Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

For those of you - myself included - that have used Hola to partake in the sweet, sweet Nuuvem deals REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY! Verge is reporting that your bandwidth is being used as a botnet. It looks like the investigation is ongoing because the initial sources aren't exactly from the most upstanding corners of the internet, but I would remove it ASAP until this gets figured out.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/29/8685251/hola-vpn-botnet-selling-users-bandwidth

Doesn't sound great, although to be fair I only ever turned on Hola for 30 seconds here or there to bypass region checks, so I doubt much bandwidth could have been used in that time.

That is, unless it was still running even when I had it turned off :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Is it really just Amnesia-in-space, or is there going to more to it? It does look intriguing.

Amnesia underwater, actually. I'm wondering the same thing at this point, but hopefully they'll put out another trailer featuring more unique aspects. This video is what got me interested in SOMA, but it's been a year since that one and none of the recent stuff has had any of that gritty, Giger-esque look to it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Hence the name? Pardon my dumb-ness, but what's the name in reference to?

Soma means "body" in Greek. The crew members lack the perception of their body required to notice that they no longer have a human body, but instead have clunky robot bodies.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Accordion Man posted:

Is the game is as good as the original Carnivores? Because I used to play that game as a kid.

don't know yet. just bought it. it's pretty unoptimized, though!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

neptunia 2 5/5 -Orv

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
From the Bladestorm Nightmare system requirements:

quote:

MINIMUM: 
Processor: Core i7 870 2.8GHz or better 
Memory: 2 GB RAM 
Graphics: 640*480 pixel over, High Color 
DirectX: Version 11 
Network: Broadband Internet connection 
Hard Drive: 12 GB available space 
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c over

drat it, Tecmo, that's not the information the Graphics line is supposed to convey.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Zombie Samurai posted:

Amnesia underwater, actually. I'm wondering the same thing at this point, but hopefully they'll put out another trailer featuring more unique aspects. This video is what got me interested in SOMA, but it's been a year since that one and none of the recent stuff has had any of that gritty, Giger-esque look to it.

Hopefully they are just keeping quiet about those parts because they don't want to spoil them. The trailer looks like it might be from really early part of the game but if the whole thing turns out to be just reskinned Amnesia, sucks.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

il serpente cosmico posted:

Thanks, I should probably stop worrying so much about screwng up my builds. I get a little anxious in games that provide a lot of customization choices.

Does hybridization tend to work out OK? Like say I want a melee tank with some magic or a wizard with a bow?

Hybrid builds are tricker. They're possible, but are much easier to screw up. Hybrid builds will require you to spread your points out a lot more and rely on boosts from gear a lot more. Hybrids strength is their flexibility - they can do a lot more, but they tend to not be able to do things quite as well as focused builds.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Anyone impulse buy Serpent in the Staglands? The trailer makes it look good for a old school/grognard RPG

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wasn't Amnesia: Machine for Pigs garbage that was nowhere near as good as the original?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

For those of you - myself included - that have used Hola to partake in the sweet, sweet Nuuvem deals REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY! Verge is reporting that your bandwidth is being used as a botnet. It looks like the investigation is ongoing because the initial sources aren't exactly from the most upstanding corners of the internet, but I would remove it ASAP until this gets figured out.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/29/8685251/hola-vpn-botnet-selling-users-bandwidth

This isn't surprising at all, my internet always went to poo poo with Hola enabled, even if I wasn't using it. Every time I've needed it, I just install it, buy the game, then remove it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

il serpente cosmico posted:

It's been on my list to play for a while now, and I've really dug it thus far, so I don't really want to wait. But I can always do a second playthrough.

Thanks, I should probably stop worrying so much about screwng up my builds. I get a little anxious in games that provide a lot of customization choices.

Does hybridization tend to work out OK? Like say I want a melee tank with some magic or a wizard with a bow?
I'm fuzzy its all organized to make what I want to say make the most sense, but the active ability access pacing is such you can basically choose 2-3 categories to focus and stay up to date, while dabbling in some others that don't necessarily need to be focused on. That includes keeping up weapons so that's the only strike against gish like hybrids, and its a pretty small deal. Everything combos off of everything else including itself at some point so you can't really screw up a character short of splitting points between everything or dumping into the stuff that doesn't give you new active abilities.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Wasn't Amnesia: Machine for Pigs garbage that was nowhere near as good as the original?

Different developer. Yes it was terrible.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Anyone impulse buy Serpent in the Staglands? The trailer makes it look good for a old school/grognard RPG

I backed it, and have played it a little. So far its enjoyable old school style game, with a strong Darklands homage to it. Its made by a 2 person team, so its a bit rough and the nostalgic style helps explain away some of the sharp edges on the UI and design.

I cant tell if its good nostalgia yet, or bad. I would say keep an eye on it and wait for a few patches.

Chairman Pow! fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 29, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lakbay posted:

I keep waiting to hear about it as someone has to have bought it or was on the Kickstarter. But the screenshots and some of the previews I'd caught don't fill me with confidence that the game isn't nostalgic in a lot of the worst ways.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Well gently caress, I've had slower internet recently and just removed that, my speedtest shot way up after.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
(crosspost from the PS4 thread)

I'm never sure where to post questions about using PS4 controllers with the PC, but here goes. I just got a new netbook since I will be without my PC (and PS4) for a few weeks, and I do want to play some games on it. The darndest thing is happening though: if I use my PS4 controller with either inputmapper or ds4windows, it blocks the internet connection. Just having my PS4 controller connected by bluetooth doesn't do it, either one of those programs has to be running. Anyone else experience this, or have any idea how it could have happened? I'm at a loss here and google isn't helping.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Quest For Glory II posted:

Different developer. Yes it was terrible.

Eh, it was pretty okay. I think the biggest thing was that it didn't live up to the rather immense level of hype surrounding it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Dear Esther guys are pretentious hacks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Propaganda Hour posted:

Eh, it was pretty okay. I think the biggest thing was that it didn't live up to the rather immense level of hype surrounding it.

It wasn't scary at all, which is kind of what people expected out of an Amnesia game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The only way I'll be able to play SOMA is by pretending that giant hulking death machine is just practicing his stabbin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj2dmQruJXs

Also the Steven Irwin running commentary trick "Get a load of this beauty! Imma keep my distance cause he's likely to rip my head clean off!"

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Thanks for the Divinity tips, everyone.

The talk about SOMA reminded me that a similar horror-exploration game called Routine is still in development. Footage has looked really promising, so hopefully it'll come out eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaZqV0o7EW4

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the antagonist of hyperdimrnsion nippletunia 2 is the r4 ds flashcard which is of course an anime with big tits

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Puistokemisti posted:

The trailer looks like it might be from really early part of the game but if the whole thing turns out to be just reskinned Amnesia, sucks.
Yeah, after what Alien: Isolation made with the premise going back to Amnesia's AI would suck.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

the antagonist of hyperdimrnsion nippletunia 2 is the r4 ds flashcard which is of course an anime with big tits

I thought she was the antagonist of all of the neptunia games

Also she's a pirate isnt she

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

But isn't everything an anime with big tits in that game?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Accordion Man posted:

But isn't everything an anime with big tits in that game?

Except for the main character, and Nintendo, basically.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

You're saying it like it's a bad thing

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Now i'm in a dilemma where i know i want to get around to beating Hyperdimension 1 before i start 2, but i also feel like i should buy 2 while it's 50% off

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Saoshyant posted:

It wasn't terrible, it was just kind of mediocre and didn't even come close to living up to the hype. If it wasn't under the Amnesia tag, it'd be filed under "pretty good indie horror game, buy this during a sale".

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Freak Futanari posted:

Now i'm in a dilemma where i know i want to get around to beating Hyperdimension 1 before i start 2, but i also feel like i should buy 2 while it's 50% off
You should use that fifteen dollars to buy Dark Dreams Don't Die when it comes out next week instead. Swery needs and deserves everyone's money.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 29, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zedprime posted:

I keep waiting to hear about it as someone has to have bought it or was on the Kickstarter. But the screenshots and some of the previews I'd caught don't fill me with confidence that the game isn't nostalgic in a lot of the worst ways.

The game doesn't have a quest log. I can appreciate an old-school design mentality but that poo poo is just inexcusable.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

You should use that fifteen dollars to buy Dark Dreams Don't Die when it comes out next week instead. Swery needs and deserves everyone's money.

Thanks for the reminder, i almost forgot about D4, which is gonna be epic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Freak Futanari posted:

you should have bought Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds when it was on sale imo

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Freak Futanari posted:

Thanks for the reminder, i almost forgot about D4, which is gonna be epic.
They also released a demo for it today, so people should check it out.

http://d4-game.com/pc/index.html

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

you should have bought Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds when it was on sale imo

A mothafuckin 2D pixelated indie sidescroller.... that's some epic poo poo homey

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Freak Futanari posted:

Right on, man. What kind of lunatic would buy a game on a Steam sale and not start playing it immediately?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Freak Futanari posted:

A mothafuckin 2D pixelated indie sidescroller.... that's some epic poo poo homey
Wow, disregarding an anime game with multiple anime women to play as. What kind of anime fan are you.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

But it has Kurisu in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

A good poster posted:

Right on, man. What kind of lunatic would buy a game on a Steam sale and not start playing it immediately?
I know right?

Games owned 744
Games not played 424 (57%)
Games not in store 34
Hours on record 1,087.1h

Err ..

• Locked thread