Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I have need needing some U2 talked to me. A friend asked for podcast recommendations the other day and after reflection I realized it is my favorite, and that it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I think we're due for a new U Talking U2 soon. The Lads from Liverpool recently tried to go viral by busking in NYC, The Edge fell off a stage last night, and they're playing 5 nights in L.A. at the end of the month.

As soon as I saw the gif of the edge falling off the edge my immediate thought was "I hope Adam Scott Aukerman is aware of this."

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Hopefully Adam Scott isn't distracted by all the bucco dolores he's making from his Smirnoff Vodka commercials airing during the NBA playoffs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, my favorite episode in a long time. Though it was depressing to hear Besser say that intro questions and one word suggestions was the "old school" way.

I'm all for him letting the show evolve from beyond its ASSSSCAT roots, but having half the show be non comedic content isn't the right way to evolve, whether that's music or a case closed or an interview or a rant. I'll continue liking the show as long as they do good improv, but it's the only show that makes me consistently mash down my skip forward 60 seconds button.

Also, it's been way too long since Ben Schwartz was on. I need more Will Hines in my ears, too.

This year had comedic evolving contents in there as well. There was the trilogy thing and the whiplash episode.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

my immediate thought was "I hope Adam Scott Aukerman is aware of this."

I also think we should tweet it at him, just in case nobody has.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Hopefully Adam Scott isn't distracted by all the bucco dolores he's making from his Smirnoff Vodka commercials airing during the NBA playoffs.

I like the idea of Dot Com, Annie Edison, and Ben Wyatt hanging out together, so I am happy you told me about these.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Neil Flynn not realizing Besser was starting a improv scene in this weeks I4H is pretty good.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
I really enjoyed his "lactose intolerant guy who complains about being on the moon" character.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Gotta say my favorite was the dots or feathers sketch. It went in some interesting directions.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The Lapskast is taken over by the Wild Horses again, for anyone who's unsubscribed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Lapskast is taken over by the Wild Horses again, for anyone who's unsubscribed.

Somehow I missed that the first time around. Both episodes were great. It makes me want an I4H with guest hosts and no Besser in sight - though I really liked I4H this week too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Poor Besser, getting muscled out of his own show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Poor Besser, getting muscled out of his own show.

Well he muscles everyone else out of scenes so

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Who would start every scene as an authority figure demanding answers if Matt Besser was absent though...

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Who would start every scene as an authority figure demanding answers if Matt Besser was absent though...

Oh drat..

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Engineer Rashid is a star in the making.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

drat it's true

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's my number 1 complaint about the show. Above even music episodes.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

What were some of the best episodes of HH recently? I think I'm coming around on them.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

What were some of the best episodes of HH recently? I think I'm coming around on them.

I dunno what the most recent one you've listened to is but some from the past 20 or so that I really liked were

66 - Paul F Tompkins
67 - Jes Macallan - No one ever mentions this one but it's one of the ones I've relistened to the most.
68 - Erin Gibson - Erin teaches Sean and Hayes about feminism
70 - Seth Morris - Sean and Hayes launch the Wolfcool network with Seth Morris' podcast about thanksgiving
74 - Kumail Nanjiani - They make a video game with Kumail voicing the protagonist (This one is really good)
75 - Shelby Fero - Sean/Hayes/Shelby do cigarettes live on air

All the recent ones with Mary Holland/Neil Casey/Nick Kroll/Jon Gabrus all owned too, and there was the best of episode last week but I guess you've probably heard that. To be honest I don't think they really have bad episodes often. Sometimes the segment at the start before the guest can be weak, like I wasn't really into the pilot thing they did for a few episodes a while back. (The only really bad episode is probably the Pauly Shore one which is still funny in a trainwreck kind of way)

I think they do a better job now of getting guests that get their characters, or maybe they explain it before the show or something. I dunno, people generally seem more willing to play along than in some of the earlier episodes

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 27, 2015

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

The PFT one where they make fun of CBB games and riddle me this is amazing.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i'd also recommend the betsy sodaro episode because i love when a seasoned, professional improviser comes in and has a hard time keeping it together with how crazy sean and hayes get.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Help Im Alive posted:

70 - Seth Morris - Sean and Hayes launch the Wolfcool network with Seth Morris' podcast about thanksgiving

This one is one of my favorites, because of how layered/ridiculous it gets cutting between Hollywood Handbook and Talkin' Turkey. Especially toward the end, when they start losing track themselves.

quote:

Sometimes the segment at the start before the guest can be weak, like I wasn't really into the pilot thing they did for a few episodes a while back. (The only really bad episode is probably the Pauly Shore one which is still funny in a trainwreck kind of way)

I didn't care for the pilot thing at first, but I came around on it as it kept building and spiraling farther and farther away from where they started as the weeks went on. Once it hit very sick Batkid struggles with a small dog in a Camry, everything was landing. The Pauly Shore episode really is painful to listen to - as this thread, among many, many others, agreed - but it's kind of necessary simply as a point of reference.

Squinty Applebottom posted:

The PFT one where they make fun of CBB games and riddle me this is amazing.

See also: the Our Engineers episode where they "play" Would You Rather and What Am I Thinking, then grill Brett, Sam and Cody about how and why these games make CBB the "big" show.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

JethroMcB posted:

This one is one of my favorites, because of how layered/ridiculous it gets cutting between Hollywood Handbook and Talkin' Turkey. Especially toward the end, when they start losing track themselves.
"Again, I just really want to say I'm sorry for the racist jamaican portrayals in that previous clip. It's a shame."
*beep*
BAAPPA BAPPA BAAA AYYY 'EAR ME NOW MAN SMOKIN DA REEFER

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the extended bit of them not knowing how to work a computer in the grace helbig episode is also very good, though not particularly recent

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Listen to this episode of I4H if you want to hear old people ask and discuss what shipping is.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

mr.capps posted:

Listen to this episode of I4H if you want to hear old people ask and discuss what shipping is.

But they also later talk to the Trumpet Guy, so anything nice about this episode is invalidated.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Look man, that guy can levitate.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SpacePig posted:

But they also later talk to the Trumpet Guy, so anything nice about this episode is invalidated.

I thought all the scenes were great, actually. I just had to hit skip forward 60 seconds about 30 times in a row every time I heard trumpet guy's voice, and also through Besser complaining about some rando talking poo poo about UCB.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really don't understand Besser's obsession with Trumpet Guy, besides being in a youtube video he is a pretty typical hippie.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The trumpet video was really popular so I think Besser was just trying to latch onto him to get some publicity for I4H. IIRC in that first episode where trumpet guy called in Besser kept saying he should do a regular man on the street segment for I4H

I feel kinda bad for the guy because every time he calls in you can hear the improvisors trying not to laugh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I went on his website and there is a miracle puppy named Daniel.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Wasn't there a Sean Clements I4H scene about Daniel?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
you see my father...you know, he was a lawyer. He was a laywer way back during JFK. And as you know, we mentioned, I met JFK and shook his hand. I believe we talked about this the last time we talked? My father was a lawyer for the senate going back 20 years experience
fuuuuuck just get to the point

e: despite trumpet guy though this ep was loving solid. Secret nazi group and apes ruled

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 28, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Help Im Alive posted:

The trumpet video was really popular so I think Besser was just trying to latch onto him to get some publicity for I4H.

Yeah nothing will get I4H major downloads like latching onto a weird video that went viral but not have any identifying traits beyond googling "weird trumpet guy rant."

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
You know, for all of Doug's rambling and constant name dropping, I thought he was being reasonable up to the point when he claimed he can loving levitate

I also enjoyed this particular Case Closed since it is a discussion between Besser and the guests instead the usual Besser yelling at a guy over Skype while the guests shuts up for 20 minutes

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah this case closed worked because it was improv guys talking about improv (well kinda, the community for sure). I mean if you don't like case close because it takes time away from the scenes, this won't fix that, but I always enjoy I4H when they have discussions about improv itself.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

soggybagel posted:

Yeah nothing will get I4H major downloads like latching onto a weird video that went viral but not have any identifying traits beyond googling "weird trumpet guy rant."

Yeah, I think Besser just connects with this crazy trumpet man on some deep, weird level. He's definitely entertained by what Doug has to say but he also doesn't treat him like he's simply a walking punchline. I had to fast-forward through the entire thing, though, I can't handle that dude.

Also in agreement with saying that this Case Closed worked because it was 3 level-headed people walking Besser through his anger instead of just letting him yell over someone and declaring himself the winner. Kudos to Joe Wengert for very tentatively suggesting "Have you tried reaching out to this person in a...non-public way?" You know, like a rational human being would do.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Yeah I know but the man on the street segment he was trying to get doug to do was basically "go out and yell at more people playing instruments in public and we'll record it"

I don't know though, maybe I'm wrong and Besser just loves him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know though, maybe I'm wrong and Besser just loves him.

I think he identifies with him, I can imagine if Matt's life had gone a bit differently he'd be screaming at trumpet players on the street too.