Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Google Photos just updated to the new app on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Red Warrior posted:

Google Photos just updated to the new app on my phone.

Same, app is nice and a lot more intuitive except that it appears that it's trying to re-upload all my photos which is very infuriating.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So that new thing in Photos where it finds all the photos of your kid no matter their age?

It works.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Thermopyle posted:

So that new thing in Photos where it finds all the photos of your kid no matter their age?

It works.

It mostly did for me, it's given me two different groups of photos for my 16-month old. Both cover a range of ages, strangely one group seems to be mostly pictures taken out of state.

Hopefully there will be a way on the web interface or something to merge or edit the automatically found groups?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Oh also, it didn't try to re-upload all my photos. Maybe because I always uploaded full resolution.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What was Google Photos before? I just got it. Its uploading all of my images. I already had images backing up via Google+. Is this the same? Does Google care what its apps do in relation to each other? Should I disable Google+ auto backup?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

What was Google Photos before? I just got it. Its uploading all of my images. I already had images backing up via Google+. Is this the same? Does Google care what its apps do in relation to each other? Should I disable Google+ auto backup?

This replaced the Google+ Photos app.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Just tried the face search feature of the new photos and holy poo poo. I have a bunch of photos with my grandmother in them and it found them, fine, great, but it also found a photo that I took of a photo of my grandmother on her wedding day. That's at least a 50 year age gap and it ID'd her. :catstare:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say: media players typically won't let you bookmark your place in a plain audio format, in a way that you can return to it days later as opposed to just being paused and restarted the same day.

Or control playback speed. There's enough overlap between the two functions that having an app that does both is totally understandable. I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be a feature though.

Grim Up North posted:

Or a dedicated Audiobook player even. I like Listen.

I used Smart Audiobook Player to power through some audiobooks recently and I liked it a lot.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Ca I use Google Photos and remove Gallery altogether?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Inbox updated to include a swipe-to-delete option, an undo-send option and to integrate reminders with Keep. A Good Update.

e: some KitKat design still sneaking into the new Photos app

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 29, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

If you had Google+ you already had a Photos app that linked into the G+ Photos. G+ Photos app will update to the new Google Photos app which isn't tied to G+ in any way.

There isn't a separate G+ Auto Backup feature any more.

noirstronaut posted:

Ca I use Google Photos and remove Gallery altogether?

Yes.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Wow, I am really impressed with both the facial recognition and the pinch-to-zoom features of the new Photos app. This is a really nice app.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Mine doesn't seem to do facial recognition. How do I turn that on

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Mine doesn't seem to do facial recognition. How do I turn that on

Are you sure you got the new app and aren't just using the old Photos app?

The way you turn it on seems to be: have photos with faces.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Yep. Have the new one. Weird.

Thermopyle posted:

Are you sure you got the new app and aren't just using the old Photos app?

The way you turn it on seems to be: have photos with faces.

It says not available in all countries. I'm Canadian. Any other Canadians have face recognition?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Yep. Have the new one. Weird.

It says not available in all countries. I'm Canadian. Any other Canadians have face recognition?

Google doesn't really like Canada so you're more than likely just out of luck.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Google has trouble picking out Canadian faces.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Canadian faces are too fat and cause a buffer overrun error.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Whizbang posted:

Canadian faces are too fat and cause a butter overrun error.

E: I have no pictures of horses on my phone, so Google picked out like a half dozen pictures of grassland ruminants I took at the zoo, plus a parrot, one of my cats laying on a windsill, and an agent from the matrix movie doing that dodgy poo poo :wtc:

Managed to get this into the dogs category :golfclap:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 29, 2015

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Canada has privacy laws affecting Google services. For example, we couldn't get Street View until they blurred out faces and license plates.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't appear to have it in the UK, just get places and things

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Ugh, I hate to ask for a music player recommendation, but could you please assist? All I want to do is set up an agent on my PC which will monitor a few folders that I tell it, and then I want to be able to access those folders from the Android device. I am having a lot of trouble doing this because programs are doing too much or doing it wrong.

I do want: it to use folder.jpg for the album art. it to simply stream music from PC to phone. it to monitor the folder for changes, or probably more accurate, to be browsing the folder when I'm browsing (ie, don't cache anything)
I don't want: it to scrape anything from the internet. to require a 4.95 purchase to stream my own music from 30 feet away plex. to cache information (Google Music becomes nearly unusable when you take a 45,000 song library and then click "downloaded only").

I really just want a simple way to browse my mp3 library from any device on Wifi, is there anything that is going to make me happy?

I realize I am asking for fractionally more than "just map over from any file browser and play the song you want", but I'd like an updating library, album art, genres from the id3 tags. I just don't want any scraping or caching, just let me configure everything exactly how I want it on the PC, then play it on the phone or tablet as well.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 29, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Red Warrior posted:

Hopefully there will be a way on the web interface or something to merge or edit the automatically found groups?
In one of the Coffee with a Googler chats between sessions they spoke to the guy who did the Photos section in the keynote and he said that this is already possible, specifically mentioning that they don't always get faces and thing perfectly and that you can correct it when that happens. I can't see such an option anywhere right now but I guess it's coming pretty soon.

Also I don't have the Faces thing (in the UK), just Places and Things. US-only I guess :( .

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

In one of the Coffee with a Googler chats between sessions they spoke to the guy who did the Photos section in the keynote and he said that this is already possible, specifically mentioning that they don't always get faces and thing perfectly and that you can correct it when that happens. I can't see such an option anywhere right now but I guess it's coming pretty soon.

Also I don't have the Faces thing (in the UK), just Places and Things. US-only I guess :( .

The feature I wish they'd add is a way to detect duplicates. I don't even mean to compare photos, I mean literal duplicate uploads of identical files.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I mean literal duplicate uploads of identical files.

Well, it looks like they finally fixed the bug where photos taken within the Hangouts app would show up twice, so hopefully that won't happen anymore.

Also, it looks like the Photos website got the same overhaul that the app did.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ugh, I hate to ask for a music player recommendation, but could you please assist? All I want to do is set up an agent on my PC which will monitor a few folders that I tell it, and then I want to be able to access those folders from the Android device. I am having a lot of trouble doing this because programs are doing too much or doing it wrong.

I do want: it to use folder.jpg for the album art. it to simply stream music from PC to phone. it to monitor the folder for changes, or probably more accurate, to be browsing the folder when I'm browsing (ie, don't cache anything)
I don't want: it to scrape anything from the internet. to require a 4.95 purchase to stream my own music from 30 feet away plex. to cache information (Google Music becomes nearly unusable when you take a 45,000 song library and then click "downloaded only").

I really just want a simple way to browse my mp3 library from any device on Wifi, is there anything that is going to make me happy?

I realize I am asking for fractionally more than "just map over from any file browser and play the song you want", but I'd like an updating library, album art, genres from the id3 tags. I just don't want any scraping or caching, just let me configure everything exactly how I want it on the PC, then play it on the phone or tablet as well.

Maybe give http://subsonic.org a look? I use the caching feature (for subway listening) but it can definitely be disabled. It doesn't scrape, and it definitely uses folder.jpg for album art (that's how my collection is sorted).

By default it will transcode files to be more suitable for mobile data streaming, but that can also be disabled.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wow, I am really impressed with both the facial recognition and the pinch-to-zoom features of the new Photos app. This is a really nice app.

Agreed, this is super nice.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Google Photos uploaded fine for most of the photos on my and my wife's phones, but it seems its doing a lovely job of determining the correct date for older photos that weren't taken on other android phones.

I would think that it would try to parse out the date the photo was taken by either photo name or the created date in the file info, but nope. Got a bunch of stuff going back anywhere from 1 to 4 years ago showing up in May 2015.

It's going to be a pain in the rear end to edit unless the program goes through them again and updates it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well, it looks like they finally fixed the bug where photos taken within the Hangouts app would show up twice, so hopefully that won't happen anymore.

Also, it looks like the Photos website got the same overhaul that the app did.

The problem is what someone in the other thread mentioned. Let's say you've got a shitload of photos completely unorganized and spread across multiple drives and cards. You can't upload everything and then get the dupes out later. It's just a bizarre omission for what would seem to be an easy tool to implement.

I should mention the only reason I care about this is one of my dad's friends got cryptolockered and lost everything. I set them up with a Chromebox since all they do are take photos and browse the internet and they love it. The only problem they've encountered are duplicates being uploaded when they come across an old SD card that might have photos they want to recover. I did some research and it seems like unless you want to download everything and use applications to sanitize your library you can then delete and reupload but nobody offers an easy way to clean out duplicate photos. :(

Either way a nice update.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
You guys talking about the facial recognition got me to go check it out for myself. I downloaded the Photos app and was expecting to see boxes around faces when looking at the picture but that isn't the case. Was there something I need to do or somewhere in particular I need to go to turn it on?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rotaryfun posted:

You guys talking about the facial recognition got me to go check it out for myself. I downloaded the Photos app and was expecting to see boxes around faces when looking at the picture but that isn't the case. Was there something I need to do or somewhere in particular I need to go to turn it on?
Tap on the Search bar, you should see automatically created categories for People, Places and Things. It's all automated, no tagging, no boxes, it just takes all your photos and groups them based on who is in them. Except if you don't live the US you won't see People.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

teethgrinder posted:

Maybe give http://subsonic.org a look? I use the caching feature (for subway listening) but it can definitely be disabled. It doesn't scrape, and it definitely uses folder.jpg for album art (that's how my collection is sorted).

By default it will transcode files to be more suitable for mobile data streaming, but that can also be disabled.
I know this is petty but I'm just shocked I can't do this for free. I run foobar, winamp and XBMC for various needs, and they all do exactly what I want, for not a penny. Even if it's a dollar, I'm just surprised I'm going to have to buy an app to find out it may not even be what I want.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
So even on the web interface it doesn't seem like there is any way to tell Google Photos that what it thinks are two separate people are actually one person. Hopefully that is coming.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I know this is petty but I'm just shocked I can't do this for free. I run foobar, winamp and XBMC for various needs, and they all do exactly what I want, for not a penny. Even if it's a dollar, I'm just surprised I'm going to have to buy an app to find out it may not even be what I want.
Yeah... In addition, the new "premium" pricing pisses me off, but the free version probably does what you want. (I have some old grandfathered version where I don't pay a monthly fee. The whole point was I didn't want to pay an additional fee just for "mobile streaming" like Rdio/Spotify make you.)

Still, you can install the server for free, pay your $1, and quickly see if it works for you. Grab the refund if not.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I checked out the Photos app, but, despite it being nice, didn't see a reason to keep it. I'm just going to stick with QuickPic for browsing them and G+ to auto backup.

Photos also said it was uploading 650+ photos, when everything that I want backed up is already backed up. I wasn't worried about data overages or cloud storage, but I don't want a poo poo load of duplicates.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah... In addition, the new "premium" pricing pisses me off, but the free version probably does what you want. (I have some old grandfathered version where I don't pay a monthly fee. The whole point was I didn't want to pay an additional fee just for "mobile streaming" like Rdio/Spotify make you.)

Still, you can install the server for free, pay your $1, and quickly see if it works for you. Grab the refund if not.
I will do, and appreciate you pointing me in this direction.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Tunga posted:

Tap on the Search bar, you should see automatically created categories for People, Places and Things. It's all automated, no tagging, no boxes, it just takes all your photos and groups them based on who is in them. Except if you don't live the US you won't see People.

Woooow this is really powerful. My grandmother was one of the people it had a group for so I selected it. Right off the bat I thought to myself, whelp this doesn't work. There was a photo of my kids that I took and thought it shouldn't be in there. Little did I know, waaay in the background was my grandmother. Really impressive.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is everyone who is getting mass reuploads sure you haven't just selected the original quality option?

It wasn't uploading at original size with the old G+ method, so it's probably just uploading better quality ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Is everyone who is getting mass reuploads sure you haven't just selected the original quality option?

It wasn't uploading at original size with the old G+ method, so it's probably just uploading better quality ones

Just checked in G+ and, yes, I have Original selected (98% sure I always have. Unlimited data and 100GB of cloud storage means not being worried about photo size). And I know I selected Original when I had Photos installed.

• Locked thread