Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alpha vs beta is so basic and grade school that a big buff dude who goes 'graaa' could totally fit on that. if anything the fact that he has no lines other than '-----' makes him even more of an archetypal embodiment of masculinity. Not to mention the fact that he's freaking Hercules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEOCJeqoWVo

rvm
May 6, 2013
Rin is a good character, but her arc is (unevenly) spread across all three routes: UBW's Rin in particular is nothing to write home about. She still has motivations and goals that have nothing to do with the protagonist. Also, one of the bad ends (the one where she wipes Shirou's memory MIB style) of the route shows that Team Rin is perfectly capable of winning the war without Shirou.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

alpha vs beta is so basic and grade school that a big buff dude who goes 'graaa' could totally fit on that. if anything the fact that he has no lines other than '-----' makes him even more of an archetypal embodiment of masculinity. Not to mention the fact that he's freaking Hercules.

Like I said, I prefer to discount him because I don't really view him as much of a character (to clarify, I don't think he's a bad character, just not one the story pays much attention to, thematic or otherwise). If you did want to go there, though, I guess you could say that he ends up getting an even harsher version of Lancer's deal - his death is tragic and noble, yes, but it's also a big dumb alpha brute with incredible strength failing miserably and leaving it up to our weedy protagonist to fix his mess.

Actually, come to think of it, isn't Berserker's job in all three routes to get wrecked in order to show how badass someone else is? That doesn't imply a high estimate of his brand of strength (and if you're tying strength into hypermasculinity, well...).

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 27, 2015

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, come to think of it, isn't Berserker's job in all three routes to get wrecked in order to show how badass someone else is? That doesn't imply a high estimate of his brand of strength (and if you're tying strength into hypermasculinity, well...).

In Fate hes a midboss, similar to Caster's role in UBW, except defeated a little more traditionally.

In Heavens Feel, he spoilers the spoiler spoiler. (The movie will be out soon enough...)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I thank you.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

JimmyT64 posted:

In Fate hes a midboss, similar to Caster's role in UBW, except defeated a little more traditionally.

In Heavens Feel, he spoilers the spoiler spoiler. (The movie will be out soon enough...)
I love how vague the original wording is, here. "Wrecked to show how much better someone else is." That's... kind of the point of anyone getting beaten, when you think about it.

I think the term Darth Walrus was looking for was "jobbing," and no he only does that in UBW really.

EDIT: I also think it's humorous that in terms of story telling, midbosses are generally a lot more important than final bosses. I'd probably put Berserker's role in Fate as more like Archer's role, whereas Caster in UBW is more like Rider in Fate.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 28, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Twiddy posted:

I love how vague the original wording is, here. "Wrecked to show how much better someone else is." That's... kind of the point of anyone getting beaten, when you think about it.

I think the term Darth Walrus was looking for was "jobbing," and no he only does that in UBW really.

EDIT: I also think it's humorous that in terms of story telling, midbosses are generally a lot more important than final bosses. I'd probably put Berserker's role in Fate as more like Archer's role, whereas Caster in UBW is more like Rider in Fate.

Yeah, jobbing seems about right. You set up this guy as a terrifying force of nature, then have someone roflstomp him to show how superior they are. And yeah, it's entirely possible for someone to be killed or beaten down in a way that doesn't make the perpetrator look cool or scary - see also, poor old Lancer's demise, where it was more about him powering through it than about Kotomine being amazing for killing a Servant, or any time Shinji gets the upper hand.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of Lancer

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, jobbing seems about right. You set up this guy as a terrifying force of nature, then have someone roflstomp him to show how superior they are. And yeah, it's entirely possible for someone to be killed or beaten down in a way that doesn't make the perpetrator look cool or scary - see also, poor old Lancer's demise, where it was more about him powering through it than about Kotomine being amazing for killing a Servant, or any time Shinji gets the upper hand.
I mean yeah it's entirely possible, I was just amusing at how broad you could interpret "badass" to include, say, all the instances of a hero overcoming his trials, for example. Not that I'm looking down on what you said, beyond Berserker's personal character arc of showing the nobility of dying for your ideal (also giving Ilya some character so she has more depth than just being a villain for the HF route), his purpose is also to job for Gilgamesh after he was an overwhelming presence in the Fate round.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
What's up with people in this thread hating Kiritsugu? He was much better then Shirou. His methods absolutely did work. The only reason he failed was because the true nature of the grail was hidden from him. He was badads, effective, and a much more compelling protagonist.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Edit: Never mind, will take it to Type-Moon General.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 28, 2015

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Surprisingly Dope posted:

What's up with people in this thread hating Kiritsugu? He was much better then Shirou. His methods absolutely did work. The only reason he failed was because the true nature of the grail was hidden from him. He was badads, effective, and a much more compelling protagonist.

"Worked" in what sense? The result of his actions were a fire that devastated Fuyuki (destroying tons of buildings and killing presumably thousands), the death of his wife and close assistant, complete separation from his daughter (who came to hate his guts, although for unjustified reasons), and more or less passing the buck after failing to satisfactorily end the fourth war. zero's conclusion is a complete dressing down of the kind of idealism that Kiritsugu represents, and he'd be the last person to agree his methods were effective.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Sylphid posted:

"Worked" in what sense? The result of his actions were a fire that devastated Fuyuki (destroying tons of buildings and killing presumably thousands), the death of his wife and close assistant, complete separation from his daughter (who came to hate his guts, although for unjustified reasons), and more or less passing the buck after failing to satisfactorily end the fourth war. zero's conclusion is a complete dressing down of the kind of idealism that Kiritsugu represents, and he'd be the last person to agree his methods were effective.

They were certainly effective in obtaining the grail, the only reason it didn't work was because the nature of the grail was misrepresented by the church and mages accosiations. It's not Kiritsugus fault that mages are shitheads.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If you thought Kiritsugu was cool you entirely misunderstood the point of FZ.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Hell, he even tried to destroy the grail when he figured out it was a sham, and the destruction only happened because the grail decided to bring Kotomine back to life.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Rodyle posted:

If you thought Kiritsugu was cool you entirely misunderstood the point of FZ.

Explain how he wasn't cool. Because literally everything about him is cool.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Explain how he wasn't cool. Because literally everything about him is cool.
Would it help you understand if one of the Bad Ends in HF is literally "Shirou becomes Kiritsugu?" Probably not, sounds like you're one of those types whose conclusion is "Mind of Steel was right all along."

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

While watching F/Z I definitely fell into thinking he was badass and siding with him over an "insufferable" Saber, but when not indulging my edgy teen/Batman sensibilities it's a different story. He's just a pathetic rear end in a top hat who gets some good fight scenes and then is rightfully destroyed.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Like getting away from trying to explain why exactly Kiristugu is bad, understand that the author literally went in with the conclusion "Kiritsugu is bad" and wrote that.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

If I was in the holy grail war my wish would be to destroy the Grail so that this thread would stop having such bad discussion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even if we ignore the corruption of the grail mucking things up during/after the Kiritsugu/Kotomine battle, Kiritsugu got to that point by making both himself and everyone he cares about miserable with a rather tenuous grasp as what kind of wish he'd give in the first to supposedly make up for that suffering. His final acts still left him a sad, broken man.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

If I was in the holy grail war my wish would be to destroy the Grail so that this thread would stop having such bad discussion.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't hate Kiritsugu, I hate that people think he's "successful" and missing the point of F/Z which is making GBS threads all over him and his "kill a few, save more" idea.

Also, a jerk to Saber.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kiritsugu sucks, Shirou rules, cats drool

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Kiritsugu is cool because guns and shooting guns are cool. Way cooler than swords imo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Before Fate/Zero, Kiritsugu was literally presented as a broken man who tried and failed to be a hero, and who passed the torch down to his adoptive son. There's other timelines where he succeeds spectacularly by thinking outside of the box even further and doing to the entire Grail War what he did to that one building. But that leads to Prisma Illya so that's a bit of a wash.

Also he was entertaining as a badass demolition man but was boring as a character outside of his flashbacks. In terms of storylines, the guy had the second weakest of all the Masters, only beating out that serial killer because Kiritsugu was two-notes instead of one.

And Waver's story basically stole the show, so he's not even the best character in his own series.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

T.G. Xarbala posted:

And Waver's story basically stole the show, so he's not even the best character in his own series.

Waver is the best and so is Zero Rider.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rodyle posted:

Apparently she got chewed out by her boss for going off the reservation and writing some opinion piece instead of a review.

Endorph posted:

Did she? Where'd you get that info?

Rodyle posted:

Second hand. Boss man apparently came out and said something about how he'd have had her be more on topic if he'd seen the review himself prior to posting or whatever. I don't plan on reading the comments thread to confirm.

If you're still interested, she did but it was only a minor chewing out.

Zac, the ANN Executive Editor, posted some stuff in the comment thread about making sure Gabby stayed on message next time, not inserting comments about overall themes about the series into an episode review, and save them for an opinion piece on the series once its over. Also, for her and Jay O to be less flippant about their comments on Twitter regarding stuff they know will be controversial. Link to said comment is here, with further comment by him a couple of posts down and then a comment from Gabby right underneath that one.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Before Fate/Zero, Kiritsugu was literally presented as a broken man who tried and failed to be a hero, and who passed the torch down to his adoptive son. There's other timelines where he succeeds spectacularly by thinking outside of the box even further and doing to the entire Grail War what he did to that one building. But that leads to Prisma Illya so that's a bit of a wash.

That would explain the crater...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I know Kiritsugu's a bad person but I think he's a less typical protagonist than Shirou (or at least, the fact that what he does is presented as bad is atypical) and also that his suite of abilities is more interesting than "I get out of fights alive because I, unbeknownst to myself, have insane regenerative powers". Shirou is cool sometimes and his overall arc is good but goddamn if he isn't boring a lot of the time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kiritsugu is insanely boring at all times. at least shirou smiles sometimes, goddamn

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kiritsugu, playing with his daughter: :smith:

kiritsugu, insulting king arthur: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing a man: :smith:

kiritsugu, having sex with his wife: :smith:

kiritsugu, having sex with his sidekick: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing a woman: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing his crush: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing his mother figure: :smith:

kiritsugu, fighting his rival: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing his wife: :smith:

kiritsugu, killing his daughter: :smithicide:

kiritsugu, saving a little boy's life: :gbsmith:

there i just summarized fate/zero for anyone who hasn't watched it

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

kiritsugu, killing his daughter: :smithicide:

Spoilers man. I didn't know Illya was a zombie.

But seriously, as I haven't gotten around to finishing Fate/Zero, what's this part supposed to mean?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

andipossess posted:

But seriously, as I haven't gotten around to finishing Fate/Zero, what's this part supposed to mean?

He killed an illusion of Ilya (which he knew was an illusion, IIRC) created by Angra Mainyu.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

andipossess posted:

He's put in a situation where he has to choose between his ideal and his family. He kills fake versions of his wife and daughter.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Kotomine is so much better than Kiritsugu

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just like that he's super capable to the point where he calmly takes on mages despite barely being a mage himself. Yeah, he was obviously working towards the wrong goal, but he still got there despite the odds.

I think everyone likes Waver because he's a nice guy and the most relatable of the cast (and also because he was bros with Rider), but he's not as interesting a character as the other major players at the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I don't have strong feelings about Fate/Zero either way so it's a bit strange to me how much this thread (and often the other one too) revolves around it. Obviously there's a comparison to be made, but man it is absolutely dominating the discussion.

• Locked thread