't sound amazing

"ooh it has lesbians!!!" sounds to me like a bunch of goons jerking themselves off over how progressive and enlightened they are over a kid's show as opposed to realizing that lesbians exist literally everywhere and it's weird and creepy to treat people's sexuality like some liberal version of Pokemon

aka the adventure time defense

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Representation in media is important to any group because ti establishes normalcy and also lets people that might feel their alone have some sign that they aren't . It's easy to say "lesbians are literally everywhere" but that's not actually true and it's still something that, for the most part, is pretty much banned from children's television for being inappropriate which is one of those things that must send a great message to any kid growing up realizing that they might be part of that group.

The lesbian aspect of SU isn't major and it's not dwelled upon nor is it presented in a way that demands a pat on the back. It's just sort of there like it's normal, which is just really nice to see. Clarence has the same thing and it's nice there to.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly people are overselling the whole lesbians thing

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Toxx you are hosed up my dude

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Just giving everyone a heads up that the Phineas & Ferb finale leaked.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Honestly people are overselling the whole lesbians thing

Well, yeah. I think in the shows 50+ episodes is comes up in two of them (slightly more if you read Pearl's feeling towards Rose as something more)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

the point you are mistaking, probably intentionally, is that goons sure do love to bring up and talk about lesbian characters esp in fiction under the auspices of "progressiveness" when really what they're doing is 1) fueling a fetish that 2) gives them the moral high ground to make posts about how it's all about the grander representation in media when they couldn't really give less of a poo poo because boy do they love posting about lesbians!!! again, adventure time

reducing a character to their token sexuality is 1) creepy 2) completely missing the overall aims of representation of different sexualities in media and fetishizing only one aspect of a character 3) probably indicative that the character themselves is nothing to write home about outside of some gimmick like their sexuality being not heteronormative

if you were to take the posts in AT or the SU threads and replace the word "lesbian" with the word "black" it'd put a finer point on how the "progressive" tack is really just a way for goons to cloak their obsession with lesbians

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I skimmed that but you are a sad lame man if you think Black DBZ Fanfiction sounds like a bad thing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

frank.club posted:

Toxx you are hosed up my dude

it's hard bein right all the time...:smith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

the point you are mistaking, probably intentionally, is that goons sure do love to bring up and talk about lesbian characters esp in fiction under the auspices of "progressiveness" when really what they're doing is 1) fueling a fetish that 2) gives them the moral high ground to make posts about how it's all about the grander representation in media when they couldn't really give less of a poo poo because boy do they love posting about lesbians!!! again, adventure time

reducing a character to their token sexuality is 1) creepy 2) completely missing the overall aims of representation of different sexualities in media and fetishizing only one aspect of a character 3) probably indicative that the character themselves is nothing to write home about outside of some gimmick like their sexuality being not heteronormative

if you were to take the posts in AT or the SU threads and replace the word "lesbian" with the word "black" it'd put a finer point on how the "progressive" tack is really just a way for goons to cloak their obsession with lesbians

That's an awful lot of words to say "I'm not actually going to watch this but let me poo poo on your opinions of it"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mycot posted:

I skimmed that but you are a sad lame man if you think Black DBZ Fanfiction sounds like a bad thing.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toxxupation posted:

it's hard bein right all the time...:smith:

namaste

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sorry I live in the year 2015 where people are more than the people they like to gently caress!!! maybe you should come over, it's nice to see people as people over a collection of archetypes and fetishes

TwoPair posted:

That's an awful lot of words to say "I'm not actually going to watch this but let me poo poo on your opinions of it"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we're losing him

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TwoPair posted:

Occupation.txt

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toxxupation posted:

Sorry I live in the year 2015 where people are more than the people they like to gently caress!!! maybe you should come over, it's nice to see people as people over a collection of archetypes and fetishes

Toxxupation posted:

that's actually a fair point, it's probably why I was ok with the Pacifica plotline on the whole even though it was executionally pretty shaky, I've literally forgotten they already did an episode showing how she's a decent human being

I guess I'm more frustrated with them setting up a romance angle and therefore changing her character into a saint, I'm fine with the idea of developing a relationship on the show but would've preferred she keep her prickly, rough edges over sanding all of them down and making her into a sweetheart, it removes Pacifica's character texture

E: actually wait you're pretty cool

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

While I do agree that people do make too much of the whole thing, I don't think most are just talking about the characters in terms of the sexuality and that's it. That aspect of SU was only revealed recently and all of the characters were an awesome and overall likable bunch. That whole lesbian thing is minor but it is there but it's also easy to enjoy the show without it.

By the way, I can't speak for everyone but I do actually give a poo poo about representation. I've talked to and read accounts by far too many LBGT people that were desperate to find anyone like them in the media and I am genuinely happy that seems to finally be happening. Entire ways of looking at films exist just to find that aspect where it probably wasn't actually there so I do find it nice for it to actually be there. It's not about lesbians it's just that things like this tend to have an easier time slipping lesbians past the network.

I dunno, it's not like I tend to bring this up on my own. I tend to just respond when people freak the gently caress out about it even being talked about. I mean, yes there are other aspects to talk about and those aspects do get talked about alot. Hell, in something like the AT thread, most of the discussion seemed to more resolve around people trying to deny that this was a thing rather than any actual fetishizing or lingering over the thing. It's just there's still this idea that a heterosexual relationship in a show is normal and fine and anything else is people trying to get their rocks off and I do find that perception genuinely annoying.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's an okay show, not my thing but heck, a lot of things aren't my thing

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

axleblaze posted:

While I do agree that people do make too much of the whole thing, I don't think most are just talking about the characters in terms of the sexuality and that's it. That aspect of SU was only revealed recently and all of the characters were an awesome and overall likable bunch. That whole lesbian thing is minor but it is there but it's also easy to enjoy the show without it.

By the way, I can't speak for everyone but I do actually give a poo poo about representation. I've talked to and read accounts by far too many LBGT people that were desperate to find anyone like them in the media and I am genuinely happy that seems to finally be happening. Entire ways of looking at films exist just to find that aspect where it probably wasn't actually there so I do find it nice for it to actually be there. It's not about lesbians it's just that things like this tend to have an easier time slipping lesbians past the network.

I dunno, it's not like I tend to bring this up on my own. I tend to just respond when people freak the gently caress out about it even being talked about. I mean, yes there are other aspects to talk about and those aspects do get talked about alot. Hell, in something like the AT thread, most of the discussion seemed to more resolve around people trying to deny that this was a thing rather than any actual fetishizing or lingering over the thing. It's just there's still this idea that a heterosexual relationship in a show is normal and fine and anything else is people trying to get their rocks off and I do find that perception genuinely annoying.

you know what this is maybe the first post i've read that doesn't come off as haughty entitled "i'm more enlightened than you" defense of the fact they post about lesbians all the goddamn time, so I'll cede the point

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Clarence has lesbians.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Gaunab posted:

Clarence has lesbians.

They were pretty cool.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

frank.club posted:

we're losing him

I am not sure we ever had him in the first place.

e: no wait, we regained him, false alarm.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Personally, the only thing that really bugs me about Steven Universe are the sort of sexual connotations that the gems fusing has.

Not just because it's a bit risque for a kids' show, but because Steven is 12 and that has some...implications.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
the only change I would make to DBZ is have vegeta rock the 'badman' shirt forever.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

axleblaze posted:

Avoiding a show because of the fandom always seems really dumb to me. It's really easy to just watch the show and ignore the fandom. If you don't like show, it doesn't look appealing to you or you just don't want to take the time to get into it that's reasonable but don't let the only reason you're avoiding be that some people are weird about it,

Normally yes, unless you have a show in which the creators are very much in touch with the fanbase, in which case the fans would leave a more often than not a negative impact on the show. Case in point: Legend of Korra.

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

horriblePencilist posted:

Normally yes, unless you have a show in which the creators are very much in touch with the fanbase, in which case the fans would leave a more often than not a negative impact on the show. Case in point: Legend of Korra.

Just for clarification what are the negative impacts that the fan base had on Korra?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

deadicons posted:

Just for clarification what are the negative impacts that the fan base had on Korra?

its creation, for one

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah Korra was bad from the start

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also every single Spiderhyphenman post which is a crime on the level of a lesser genocide

korra is responsible for so many atrocities

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Counterpoint: Korra is good :unsmigghh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mission Hill happened over 15 years ago, guys. And we didn't have to fish any crypto-lesbian overtones out of that one, either.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Personally, the only thing that really bugs me about Steven Universe are the sort of sexual connotations that the gems fusing has.

Not just because it's a bit risque for a kids' show, but because Steven is 12 and that has some...implications.

A boy on the cusp of manhood can't spend all day whackering.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 26, 2015

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

raditts posted:

A boy on the cusp of manhood can't spend all day whackering.

JFC just let DikeKike write and storyboard an episode already.
I don't care what show it is, just any.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm sorry, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrAristocrates posted:

Counterpoint: Korra is good :unsmigghh:
Countercounterpoint: Korra was both good and bad at points (except for season 2 which was universally godawful sans the Wan 2 parter )