Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

To anyone in the world that thought Pearce was a good choice before the game, I submit this game as a counter argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

To anyone in the world that thought Pearce was a good choice before the game, I submit this game as a counter argument.
Josh Reynolds is the other choice though

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Something got to give, because as a spectacle Origin of late and some club football is bordering on complete unimaginative shite.

The fact they cant sell out the Olympic Stadium is proof positive change is needed.

I think it's time for a massively reduced interchange / substitution (2 and 2) and two men in the tackle only encouraging offload play. Unfortunately due to the fact that the Refs cant enforce the rules nor the sports reluctance to use the sin bin or send offs, we have to create the space in other ways, and those two should at least go someway to encouraging attacking play.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

Josh Reynolds is the other choice though

Brett Kimmorley could come out of retirement :v:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

MiniSune posted:

The fact they cant sell out the Olympic Stadium is proof positive change is needed.

They had 80,000 spectators, capacity is 82,000 and they usually average about 65,000 for origin?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

cpaf posted:

They had 80,000 spectators, capacity is 82,000 and they usually average about 65,000 for origin?

Yeah but clearly that 2000 means that nobody cared

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

iajanus posted:

Brett Kimmorley could come out of retirement :v:

Time for a call up for Jamie Soward

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I thought the game was loving awesome, the crowd was awesome, everyone was exhausted and tired because they were all going hard out all game. Plenty of errors and poor decision making but the level of play was far above any loving club game this year, for gods sake.

I'm proper drunk though so YMMV

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

I don't see how tonight's performance was any different to every other Origin appearance he has made in the past.

MiniSune posted:

Something got to give, because as a spectacle Origin of late and some club football is bordering on complete unimaginative shite.

I think it's time for a massively reduced interchange / substitution (2 and 2) and two men in the tackle only encouraging offload play. Unfortunately due to the fact that the Refs cant enforce the rules nor the sports reluctance to use the sin bin or send offs, we have to create the space in other ways, and those two should at least go someway to encouraging attacking play.

It seems like dropping the interchange to eight is inevitable. I think adding a fifth player to the bench to be used as an injury/concussion substitute would be a good idea. The degree of difficulty goes up way too much if you lose a player early in the game and are stuck with a shortened bench.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

I don't see how tonight's performance was any different to every other Origin appearance he has made in the past.

Apparently some people didn't realise it yet.

quote:

It seems like dropping the interchange to eight is inevitable. I think adding a fifth player to the bench to be used as an injury/concussion substitute would be a good idea. The degree of difficulty goes up way too much if you lose a player early in the game and are stuck with a shortened bench.

Agreed. I think that'll encourage more interesting broken play and help the points to flow without being too harsh with injuries.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lol Maroons coach this morning was all "See our team isn't too old!"

But that was some poo poo football. A field goal victory is pyrrhic at best.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The weird thing about the age ramblings is the only people I've heard talking about it were Queenslanders up here discussing why it wasn't a problem. I didn't really read or hear anything from down south about the issue - I don't know what the media was like down there but from what I can tell it's a completely manufactured complaint that they're railing against.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm from QLD and Maroon forever but the grey hair on Corey Parker doesn't lie.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I was surprised by how invisible the big names on both teams were. Thurston was MIA for most of the game, Slater was restricted to random dirty play, and Inglis/Hodges were just doing nothing passes and one-out runs. Cronk was the only Queenslander who really stood up and made took the game on. Same thing on the other side, with Woods/Scott/Dugan being the only people you really saw doing anything. The difference was the halves for NSW were pretty clearly terrible, and the kicking gameplan was hilariously terrible. It was the exact same plan the Tigers have been using all year (big, long bombs all day) and had the same result (absolutely no pressure or mistakes). After the second or third bomb I was just shaking my head because I already knew they'd keep coming and be equally useless.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Even the commentators had nothing to say about those kicks.

"Wow that didn't work."

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

I was surprised by how invisible the big names on both teams were. Thurston was MIA for most of the game, Slater was restricted to random dirty play, and Inglis/Hodges were just doing nothing passes and one-out runs. Cronk was the only Queenslander who really stood up and made took the game on. Same thing on the other side, with Woods/Scott/Dugan being the only people you really saw doing anything. The difference was the halves for NSW were pretty clearly terrible, and the kicking gameplan was hilariously terrible. It was the exact same plan the Tigers have been using all year (big, long bombs all day) and had the same result (absolutely no pressure or mistakes). After the second or third bomb I was just shaking my head because I already knew they'd keep coming and be equally useless.

I'm going to disagree with your thoughts on Thurston and Hodges, although I am biased in that I'm a Queensland sympathiser and had money on them last night. Thurston looked threatening to me a lot of the time, with a lot of half breaks, but good defence shut him down. Inglis making GBS threads the bed outside him didn't help. The dummy half runs by Hodges in the second half were a big part of why NSW looked so anemic in that 20 minute stretch. They may have been off good work by his forwards, but the metres and momentum he provided still count.

I still can't believe how much of a free pass Pearce got for last night's performance, especially his kicking. Those first two kicks that landed just short of the in goal were still loving terrible because Slater got to them on the full and got easy metres on the return. I can only recall one kick that his players had a chance at, and that was the one where Tupou got wrapped up by Chambers easily in the air. Way too many of his kicks found Slater on the full, and the metres from those that set NSW back in a huge way.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Granted Pearce has had some good games towards the end of last season and earlier this season, but overall he has had a thoroughly mediocre career. The only thing that makes sense is all the hype is because of the family name, with most of the prominent commentators being contemporaries of his dad.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought he played alright last night, not sure who would have been a better option

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

I thought he played alright last night, not sure who would have been a better option

This game again? Maloney and Blake Austin deserved to be in ahead of him based on form and their performances in City/Country. Josh Reynolds would have been an improvement too.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

I'm going to disagree with your thoughts on Thurston and Hodges, although I am biased in that I'm a Queensland sympathiser and had money on them last night. Thurston looked threatening to me a lot of the time, with a lot of half breaks, but good defence shut him down. Inglis making GBS threads the bed outside him didn't help. The dummy half runs by Hodges in the second half were a big part of why NSW looked so anemic in that 20 minute stretch. They may have been off good work by his forwards, but the metres and momentum he provided still count.

I still can't believe how much of a free pass Pearce got for last night's performance, especially his kicking. Those first two kicks that landed just short of the in goal were still loving terrible because Slater got to them on the full and got easy metres on the return. I can only recall one kick that his players had a chance at, and that was the one where Tupou got wrapped up by Chambers easily in the air. Way too many of his kicks found Slater on the full, and the metres from those that set NSW back in a huge way.

I'll disagree with Thurston (he was totally invisible until he missed the goal with barely any runs at the line and no attack at all) but agree with Pearce. He got vague accolades in every place I looked today, it was ridiculous. Nothing he did was impressive, and he literally was worse than nothing.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Also, wasn't Pearce playing out of position? And has anyone thought of putting Adam Reynolds in the mix?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Apollodorus posted:

Also, wasn't Pearce playing out of position? And has anyone thought of putting Adam Reynolds in the mix?

Depending on how they set things up there's not much difference between 6 & 7 these days. Also plenty of people were thinking about Adam Reynolds but he's injured.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, there's no real difference between the halves in a lot of setups nowadays. Switching them around between club and state isn't abnormal, hell, JT regularly does it because it's allows them to get two great players together.

And AReynolds is injured, sadly, otherwise he'd be an easy selection.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just got invited to an Inner Sanctum experience where I get to meet players and hear a coach debrief after the game at the next Knights home game

so when they lose I can tell them better luck next year in person I guess

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Smorgasbord posted:

Depending on how they set things up there's not much difference between 6 & 7 these days. Also plenty of people were thinking about Adam Reynolds but he's injured.

Right, right. I guess in the Roosters set-up, Maloney and Pearce seem to have more different duties, that's what I was thinking of. poo poo, just replace Pearce with Maloney.

Also I'd forgotten about AReynolds being injured, that sucks.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

iajanus posted:

The weird thing about the age ramblings is the only people I've heard talking about it were Queenslanders up here discussing why it wasn't a problem. I didn't really read or hear anything from down south about the issue - I don't know what the media was like down there but from what I can tell it's a completely manufactured complaint that they're railing against.

It was mentioned a lot after the anzac test mostly from people who refused to believe Australia was outplayed by NZ. Anyone who watched that game and thought scott, myles, smith, cronk or JT looked too old to play rugby league probably only watch 3 games a year

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

As others have said, the way the halves play now is different to how they played twenty or so years ago. Traditionally, the halfback was the first receiver, and the standoff/five-eighth was the second receiver. These days most teams play their 6 and 7 as a left half and a right half, with the fullback coming in as second receiver on both sides. Examples of this are Trent Hodkinson playing left half and Josh Reynolds playing right half for the Bulldogs and Kieran Foran playing left half and DCE playing right half for Manly.

Of course there are exceptions. Cooper Cronk is predominantly a right half that has license to roam on the left edge. Thurston is the opposite, a left half who often finds himself on the right edge. The Roosters probably play the most traditional configuration, Pearce is often first receiver on both sides with Maloney outside him.

I have always found Thurston's "position change" to be funny. I believe the real reason is it made things easier when it came to Queensland and Australian jersey numbering. Darren Lockyer wore 6 and played almost exclusively on the right edge, with Thurston wearing 7 on the left edge. When Lockyer retired, Thurston became a standoff, which amounted to changing his jersey number to 6, but continuing to play on the left. Meanwhile, Cooper Cronk appeared on the right edge for Queensland and Australia wearing 7 and playing half on the right side of the field.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

This is not a fun game to be rooting for the Panthers in :(

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

This is not a fun game to be rooting for the Panthers in :(
they are getting utterly dominated

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

That's a cheap loving shot on Soward

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Yeah. poo poo way to get taken out of the game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

Yep, perfect opportunity to use the bin there

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Yesss nice try, come on Penrith

edit: oh Penrith's top 2 goalkickers are off injured :(

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

That was pretty.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jesus loving Christ Parramatta are so hateable

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Eels are doing a Knights

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Jesus loving Christ Parramatta are so hateable

Sandow's the only one out there I usually loathe, but tonight they're all pissing me off. Way too much dirty play for my liking.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Wallace has a fair point, the decoy made no attempt to avoid him.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Jono C posted:

Of course there are exceptions. Cooper Cronk is predominantly a right half that has license to roam on the left edge. Thurston is the opposite, a left half who often finds himself on the right edge. The Roosters probably play the most traditional configuration, Pearce is often first receiver on both sides with Maloney outside him.

Okay, so I wasn't totally off-base there.

But I have only ever seen Mitchell Pearce play well in maybe half his games for Easts, and mostly when Maloney's paired with him. He can't bring his Origin-level play to actual Origin games. Also he's a loving idiot, but the same can be said for about 20 out of the 26 guys on the field at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Good call. All the defenders made poo poo reads.

• Locked thread