Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the glow
May 31, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Welp, suffered my first major death in Caves of Qud. Was told to head on down to Golgotha to find and fix some droid. Ended up going down a one-way(?) stair that deposited me in some weird place where I was accosted by a seemingly unending tide of "Chute crabs". Tried to run and find an exit, but got trapped. 4 salve injectors, 2 fragmentation grenades, and I dunno-how-many shotgun shells later I was eaten alive by the drat things. :rip:

Golgotha is the game's first big difficulty spike, it's Caves of Qud's ToEF. The chute crab entrance is the nastiest of all the possibilities, too. A good plan is to use a sphinx salt injector before going into Golgotha and if you get chute crabs, rewind time and try a different way in. Having a flamethrower also helps a lot.

Anybody got any early impressions of Cogmind to share? I've been watching that with interest for a while now but $30 is kinda steep for an alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Chute crabs" continues to sound like the worst possible STD.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Whoa what, the new Monster Den game is on Kickstarter with only 9 days left?

drat, I loved that game and played it endlessly. Kind of sad that the kickstarter isn't doing too well, and that I only found it by chance.

I recommend the previous Monster Den games, you can find links on their website: http://www.monstrumgames.com/games/

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

Is there any up to date beginner's guide or let's play series for this? I haven't played since the dev made it free, and my one time purchased version was even older than that and didn't have all the new changes.

Last I remembered, making a million wooden bowls and tying up a cow for milk was the poo poo starting off?

I think all the big new changes recently have been related to diplomacy and trading, and also the stamina system. Cannibalism is out of the latest version unless your dude is starving, sadly.

Generally the easiest starting point is to take the fisherman start and start off in the southwest in Driikilanen territory, near a river and as close to rapids as possible. Rapids never freeze and contain super-nutritious salmon and trout. If you fish for two to three days and only catch one you've still basically broken even. The Driik have the best storehouses, so in your spare time split up a few trees for boards and make fox-traps out of the best boards, then trade them for smoked/dried meat cuts and anything else you need. Personally I play with a mod-pack that gives me way more stuff to craft, including primitive tools, pottery, metalworking and the ability to make cords out of natural materials, but I can understand if some people think that makes the game too easy.

Also milk is rejiggered so you don't autofill whatever container you use to milk said cow/sheep, sadly.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Inadequately posted:

I think all the big new changes recently have been related to diplomacy and trading, and also the stamina system. Cannibalism is out of the latest version unless your dude is starving, sadly.
What's the new stamina system?

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, I posted this in the LPRL thread last night as my third DoomRL update, but I need to crow about it in here a bit. :v:

YAAM:

What does "he saved himself" mean?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

chiefnewo posted:

What does "he saved himself" mean?

Literally that: you saved and quit the game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Slaapaav posted:

im playing the armored commander alpha 7 but i keep crashing so loving much. :(

Hey, Rev_sudasana might've fixed that crash bug. Try downloading the latest version if you want.

quote:

Alpha 7 had a nasty bug where the game would crash when your tank is knocked out. Had to do with how the sector from which the knock-out hit came from was stored. Alpha 7.1 fixes this and adds some new updates to the campaign day map, but savegames from 7 will likely not transfer over to 7.1 since many of the variables in the campaign day map object have been changed.

Oh, and he added in the option to call in air strike support instead of just an artillery barrage. :getin:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Since I've been on a bit of a Roguelike binge the last week or so, I'm looking for suggestions. What are some interesting non-fantasy Roguelikes out there? Stuff like Cataclysm, ArmCom, DoomRL, Invisible Inc, and Caves of Qud. They can be complex or simple, it doesn't matter, but after sampling Rogue, Brogue, Dungeonmans, Sproggiwood, ToME4 and the like I'm looking for something besides the semi-standard fantasy premise.

ZapM.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The Qud LP in the other thread is making me want Qud to exist.

e: More specifically, I'm intrigued by the character creation and it seems the interface/gameplay will be way better than Dredmor. I wanted so much to like that game, but couldn't stand it after making a character, after playing games like DoomRL / DCSS.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 27, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Anybody (two anybodies, actually) want to go in $20 on a Cogmind three-pack? We could get it for $20 instead of $30 that way.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

What weapon is Gunrunner usually used with? Shotguns? That seems dangerous.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dross posted:

It only works with shotguns, pistols, rockets, (not counting storm bolter or GCB) and BFGs that aren't the BFG10k. Shotguns and rockets benefit from Shottyman during this, though doing this with rockets is probably not the best idea most of the time.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Dross posted:

It's really fun to do Gunrunner with the SSG against the cyberdemon. It's impossible to get hit unless you do something completely idiotic like stand still.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
This just showed up on my Steam catalog:

The Curious Expedition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/358130/

http://www.curious-expedition.com/

quote:

Curious Expedition is a roguelike expedition simulation set in the late 19th century. Together with famous personalities you will venture on unprecedented expeditions to regions never explored before for fame, science and treasures.

quote:

About This Game

Curious Expedition is a roguelike expedition simulation set in the late 19th century. Together with famous personalities you will venture on unprecedented expeditions to regions never explored before for fame, science and treasures. Put on your pith helmet and khakis and make your way through a lush, procedurally generated world full of wonder and mystery. Now go explore, adventure awaits!

Gameplay overview

Experienceyour very own adventure through a procedural story which makes every game unique.
Explore procedurally generated worlds, each with its own distinctive set of challenges for the ambitious explorer.
Plan and equip your trek. A good explorer is prepared for any eventuality.
Manage your resources to keep your trek alive and sanity high. Balance your needs with the desire to carry all that precious treasure back home.
Visit and interact with the land’s natives. Enter villages, trade and communicate with local tribes and civilizations that are unknown to mankind.
Loot mysterious temple ruins to gain fame and treasures, but watch out for deadly traps and curses that will compromise your trek and the world around you.
Equip and utilize miraculous treasures to gain advantages, but be wary of unforeseeable side effects.
Fight and defend your trek against a wide range of wild animals, mystical creatures and even dinosaurs.

The overland looks like a hex version of Prospector.

RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/22/steam-the-curious-expedition/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Since I've been on a bit of a Roguelike binge the last week or so, I'm looking for suggestions. What are some interesting non-fantasy Roguelikes out there? Stuff like Cataclysm, ArmCom, DoomRL, Invisible Inc, and Caves of Qud. They can be complex or simple, it doesn't matter, but after sampling Rogue, Brogue, Dungeonmans, Sproggiwood, ToME4 and the like I'm looking for something besides the semi-standard fantasy premise.

Prospector is a planet explorer roguelike

http://www.prospector.at/forum/about.php

----

Sproggiwood is 35% off on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/311720/

----

Reposting question

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a roguelike. It was a cyberpunk - warhammer 40K game where you were in a hive city or something. I think it was based on the pen and paper role playing game Dark Heresy. It may not have been finished. Anyone have a clue?

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 27, 2015

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Reposting question

Warp Rogue maybe? Seems very unfinished and development is dead, but at least it starts out in a hive city.

Almost all download links seem to be dead, but I found the sources: http://gentoo.cs.utah.edu/distfiles/wrogue-0.8.0b.zip

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
P.R.I.M.E will do you well on crazy futuristic Roguelike wranglings, especially if you were down with Nethack. Been awhile since the last update, but generally they are big updates as they happen.

http://pesky-reticulans.org/

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

This just showed up on my Steam catalog:

The Curious Expedition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/358130/

http://www.curious-expedition.com/

The overland looks like a hex version of Prospector.

RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/22/steam-the-curious-expedition/

Wasn't this free to play or a demo a while back ago? It was really fun for the short time I played it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Been playing it all of today. I would probably stab someone clean in the eye for a party of 6/7. The 5 that you have is too small to carry everything and it is nigh on impossible to defeat the higher toughness foes in the game.

Game is very fun though, bar a few annoyances like getting stuck when you don't have enough keys to unlock pyramids and some of the starting line ups are just terrible.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Dackel posted:

Wasn't this free to play or a demo a while back ago? It was really fun for the short time I played it.

It was! To both statements.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Pladdicus posted:

It was! To both statements.

Reminded me of Conquistador without the fancy graphics and combat. Felt a lot smoother with overworld too.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Dackel posted:

Reminded me of Conquistador without the fancy graphics and combat. Felt a lot smoother with overworld too.

Feels like a Desktop Dungeons approach to it.

(puzzley, but obviously lots of random elements take away from that comparison)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

dis astranagant posted:

It only works with shotguns, pistols, rockets, (not counting storm bolter or GCB) and BFGs that aren't the BFG10k. Shotguns and rockets benefit from Shottyman during this, though doing this with rockets is probably not the best idea most of the time.

I was thinking more along the lines of barrels/items being uncontrollably blasted if you're firing a shotgun every time you move.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Dross posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of barrels/items being uncontrollably blasted if you're firing a shotgun every time you move.

It only works every time you run by pressing tab. I was confused by this too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Prospector is a planet explorer roguelike

http://www.prospector.at/forum/about.php

----

Sproggiwood is 35% off on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/311720/

----

Reposting question

Prospector is neat, but last time I played it it was extremely crashy and some endgame stuff was bugged to not work.

You can eventually find an ancient alien scout ship, but its stats are all 0 and taking command of it instantly crashes the game.

Oh yeah, and the code that causes planets to eventually flood also works on space stations, so eventually all of the shops and most sources of refueling just get replaced with water tiles and disappear forever.

On the bright side it has pretty good autosave, so when it crashes repeatedly you don't lose much/any progress.

And I had a lot of fun playing around until I got to the point where I could consistently reach the bugged endgame stuff.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 27, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Hey, Sproggiwood Android is live! (Though search indexes haven't updated yet.)

Figured I'd drop the link here first on the down-low, cause you guys are cool peeps who contributed a lot of the testing to Sproggi. :cheers:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freeholdgames.sproggiwood

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Unormal posted:

Hey, Sproggiwood Android is live!
NOW RELEASE CAVES OF QUD

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Desideratus posted:

NOW RELEASE CAVES OF QUD

For the first time ever, I can officially say that's next on the docket, baby. :vince:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Unormal posted:

For the first time ever, I can officially say that's next on the docket, baby. :vince:

Oh man, when's the release date on Qud?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Oh man, when's the release date on Qud?

A few weeks, maybe 4-6? That is a very not-durable date. Depends on both marketing, and how long we leave the guts of it cracked open messing with stuff. We're adding a ton of awesome global encounters right now, and I'm starting to get a hankering to re-do some of the higher end, badly-designed tinkering skills like advanced disassemble, that only serve to make you think 'I guess I should wait to disassemble stuff'. We have some cool ideas for replacement skills.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Put in a sawn off shotgun so I can pretend to be The Road Warrior.

Seriously, though, looking forward to the stuff you just mentioned. Not that I've gotten too far into the game, but more stuff never hurts!

Also how many towns are there? Joppa is obvious and I saw that mushroom place on the map. I'm guessing Grit Gate might be a town (once they let you in) but anywhere else?

My last dude ended up carrying a ton of nuggets and bracelets with nothing to spend them on. Need to find more shops!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Put in a sawn off shotgun so I can pretend to be The Road Warrior.

Seriously, though, looking forward to the stuff you just mentioned. Not that I've gotten too far into the game, but more stuff never hurts!

Also how many towns are there? Joppa is obvious and I saw that mushroom place on the map. I'm guessing Grit Gate might be a town (once they let you in) but anywhere else?

My last dude ended up carrying a ton of nuggets and bracelets with nothing to spend them on. Need to find more shops!

There's 3 towns. Grit Gate and the random misfit mutants town have roughly the same level of equipment to buy. Real gear is found on wandering merchants, in the ruins north of Grit Gate, or especially the Asphalt Mines.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Unormal posted:

A few weeks, maybe 4-6? That is a very not-durable date. Depends on both marketing, and how long we leave the guts of it cracked open messing with stuff. We're adding a ton of awesome global encounters right now, and I'm starting to get a hankering to re-do some of the higher end, badly-designed tinkering skills like advanced disassemble, that only serve to make you think 'I guess I should wait to disassemble stuff'. We have some cool ideas for replacement skills.

Literally CoQ teasing :colbert:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Unormal posted:

Hey, Sproggiwood Android is live! (Though search indexes haven't updated yet.)

Figured I'd drop the link here first on the down-low, cause you guys are cool peeps who contributed a lot of the testing to Sproggi. :cheers:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freeholdgames.sproggiwood

That reminds me, I bought Sproggiwood awhile ago and have still only completed the first dungeon. Maybe I should do a playthrough of it for the megathread.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

That reminds me, I bought Sproggiwood awhile ago and have still only completed the first dungeon. Maybe I should do a playthrough of it for the megathread.

Try it on Savage :D

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

:neckbeard: I need to get back into Qud once I'm done my current DoomRL frenzy for the LPRL thread. I think I still have an axecrab in progress.

(Please tell me that fixing the combat log is on the roadmap.)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
As soon as SteamCoQ comes out I'm gonna waste hours and hours trying to fill out that goddamn wiki again, I know it :negative:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Unormal posted:

Try it on Savage :D

I tried savage difficulty and Im regretting it immensely. I was able to pretty reliably clear normal, but this is painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Dackel posted:

Whoa what, the new Monster Den game is on Kickstarter with only 9 days left?

drat, I loved that game and played it endlessly. Kind of sad that the kickstarter isn't doing too well, and that I only found it by chance.

I recommend the previous Monster Den games, you can find links on their website: http://www.monstrumgames.com/games/
I was just coming to post this since the Kickstarter is languishing, glad to see somebody beat me to the punch. Great series of games, it would be a crime if the Kickstarter didn't make it.