Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 3 of Rectify has an official premiere date now. July 9. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley series is being adapted into a TV series. No network attached yet but I'm sure plenty would want it seeing as its a fairly prestige property, previously being adapted into movies 5 times. For those who haven't read the books it follows Tom Ripley, a young man obsessed with the finer things in life and no problems murdering to get them. The series could be kind of weird to adapt seeing as 20 years pass between the first and second book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley series is being adapted into a TV series. No network attached yet but I'm sure plenty would want it seeing as its a fairly prestige property, previously being adapted into movies 5 times. For those who haven't read the books it follows Tom Ripley, a young man obsessed with the finer things in life and no problems murdering to get them. The series could be kind of weird to adapt seeing as 20 years pass between the first and second book.

That's the same as the Talented Mr. Ripley movie, correct?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

That's the same as the Talented Mr. Ripley movie, correct?

Yes, it's based on the same material. There's been several movies based on that character. I think the one with Malkovich is the best of the bunch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's also been played by Dennis Hopper in 1977 and Barry Pepper in 2005.

Its an interesting character seeing as he's the protagonist but he murders his way through the first book, killing fairly frequently to get what he wants. I think the only real problem is that he doesn't exactly have a strong antagonist, instead just a series of people investigating him or suspicious of his motives/identity.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

midnightclimax posted:

Ok, finally got around to watching the first episode of Wayward Pines. Hmmr, no.
I don't know, it's a bunch of different ideas from different shows, but it didn't really captivate me. Also that psychiatrist guy looks like he really was in Twin Peaks.

He is, in fact, a main character on iZombie, a show you should probably be watching if you aren't already.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I saw the first episode of Mr Robot. It wasn't bad, although with Christian Slater in it, I can't see it lasting more than half a season, even on USA.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Taxi Brooklyn is on Netflix UK now.

It's tempting, guys. It's really tempting.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

He's at it again, folks.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Mr. Robot loving sucks. Thanks for reading.

E: The most punchable face. We also get a hacker who is working for the company he hates, literally "Evil Corp.", and he has a Denis Leary or maybe Andy Sorkin-esque rant but it's about Steve Jobs, slave labor, Transformers 2... So far the plot is lifted directly out of Fight Club. What a stupid show. Also this dude gets to do molly, morphine, and smoke joints but Constantine couldn't puff a cig?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 28, 2015

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Firstborn posted:

E: The most punchable face. We also get a hacker who is working for the company he hates, literally "Evil Corp.", and he has a Denis Leary or maybe Andy Sorkin-esque rant but it's about Steve Jobs, slave labor, Transformers 2... So far the plot is lifted directly out of Fight Club. What a stupid show. Also this dude gets to do molly, morphine, and smoke joints but Constantine couldn't puff a cig?

Constantine smoked cigarettes all the time on his show.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Firstborn posted:

I know Sirens likely didn't cancelled because of this show but I'm gonna blame it for it anyways.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bown posted:

A taste of French series in English.

edit: unrelated but I've had that song stuck in my head since yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNask_pMKo loving scooby-doo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Firstborn posted:

Well aside from the fact that he's frequently delusional and the name of the company is 'E' Corp. It just changes to 'Evil' Corp in his perceptions. I liked it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Vanderdeath posted:

I know Sirens likely didn't cancelled because of this show but I'm gonna blame it for it anyways.

Sirens was pretty great, the cast had terrific chemistry and it was probably the raciest thing USA had done in a long time.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Not so much.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
drat, Deadpool just I don't think so Tim'ed him.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VDay posted:

drat, Deadpool just I don't think so Tim'ed him.
I, for one, was curious why he was doing another thread when his Doctor Who one is still ongoing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Taxi Brooklyn is easily the funniest and smartest comedy NBC has aired in years, and is the best satire of cop shows since Police Squad!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watching Mr. Robot now. Is it picked up, tell me it's picked up! Great pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did that air already? I thought it wasn't starting until June.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It "leaked", as it were.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^Specifically, they're doing early previews of the pilot through your usual VOD services.

Firstborn posted:

I'm only 16 minutes in but it seems to me like those are all features as opposed to bugs. We're really not supposed to think of him as the kind of guy that's really above everyone else (compared to, say, Michael Westen). He might think that, but remember he accuses his therapist of being bad at reading people in his inner monologue, but she's at least good enough to sniff out when he's being withholding. Meanwhile whenever his best friend's boyfriend holds out an olive branch (in an admittedly condescending way), his reasoning for shutting him down is that he likes Decision Points and Transformers 2...and he acts like this is all self-explanatory. He's a classic self-absorbed misanthrope with mild sociopathic (and/or perhaps autistic, though I'm wary of throwing that term around) tendencies, and not in that Gregory House way where his character flaws and assholery are obscured by a thick veneer of charming sarcasm. If you've ever played Watch_Dogs, he's Aiden Pearce if Ubisoft realized that Aiden Pearce was not a good guy.

Personally, I'm interested. Even if it's obvious that Christian Slater's character is all in his beautiful mind.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 28, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't care about any of that. I'm along for the ride with this mentally ill hacker.

I like how calling someone sociopathic is alright but you're wary of calling someone autistic...hahaha. He's pretty well Aspergers, with a healthy amount of Schizophrenia.

I could literally watch Christian Slater read the A-Z of tax law.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 28, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I might have been too quick on the sociopath trigger but Elliot definitely suffers from schizophrenia and anti-social disorder. But yeah, none of that poo poo really matters, this is just a great loving pilot. Shockingly well put together.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It was just a little too darling and pretentious for me even if that was the point, but my girlfriend thought it was interesting, so I'll probably give it a shot. And RE: Constantine smoking... yes, they would show him putting out a cigarette butt, or inhaling, but never exhaling. It's like watching Comedy Central's cut of Cheech & Chong or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how these last two seasons of Archer have had Christian Slater just show up as himself, drawn like himself, wearing his regular clothes but also working for the CIA.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Christian Slater has aged pretty well. He looks exactly like he did in that terrible Alone in the Dark movie, as my brain remembers it. His face a little puffier, maybe, but still looking good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this? posted:

He's also been played by Dennis Hopper in 1977 and Barry Pepper in 2005.

Its an interesting character seeing as he's the protagonist but he murders his way through the first book, killing fairly frequently to get what he wants. I think the only real problem is that he doesn't exactly have a strong antagonist, instead just a series of people investigating him or suspicious of his motives/identity.

Ian Hart played him a couple of years when BBC Radio adapted all five books (though each one was just an hour long)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Thank me later.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
only 30 minutes? couldn't even be arsed to be a full feature?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I enjoyed Mr. Robot.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Sober posted:

That's how much money the Kickstarter raised. He apparently used this to shop around in Hollywood and get funding for a feature, so there's that to look forward to later.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sober posted:

It wasn't even enough of a joke to last an entire trailer.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sleeveless posted:

It wasn't even enough of a joke to last an entire trailer.

Its an ironically bad and over-the-top homage to 80s action movies. If such a fresh and original premise doesn't pique your interest, then I don't know what to say.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I liked the trailer from when they did the kickstarter or whatever but I made it about five minutes in the one above before I got my fill of the gimmick. It should have stayed a short.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Its an ironically bad and over-the-top homage to 80s action movies. If such a fresh and original premise doesn't pique your interest, then I don't know what to say.

Well it worked out well for Manborg, I hope this turns out as good.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Irish Joe posted:

If it had been just that then it would have been fine. It was when they went full :regd08: and threw in Nazis, Norse gods, Matrix kung-fu, and dinosaurs that you could tell they had no idea what they were doing and no real knowledge of or affection for the subject matter.

I unironically like the David Hasselhoff song they made for it, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTidn2dBYbY

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sleeveless posted:

If it had been just that then it would have been fine. It was when they went full :regd08: and threw in Nazis, Norse gods, Matrix kung-fu, and dinosaurs that you could tell they had no idea what they were doing and no real knowledge of or affection for the subject matter.

I thought it was as if Michael Bay saw Danger 5 and wanted to make something like it but better. And in typical Michael Bay fashion completely missed the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Deadpool posted:

I enjoyed Mr. Robot.

Every time I see the name Mr. Robot I get it mixed up with Mr. Show for some reason.

• Locked thread