Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Been running with my B- and C-squads for so long, I forgot what it was like to use an actually damaging limit break.

Just put Cloud in for a Vanile run, and man does Braver take a lot of pressure off of how honed your abilities need to be. Slightly better than Double Jump, the saddest limit break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

I've been thinking about creating a New Player Flowchart/Checklist, for the suggested order of doing stuff.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

E: Beaten like a government mule!

Minrad posted:

Installed this today, game seems cool, and it all makes more sense to me than when I tried the various puzzles and dragons clones.

Should I be gunning to unlock Lenna and the ff13 girl before their event ends?

Yeah, you shouldn't have much trouble doing so even on the lower difficulties.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

wall monitor posted:

I've been thinking about creating a New Player Flowchart/Checklist, for the suggested order of doing stuff.

I'd imagine getting Rydia is up there in terms of "things that will be very near the top of it". She's more Black Mage than White Mage but I'm positive Classic doesn't give you an actual great White Mage until the next dungeon update.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
Man, gently caress the slot machine in this game. I know it is there to encourage people spending real money, but this poo poo is brutal. Finished my second 50 mythril pull and only got a single 4 star item. I think that is what is really killing me. I don't expect to be showered with 5 stars, but I am just hitting a patch where the story battles are getting insanely ripped and my team of 32-35 guys can no longer make good headway, and so the game is just turning into a slog.

I seriously hope the FF XIII stuff is crazy over tuned because if it is going to continue being this obnoxious to progress I may just stop. Trying to ram my way forward in a series of 3 star daggers and armor is no longer cutting it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

Man, gently caress the slot machine in this game. I know it is there to encourage people spending real money, but this poo poo is brutal. Finished my second 50 mythril pull and only got a single 4 star item. I think that is what is really killing me. I don't expect to be showered with 5 stars, but I am just hitting a patch where the story battles are getting insanely ripped and my team of 32-35 guys can no longer make good headway, and so the game is just turning into a slog.

I seriously hope the FF XIII stuff is crazy over tuned because if it is going to continue being this obnoxious to progress I may just stop. Trying to ram my way forward in a series of 3 star daggers and armor is no longer cutting it.

Don't discount realm synergy for equipment. A synergized 3-star is almost as good as a 5 star.

I felt the same way, all of my guys were mid 30s and elites were kicking my rear end. I started just focusing on dailies and events and now that they're all approaching 50, the elites are a lot more manageable, and all the farming has ended up giving me a huge selection of honed abilities to take with me.

Granted, I've been playing with pretty much the same party since the end of the Aerith event and I'm just now averaging 45 for my party. I can't imagine grinding up all these other characters to 50.

VVVVVVVV :stare:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 28, 2015

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Started playing this a few days ago, grabbed Lenna and Vanille and have been grinding my way through the story dungeons. Just did my first 11 pull with mythril and got 4 5*s, including Vanille's rod, the genki armor, the fists and a blitz sword. It's all downhill from here right?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

PFlats posted:

Been running with my B- and C-squads for so long, I forgot what it was like to use an actually damaging limit break.

Just put Cloud in for a Vanile run, and man does Braver take a lot of pressure off of how honed your abilities need to be. Slightly better than Double Jump, the saddest limit break.

What's the deal with Double Jump anyhow? Regular jump does more damage for me.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

kain should pogo off the enemy the first hit of double jump and do a second hit. it still wouldn't do 9999 damage.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Gibbo posted:

It A) does less damage than the actual Jump ability, and B) doesn't even count as a Jump attack for the purposes of Barbariccia's bonus. It really is the saddest limit.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Gibbo posted:

Double Jump is 1.4x damage while the skill Jump is 2x damage

Zurai posted:

damage multiplier info from this spreadsheet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Japan also got a wind-based jump and some 4 star jump attack that's only 2.5x instead of 2.5x though I'm not sure why anyone would be insane enough to waste orbs on the 4 star jump unless they really love dragoons.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

dragoons are one of my favorite classes but kain is very shameful in this.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Dammit, accidentally bought one too many Greater Dark Orbs. That's like 7 3* Non-elemental orbs.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Japan also got a wind-based jump and some 4 star jump attack that's only 2.5x instead of 2.5x though I'm not sure why anyone would be insane enough to waste orbs on the 4 star jump unless they really love dragoons.

It's the most damaging physical ability which doesn't also hurt the user against enemies with no vulnerabilities (or vulnerability to earth, holy, or poison, which can't be exploited by physical abilities so far). Bonecrusher hits harder, but it also takes 25% of your max health with it. And Gilgamesh can use 4* dragoon abilities, so there's one actual useful character who can use it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

baram. posted:

No poo poo. He's the only fighter I've got with a legit 4* weapon and at 45, a level 34 Snow is outdamaging and out-tanking him. He's even got a Genji Shield (arguably the worst Genji in the worst slot) and he's still a squishy piece of poo poo.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

baram. posted:

How badly do you think he is going to get outclassed by Freya.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I suppose the value is supposed to be in getting him out of combat for a half turn or so, but it's always seemed to hard to time properly to be useful.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It really doesn't feel like they thought this through entirely. Gimmick bosses where you have to beat the limbs to damage them are common in FF sure. On hardmode Anima regens those turbine things in like a second. You can't even really queue up more than one attack in preperation or else you attack it automatically and just get countered. So the only real option is to just deal with a long fight full of counters, just hoping it doesn't spam the party-wide lightning attack constantly.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nuebot posted:

It really doesn't feel like they thought this through entirely. Gimmick bosses where you have to beat the limbs to damage them are common in FF sure. On hardmode Anima regens those turbine things in like a second. You can't even really queue up more than one attack in preperation or else you attack it automatically and just get countered. So the only real option is to just deal with a long fight full of counters, just hoping it doesn't spam the party-wide lightning attack constantly.

Zurai posted:

Kill one arm. Hit the main body once. Retaliate it to death. The End.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I cannot get past Heroic mode Anima. Cannot. Level 50 players, 5* weapons/armor, some great honed abilities. I even popped a mythril before my first, -first-, Anima fight and got destroyed. I essentially had Aeris on healing duties too.

^^^ Well, I suppose I should try that, but it seems cheap. ^^^

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I really haven't noticed any difference between one arm or two. It still uses the electric attack, it just doesn't use it twice in a row. Which makes no difference if it decides to just throw it around as much as it wants. Not everyone has retaliate either.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Get used to it. It's still one of the better ways to kill counterattack bosses in Japan (not anywhere close to the best way to kill non-counterattack bosses, though).

Nuebot posted:

I really haven't noticed any difference between one arm or two. It still uses the electric attack, it just doesn't use it twice in a row. Which makes no difference if it decides to just throw it around as much as it wants. Not everyone has retaliate either.

Cutting down its available offensive turns by half significantly reduces the damage you take, even if you aren't using Retaliate.

Retaliate is cheap to craft and hone. It's a really good idea to make it because it's the best way to handle bosses which counterattack.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 28, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I suppose the value is supposed to be in getting him out of combat for a half turn or so, but it's always seemed to hard to time properly to be useful.

Jump also counts as a ranged attack, which means Kain can hit gimmick bosses like the ones in the Sephiroth event and fight in the back row.

He's not a great character but given that he's one of the first you unlock by default I don't think he's terrible or anything. If he had an additional skill like Spellblade or Support, or Double Jump actually did twice the damage of Jump, he'd be fine.

Oh, speaking of backrow physical attacks, what's up with Throw? Can anyone in the US version other than Tyro use Ninja skills yet? Can anyone in JAPAN other than the generic Ninja?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Oh, speaking of backrow physical attacks, what's up with Throw? Can anyone in the US version other than Tyro use Ninja skills yet? Can anyone in JAPAN other than the generic Ninja?

AFAIK not yet, but just off the top of my head I can think of at least four characters who would. (Yuffie, Edge, Shadow, Amarant)

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Am I nuts for having Vanille as my BM over Rinoa (especially in the event right now). Her black magic is 4* which is fine since I have quake and the -agas, and she can bust out protectga/curaga if needed. Also her default SB isn't total dogshit.

e: Yes I missed Terra :negative:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Beasteh posted:

Am I nuts for having Vanille as my BM over Rinoa (especially in the event right now). Her black magic is 4* which is fine since I have quake and the -agas, and she can bust out protectga/curaga if needed. Also her default SB isn't total dogshit.

e: Yes I missed Terra :negative:

no, you are not.

cpaf posted:

Just did my first 11 pull with mythril and got 4 5*s, including Vanille's rod, the genki armor, the fists and a blitz sword. It's all downhill from here right?

:stonklol:

(Yes. Yes it is.)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Alec Eiffel posted:

^^^ Well, I suppose I should try that, but it seems cheap. ^^^

It may seem cheap, but think of it this way: is it cheap to silence a caster, to blind a heavy hitter, or reflect on Asura?

Neutralizing a gimmicky boss's gimmick is Final Fantasy (really any RPG) in a nutshell. Would you fight a fire based boss without bringing in ice magic and fire defense? Would you not take advantage of abusing healing magic against undead enemies, especially phoenix down/life? I mean, yeah, there is a point where neutering the boss so much that it just lays there impotently, or kills it outright, can be overkill and take all the fun away, but that's just the way it works.

Bosses that counter are a staple in Final Fantasy. They either counter physicals and force you to use magic, or they have a constant reflect up and require the use of physical attacks. You've always been able to get around it by bouncing spells off your own reflects, and I'm sure there are situations where you can get around physical counters by just countering yourself.

Look at it this way: This isn't a boss that only counters physical attacks. This isn't a boss that only reflects magic attacks. This is a boss that straight up physically counters you every time you cause any damage to it, also while his constantly respawning arms are attacking you with AoE attacks. This would be fine in any other FF game where you can heal everyone up or use potions and ethers. But you have a limited number of heals that can only heal one person at a time. It's not a fair boss. It's cheap as hell. Take any advantage you can to take it down.

If it still feels too cheap to do it, feel free to artificially increase the difficulty by trying to outheal or outlast the counters, but abusing retaliate seems to be the intended way to fight this boss.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

If it still feels too cheap to do it, feel free to artificially increase the difficulty by trying to outheal or outlast the counters, but abusing retaliate seems to be the intended way to fight this boss.

I think it's more they just made a boss and went "Let them figure it out" rather than that being the intended solution.

I'm firmly in the do whatever is necessary camp though.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I thought you guys were exaggerating about retaliate spam. I finally got a retaliate for cloud and it's ridiculous.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Gibbo posted:

I think it's more they just made a boss and went "Let them figure it out" rather than that being the intended solution.

To be fair, Anima in XIII is an early-game boss the party has to fight before it can actually do anything (the only commands available to you are Attack, Blitz, and Items.). Also, a lot of the bosses from X suffer from lack of situational commands and setpieces - the Oblitzerator in Luca is a prime example, since the original encounter includes a crane, proper use of which utterly neuters it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Edwhirl posted:

I thought you guys were exaggerating about retaliate spam. I finally got a retaliate for cloud and it's ridiculous.

It's far less effective in the hands of Cyan. It's just basically a normal physical attack; it's Cloud (or Sephiroth) that really makes it ludicrous, not the skill itself.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

It's far less effective in the hands of Cyan. It's just basically a normal physical attack; it's Cloud (or Sephiroth) that really makes it ludicrous, not the skill itself.

Cloud only has 9 attack over Cyan, it's not that big a difference.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
I'm just gonna buy a lotto ticket next time.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zurai posted:

Cloud only has 9 attack over Cyan, it's not that big a difference.

Maybe it's just level difference (and lovely katanas) making me feel that way, then. :shrug:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

KataraniSword posted:

Maybe it's just level difference (and lovely katanas) making me feel that way, then. :shrug:

weapon quality is the biggest factor so if Cyan only has lovely Katanas where Cloud has a sweet rear end sword then yeah, you'll see Cloud blow him outta the water

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I consider the lack of availability of katanas a problem with both Cyan and Sephiroth as characters. I'm pretty sure the only one I've gotten is the one from the FF7 event, which is decent when upgraded to 4*, but I have similarly upgraded swords from multiple games. And Cloud can equip katanas too.

Cloud existing and being one of the first characters you get from the normal dungeons is probably Cyan's biggest issue.

Baku fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 29, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

How do you even use Retaliate anyway? I made it but I don't have enough orbs to hone it. Do you just use it and hope they attack the guy with it?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Nuebot posted:

How do you even use Retaliate anyway? I made it but I don't have enough orbs to hone it. Do you just use it and hope they attack the guy with it?

It lasts about 30ish seconds and you can trigger it with your own party's attacks as well as the enemy's, so you can activate it on Cloud, Sephiroth, or Cyan and then target them with physically weaker party members to get a bunch of free, harder hitting attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Heaven Spacey posted:

It lasts about 30ish seconds and you can trigger it with your own party's attacks as well as the enemy's, so you can activate it on Cloud, Sephiroth, or Cyan and then target them with physically weaker party members to get a bunch of free, harder hitting attacks.

And have your own guys attack him with Double Cut to get twice the counters out of it.

• Locked thread