Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I really, really hope I am wrong but I believe at this point that if Towns goes #1 that D'Angelo Russell is going #2 to Los Angeles. The deeper you dive into the kids analytic numbers, the more you can't help but fall in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Watch Philly then take Mudiay and Okafor falls to New York.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

kiimo posted:

Watch Philly then take Mudiay and Okafor falls to New York.

It'd be much more hilarious if Okafor was available and the Knicks took Porzingis. It would only be hilarious if Porzingis busts and Okafor has a great career. I don't know anything about Porzingis.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Latest rumor is the Knicks might take WCS at #4 :v:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ty1990 posted:

I really, really hope I am wrong but I believe at this point that if Towns goes #1 that D'Angelo Russell is going #2 to Los Angeles. The deeper you dive into the kids analytic numbers, the more you can't help but fall in love.

And if there's anything we can say about the current Los Angeles Lakers it is that they display a deep committment to analytics.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There is no part of me that believes that WCS will be productive day in and day out in the NBA.

Thought this about DeAndre Jordan though so...

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

MourningView posted:

And if there's anything we can say about the current Los Angeles Lakers it is that they display a deep committment to analytics.

I know this but you have to think there will be people within that organization beating that drum.

Then again, Lakers.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

pylb posted:

Latest rumor is the Knicks might take WCS at #4 :v:

It doesn't seem totally crazy, I guess. My understanding of the triangle offense is that it doesn't require a polished offensive center, am I wrong on that? If that is the case he can be a screen, rebound, put back guy on the offensive end and do the ~*rim protector*~ thing on defense.

That of course all predicated on my very limited knowledge of the triangle and NY having a team surrounding him that allows him to play that role.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The triangle needs good passing bigmen or shaq to be successful

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Are the Lakers still running the triangle?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

Are the Lakers still running the triangle?

If the few games I managed to catch last season are an indication, they don't run any offense

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Probably just a smokescreen because NY isn't in love with they Congo China player and are trying to bait Sacramento into trading up

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ty1990 posted:

I know this but you have to think there will be people within that organization beating that drum.

Then again, Lakers.

The Lakers have a really good history with the draft and have been using analytics since the 90s and have an owner who was one of their early advocates. I know Byron Scott says dumb things but he has little input with the roster.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

The triangle needs good passing bigmen or shaq to be successful

:pwn:

It needs a good passer out of the post, who need not necessarily be a big (see little known engine of the 90s Bulls offense Michael "Mike" Jordan); also, Shaq was an extremely good passer.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

:pwn:

It needs a good passer out of the post, who need not necessarily be a big (see little known engine of the 90s Bulls offense Michael "Mike" Jordan); also, Shaq was an extremely good passer.

maybe so but all i remember is him overpowering everybody so that is why i said it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
In the triangle, your bigs need to read and react out of the post, they don't need handles. Being able to step out and take an open 12 footer also helps a ton. I also think the triangle is helped by having a guy with a big rear end kinda push around defenders down low. Longley, Bynum, and Shaq all did that well, helps to keep the defense off balance.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metapod posted:

maybe so but all i remember is him overpowering everybody so that is why i said it

If it was just about overpowering people, Hibbert would be an offensive monster. Shaq had a fundamentally sound games that maximized his physical advantages.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

If it was just about overpowering people, Hibbert would be an offensive monster. Shaq had a fundamentally sound games that maximized his physical advantages.

hibbert has this disease that prevents him from putting the ball in the hoop though

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

It's all about the feetwork

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Rumor has it that okc promised Cameron Payne they would draft him if he is there so there's that

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Metapod posted:

Rumor has it that okc promised Cameron Payne they would draft him if he is there so there's that

Ah I had read on rotoworld that he has a promise but didn't know the team. Payne's a guy I like alot and someone I would've liked the Sixers to look at hard with the Miami pick before Miami poo poo the bed down the stretch.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hornets and Pacers are also apparently interested in him, according to Ford.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Murray State played in a post season tournament I've never even heard of last year. The CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament aka CIT

They beat Yale in the championship game. They advanced to the quarterfinals of the NIT, and lost to Old Dominion, this year.

Stew Johnson and Popeye Jones also went to Murray State

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 28, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

Hornets and Pacers are also apparently interested in him, according to Ford.

well i hope presti has a backup plan then

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Shamus Clancy, from Liberty Ballers, wrote up a profile of Cedi "the Jedi" Osman, who grew 2" since last year and has developed an outside shot.

quote:

He has the ability to play all three perimeter positions, he cleans the defensive glass and his shot need some refinement, but there's hope for it. Is... Is he Evan Turner?!? He can be a Turner who eschews the concept that he's the best talent in the league, becoming sort of an amalgam of the player ET was in both 2012 and 2013: a good defender who can put the ball on the floor, throw up a 20 piece once every month or two and at least shoot a league-average percentage from deep (Turner shot 36.5% on threes in 2013). Osman's DRB% of 18.3% is also the same as Turner's career rate. Put that all together and that makes for a decent NBA player, one worth trying to grab in the second round and stashing to develop.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/5/31/8682567/2015-nba-draft-pimp-your-prospect-cedi-osman-sixers-anadolu-efes

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25200922/report-knicks-enamored-with-trey-lyles-could-draft-him-4th-overall

quote:

he New York Knicks have the No. 4 pick in the upcoming NBA Draft, and no one quite knows what they're planning. The choice might be simple if Karl-Anthony Towns, Jahlil Okafor or D'Angelo Russell is available, but the Knicks could also decide to surprise everybody -- they really, really like Kentucky forward Trey Lyles, according to the New York Daily News' Frank Isola:

While Towns and Willie Cauley-Stein have garnered the most attention, the Knicks for months have been enamored with Trey Lyles, according to a team source. Lyles is a 6-foot-10 forward out of Indianapolis who Phil Jackson sees as a good fit for the triangle offense.

Would the Knicks select Lyles with the fourth overall pick? Crazier things have happened and if Jackson truly believes Lyles, the 2014 Indiana Mr. Basketball who was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and has played internationally for the U.S. and Canada, is worth it, perhaps he'll make the move. A more plausible scenario would be for the Knicks to trade down, since most draft experts don't see him as a top 10 pick.

On one hand, this is baseless speculation. On the other, it's more amusing to me to believe this is true. So it's true to me :lol: Knicks

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

No. 9 and Lance for No. 4 and Bargnani is way too much to hope for but Charlotte is due to be on the winning end of a stupid New York team trade at some point

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

morestuff posted:

No. 9 and Lance for No. 4 and Bargnani is way too much to hope for but Charlotte is due to be on the winning end of a stupid New York team trade at some point

Bargnani is expiring I think?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Bargnani is expiring I think?

Ah, you're right. Calderon, then. I'm not picky.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/who-is-kristaps-porzingis/

for your unironic usage of 'ectomorph' in a 2015 draft vid

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

straight up brolic posted:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/who-is-kristaps-porzingis/

for your unironic usage of 'ectomorph' in a 2015 draft vid

get this man on an american sports star diet of weed and hamburgers asap

seriously though he'll be fine

chunkles fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 1, 2015

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

morestuff posted:

Get outta here man. Lance is not an asset.

https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/605465513641181184

Russell's stroke is so smooth. Future Knick WCS in there too.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

@JimCrandell
If you missed my segment last night, Vlade Divac said he doesn't think Kristap Porzingis is ready to play meaningful minutes in the NBA...

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

@JimCrandell
If you missed my segment last night, Vlade Divac said he doesn't think Kristap Porzingis is ready to play meaningful minutes in the NBA...

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Hopefully he's just stating the obvious, and not saying 'we'll never draft this potentially very good player.'

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

wowww D-Mo followed the same trajectory of uglification as Edward Furlong

edit:

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 2, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Larry Brown is apparently trying to harass everyone but the Timberwolves into taking Mudiay.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dejan Bimble posted:

Hopefully he's just stating the obvious, and not saying 'we'll never draft this potentially very good player.'

I don't know how likely he is to fall to Detroit but I am a bit concerned they wouldn't take him, apparently the sentiment around the league is SVG wants to "win now." It's the major issue I have with him as the GM as well, I hope they don't do something dumb like take Kaminsky or trade the pick.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rick posted:

Larry Brown is apparently trying to harass everyone but the Timberwolves into taking Mudiay.

"You don't even have to play him! I never played my rookies, after all. Isn't that how it goes?"

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 2, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

"You don't even have to play him! I never played my rookies, after all. Isn't that how it goes?"

"You can even actively ruin his career. Why not?"

Also KARL TOWNS IS REFUSING TO WORK OUT WITH ANYONE BUT THE LAKERS and the Timberwolves!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rick posted:

"You can even actively ruin his career. Why not?"

Also KARL TOWNS IS REFUSING TO WORK OUT WITH ANYONE BUT THE LAKERS and the Timberwolves!!!

Didn't pull a Dion Waiters, not sure I trust his judgement. Drop him to six.

• Locked thread