Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WHAT ARE ALL THESE WORDS WHO ARE THE GUYS I NEED TO FOCUS ON
I am aware that these OPs can drag on and no one wants to read a bunch of poo poo. So, here are a bunch of dudes you can ask me and each other questions about :

DECLAN BIG BOARD PROSPECT LIST FINE
1. Jahlil Okafor, C, Duke
2. Karl Towns, PF, Kentucky
3. Mario Hezonja, SG, Barca
4. Cliff Alexander, PF, Kansas
5. Kelly Oubre, SF, Kansas
6. Emmanuel Mudiay, Disappointment, Guangdong
7. Kristaps Porzingis, Jan Vesely, Sevilla
8. Willie Cauley-Stein, C, Kentucky
9. Sam Dekker, White Guy, Wisconsin
10. Stanley Johnson, SF, Arizona
11. Justise Winslow, SF, Duke
12. Tyus Jones, PG, Duke
13. Montrezl Harrell, C, Louisville
14. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, SF, Arizona

and I'll stop there because if you're wondering who your team is taking with the 20th pick before the season even starts then I just feel bad for you

Hi I'm a Cavs fan who hasn't been following the NBA since like oh 2010 for some reason anyways what's the deal with the draft that I've never paid attention to before now
The NBA draft is errthang to the NBA. Teams who are excellent drafters tend to do well in the NBA and teams that are poor drafters tend to do very poorly, unless they are the Lakers, in which case they do very poorly after their years of poor drafting has caught up with them.

Why is the NBA draft so drat important
Generally speaking, rookie contracts are by and large the best bargain in the NBA. Sure, you'll have LeBron James grossly outperforming a max contract or Kevin Durant taking a hometown discount or whatever the gently caress, but for most teams, the best bargain you can get is on a rookie contract. While most picks do not hit their maximum potential by definition, the expected value for a lottery pick tends to be a league average starter/30 MPG player over the course of their contract.

that doesn't sound like much who gives a poo poo about drafting the next james posey
I could throw out some numbers but basically it allows you to add starting level players at a controlled cost while also retaining their services as they improve vs. signing an MLE player for twice the cost who is less likely to improve. It's impossible to draft perfectly, and a lot of it is up to chance, but drafting intelligently is the only way to build a good team without either resorting to high risk signings (finite, boom or bust) or plunging your team into cap hell (reduces flexibility).

So yeah, it matters. The other thing to take into account is that it is relatively simple to rid yourself of players you don't think are working out or otherwise don't want on rookie contracts because their cap hits are smaller if you cut them outright or they're easier to move in trades (and their value tends to be inflated because of UPSIDE). Picks and players on rookie contracts are among the most liquid assets in the NBA. That being said, most draft picks don't turn into superstars, and out of the lottery, most players don't ever develop into starters. So it's important to temper your expectations of what you're drafting and who you're getting. Every raw college player is not a diamond in the rough, and every NBA-ready international guy doesn't crack the rotation right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

These are not in any particular order but are grouped together by estimated draft position. The likely order of the picks is wholly dependent on who holds the pick at whatever slot, so while Jahlil Okafor may be the #1 prospect, that's not necessarily who the team picking #1 will end up with.

Mario Hezonja (Born the Same Year That Se7en Came Out/Barca)

SG/SF/PG, 6'8, 200 lbs.

Pros: Fast, sees the court well, best friends with Dario Saric so if the Sixers draft him that poo poo's gonna be adorable, can ~*~*~*create his own shot*~*~*~, frame could easily add more weight, excellent passer, fits in the Dwyane Wade/Joe Johnson "do it all" mold which is pretty cool, potentially a very good defender, gifted passer, can shoot the lights out

Cons: Dumb as rocks. Terrible shot selection. Terminal case of chicken legs. Also fits in the Dwyane Wade/Joe Johnson mold of "bitching to the refs a lot". Offense primarily relies on isolations at this stage. Only plays at a breakneck pace which amplifies that whole "dumb" thing. Givony says he has bad intangibles but whatever who gives a poo poo if he's "aloof" so is every other European player that isn't Ricky Rubio.

Projection: Top 3
Don Van Vliet album that best summarizes his potential: Trout Mask Replica

Jahlil Okafor (Fr/Duke)

C/PF, 6'11, 272 lbs.

Pros: The latest in a grand tradition of pro-ready Okafors, body already appears to be ready for the NBA, decent athlete, allegedly well-spoken which means he will be a darling of sportswriters and crotchety old men everywhere, great hands, already has more post moves than half the centers starting in the NBA, footwork is good, strong, very gifted as a rebounder, excellent finisher, draws fouls at a very good rate

Cons: Looks like a melting Tim Duncan. Doesn't really pass much. Pretty boring as a prospect and as a person.

Don Van Vliet album that best summarizes his potential: Safe as Milk

Karl Towns (Fr/Kentucky)

PF, 7'0, 248 lbs.

Pros: Crazy long (7'4 wingspan, 9'5 standing reach), max vert of 37" holy poo poo, good dunkman, rebounds very well, has range out to about 20 feet, actually has offensive skills, oh man he's gonna block so many loving shots dude, appears to be a very willing passer

Cons: Dominican, and therefore not trustworthy. That vert is almost definitely a Cody Zeller-type situation where there's no way he'll ever actually use it. Not as aggressive going inside as he should be. Range stops at 20 feet and goes no further.

Don Van Vliet album that best summarizes his potential: Bat Chain Puller

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 19, 2014

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Is that Euro guy in the top 3 actually good, or is it a damnation of the depth of this draft class beyond Okafor?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^I think he sounds pretty infuriating.

quote:

Weaknesses:

-Looked disconnected mentally from his teammates, and from the game in general. Constantly talking to opponents. Seems to lack focus on the court

-Struggles operating within a team concept. Only really looks comfortable in isolation or pick and roll settings

-Goes too many possessions where he dribbles the ball incessantly and then settles for a contested pull-up jumper

-Needs to improve ball-handling skills in half-court. Doesn't change speeds or directions. If can't simply blow by his man, immediately pulls up off the dribble

-Struggles defensively off the ball. Shows poor awareness

Here's my Kansas guys post where I just repeat myself. Cliff is very very raw and Oubre is a bad shooter. In my opinion if they jump they'll go a bit lower. However Wayne Selden played on a torn meniscus last season and had it fixed. He's light years better and is the talk of the town. Considering the scarcity of shooting guards I'm predicting he goes top ten.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

kiimo posted:

^^^I think he sounds pretty infuriating.

Most of the knocks on him are intangibles stuff, and Givony hates dudes with bad intangibles to an almost comical degree (and also loves dudes with good ones). He's already a good shooter and ballhandler and can create his own shot, and he's a decent passer. Defensively, the sky is the limit, even if he doesn't work well in team defenses right now. I'd much rather have him than, say, Sam Dekker

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I like the blurb about what to expect from a lottery pick. My only input there is that you should expect a starter up to and including the tenth pick, a role player up to about the 14th or 17th, and absolutely no expectations for anyone past that.

Sources: https://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm and https://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=2740 and https://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2012/06/22/the-value-of-a-draft-pick-and-the-hornets-picks/

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
So who is the Mongolian Derrick Rose or whatever who will be taken in the middle of the first round and make everyone go "what?"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

So who is the Mongolian Derrick Rose or whatever who will be taken in the middle of the first round and make everyone go "what?"

I could see Ilimane Diop rising like crazy because he compares to Serge Ibaka (but that's ridiculous because Diop is from Senegal and emigrated to Spain at 14 and Ibaka is Congolese and emigrated to France at 17)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That seems really high for Dekker right now. He didn't shoot well last year, and he needs to shoot at an elite level to be worth a lottery pick. He supposedly had a great summer though so hopefully that bounces back.

Glad to see you won't let the Willie Cauley-Stein dream die. Go down with that ship, man. This draft is loaded with crazy raw but potentially exciting big dudes and Michael Kidd-Gilcrist like wings with great tools/effort but a low skill level.

The guy you didn't mention who I really like is Caris LaVert. He's a good athlete, has the size/length to play wing in the NBA, and has a great offensive skill set and nice jumper. It's possible he crumbles as Michigan's go-to guy, but I think he's going to have a breakout the way Stauskas did last year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 21, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can the Euro guy shoot? Can anybody in this class shoot? I really hope the Sixers can draft a guy that can shoot.

Death to lottery changes

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hezonja is known for shooting. Surprise. Towns and Myles Turner can both shoot. But the Sixers probably don't want another center, even if he can shoot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Hezonja is known for shooting. Surprise. Towns and Myles Turner can both shoot. But the Sixers probably don't want another center, even if he can shoot.

They can shoot relatively well for their size which is not the same thing as being a good shooter. Every tall dude who hits a handful of threes gets overpraised for his shooting ability.

Anyway as for shooters from this class: Oubre, LaVert, RJ Hunter, Dekker maybe, Seldon maybe, Justin Jackson, Frank Kaminsky, Ron Baker or Fred VanFleet if you're into them...I dunno maybe some others I'm forgetting. It's definitely not a great class in that regard.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

That seems really high for Dekker right now. He didn't shoot well last year, and he needs to shoot at an elite level to be worth a lottery pick. He supposedly had a great summer though so hopefully that bounces back.

Glad to see you won't let the Willie Cauley-Stein dream die. Go down with that ship, man. This draft is loaded with crazy raw but potentially exciting big dudes and Michael Kidd-Gilcrist like wings with great tools/effort but a low skill level.

The guy you didn't mention who I really like is Caris LaVert. He's a good athlete, has the size/length to play wing in the NBA, and has a great offensive skill set and nice jumper. It's possible he crumbles as Michigan's go-to guy, but I think he's going to have a breakout the way Stauskas did last year.

Caris LeVert is also a really good name for an NBA player

quote:

Glad to see you won't let the Willie Cauley-Stein dream die. Go down with that ship, man.

~I Believe~

DOOP posted:

Can the Euro guy shoot? Can anybody in this class shoot? I really hope the Sixers can draft a guy that can shoot.

Death to lottery changes

I don't know about any of that but if you need some long athletes I got a few of those if you want

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hezonja's name corrects to Hero jams. That is a good omen.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Not this years draft but I figure this is the best place for it, what do you think of Tarik Black Declan (or anyone else)? He's been really impressive in preseason.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 24, 2014

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's nice to see Tarik Black playing well and not having to resort to his invitation from Aaron Rodgers to play tight end.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

chunkles posted:

Not this years draft but I figure this is the best place for it, what do you think of Tarik Black Declan (or anyone else)? He's been really impressive in preseason.

Wee bit undersized post scorer, never played as well as his physical abilities would suggest. Projects to be a good rebounder/interior scorer and not a lot else, although he was a decent defender in college. Probably not going to see a lot of time with Dwight on the court as it would gently caress up the Rockets' spacing big time

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Do the Suns get the Lakers 1st round pick outright? or is it protected in anyway?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Metapod posted:

Do the Suns get the Lakers 1st round pick outright? or is it protected in anyway?

Top 5 protected

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Kelly Oubre's hair isn't as zesty as this anymore

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Remember when I was talking about Cliff Alexander maybe not being a one and done lottery pick? :lol: yeah I was wrong.

In his first game he put up a team-leading 14 points, 9 rebounds, 3 blocked shots and shot 6-8 in only 17 minutes. Yeah it was against Washburn but he looks like he's developed some footwork. He's changing my mind is what I'm saying. The game is on ESPN 3 if anybody is interested.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Declan MacManus posted:

I could see Ilimane Diop rising like crazy because he compares to Serge Ibaka (but that's ridiculous because Diop is from Senegal and emigrated to Spain at 14 and Ibaka is Congolese and emigrated to France at 17)

Any relation to DeSagana, or is that just a really common surname over there?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

Any relation to DeSagana, or is that just a really common surname over there?

Nah, Diop is a really common last name in Senegal.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
This list is hilarious

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
So what's the realistic projection for Okafor, and how pissed will I be if he goes to the Celtics or Lakers?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

So what's the realistic projection for Okafor, and how pissed will I be if he goes to the Celtics or Lakers?

Bigger Al Jefferson is probably the most obvious comparison one can make based on his high school tape/rep, and one you will hear approximately 9 million times between now and draft day. We'll know more once he actually gets a few college games under his belt. He's not an out of this world athlete but seems ridiculously polished for someone that age.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 6, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I like Delon Wright a bit better than that.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
huh, LeBryan Nash is still in college. Thought he graduated/left for the draft years ago.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Kidd-Liggit posted:

huh, LeBryan Nash is still in college. Thought he graduated/left for the draft years ago.

This is how I feel about Jonathan Holmes.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Kidd-Liggit posted:

He is Exhibit A of the one-and-done player that turned out to be neither one nor done.

He's pretty bad, honestly, but a D-League team will be happy to have him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dudes who were projected as NBA picks out of high school but wind up playing 4 years because they aren't good enough to leave early always feel like they were in school for 20 years. It felt like Patric Young started showing up in mock drafts in like 1995.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 8, 2014

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How is someone named LeBryan Nash not a successful basketball player? He sounds like he was conjured up in a lab only to play basketball.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView I remember what you said about Cliff and his dedication to doing nothing but dunking and blocking everything he can as hard as he can.

I have to disa-

https://vine.co/v/Oijn5jMThun

nope that's spot-on.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Needs more dunks.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Probably Magic posted:

Needs more dunks.

Needs less Emporia State

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As the sixers now seem to be a lock lock for a top 3: requesting scouting reports on:

1. Jahlil Okafor, C, Duke
2. Karl Towns, PF, Kentucky
3. Mario Hezonja, SG, Barca

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also why wouldn't the sixers draft Okafor. They could play Embiid, Noel, and Okafor all at 4 and 5 and give them all 32 mins a night.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Man the college season is like three games old and no one here is going to tell you anything about a Euro player that you wouldn't get from googling the dude and looking at his draft express page.

So far Okafor looks pretty much as advertised. He's the most polished back to the basket offensive center prospect since....I dunno. It's been a long time. Maybe boogie but Okafor is farther along when it comes to footwork and stuff than Cousins was at this point. He's missed like 5 shots in three games because there is no one in college who can handle someone that big with that kind of skill level in the post. He has flaws (good but not otherworldly athlete, so so defender) but he's the early favorite for college player of the year and hasn't done anything to hurt his status as the top prospect.

Towns is huge and a really smooth looking athlete for his size, but he looks like most big guys who come into college being praised for their perimeter game. He'll show flashes but in general it's really raw right now. At the moment he's good at the things that most guys who are really long and athletic are good at: offensive rebounding and blocking shots. That said, it's early and he's not in a good position to showcase himself. UK is absurdly loaded with big guys, and they're doing a dumb hockey line change substitution pattern that makes it hard for anyone to stand out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Also why wouldn't the sixers draft Okafor. They could play Embiid, Noel, and Okafor all at 4 and 5 and give them all 32 mins a night.

They have terrible players everywhere so drafting nothing but centers isn't really ideal. And maybe they really like Mudiay, who is currently destroying china, whatever the gently caress that is supposed to mean.

I don't think playing Okafor at the 4 is a good idea defensively either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mario Hezonja (Born the Same Year That Se7en Came Out/Barca)

SG/SF/PG, 6'8, 200 lbs.

Pros: Fast, sees the court well, best friends with Dario Saric so if the Sixers draft him that poo poo's gonna be adorable, can ~*~*~*create his own shot*~*~*~, frame could easily add more weight, excellent passer, fits in the Dwyane Wade/Joe Johnson "do it all" mold which is pretty cool, potentially a very good defender, gifted passer, can shoot the lights out

Cons: Dumb as rocks. Terrible shot selection. Terminal case of chicken legs. Also fits in the Dwyane Wade/Joe Johnson mold of "bitching to the refs a lot". Offense primarily relies on isolations at this stage. Only plays at a breakneck pace which amplifies that whole "dumb" thing. Givony says he has bad intangibles but whatever who gives a poo poo if he's "aloof" so is every other European player that isn't Ricky Rubio.

Don Van Vliet album that best summarizes his potential: Trout Mask Replica

Jahlil Okafor (Fr/Duke)

C/PF, 6'11, 272 lbs.

Pros: The latest in a grand tradition of pro-ready Okafors, body already appears to be ready for the NBA, decent athlete, allegedly well-spoken which means he will be a darling of sportswriters and crotchety old men everywhere, great hands, already has more post moves than half the centers starting in the NBA, footwork is good, strong, very gifted as a rebounder, excellent finisher, draws fouls at a very good rate

Cons: Looks like a melting Tim Duncan. Doesn't really pass much. Pretty boring as a prospect and as a person.

Don Van Vliet album that best summarizes his potential: Safe as Milk

Karl Towns (Fr/Kentucky)

PF, 7'0, 248 lbs.

Pros: Crazy long (7'4 wingspan, 9'5 standing reach), max vert of 37" holy poo poo, good dunkman, rebounds very well, has range out to about 20 feet, actually has offensive skills, oh man he's gonna block so many loving shots dude, appears to be a very willing passer

Cons: Dominican, and therefore not trustworthy. That vert is almost definitely a Cody Zeller-type situation where there's no way he'll ever actually use it. Not as aggressive going inside as he should be. Range stops at 20 feet and goes no further.

Don Van Vliet album that best summarizes his potential: Bat Chain Puller

• Locked thread