Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Yagyumi posted:

So Black Flag is a better Assassin's game overall than The Adventures of Ezio: Part III is what you're saying? :smugdog:

Cool, I still haven't gone round to playing an Assassin's game since AC3, so I really should give Black Flag a try.

Black Flag is probably the best AC game period. Rogue's also pretty good, but the main plot is really drat short. It really just shows that when Ubisoft has time to work with an engine for more than one game they can polish the poo poo out of though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
To be sure, Revelations remains my favorite AC so far, but that's only personal preference. If I had to be absolutely objective about it, Black Flag would be the far and away the winner.

It's not without its share of questionable design decisions (so many Animus Fragments and chests on tiny islands in the middle of nowhere), but the main story is so strong and there's so much to do in the game, that there's really very little comparison in the rest of the series. It is certainly true that the game is a huge breath of fresh air after III, and I say that as someone who did not hate ACIII as much as most folks. Just the fact that it takes a good 4-5 hours in III to get out of tutorial land in III, and like an hour tops in Black Flag to get the Jackdaw and get into the world is the most telling difference, I think.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VII: A Pirate's Life

Click picture or link for video
No commentary over cutscenes

Whereupon Edward Kenway continues his life as a pirate and encounters both the dangers and opportunities of his life of brigandage. Sailing the seas again with a trustworthy duo.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 6, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It makes perfect sense that every notable historical figure in the game world knows who the Templars are. Considering the dev team, I mean.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Apologies for the wait. Big move and all. Anyway...

Part VIII: Sharp as a Musket Ball

Whereupon our captain takes it upon himself to raid the island of Great Inagua to recover El Arco del Maestro, the Spanish Galleon that set upon Charles Vane previous. Raiding with the captain is a Dark and Stormy Night.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part IX: Home on the Water

Whereupon Edward Kenway discovers the secrets of his new home on Great Inagua and is prompted by the mysterious James Kidd to come to Mexico on some new adventure. Sailing with me is a reliable old sea dog.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part X: The Assassins...

Whereupon our Welsh brigand hero finds there is much more in the world than he previously believed, thereupon shown by James Kidd in Tulum, Mexico, that the Sage is more important than he could have guessed. Sailing with me today is SubponticatePoster.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Hello! I've been following your LP since the beginning and I'm really liking the game, but things have gotten to the point where I need to say: That one commentator is way too loud. The guy who was yelling about the special ax kill and (especially) shouted "Abstergo is idiots" needs his levels checked, because I can't hear the other commentators and I can't turn my volume up because any time he uses emphasis, I go deaf. Also I think he's the one I hear breathing sometimes. :\

Anyway, the last Assassin Screed I played was III (ick) so it's nice to see a fresh twist on the framing narrative.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I would like to say about fleet management: There's a very good reason to keep ships in every class in your fleet. First, smaller ships will do missions more quickly. This doesn't matter so much when the mission time is 5 minutes, but when you get those missions that are 24-36 hours, it can become really big. Usually missions with larger cargo requirements pay better, but that isn't always the case. Sometimes you'll get really profitable missions that only require 10 or 15 tons of cargo but still have huge time costs, and using smaller ships can shave many hours off the mission timer. Typically I'll keep 2 Scooners, 3 Brigs, ad then 5 Frigates and 5 Galleons.

The other reason to do it is because smaller ships fire faster. You might have noticed that when you were using Frigates to fight Gunboats, they took one or two hits each time before they destroyed them. A Schooner can also sink a Gunboat in one volley, but can almost always fire first if you have it in the 'increased speed' section of your fleet. As you pointed out, gems are basically worthless once you get going because of how many you'll get capturing and selling off ships, but still. A Schooner can sink a gunboat in one volley, and a Brig can sink a Schooner in one volley. A Frigate can not sink a Brig in one volley, but a Galleon will sink both Brigs and Frigates in one.

This does depend on the level of the ship, though. Higher level ships have better stats, and I decked my fleet out in the highest level ships of each class, so I don't know if this holds true for the lower level ones.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Espresso Steampunk posted:

Hello! I've been following your LP since the beginning and I'm really liking the game, but things have gotten to the point where I need to say: That one commentator is way too loud. The guy who was yelling about the special ax kill and (especially) shouted "Abstergo is idiots" needs his levels checked, because I can't hear the other commentators and I can't turn my volume up because any time he uses emphasis, I go deaf. Also I think he's the one I hear breathing sometimes. :\

Anyway, the last Assassin Screed I played was III (ick) so it's nice to see a fresh twist on the framing narrative.

Subponticate Poster was pretty loud in this last one also, but she tends to be pretty quiet in her DA:I LP. But yeah, the usual co-commentator is way too loud, to the point of barely being able to hear Sylphid and the game itself, if you don't want to be deafened when he spergs out about something.

Other than needing some work on audio levels, its a great LP.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, I'll certainly keep that in mind about the audio levels.

But, in other news in lieu of actual updates (we've recorded up to Part 12, but there is much to be done before I upload that), I do have some news. Few days ago I miraculously got an offer for an ESL teaching position in Yokohama, Japan. The whole thing really came out of left field for me (I went from applying to hired in 8 days. It's gonna be tough to beat that record), but the only bad side of it is that my supervisor is going to want me at the school and kinda settled in by June 8th, so there's really very little time before I'm going overseas again. Still, this is not something I can pass up lightly. I just kind of wish the timing was a little nicer, but it was early June or bust.

I guess this will be one of those rare LPs that are produced under three flags. Considering I'm up to Part 30 right now, and I still have 4-5 main game videos to go (not counting Freedom Cry or Aveline's missions), there's simply no way I can complete this before then.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Congratulations, you're gonna have a great time!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Sylphid posted:

Well, I'll certainly keep that in mind about the audio levels.

But, in other news in lieu of actual updates (we've recorded up to Part 12, but there is much to be done before I upload that), I do have some news. Few days ago I miraculously got an offer for an ESL teaching position in Yokohama, Japan. The whole thing really came out of left field for me (I went from applying to hired in 8 days. It's gonna be tough to beat that record), but the only bad side of it is that my supervisor is going to want me at the school and kinda settled in by June 8th, so there's really very little time before I'm going overseas again. Still, this is not something I can pass up lightly. I just kind of wish the timing was a little nicer, but it was early June or bust.

I guess this will be one of those rare LPs that are produced under three flags. Considering I'm up to Part 30 right now, and I still have 4-5 main game videos to go (not counting Freedom Cry or Aveline's missions), there's simply no way I can complete this before then.

Real life trumps doing videos of video games for people on the internet.

Also, congrats.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Before I post the next update, I wanted to run a quick check with the audio levels. If this doesn't pass, I'll go back to the drawing board.

Testing audio levels

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Watched about 5 minutes, and Subponticate seems to be roughly the same level as the game, maybe a touch higher. So about half to a third of your volume. Like I said, in Update X Subponticate had roughly equal levels as you do.

For the non-Subponticate videos, your co-commentator will spike to well over your volume.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Congrats on the job (and blitzing the hiring process), that is cool on so many levels!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XI: Forsaken

Whereupon Edward Kenway is confronted with the results of his blunders in Havana, thereupon expelled by Ah Tabai for his crimes against the Assassins. SubponticatePoster takes the helm this time around.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 5, 2015

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Hey, great job so far, the last two parts where around where I was at before I had to leave my PS4 with my brother, so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Volume is getting there, although there were times in the latest video where your volume would dip super low while you were talking, just thought you ought to know

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XII: Business As Usual

Whereupon Edward Kenway takes his exile from Tulum in high spirits, pillaging and plundering along the coast of Cuba and assorted other locales in the West Indies. Featuring a dashing couple of rogues along with me.

Also, even though I didn't realize it at the time, Cumberland Bay is perhaps better known as Guantanamo Bay. Strangely enough, even though the Spanish controlled all of Cuba at this time in history, British soldiers did take this small part of Cuba in the War of Jenkins' Ear which quite possibly is the best name for a war that I can think of. The British briefly renamed this place Cumberland Bay, which is apparently why it has that name in-game, but attached to the place 30 years before the events happened. Anyway, enjoy a lovely tour of Guantanamo.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIII: Traveling Man

Whereupon Edward Kenway, notorious brigand and all-around menace to the trade of the West Indies, continues his journey of charting and bringing menace to many islands. Sailing with me is sailors' choice of Tequila.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIV: Hostile Takeover

Whereupon Edward Kenway takes it upon himself to seize various forts for the black flag in the West Indies, and makes himself a deal with the Templar Laureano Torres. With a sailor too sloshed to think of a clever name.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XV: The Price of People

Whereupon Edward Kenway has cause to make landfall in Kingston, Jamaica, and has an unexpected run-in with the Assassin James Kidd. The lass SubponticatePoster is along with me this time.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Larboard was an early version of port.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Larboard was an early version of port.

Well well. Creed continues to surprise me in the weirdest ways.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVI: Men Overboard

Whereupon Edward Kenway moves to seize the Sage from the clutches of the slaver Laurens Prins, but runs into more than a few surprises on the way. Stalking the bushes with me is SubponticatePoster.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mary Read was an actually female pirate (and former member of both the English and Dutch armies) who posed as a man, although her real alias was Mark Read.

Anto mentions Maroons, who were African slaves who escaped and began living with indigenous peoples in the West Indies.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Quick update on my situation. In 24 hours, I'll be on a plane headed on a long, long flight to Japan (about 36 hours total transit from Kansas City to Tokyo), so even though 17 and 18 have been recorded, it might quite a while until I can get new videos done.

17 in particular turned into a disaster because of microphone problems on my end (that turned out to be the fault of the incredibly noisy air conditioner in this house), where I had to do three recordings for something to finally take and be of acceptable posting quality. So, you will have to forgive me if it takes a while to kind of get back on track after I begin the move.

Life before LPs and all, but just thought everyone following the thread should know what's up.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVII: Edward Kenway Around the World

Whereupon Edward Kenway embarks on even more villainy and brigandage in the Caribbean, unfettered by restrains or scruples. Thereupon, he decides to embark on a new course for Nassau in light of a surprising message from the British. SubponticatePoster sails with me this night.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVIII: Blackbeard's Wrath

Whereupon Edward Kenway, upon meeting with old friends Edward Thatch and Stede Bonnet, plunges into the depths to find medicine for the miserable denizens of Nassua. Meanwhile Thatch continues his reign of terror over the British Empire in the West Indies. SubponticatePoster joins me as we go into the deep.

Also, just a note about the videos. This whole Japan adventure has been pretty miserably stressful so far, and I decided a couple weeks ago I'd leave soon. So, I find myself with an incredible lack of energy on my part on the weekdays. I still have Part 19 to post, but ones other than that will probably be recorded back in America. Terrible timing on my part combined with a stressful job. Oh well. Rarely things work out the way you want or even expect, I've found.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIX: Moonless Night

Whereupon the infamous pirate Blackbeard enlists the help of Edward Kenway in exacting his wrath upon the settlement of Charles Town to acquire medicine for the scurvy dogs of Nassau. Sailing with me this dark night is our trusty first mate.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was actually a pretty impressive mission. Listening long enough to work out where the key was and then going for it, and also stealthing it through the loving Everglades or something. Nice atmosphere, nice execution on your part, loading saves notwithstanding.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XX - Deal With the Devil

Whereupon the British Empire returns to claim Nassau and offers a deal most tempting to some of the leaders of the pirate republic, causing schism between Kenway and his old friend Horingold. With SubponticatePoster this night.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The number puzzles seem like they're just multiplicative (2 x 5 x 7 = 70).

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXI: Breaking the Line

Whereupon Captain Edward Kenway arranges for the death of the Commodore in retaliation for his attitude against the Nassau pirates and breaks the British blockade of the pirate republic. With his dream ruined, Kenway takes to the seas once again. With first mate Toffile aka that guy.

Much Rogue chat in this video, since I've been playing it a lot lately. This is also the third time I've recorded this video. First part my audio was really bad, second time Toffile was watching the wrong video (part 22), and then this time.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXII: Into the Night

Whereupon Edward Kenway commits more acts of wanton brigandage around the West Indies before heading north to have a fateful encounter with his old friend Edward Thatch. Joining me is mercenary leader Venom "Punished" Snake and SubponticatePoster for the last 10

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 13, 2015

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

quote:

That one commentator is way too loud. The guy who was yelling about the special ax kill and (especially) shouted "Abstergo is idiots" needs his levels checked, because I can't hear the other commentators and I can't turn my volume up because any time he uses emphasis, I go deaf.

Unfortunately, this issue appears to return in the most recent videos. Game audio and two commentators, all line up just fine. Third commentator spikes the audio to absurd levels. Does the audio software you are using to capture the audio not show you the waveforms or provide any sort of compression/limiting feature?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Just a heads up: I haven't forgotten about this, not at all, but there is something seriously wrong with my computer's mic and any other mic I plug into this thing where I can't record myself at all. Windows 10 has been screwing around with my sound system, and nothing I can do from my end can seem to fix it. I'm working on getting it fixed (I'll get in touch with Lenovo ASAP, but the past few days have not been good for free time) so I ask for your patience. It isn't any less annoying on my end.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Sylphid posted:

Just a heads up: I haven't forgotten about this, not at all, but there is something seriously wrong with my computer's mic and any other mic I plug into this thing where I can't record myself at all. Windows 10 has been screwing around with my sound system, and nothing I can do from my end can seem to fix it. I'm working on getting it fixed (I'll get in touch with Lenovo ASAP, but the past few days have not been good for free time) so I ask for your patience. It isn't any less annoying on my end.

The LP curse claims another victim.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXIII: Jungle Man

Whereupon the notorious Edward Kenway assuages himself for his friend's death by climbing in the trees and hunting small animals.

And we're back! You can blame Windows 10 for my audio troubles, but here we go. SubponticatePoster is a good sport and a good person and rides along with me tonight.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXIV: Boarding Parties

Whereupon Edward Kenway, notorious pirate of the West Indies and marauder of the seas, continues his assistance toward the hapless Milos van der Graff, who continues to find himself in great spots of trouble through no fault of his own, but mysterious circumstances which require the deaths of many Spaniards and Britons. With me is the familiar rapscallion.

• Locked thread