Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

DoggPickle posted:

On a lighter note, I've been binging stargate Atlantis. I know that I watched it when it was on, but my memory of it seems kind of vague and I'm not QUITE done, but it has occurred to me constantly how much they basically completely gently caress up an entire other Galaxy :lol: so the current system is kind of crap, but it's an ecologically stable kind of thing, where the wraith wake up every hundred years and eat some people and go back to sleep, then we go out there, awaken all wraith at once, like thousands of extra humans are getting eaten, then they help perfect a drug that makes people who get eaten kill the wraith, but it kills 50% of the people that take it, so there's like another 100k down.

Then they find and reprogram the Pegasus replicators (who previously didn't do poo poo) to kill wraith but they decide killing their food source is much easier so then there's like another million human down before they fix that one. Then their changing a wraith to human experiment goes wrong and he escapes only to make a bunch of weird monsters who kill a ton of people, THEN he perfects the anti wraith drug so only %30 percent of humans die when they take it and distributes it without their consent. THEN he makes some hybrids out of humans who all die also.

It's just really funny to watch this second time, because the Atlantis team basically destroys an entire galaxy and I'm sure it ends well, it I'm only on half way though season 5, the last season. It's just really hard to justify their interference when they've killed like millions of people lol. Not including some random episodes were different aliens all die. :laffo:

I realize I'm quoting my own post which is sort of silly, but like three episodes after I posted that, they had a literall trial, like on Next Generation, where the inhabitants of Pegasus Galaxy basically said everything I just said, and they got out of it with a small bribe and some :words:, and then there were only 3 episodes left. :lol: and they never really fixed anything except saved the earth at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I finished all the Bones on Netflix. It's kinda funny that they had the storyline they did at the end of Season 9 since I was playing Deus Ex at the same time. I'll probably watch Season 10 when it comes out even though I already know about Sweets dying. I guess now I'll move on to American Dad, since I'm on a 9 season show binge.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

computer parts posted:

I finished all the Bones on Netflix. It's kinda funny that they had the storyline they did at the end of Season 9 since I was playing Deus Ex at the same time. I'll probably watch Season 10 when it comes out even though I already know about Sweets dying. I guess now I'll move on to American Dad, since I'm on a 9 season show binge.

That's not even the one that made me tear up. I think I'm particularly weak against certain music and also what he says when he's dying was just.. Holy heartbreaking

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Like I said i'm watching Bones and Angela is really bringing down the show for me. I didn't mind her at first but she seems to get worse and worse by the episode. I was hoping when Sweets came, being a psychologist, he would hopefully call her on her poo poo but he seems to be treated mostly as a joke so I doubt it at this point.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

No one likes Angela. No one.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Jesus Christ, Bones has 10 seasons? I dropped it not too long after the autistic dude became intern to that serial killer.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Web Therapy has been delightful. Showtime has some really interesting shows. I like that it isn't scripted and brings in so many guest stars.

Been also catching up to this season's Nurse Jackie. I like the show and all in that I want horrible things to happen to Jackie. But holy poo poo what an awful intro. I forgot how bad that intro is.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Slamhound posted:

Jesus Christ, Bones has 10 seasons? I dropped it not too long after the autistic dude became intern to that serial killer.

Season 9 of Bones is the preeminent of example of a show entering middle age.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Marathoned through the first season of Farscape this week, which has been downright fascinating. It started largely hit and miss, with the Pilot and "They've Got A Secret" being the main hits, while the others sort of dwindled. Then around episode 15/"Durka Returns" (which is spoiler tagged for obvious reasons the show hit this AMAZING stride and churned out quality episode after quality episode. I can't believe the show went from pee jokes solving a conflict to something so dark and compelling. Not to mention managing 1) adding new main characters without it seeming forced, 2) handling a pregnancy plot in an actually interesting way that also didn't seem contrived, and 3) complex character analysis and parallels. Even the it was all a dream/fake creation from aliens reveal in "A Human Reaction" episode was great because it was such a fascinating examination of the consequences of Crichton's goals AND had long term affects on the plot.What a great show so far. I'm eager to see where it goes from here and I'm having extreme difficultly even imaging it could become terrible from here on out.

Otherwise, I've also been casually binging a few other shows on-and-off. Mostly Star Trek: Next Generation (which I've never really watched before) and Deadwood. I haven't quite enjoyed them as much as Farscape, but for different reasons. Next Gen doesn't quite have enough serialized stories for me to get too invested, which I should probably stop hoping for in something like, well, Star Trek. Deadwood I adore but need subtitles to watch it, what with everyone talking quickly with accents. Which HBO Go does not provide. I'll probably have to grab a DVD from Netflix to get back into it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

nerdman42 posted:

Otherwise, I've also been casually binging a few other shows on-and-off. Mostly Star Trek: Next Generation (which I've never really watched before) and Deadwood. I haven't quite enjoyed them as much as Farscape, but for different reasons. Next Gen doesn't quite have enough serialized stories for me to get too invested, which I should probably stop hoping for in something like, well, Star Trek. Deadwood I adore but need subtitles to watch it, what with everyone talking quickly with accents. Which HBO Go does not provide. I'll probably have to grab a DVD from Netflix to get back into it.

HBO Go certainly provides subtitles! Or at any rate, it does for me on my ps3, I just hit the triangle button on the controller and it brings them up. I'm the sort of person who just tends to like having captions turned on most of the time and while I generally like netflix's captions the best by far for being the least obtrusive compared to the other clients, hbogo is at least functional.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Deep Space Nine is much better than next generation if you're looking for serialization.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

nerdman42 posted:

Marathoned through the first season of Farscape this week, which has been downright fascinating. It started largely hit and miss, with the Pilot and "They've Got A Secret" being the main hits, while the others sort of dwindled. Then around episode 15/"Durka Returns" (which is spoiler tagged for obvious reasons the show hit this AMAZING stride and churned out quality episode after quality episode. I can't believe the show went from pee jokes solving a conflict to something so dark and compelling. Not to mention managing 1) adding new main characters without it seeming forced, 2) handling a pregnancy plot in an actually interesting way that also didn't seem contrived, and 3) complex character analysis and parallels. Even the it was all a dream/fake creation from aliens reveal in "A Human Reaction" episode was great because it was such a fascinating examination of the consequences of Crichton's goals AND had long term affects on the plot.What a great show so far. I'm eager to see where it goes from here and I'm having extreme difficultly even imaging it could become terrible from here on out.

Glad to hear you're enjoying one Americans trip through Australia's S&M scene. It mostly stays pretty good, with the exception of the very end where they were expecting another season, but got cancelled on a cliffhanger. There's a movie that ties up a bunch of loose ends after the show got cancelled. It's a bit of a mess, but not bad for trying to cram a season into 2 hours.

nerdman42 posted:

Seconding the earlier recommendation. DS9 is a bit of the red headed stepchild of Star Trek by Trekkies, but it's also one of the darkest and most serialized. There are some pretty bad episodes in there, but plenty of goons consider it one of the best of the Treks.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Recently binged on Wolf Hall, a mini-series about Thomas Cromwell during the rise and fall of Anne Boleyn. It's a great show if you're into historical drama. Apparently a tad less great if you're into historical accuracy. Still leagues ahead of The Tudors in that aspect.

The first of six episodes was a bit hard to get through, with flashes back and forth and the main protagonist responding to almost everything with a long silence and vacant stare. But at the end of it I went straight to the next episode none the less.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
How is Tudors on showtime?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I recently binged The Following after running out of stuff to watch. I was surprised how much I really liked the first, and to a lesser degree, second seasons. The third was pretty bad.

e: I also somehow managed to enjoy the first season of Falling Skies despite its flaws, but had to stop watching during the second.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Shadow posted:

Trash. Entertaining, but complete bobbins.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Jon Do posted:

I recently binged The Following after running out of stuff to watch. I was surprised how much I really liked the first, and to a lesser degree, second seasons. The third was pretty bad.

e: I also somehow managed to enjoy the first season of Falling Skies despite its flaws, but had to stop watching during the second.

This is basically the opposite of anything that makes any sense to me, not to say that falling skies is actually"good". I don't want to be a buttface, but I honestly think this is crazy pants talk and I'm confused. Maybe I've subconsciously applied the flaws of the following onto previous seasons, but I'm still drat sure that the following is the dumbest thing ever, right from episode five or six, and then just goes so incredibly bad that it wraps round to hilarious. In contrast, falling skies is just a crappy sci-fi show with horrible writers, with too much drama, and all the wrong people die or live and you just don't care about anyone because they all suck. But at least there are aliens and poo poo. So in this particular fight to the bottom, the following is WAY suckier, by a lot.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Trash. Entertaining, but complete bobbins.

So completely inaccurate and bad storytelling?

But fun because, hey knights and battles and maidens and junk?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's 90% scenes of people talking and dancing at banquets and occasionally someone gets executed. The creator made a much better show called Vikings and it's really fun.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Shadow posted:

It gets a lot of hate here but I enjoyed it. Just don't expect anything remotely historically accurate. It's a fun show if you're into that kind of thing - if you don't like it within the first few episodes though, I'd pass on it. It's more about the "drama" and politics and who is loving/betraying who and why Henry is mad about that than "knights and battles", although there is some of that here and there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Murphy Brownback posted:

It gets a lot of hate here but I enjoyed it. Just don't expect anything remotely historically accurate. It's a fun show if you're into that kind of thing - if you don't like it within the first few episodes though, I'd pass on it. It's more about the "drama" and politics and who is loving/betraying who and why Henry is mad about that than "knights and battles", although there is some of that here and there.

The first season has Sam Neill

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I've seen the first couple of episodes and do seem to enjoy it. The historical inaccuracies make me realize I shouldn't bother worrying about that aspect of the show. But if it's at least fun and enjoyable why not. Plus our favorite GOT queen plays our favorite queen once again.

And same guy who does Vikings? Now that is a great show.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

DoggPickle posted:

So in this particular fight to the bottom, the following is WAY suckier, by a lot.

I took the central conceit of the first part of the Following with a huge grain of salt, and took the entire series as an extreme "what if". Joe has traction with his guards, manages time unsupervised with serial killer fanatics, some of whom have killed themselves... and manipulates them. He's a supervillain in a real life show. It's ridiculous, but I was able to roll with it.

You can definitely poke a lot of holes in Joe Carrol and Ryan Hardy, but there's more there. I wouldn't call it a classic, but Hardy's entire battle with morality in the first season, as well as the way Carroll dismantles it piece by piece... I felt there was something there, flawed as it was. Then they promptly lost it.

A lot of the drama in Falling Skies felt forced; Noah Wyle barely carries it by being an excellent good-guy audience insert. The characters are thin enough that it only carried me through the 'survival' plot of the first season; the second felt more episodic and canned. Also, they lost me with the talking to aliens. I was down with post-apocalypse more than Star Trek alien diplomacy.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Shadow posted:

For what it's worth I enjoy watching period dramas high as gently caress and getting immersed in the mise en scene, and Tudors was real fun in that context.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Wolf Hall covers roughly the same period as early The Tudors. And is infinitely better as a piece of art, in every regard.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Kyle Hyde posted:

For what it's worth I enjoy watching period dramas high as gently caress and getting immersed in the mise en scene, and Tudors was real fun in that context.

That's what I found. Plus decades occur in weeks in the show.

Fun to watch at least!

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

How I Met Your Mother, I saw a few episodes when it had its original run but never got into it. I am thinking of giving Dare Devil a try since I have Netflix

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Ebjan posted:

How I Met Your Mother, I saw a few episodes when it had its original run but never got into it. I am thinking of giving Dare Devil a try since I have Netflix

As a person that suffered through HIMYM to the bitter end; I recommend you cut your losses now, read up on who the mother is and then promptly forget about continuing on. It'll save you valuable time that you'll never get back.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
My folks and I are watching Justified---we're almost done with the second season. It's been pretty good so far.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Binging Parks and Recreation is really hard. I keep rewatching the best bits and each episode just makes that process longer.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

CeeJee posted:

Binging Parks and Recreation is really hard. I keep rewatching the best bits and each episode just makes that process longer.
Just keep going as long as you like, even the worst part (the last 25% of s5 to around the first 25% of s6) are still very solid; the s6 finale is really great and s7 is like a victory lap. Threat Yoself

Zedd fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 27, 2015

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I've been on a Mad Men tear the past few weeks. Halfway into season 5 right now. It started out fairly slow and impossible to binge, in my opinion but it really improved by season 4. When the show is good (The Suitcase, Mystery Date), it is incredible.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

nerdman42 posted:

Next Gen doesn't really get good until Season 3, but then it quickly establishes itself. It doesn't have a lot of serialization, true, but there are plot/character threads that weave through the seasons. It's nothing like DS9, though.

I wouldn't recommend Voyager - it's basically TNG without any nuance or attempt to make sense. All sizzle, no steak. Enterprise - it gets poo poo on a lot, and yes, the theme song is horrible, but it's really not that bad, has a lot of serialized elements, and even gets pretty drat good by season 4. The last episode will leave a bad taste in your mouth, though.

Farscape is a a better show then all of them.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Farscape is amazing and should be watched by anybody who enjoys serialized sci-fi shows. And I have to echo that Enterprise really picked up in the last two seasons once they moved past the 9/11 parables and ARE TROOPS bullcrap.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Riosan posted:

I've been on a Mad Men tear the past few weeks. Halfway into season 5 right now. It started out fairly slow and impossible to binge, in my opinion but it really improved by season 4. When the show is good (The Suitcase, Mystery Date), it is incredible.

Counter-point: you don't see Hildy again after season 3.

Not that I don't agree it becomes an overall better show from season 4 onwards. I just miss Hildy.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I just watched the Continuum s3 finale. Mother of God.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Kyle Hyde posted:

I dunno if it makes me girly or just interested in cool costumes and sets that are not "poo poo I see everyday" but pretty much anything with good costumes and period sets get a bonus half-star from me for basically no reason :lol:

I've also started watching Justified because of you guys, and I'm at season 1.5ish and it's really fun but I have wished AVA total death since episode one. OMG she's white trash hot. YAY. No spoilers please =D

If you like Farscape, I'm proposing that the Farscapyness of Defiance if what makes it awesome, and you might like Defiance.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bown posted:

Counter-point: you don't see Hildy again after season 3.

Not that I don't agree it becomes an overall better show from season 4 onwards. I just miss Hildy.

Who's Hildy?

I miss Sal :smith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Who's Hildy?

I miss Sal :smith:

Hilton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

DoggPickle posted:

I've also started watching Justified because of you guys, and I'm at season 1.5ish and it's really fun but I have wished AVA total death since episode one. OMG she's white trash hot. YAY. No spoilers please =D

I never thought she was hot in any way shape or form. I think, in the show's whole "western" thing, she's the last southern belle, with all the 'southern hospitality' style formality. Which makes her the leading lady. In this way, that she's dirty white trash but sticks to the "old code"; particularly while remaining willing to use violence, if she deems it necessary... she was Rayland's counterpart from the first episode.

e: winona and rachel can get it tho

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 28, 2015