Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Astro Nut posted:

Well, Todoroki's name DOES have characters for 'burned' and 'freezing', so I wouldn't be surprised if all his siblings share the same name, but with different readings.

Since he's an rear end in a top hat (the biggest) he probably quirk-screened all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Jintor posted:

Yeah but they're on like their 5th generation of quirks. Someone in-universe has probably noticed by now and is attempting to mould kids via names.

"Quirks" is also probably the best name for powers that isn't powers that I've seen so far.

Given that the broad strokes of quirk inheritance are definitely known, most people just look at their quirk, their partner's quirk and see if they can cover both with one name.

If not, well then it gets a little guessy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fabricated posted:

I kinda prefer just watching characters grow/change more naturally than suddenly going ~2 years later!~ and now we have to re-introduce everyone and their stupid new designs and their new powers. And then do the stupid "Here's some dudes who would've been tough before but are now mooks for the goodguys to trounce to let you know, man they've really gotten strong!" poo poo before you conjure more powerful badguys that they'll have to struggle with...which means nothing has really changed.

When you know, could've just not done the loving timeskip in the first place and figured out how to pace your story better.

It's not really about pacing though, because good time skips change the entire world as well as the characters in a variety of ways. One Piece for instance didn't just use it to advance the main cast through lots of training, but to have the setting change in significant ways. The World Government elected new leaders and reorganized itself in a number of minor ways, with Smoker's squadron relocating to the other side of the Red Line because of changes in the way they needed to combat new criminal trends. Blackbeard consolidated power and became one of the new Pirate Emperors. Law became a Shichibukai and so on. All of that was necessary to the story to move forward, but none of it was really something we needed to watch in progress because the interesting thing is that it happened, now how it happened.

Sure, Oda could have had several arcs ending with the cast finding out how Blackbeard had beaten this or that major pirate to become ever more powerful before he's declared an Emperor, but there's no need to because none of those steps is important or interesting in and of itself - only the end result.

And personally, I'd prefer to have a story where the cast have to go away for two years and train to become powerful and be able to take on stronger foes than to just have them get naturally stronger over time without actually specifically training for it or really doing any kind of hard work towards that goal, because it makes every following enemy, including the ones they just chumped seem stronger than if they'd just gotten stronger over time without ever having to train specifically for it. I get why you hate them and don't disagree that they could be faults, but every single reason you just listed to dislike them is a reason why I personally do like them regardless.

Bad Seafood posted:

Let's take a break from Deku though to talk about All Might. All Might who's got it all. He's big and strong and charismatic and cool and always there to save the day. In theory, anyway. There's actually quite a few times he isn't, due to his deteriorating health (which makes sense). Beyond being physically incapacitated however, he's also shown to be skittish around people discovering his secret. As the world's No. 1 hero, the Symbol of Peace, he can't allow himself to be seen in such a state. What would people think? What would they believe in? As such, he's afraid to exhibit weakness. It's when he's most scared that he laughs, after all.

I think he might be skittish about people discovering his secret because it's a massive loving secret, not because it's a fault inherent to him personally. Once that secret is out there is no way to put it back in the bottle and it being out affects not just him, but every single one of his successors at the very least. It also makes it harder for him to find said successors, because if it was out there then people would be lining up to show how they deserve to inherit and he'd no longer be able to just find sincere people like Deku who earn it by nature of their personality rather than pushing to earn it. Neither he nor Deku really have the right to reveal it, not without a lot of forethought at the very least because it affects their successors so much. And that's presumably one of the main reasons he's so careful with the secret and nervous about it becoming public.

Additionally, All Might didn't have to worry about being seen as weak in his normal form for a long time from what we know, because he didn't have health issues which meant he had to switch to it at inopportune times - it's only recently that it's begun to affect him, and he's not worried about being seen weak for his own sake or because his fans would think less of him from what we gather, he's worried about being seen as weak because it'll dispel the veil of invulnerability he has to him at the moment and cause villains to attack him en masse until he does fall. Which is a very real threat. If the world found out that he couldn't hold his All Might form for more than a few minutes total then villains would attack continuously until he fell and there'd be more people hurt than otherwise in his absence because Deku isn't ready to take his full power yet.

Nothing we've seen would indicate that he was so nervous about it in the past given that all of it is predicated on health issues and he didn't have those concerns in the past. Deku is very unlikely to have such problems in the future, else he won't surpass All Might. He could keep a modest figure, mentally as well as physically, but personally I hope he doesn't. Not only would it mean that his burgeoning powers have no effect on him and his character doesn't actually grow based on his circumstances, but I'd find it more boring as well. I'd prefer to see a story where the hero gets more confident and self assured to the point that he's not afraid to be boisterous and kind of silly in public, rather than to see him remain a bit of a self-conscious nerd, the picture of humility despite a massive growth in just about every personal circumstance.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 26, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe I'm mis-remembering something but I just kind of assumed that All Might having two forms was a direct result of his health issues, not something that he's had going on the whole time. All Skeleton (love that by the way, whoever it was who said it first) being kind of a new thing and the old All Might a front he now puts up to cover it (the mechanics of which worked in my mind like a really elaborate muscle flex pose or something, I dunno). I guess there's no reason he couldn't have always had a "street" form and a "hero" form and that leaves the potential for Midoriya to also develop that ability but it seems a little unnecessary IMO.

I also like Midoriya being the seemly-slight yet secretly-built underdog and don't really want him to end up with a big heroic swelled-up physique (or attitude). I anticipate him eventually wanting to get out of All Might's shadow and develop his own heroic image and see a lot of parallels between him/All Might and Todoroki/Endeavor that I hope get expounded on more.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everything Burrito posted:

I also like Midoriya being the seemly-slight yet secretly-built underdog and don't really want him to end up with a big heroic swelled-up physique (or attitude). I anticipate him eventually wanting to get out of All Might's shadow and develop his own heroic image and see a lot of parallels between him/All Might and Todoroki/Endeavor that I hope get expounded on more.

I don't really see how those parallels can develop much past what they already are given that All Might doesn't push Deku to develop in specific ways or to adopt specific attitudes. He encourages him to do so instead, talking to him on a much more human and personal level than Endeavor does to Todoroki and trying to explain why he feels those things would be a good idea. The difference in attitude is so stark that it's really kind of impossible for Deku to feel like All Might is trying to mould Deku in ways he doesn't like, at least, not without Deku becoming kind of a whiny poo poo himself.

Not to mention that it's kind of impossible for it to happen physically, because as All Might himself explained, the more Deku's power grows the more his own power diminishes. By the time Deku is becoming a really big hero, All Might will basically be gone from the public eye entirely so Deku will be free to develop his own image as he sees fit. This isn't the case with Endeavor, who will continue to exist and operate at his own level of power regardless of how Todoroki grows and Todoroki is going to have to confront him verbally (and possibly physically) to get over their issues, rather than just continue to try to avoid him and his past.

The parallels with Todoroki are and basically always will be an inverse thing, where Deku and All Might have the healthy and positive relationship that Todoroki probably only dreams of having with a different father because his own hosed him up so much.

Also, while you can be as strong as All Might and be an underdog in specific circumstance as Bad Seafood pointed out, because someone has planned a trap against you based on knowledge of your weaknesses or whatever, you can't really be the underdog in general if you're that strong relative to everyone else. Even then, that's really more of a case of being at a disadvantage than being an underdog. Being somewhat thin and unassuming looking doesn't make you an underdog if you're one of the strongest men in the world despite that appearance.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 26, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

tsob posted:

I think he might be skittish about people discovering his secret because it's a massive loving secret, not because it's a fault inherent to him personally. Once that secret is out there is no way to put it back in the bottle and it being out affects not just him, but every single one of his successors at the very least. It also makes it harder for him to find said successors, because if it was out there then people would be lining up to show how they deserve to inherit and he'd no longer be able to just find sincere people like Deku who earn it by nature of their personality rather than pushing to earn it. Neither he nor Deku really have the right to reveal it, not without a lot of forethought at the very least because it affects their successors so much. And that's presumably one of the main reasons he's so careful with the secret and nervous about it becoming public.
Except that his weakness could easily be attributed to his wound rather than the passing of power. Something was killing All Might long before he ever stumbled upon Deku as a possible successor.

There are very real physical, material ramifications to All Might's secret becoming public, yes. If the villains knew the truth they would swarm him. If they had known the truth, back during the Space Jam arc, they might have even hung around longer just to finish him off - even if it had meant their lives. At the same time, however, there are thematic considerations. In the very first chapter, All Might briefly allows hiding his weakness to take priority over saving someone. Deku, meanwhile, puny and powerless, throws himself into the fray to save his friend. His "Friend" who hates him and bullies him and makes his life awful. Although there are certainly factors beyond each character's control which dictate their decisions, thematically we have a character who is held back by his weaknesses and a character who isn't. This becomes something of a recurrent motif as the comic goes on as Deku consistently aids others with no concern for his own well-being, often times in ways that highlight his limitations. He's got one shot during the entrance exam, after which he's virtually useless. He uses it to save Ochako from a zero-point target before falling to his death (or would, if Ochako hadn't saved him). It's in his best interest to defeat Todoroki as soon as possible since he can only take so much, but he pushes himself to his very real and observable limits in the interest of coaxing his opponent out of his shell. It was immediately obvious to everyone in the audience who'd win that war of attrition.

All Might allows his weaknesses to dictate what he can or can't do, whereas Deku doesn't. Of course All Might isn't shallow. He's practical. There's nothing he can do, or so he thinks. What's more, he's got to consider the bigger picture, being the Symbol of Peace to all of mankind. Even so, you've a clear division between a character who allows reality to hold him back from doing the right thing and a character who does the right thing in spite of his reality. Call if a hunch, but I think Deku's selflessness above and beyond the call of duty will be one of the things to distinguish him as a hero in his own right,beyond just being All Might's protegee.

tsob posted:

He could keep a modest figure, mentally as well as physically, but personally I hope he doesn't. Not only would it mean that his burgeoning powers have no effect on him and his character doesn't actually grow based on his circumstances
Characters can exhibit growth without radically altering their appearance and personality.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bad Seafood posted:

All Might allows his weaknesses to dictate what he can or can't do, whereas Deku doesn't. Of course All Might isn't shallow. He's practical. There's nothing he can do, or so he thinks. What's more, he's got to consider the bigger picture, being the Symbol of Peace to all of mankind. Even so, you've a clear division between a character who allows reality to hold him back from doing the right thing and a character who does the right thing in spite of his reality. Call if a hunch, but I think Deku's selflessness above and beyond the call of duty will be one of the things to distinguish him as a hero in his own right,beyond just being All Might's protegee.

One of the main take-aways for Deku from his fight against Todoroki was that he has to stop pushing himself so hard that he fucks himself up in the process and he needs to start being more practical regarding his powers in the future if he wants to have any kind of future at all. Something both he and All Might appeared to recognize when the nurse was explaining it to Deku. If he's already reaching the point where he has to start considering himself instead of others, at least in terms of being more cautious about use of his powers then I don't see how it's any different than All Might having to be practical and weigh the lives of citizens against personal risk. His decision was bigger than Dekus, but then, so was the personal risk given the whole All Might image he has to worry about.

Bad Seafood posted:

Characters can exhibit growth without radically altering their appearance and personality.

If you get Superman or All Might's powers and it doesn't radically affect the way you think and act then there's something wrong with you. Deku not becoming a much more confident, assertive and boisterous person would, to me, seem unnatural no matter how nerdy and modest he is at the moment because those things are built as much upon experience and how the world reacts to you as to any personal traits. You can't have all that power and win a lot without becoming more confident, you can't have decisions and lives resting upon you for an extended period without becoming more assertive (or just ducking out), you can't face death and survive on a continual basis without becoming affected by it in one way or another and so on.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya becoming super-swole mini-AllMight or transforming into that would be kinda weird IMO. I kinda hope Horikoshi comes up with an interesting look for him when he finally starts using his power right.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Midoriya being really strong/fit, one thing that always seemed kind of odd to me was how he placed last in Eraserhead's tests during their first class. It seems like he would have been at least on par with the other students, particularly considering that he did use his quirk to excel in one of the events. At the very least, it certainly makes no sense for him to have placed below grape boy.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Midoriya being really strong/fit, one thing that always seemed kind of odd to me was how he placed last in Eraserhead's tests during their first class. It seems like he would have been at least on par with the other students, particularly considering that he did use his quirk to excel in one of the events. At the very least, it certainly makes no sense for him to have placed below grape boy.

Grape Boy probably managed to figure out how to use his quirk to his benefit in some of the tests.. somehow.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Wolpertinger posted:

Grape Boy probably managed to figure out how to use his quirk to his benefit in some of the tests.. somehow.

There's a pannel of him doing hella fast sidehops by having put a bunch of his orbs in a pile on each side and bouncing between them.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I bet he did great in the foot race too, because that event was done entirely in pairs. If he used an orb to cling to a faster student, he'd get a good time too.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I can see Midoriya (MY BOY!) getting to disguise as All Might for a crucial moment, to keep the idea of the Symbol of Peace alive for a scant few seconds before All Skel dies.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Deku will need to hit the gym then. I always got the impression that All Might's muscle bound from is what he legit looked like and he can return to his true form instead of looking half dead from injury. It wouldn't really be consistent if the Quirk just made Deku into the Hulk. I mean, it's kept vague enough that he could write it that way but considering the opposition he got to All Might's design in the fist place I doubt it.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Is All Skel constantly smiling like All Might or not? I can't quite tell.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Prison Warden posted:

Deku will need to hit the gym then. I always got the impression that All Might's muscle bound from is what he legit looked like and he can return to his true form instead of looking half dead from injury. It wouldn't really be consistent if the Quirk just made Deku into the Hulk. I mean, it's kept vague enough that he could write it that way but considering the opposition he got to All Might's design in the fist place I doubt it.

How would it work exactly, given that we know that All Might has no quirk. Did the injury itself grant him the power to morph in to All Skel for some reason?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

tsob posted:

How would it work exactly, given that we know that All Might has no quirk. Did the injury itself grant him the power to morph in to All Skel for some reason?

It's not rocket science. His muscle-bound form is how he originally looked, in his prime with his full power. His skeletal form is how he really looks after being hosed up bad and losing several of his organs. He can use the power of One For All to temporarily restore his health and thus form.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

Dude was almost crippled with pain after breaking his finger. That tends to affect your performance.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

It's not rocket science. His muscle-bound form is how he originally looked, in his prime with his full power. His skeletal form is how he really looks after being hosed up bad and losing several of his organs. He can use the power of One For All to temporarily restore his health and thus form.

You're wrong, his emaciated form is his true form.

E: if you've ever looked you can see that one for all pumps up his muscles even more when Deku uses it. So i think his muscle form is basically All Might using a balanced application of the power.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 27, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Elfgames posted:

You're wrong, his emaciated form is his true form.

E: if you've ever looked you can see that one for all pumps up his muscles even more when Deku uses it. So i think his muscle form is basically All Might using a balanced application of the power.

That probably just refers to the fact that it's his true form now that he's injured.

Though he could very well have transformed before too, just without a time limit and without being so emaciated normally.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

That probably just refers to the fact that it's his true form now that he's injured.

That was how I read that too

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
If All Might's true form is All Skel, then One For All is pumping up his muscles. This makes sense to me. It does sound like emaciated form wasn't always so emaciated.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
When All Might dies and comes back to life as an actual skeleton I elect we call him Skull Might

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

TriffTshngo posted:

When All Might dies and comes back to life as an actual skeleton I elect we call him Skull Might

Then who is Guts? Fumikage is obvs Griffith.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

If All Might's true form is All Skel, then One For All is pumping up his muscles. This makes sense to me. It does sound like emaciated form wasn't always so emaciated.

It says right there that it's his pride in being the symbol of peace that pumps his body up, so if Deku does not become the symbol of peace his body won't pump up, simple! :v:

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I enjoy that the symbol of peace is a dude who can fire 500 punches in less than 5 seconds (or whatever he needed to completely overload brain-shark's quirk)

Mr Hands was right, monopoly of violence

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Chapter 44 for those who know Chinese

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Bakugou confirmed for best character.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Uraraka's mom pushing her eye back into her face...

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh man he's so angry. :allears:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I seriously don't think there's a single panel in that chapter where Bakugou doesn't look where he wants to kill literally all of the things.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Good chapter; and great development of the characters based on the translation I just read.

BARS.

The important bits are:
All Might tells Tokoyami he did great, but recommends he train his body so he doesn't have to lean so heavily on his quirk.

He asks Todoroki why he didn't use his fire in the final match. Todoroki flat out says that his mind has been a mess since fighting Midoriya. He says that he understands why All Might has taken Midoriya under his wing, and that he realizes that he wants to be a great hero- and that there's more to it than just saying you going to do it.

He tries to congratulate Bakugou, Bakugou declares the medal worthless.

Iida's brother apologies to Iida for being defeated by a villain; he apparently would've died if he had received treatment 2 minutes late.

Todoroki decides to visit his mom.

Uraraka's parents come home from work to greet her.

Midoriya's mom talks about how many times she fainted. Midoriya thinks about how he keeps making everyone he cares about worry for him. He decides he has to find a way to fight without killing himself before he can ever declare "I'm here."

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 28, 2015

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I love how All Might gave each runner up a big ol' hug. :3:

He would have probably done the same to Bakugou if he wasn't so angry.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bakugou was still biting on his medal when he got back in the classroom. :allears:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

:mediocre:

tsob posted:

One of the main take-aways for Deku from his fight against Todoroki was that he has to stop pushing himself so hard that he fucks himself up in the process and he needs to start being more practical regarding his powers in the future if he wants to have any kind of future at all. Something both he and All Might appeared to recognize when the nurse was explaining it to Deku. If he's already reaching the point where he has to start considering himself instead of others, at least in terms of being more cautious about use of his powers then I don't see how it's any different than All Might having to be practical and weigh the lives of citizens against personal risk. His decision was bigger than Dekus, but then, so was the personal risk given the whole All Might image he has to worry about.
Indeed. I argued something similar just prior to the tournament.

It's a compelling conflict of interest. A hero should be selfless. Deku is selfless. That's good. Even when the chips are down and the odds are against him, he's selfless. What a guy. But his selflessness borders on a reckless disregard for his own safety. That's bad. It could get him killed one day. It's already almost gotten him killed several times. And yet, it was Deku's suicidal cavalry charge to save Bakugou (which he had no hope of actually pulling off) that convinced All Might he had found his successor. Those same qualities that could be his undoing were very clearly, very unambiguously the reasons he was selected. He should be less reckless, and I believe with time and training he'll get there, but I also believe he'll always be the kind of person to put others first - even at great personal cost. It's who he is and what he does.

That said, there's a recurring motif of Deku "Failing" to meet expectations publicly, only to secretly meet them in some other fashion. He risked his life foolishly to save Bakugou, nearly died, and was declared All Might's successor. He blew his one shot at the entrance exam, or so he thought, only to be accepted on the basis of his having saved another student. All Might saw the sports festival as a way to announce his successor by way of a demonstration of strength and physical prowess. Deku lost, only to prove himself All Might's successor in another way: "Saving" Todoroki (though he's still a work in progress).

Deku has routinely displayed strength the casual observer might mistake for weakness, and intelligence some would say was stupid. He's not much to look at, but houses great power. We're still pretty early on in the series, but I wouldn't be surprised if this theme is here to stay.

tsob posted:

If you get Superman or All Might's powers and it doesn't radically affect the way you think and act then there's something wrong with you. Deku not becoming a much more confident, assertive and boisterous person would, to me, seem unnatural no matter how nerdy and modest he is at the moment because those things are built as much upon experience and how the world reacts to you as to any personal traits. You can't have all that power and win a lot without becoming more confident, you can't have decisions and lives resting upon you for an extended period without becoming more assertive (or just ducking out), you can't face death and survive on a continual basis without becoming affected by it in one way or another and so on.
It is entirely possible for characters to grow without sacrificing who they are as people. You seem to want a Deku who isn't even recognizably Deku anymore. I want to see Deku become confident and assertive, but I don't think it's out of the question for him to retain his homegrown humility and generally modest demeanor. These aren't mutually exclusive traits to possess any more than, say, being crass while also cultured, or tough yet highly emotional.

At the end of the day though, both of us are probably wasting our time speculating the end game of a Weekly Shounen Jump serial publication.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 29, 2015

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Kyte posted:

Oh man he's so angry. :allears:

He wants to be the best, and these goddamned scrubs keep half rear end'ing it. How can he prove that he's BETTER then everybody, if everybody else does not TRY.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Bad Seafood posted:

:mediocre:
Indeed. I argued something similar just prior to the tournament.

It's a compelling conflict of interest. A hero should be selfless. Deku is selfless. That's good. Even when the chips are down and the odds are against him, he's selfless. What a guy. But his selflessness borders on a reckless disregard for his own safety. That's bad. It could get him killed one day. It's already almost gotten him killed several times. And yet, it was Deku's suicidal cavalry charge to save Bakugou (which he had no hope of actually pulling off) that convinced All Might he had found his successor. Those same qualities that could be his undoing were very clearly, very unambiguously the reasons he was selected. He should be less reckless, and I believe with time and training he'll get there, but I also believe he'll always be the kind of person to put others first - even at great personal cost. It's who he is and what he does.

That said, there's a recurring motif of Deku "Failing" to meet expectations publicly, only to secretly meet them in some other fashion. He risked his life foolishly to save Bakugou, nearly died, and was declared All Might's successor. He blew his one shot at the entrance exam, or so he thought, only to be accepted on the basis of his having saved another student. All Might saw the sports festival as a way to announce his successor by way of a demonstration of strength and physical prowess. Deku lost, only to prove himself All Might's successor in another way: "Saving" Todoroki (though he's still a work in progress).

Deku has routinely displayed strength the casual observer might mistake for weakness, and intelligence some would say was stupid. He's not much to look at, but houses great power. We're still pretty early on in the series, but I wouldn't be surprised if this theme is here to stay.
So basically, My Hero Academia is UBW 2.0. Got it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bakugou will use that drive to become the de facto successor to All Might and the world's greatest hero and he will still be pissed off about that time Deku saved him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Twiddy posted:

So basically, My Hero Academia is UBW 2.0. Got it.
Is it good?

I've been meaning to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Bad Seafood posted:

Is it good?

I've been meaning to watch it.
People like it a lot in general. The Something Awful thread has a lot of back and forth comparing it to Fate/Zero (I really can't come off as looking good considering how often I seem to put myself in those fights lately). In any case, the similarities are somewhat superficial in that the themes you took are core superhero themes and the protagonists of both works (Shirou in UBW and Deku in My Hero Academia, so far at least) embody the selfless hero ideal. The main reason I made the comment was your last line, "Deku has routinely displayed strength the casual observer might mistake for weakness, and intelligence some would say was stupid."

EDIT: Also I just looked over the post and realized how impartial I tried to be since I'm a fan of the works in general. Yes you should watch it, it's fantastic!

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 29, 2015