Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

adol's greatest adventure yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im hoping he'll sort things out on his own because if i load a save i lose out on an hour of killing random things on the plains trying to figure out where the hell i'm supposed to go

im not sure i'm crazy about naphishtim

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

update: I fell down but now i'm stuck in the area underneath the staircase

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

turns out i'd saved right before entering the town, which goes against my usual habit of never saving when i need to

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you saw five new posts in the falcom thread and figured maybe a release date for sc was announced, i'm sorry, it was just me, Cake Attack

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Cake Attack posted:

ark of napishtim is a pretty bad game but it's not xseed's fault, to some extent they've even tried to make it more playable. the dungeons suck the bosses suck the weapons suck the story sucks they brought back every character you didn't like from earlier ys games and then to make the game relevant they broke the series' overarching plot and are still trying to fix it in remakes and new entries.

also the loving grind

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cake Attack posted:

if you saw five new posts in the falcom thread and figured maybe a release date for sc was announced, i'm sorry, it was just me, Cake Attack

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I saw 6 posts and I thought something had happened. You got me good Cake Attack.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Cake Attack posted:

I've 100% completed Oath and Origin. I don't think I can bring myself to finish a single playthrough of Napishtim. It's bad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I saw 6 posts and I thought something had happened. You got me good Cake Attack.

when it finally is announced i will make much more than 5 consecutive posts. when you see 20 new posts and i'm the most recent one, that's the ticket.

the best i can offer you to make up for this is this:

they are apparently confident enough in summer 2015 to put it down as that while still putting down other games as just a generic 2015. so my money's on february 2016

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
The fact that none of those titles are Xanadu Next or the Zwei!! series makes me sad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm going to win the lottery and then send xseed a big check so they can localize every falcom game, you can thank me in advance

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'll also fund Zero Escape 3

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Buy the rights to Shadow Hearts while you're at it.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Cake Attack posted:

I'm going to win the lottery and then send xseed a big check so they can localize every falcom game, you can thank me in advance

godspeed

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I played a bit of Ys 7. So far I really don't appreciate how rolling is faster than walking because I'm obliged to mash the roll button wherever I go. And I just got my first sidequest from a random unmarked NPC I decided to talk to on a whim and was told it was quest number 3 which means I already missed 2. I'm getting Tales flashbacks.

First boss was the first time I didn't die on the first try to an Ys first boss though (I can't figure out how to put less firsts into this sentence, help). I barely survived with 1 character and a sliver of health so well done on the game balance at least.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If I had to narrow down one reason why Celceta is much better than 7, it's because it has the dash boots and 7 does not.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If I had to narrow down one reason why Celceta is much better than 7, it's because it has the dash boots and 7 does not.

The dash boots are pretty much the best thing that Celceta introduced, so yeah probably.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Cake Attack posted:

I hope you win the lottery, Cake Attack.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
So I am getting ready for my next SMS review for my long project to review all US SMS games over at http://masterratings.blogspot.com/ (Ys review will probably be up next week some time. Most of it will basically say PLAY PSP/STEAM VERSION OVER THIS GRINDY rear end VERSION. Because the SMS port isn't really the best one to play and I even had issues with it in 91-92 when I bought and completed it. I've given the TG and PSP a quick short run through the wizard boss for comparison and well.. yeah. DO NOT PLAY SMS PORT UNLESS YOU LIKE GRINDING.)

And I notice this thread, RPGCodex's Y's thread, and decide I ought to see how many known Falcom games I physically own.

I have a lot. I had the TG Dragon Slayer CD game but I traded it off back when nobody gave a drat about the Turbo in like 96-97 for Might and Magic 3 which is also now worth a gently caress load of money because the TG/PCE market has gone Full Retard for reasons I still don't understand. Sadly my copy of Sorcerian has bad disks now but for some reason 3.5 disks and drives are the most fragile goddamned things ever. Yet 5 1/4 disks rock on mightily in spite of being much older and used far more often. (I suppose I can rationalize the MSX2 Sorcerian translation port? If its anything like Thexder 2: Firehawk, the MSX2 version is the best looking and playing one out there.

So besides said Turbo CD I completed back in the day, Faxanadu, and Legacy of the Wizard, what US released Falcom games with physical releases am I missing and which ones do I actually want should I be silly enough to build this collection further just to have yet another collection niche to chase pointlessly and never catch? I mean I already have Ultima/Origin Systems, Batman, Hobby Games Gone Electronic, and Alien/Predator franchise so why not have another one to fail to complete because I am cheap, lazy, and easily distracted?

I mean I bought Celceta there and I don't even have a Vita yet. But yes this is a good thread I should check on more often.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

toddy. posted:

ark of napishtim is a pretty bad game but it's not xseed's fault, to some extent they've even tried to make it more playable. the dungeons suck the bosses suck the weapons suck the story sucks they brought back every character you didn't like from earlier ys games and then to make the game relevant they broke the series' overarching plot and are still trying to fix it in remakes and new entries.

also the loving grind

I never had a problem with any of these things in the Steam version of the game. The only things I didn't like were dashjumping and the magic system being a "limit-break" style of maneuver rather than another choice of attacking, a la Felghana/Origin. To each his own, though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Seems like Xseed is really going to skip to Sen no Kiseki:

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-listed-game-spain

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ao no Kiseki seems hella cool, but any other game in the series at all is still far more than i was expecting.

i'm surprised they're seemingly skipping the Third though, it isn't nearly as hard of a sell as the crossbell arc.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What's the trick to dodging Dalles' ice move without the wind magic? Keep getting hit by it in his second phase because of the shield gimmick.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Justin_Brett posted:

What's the trick to dodging Dalles' ice move without the wind magic? Keep getting hit by it in his second phase because of the shield gimmick.

Jump at the very last second.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh look i messed up the jump lunge, fell, and now all the enemies have respawned, again

also should i get the 300 dollar trails in the sky evo limited box set, y/n

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No, Cake Attack, no.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you're right, i should get the 400 dollar imitation orbment watch instead, thanks for the advice

http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/reserve3/index.html

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hell yeah

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Why does Falcom love "Run away from circle that teleports you into insta-death attack" for their final bosses so much.

I wish his first phase was actually interesting. Or his second and third, really.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 2, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a weird tweet from Xseed, or?...

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/606637083285966848

apparently the kanji for Sen (as in Sen no Kiseki) is what's on the note on the table

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also Trails in the Sky if 50% off on GOG

http://www.gog.com/game/the_legend_of_heroes_trails_in_the_sky

Wow! What a deal!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Also Trails in the Sky if 50% off on GOG

http://www.gog.com/game/the_legend_of_heroes_trails_in_the_sky

Wow! What a deal!

Well, I guess I need find people who haven't played Trails now.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Looks like XSEED have confirmed Sen no Kiseki I and II. Fall 2015, apparently.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So we're basically skipping the two games in the middle between Sky and Cold Steel? How weird will that wind up being, story-wise? Assuming they're mostly stand-alone.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

So we're basically skipping the two games in the middle between Sky and Cold Steel? How weird will that wind up being, story-wise? Assuming they're mostly stand-alone.

Three, right? Trails the 3rd, Ao and Zero?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cold Steel takes place somewhat concurrently with the skipped Crossbell arc, following the erebonian perspective rather than the crossbell perspective.

so it'll get weird, since the game kinda expects you to know what went down in Zero/Ao. if i remember right, in Sen no Kiseki II the main character of Zero/Ao is actually a boss fight at one point (not really a big spoiler)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That release date basically confirms that Sky SC will be out in the next two months, right? Would they release Cold Steel first?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

That release date basically confirms that Sky SC will be out in the next two months, right? Would they release Cold Steel first?

Maybe it will release during or shortly after E3.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

as of right now, Sky SC is announced for Summer and Cold Steel for fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

anyway, while i'm not a huge fan of the guy who does Falcom's art right now, his olivier is dreamy as hell

• Locked thread