Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

theDOWmustflow posted:

Is there a primary religious pantheon that most everyone follows or is familiar with?

Is the Eternal Fire part of this pantheon? Is the Eternal Fire a diety or is it literally fire worship?

Someone who's read the books might have more info but my takeaway from the first two games was that Melitele and the Eternal Fire were the main religions in the North. Both seem to be pretty "distant" in that you don't see their priests slinging divine magic or performing miracles or anything really. There's also a lot of folk religion, worshiping powerful monsters like the crones or other spirits of the land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Ravenfood posted:

One of my few upgrades bombs is dancing star which I feel bad about because Igni. Oh well. Is there a gas-cloud one like in W2? Being able to burn those loving drowners and then toss gas on them from a distance seems really useful.

Here's my gripe with that fire dust cloud bomb. The premise is simple enough, lob the grenade which creates an inflammable cloud, then set the cloud on fire for a wombo combo. But when I toss the grenade into a bunch of enemies, they start running towards me, and by the time I can igni the could they aren't in the cloud anymore. And the cloud dissipates way too soon, by the time I corralled half of them back into the cloud, the cloud was gone.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Solartide posted:

Here's my gripe with that fire dust cloud bomb. The premise is simple enough, lob the grenade which creates an inflammable cloud, then set the cloud on fire for a wombo combo. But when I toss the grenade into a bunch of enemies, they start running towards me, and by the time I can igni the could they aren't in the cloud anymore. And the cloud dissipates way too soon, but the time I corralled half of them back into the cloud, the cloud was gone.

Try tossing it at a camp fire.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Solartide posted:

Here's my gripe with that fire dust cloud bomb. The premise is simple enough, lob the grenade which creates an inflammable cloud, then set the cloud on fire for a wombo combo. But when I toss the grenade into a bunch of enemies, they start running towards me, and by the time I can igni the could they aren't in the cloud anymore. And the cloud dissipates way too soon, but the time I corralled half of them back into the cloud, the cloud was gone.
Yeah, that's why I was thinking to light them on fire with Igni, wait until they're burning, then toss the cloud on them to make it explode. If the "burning" effect triggers it, at least. Then you know they're stuck in the cloud, since they're already on fire, "burning" makes them stop, and the cloud is appearing on top of them.

e: vvvv Because you can stunlock them, sure, or explode them all at once. If there's a horde of drowners and three of them are on fire, I might just want to kill them now instead of kiting them around spamming Igni.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 26, 2015

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Broken Cog posted:

Try tossing it at a camp fire.

And that brings up the second point about bombs. I really liked bombs in witcher 2, you saw the arc and landing spot highlighted when you cook the bomb. But in witcher 3 you just get a dot. I'm missing half my bombs. And one time I thought I would just quick toss it instead of aiming, I guess the game didn't register me as being in combat so I just threw it at the wall next to me instead of the enemy.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, that's why I was thinking to light them on fire with Igni, wait until they're burning, then toss the cloud on them to make it explode. If the "burning" effect triggers it, at least. Then you know they're stuck in the cloud, since they're already on fire, "burning" makes them stop, and the cloud is appearing on top of them.

And here's the thing with that, Igni has a 100% chance to burn for me right now, which also means they're stunned for 5 seconds or so. Why waste a bomb that I'll need to refill for later when I can just stunlock them with igni?

I used bombs all the time in witcher 2, bombs in 3 I've just been using to blow up nests.

Solartide fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 26, 2015

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ravenfood posted:

e: Is it moon dust or dimitrium bombs that stop werewolf regen?

Moon Dust, it works on the ghosts that regenerate too.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So should I just bee line to the garrison at the beginning to unlock the herbalist or is that a bad idea? I went there last time after doing almost everything I could but decided to restart on death march because I finally got a hang of the combat. I still have not left white orchard yet.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Do you guys loot every house you come across or are you slightly more honorable than a roadside bandit

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

turtlecrunch posted:

Do you guys loot every house you come across or are you slightly more honorable than a roadside bandit

I used to, for crafting mats, but now that I got 12k gold and such, I don't loot much of anything, too much of a hassle to unload on a fence.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hav posted:

But the trains are running on time.

This comparison works if one regime is lovely and the other isn't. If both are equally bad the one where at least "trains run on time" is the lesser of two evils though.

turtlecrunch posted:

I got beat up and robbed for doing this once, been hesitant since.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

You can if you want but there doesn't seem to be much point. Mostly you will get low and occasionally mid-tier crafting materials and food, junk. There are so many peasant hovels in this game and you find a ton of crafting stuff from killing bandits and the like it's really not worth the effort.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Radovid sucks flaccid cock.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Just got 3 fur scraps as a reward after beating a random merchant in gwent. Guess that means I'm done with gwent in Velen!

Gwent indeed gets much easier fairly soon, at the beginning I just hit every merchant and innkeeper to buy all the cards I could, then started playing everyone and did the quests as well. At first it requires a bit of luck with spies & decoys, then you get some hero cards and such from the quests and boom.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Did you or did you not ask why everyone hates the Nilfgaardians??

And no, I didn't imply any such thing. You are being intentionally obstinate.

maybe theyre just people and not "bad" or "good"... woah.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Verranicus posted:

Poor Kalkstein, he was a pretty cool guy

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah, I dunno how anyone can play through NML and not come away hating both armies. Read some of the notices posted on the hanging people, the Nilfgaardians aren't exactly progressive. (btw they practice slavery) (also everyone is starving because one army or another stole all the food) (also unprovoked war of conquest)

Well it's kinda easy to see why people can put up with the black ones and not the North, A) The Emperor seems a relatively enjoyable character at the head of it all as opposed to loving Radovid who for 2 games has been an rear end in a top hat and B) Nifgard is order, the Nilfguardians you meet tend to be reasonable people and the Northern soldiers you meet are A) Bandits B) Bandits pretending not to be bandits C) Working for Previously mentioned easy to hate Radovid.

From My exploring of NML I read the thing about the forced labor camps in notes pinned to trees I could have missed but I actually remember more clearly the Prologue spoilers "Merchant" who attacked a medical caravan or the 27 or so camps of Northern deserters I had to stab because they wanted to stab me on site (I've seen 2-3 camps of explicitly Nilfguardian deserters so far).

Also as an aside as much as i'd like to flip everyone the bird and say gently caress all y'all A) When it comes up it involves actively not engaging with content in the game which seems counter productive and B) as People point out R.E. Witcher 2 not engaging does not mean bad poo poo won't happen.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

Poor Kalkstein, he was a pretty cool guy

He went out like a loving boss though.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
Is there a known bug in getting the Viper gear? I need to get in the door under the chapel but the door is stuck fast and using Aard isn't working either.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
This thread is full of neocons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Verranicus posted:

That part kinda bummed me out and made me laugh at the same time. Good old Kalkstein :unsmith:

Speaking of Novigrad and that whole thing, is there some way to extract the song that Cantarella sings in that inn during the Broken Flowers quest as a sound file or something? The official soundtrack doesn't seem to have it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mr_Wolf posted:

Is there a known bug in getting the Viper gear? I need to get in the door under the chapel but the door is stuck fast and using Aard isn't working either.

Yes there is. If you can't get it don't worry too much about it. You'll grow out of those swords fast.

Orv
May 4, 2011

No man, don't you get it, slavery is totally fine. :stare:

Seriously though, let's not get outside the actual purview of the game and into D&D-lite poo poo here, please.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I'll edit what I asked before since I think it got lost at the bottom of the page. Is there any con to just heading over to the garrison to unlock the herbalist quickly? I went there last time after doing almost everything I could but decided to restart on death march because I finally got a hang of the combat. I still have not left white orchard yet.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Wild at Heart: What did people choose? I ended up killing the werewolf because while Margrit is crazy as poo poo, she doesn't actually turn into a giant ravenous wolfthing every so often. His system might work for a while, but that's still a huge risk for the village. Anyone want to tell me why I'm a terrible person?

e: Or was it not a choice and the the werewolf dies either way?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 26, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ravenfood posted:

Wild at Heart: What did people choose? I ended up killing the werewolf because while Margrit is crazy as poo poo, she doesn't actually turn into a giant ravenous wolfthing every so often. His system might work for a while, but that's still a huge risk for the village. Anyone want to tell me why I'm a terrible person?

I did the same, but was hoping there'd be some opportunity to be all "Hey, just because I didn't let this monster kill you doesn't mean you're not the worst person ever".

However, you're still a terrible person because you made a choice in the Witcher universe, and all choices are terrible and the consequences are bad.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer your edit, if you go the other way he kills her, then comes up afterwards and begs you to end his torment.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Now that I did the quest for Gwent and won a few cards I am feeling better about it, but I still cant find any more Blue Stripes Commandos, Crinfried Reavers, 8 strength siege equipment that has the grouping ability, medics, or spies so my deck is still pretty weak and i need a lucky draw to beat tough opponents.

Ravenfood posted:

I let him kill her. He lets you kill him after he kills her.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I'll edit what I asked before since I think it got lost at the bottom of the page. Is there any con to just heading over to the garrison to unlock the herbalist quickly? I went there last time after doing almost everything I could but decided to restart on death march because I finally got a hang of the combat. I still have not left white orchard yet.

There is no downside to it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like that there are a few quests and choices that actually ends up with happy outcomes. It makes the lovely outcomes have more of an impact.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

I like that there are a few quests and choices that actually ends up with happy outcomes. It makes the lovely outcomes have more of an impact.

So much this. After awhile bad endings just become tedious and I start to feel like I'm playing the walking dead again. Occasional moments of genuinely improving people's lives with your actions do much to break that up.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You save a princess what else do you need in life?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Not sure why I didn't notice this before but Bram, the merchant you save from the griffin, mentions the first time you meet him after he gets back into town that he will let you have stuff half off. Does he? I have no other merchant to compare prices with.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I want to thank CDProjekt for managing to make a character singing in a video game not a cringeworthy affair. Priscilla's song is really nice and nothing like Dragon Age's singalongs.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

I want to thank CDProjekt for managing to make a character singing in a video game not a cringeworthy affair. Priscilla's song is really nice and nothing like Dragon Age's singalongs.

I sort of wanted to take a Godlings voice after hearing him sing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Sea Shanties in Asscreed are pretty good too, imho.

Witcher-related, where are all of the fist fighting quests located in Novigrad? I'll stumble on them occasionally but I don't seem to have a quest for them.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Hey man, I'm a legit bleeding heart liberal IRL; but the Northern Kingdoms are a nightmare shithole full of horrible horrible poo poo people. They need to be obliterated and rebuilt from a place of order and strength so that something even greater can grow from that. And given that (ending spoilers) Ciri can end up Empress, I think that might be able to actually happen one day.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

WTF, I was doing the "In Wolf's Clothing" contract and suddenly a main quest called "Nameless" appeared in my log. There's no description and all the objectives are completed.

TastySauce
Jul 17, 2004

I AM A SKEPTOPOTAMUS!
The PS4 performance is a bit disappointing, especially in the swamp. I'm really hoping a patch comes out to address framerate drops soon.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

hi i dont play this game and probably wont for some time but it seems you are talking to poster "poptart_fairy" and your response to any post he makes should probably be "shut the gently caress up poptart_fairy", anyways i hope your game does well

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

NeurosisHead posted:

Hey man, I'm a legit bleeding heart liberal IRL; but the Northern Kingdoms are a nightmare shithole full of horrible horrible poo poo people. They need to be obliterated and rebuilt from a place of order and strength so that something even greater can grow from that. And given that (ending spoilers) Ciri can end up Empress, I think that might be able to actually happen one day.

You are the worst liberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Orv posted:

No man, don't you get it, slavery is totally fine. :stare:

Feudalism might as well just be slavery by another name though.