Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Funzo posted:

Well of course not. I'll screw around with it when I get home. I've got a bluetooth OBD2 adapter that should work.

I finally got to look at this. No codes I could find about idle, or anything at all really. It looks like the brake booster line is worn in one spot though. Would that cause rough idle if there's a slight leak there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
on flaring, I have an Eastwood Pro flaring tool and it's ace. It just works, unlike most attempts one would make with a hand tool, especially for something as rigid as stainless (cupronickel ftw)

http://www.eastwood.com/professional-brake-tubing-flaring-tool.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Funzo posted:

I finally got to look at this. No codes I could find about idle, or anything at all really. It looks like the brake booster line is worn in one spot though. Would that cause rough idle if there's a slight leak there?

Yes

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Any unmetered air is really going to mess with your idle, yeah

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I replaced my upper radiator hose with a Dayco since I managed to damage the one that was on my car while removing the clutch fan. I had a bitch of a time getting the thing seated onto the radiator / expansion tank but it seemed fine. Well, loving thing popped loose enough to seep coolant on the freeway today - how I managed to survive 45 minutes of sitting in stopped accident traffic - AND getting rear ended in said traffic - without overheating is beyond me.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Pierced Bronson posted:

This is interesting to know, I also have the B12 kit.. I like it a lot but the rear is maybe a bit bouncy. My only experience with coilovers was one where they were so stiff that I could barely deflect a corner just by pushing.

For me at least the B12 kit did not feel like there was much give when using the corner push test. The SpecE46 setup feels about the same by that metric, but the smoothness on the road is completely different. I have not turned up the damping to full, only half way so far.

Crustashio posted:

Like most of the BMW kits, the e46 bilstein kits are under sprung and damped harshly. I have the b12 pro kit (most drop they offer) and it doesn't ride as well over as my e36 with koni singles in the front and koni doubles in the rear. But it was cheap and my 330 isn't a track car.

And I think this is why. I went with the B12 kit for the same reasons originally (plus my OEM shocks were blown and one of the rear springs was broken). As it has become more of a track car I found the B12 kit was not keeping up.

Will have to see how it is once I get the spherical bearing spring perches for the rear and a proper alignment.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Funzo posted:

yes. if there's ever any question, spray the hose with carb cleaner. if your motor revs at all, you have unmetered air and that will mess with your idle & more. it's always good measure to replace everything even slightly questionable; carb cleaner test doesn't catch even close to everything & vacuum hoses are pretty cheap/easy to gain access to. same deal with misc vacuum related gromits gaskets clamps and whathaveyou. if you ever have a leak on a difficult-to-access hose, you can always try cutting a little hose off the end; sometimes there's enough slack to make it happen.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 27, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

BlackMK4 posted:

[...]how I managed to survive 45 minutes of sitting in stopped accident traffic - AND getting rear ended in said traffic - without overheating is beyond me.

You got rear ended in your new wagon?

Are you still looking for an e46 manual swap? Tucson based BMW dismantler just got a rear ended manual e46 sedan. 2001 one I think, runs and drives, they'll sell you a whole swap with every nut and bolt you'd need.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mafoose posted:

You got rear ended in your new wagon?

Are you still looking for an e46 manual swap? Tucson based BMW dismantler just got a rear ended manual e46 sedan. 2001 one I think, runs and drives, they'll sell you a whole swap with every nut and bolt you'd need.

Yeah, I don't really care because it's got a well worn exterior. Just left a couple of divots out of the bumper cover where the front plate was mounted.

YES I AM LOOKING FOR THE SWAP!!! Do you know what they are asking for the parts? I had to pass on a manual 323 sedan for $800 because I had nowhere to put it while I tore it apart. I'm headed to Thunderhill Raceway on Saturday until Tuesday but I can run down after that.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 27, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, I don't really care because it's got a well worn exterior. Just left a couple of divots out of the bumper cover where the front plate was mounted.

YES I AM LOOKING FOR THE SWAP!!! Do you know what they are asking for the parts? I had to pass on a manual 323 sedan for $800 because I had nowhere to put it while I tore it apart. I'm headed to Thunderhill Raceway on Saturday until Tuesday but I can run down after that.

It's a 2.8l car. It hasn't been dismantled yet but I told them I knew someone that might be interested. The place is called Roundel Auto Recycling, Leif is one of the owners, tell him Mario with the e28/m3 sent you.

http://www.roundelautorecycling.com

I think the swaps go for $850 but it comes with everything.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Hypothetically, how bad of an idea would a 2008 M3 with 160k miles be in terms of random expensive/involved M-related maintenance? Hypothetically.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mafoose posted:

It's a 2.8l car. It hasn't been dismantled yet but I told them I knew someone that might be interested. The place is called Roundel Auto Recycling, Leif is one of the owners, tell him Mario with the e28/m3 sent you.

http://www.roundelautorecycling.com

I think the swaps go for $850 but it comes with everything.

2.8 is fine, just means it comes with the ZF320 instead of the poo poo G230 that the 2.5 gets. :) I'll give them a call tomorrow - I appreciate it!

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Let the e30 sit for a week while waiting on new guibo bolts. Got everything in, took it for a drive, heat blew hot and bled off straight away. Temp doesn't come above the first hash, now. :shobon: God drat cooling system.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

yes. if there's ever any question, spray the hose with carb cleaner. if your motor revs at all, you have unmetered air and that will mess with your idle & more. it's always good measure to replace everything even slightly questionable; carb cleaner test doesn't catch even close to everything & vacuum hoses are pretty cheap/easy to gain access to. same deal with misc vacuum related gromits gaskets clamps and whathaveyou. if you ever have a leak on a difficult-to-access hose, you can always try cutting a little hose off the end; sometimes there's enough slack to make it happen.

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend then.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwzg7SYZKF0

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Welp put the new fuel pump in the e30 (a++ would recommend blunttech again) and it's still having idle issues. It stopped the fuel pump whine of death, and the car reliably starts, but it just idles like complete garbage still. Runs just fine though.

Found a huge vacuum leak on the valve cover breather hose, so I'm thinking it's time for a valve adjustment & new gaskets. I think after this, I've just about fixed or ruled out every single possible source of unmetered air in the car, but this is a pretty big split in the hose so it wouldn't surprise me if it were my issue all along.

Will do some more diagnostics in the next week & try to find a mechanic to look at it failing that (KD wouldn't return my calls, heh,) but I'm starting to run out of money, have a medical bill coming up, have a vet bill coming up because my horse decided today was a good day to almost die, and I have to move next month. Might have to park the e30 for a little bit and find a new job I can bus to or something.

Funzo posted:

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend then.

Make sure to check more than just hoses -- BMW loves using little press-fit metal on metal fittings, which are all fine and dandy until they wear out, tolerances change, and vibrations push them loose. Usually you'll find these around the throttle body but don't be surprised if you find them used elsewhere. Epoxy or teflon tape is an easy fix for these ones. Big source of brake booster vac leaks.

Also, automatically replace those one-time use butterfly hose clamps BMW sometimes uses with normal hose clamps. Over time they may not work as well, and they're a pain to work with anyway, quick little $2. They're kind of sporadically used, but I'm pretty sure BMW almost always uses those ones on brake booster lines from the factory.

And of course, always make sure you button everything up correctly when working with potential vac leaks, especially if the hoses are old. As I've learned, it's pretty easy to create new ones when you're popping old hoses on/off!

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 28, 2015

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I'm thinking about buying a new 3 series when the 2016 models are available. I'm currently driving a 2008 Infiniti G35, which I like, but it's getting noisy and the ride is getting rough. I also hate that there's no bluetooth audio, and I need three sequential adapters to connect my iphone to the car infotainment system. So I want something sporty, but with good technology. I'm not a big car enthusiast, but I like something a little fun to drive. The car would be my daily commute car on the lovely highway 101 in the SF bay area. It's not a well maintained road.

I mostly want a comfortable ride for that lovely highway, in something a little sporty. That sounds like a lexus IS350 or GS350, except that I loving hate their little mouse interface thing for the infotainment system. That is actually a deal breaker for me. All car makers systems are lovely, but BMW idrive seems the least offensive to me.

What I'm thinking is that a 328 or 340i with the dynamic handling package could run in "comfort" mode on my commute to smooth out the rough ride, but I could flip it back to sport mode when I'm driving on the weekend. Am I just buying into marketing hype? Is the fancy adaptive suspension really going to give me a decently quiet comfortable ride on that lovely highway?

Another thing I'm worried about is that I spend a lot of time on phone calls in my car, and I need something with decent isolation from road noise, or at least noise canceling on the phone system.

Am I thinking about this right at all?

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Graniteman posted:

I'm thinking about buying a new 3 series when the 2016 models are available.

A 328 sounds right up your alley. It's an aesthetically unoffensive, easy to drive, peppy and well handling car with decent technology and ergonomics. The dynamic handling package does make a noticeable change between sport and comfort modes; not huge, but definitely noticeable. I think on an unkempt surface rough is still going to be kind of unpleasant… Sharp jolts will get transmitted to the cabin no matter what, especially with run-flat tires, but it does help the car 'float' over certain things rather than hug the road as hard as it can. Sounds like you should test drive one to see for yourself.

You're right about the infotainment; if you are at all savvy it's very easy to learn and does a good amount of useful things without being terribly intrusive or cumbersome. I recommend you get navigation, otherwise you wind up with a smaller screen which constantly reminds you that you could've had a much cooler and better looking and more capable setup. Bluetooth music streaming sounds very good, and there's a USB port in the armrest if you want to listen to music through that and/or charge your phone. Placing and receiving phone calls is easily performed on the steering wheel and the sound quality is not bad. Also there are at least two microphones in the panel just in front of the sunroof. Not sure about noise cancellation, but I thought cell phones were mostly tuned to the vocal range anyway?

A 340 would be faster / more elite I guess and the i6 makes all the right noises but the turbo-4 has a very adequate amount of usable power and if driven correctly gets respectable economy.

428 coupe is also nice if you don't care abt having a 4-door

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 28, 2015

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

So, I did a thing. I guess this means I can participate in this thread now.

2002 330ci 5 speed. From what the seller has told me (I haven't confirmed 100% yet), it has the CSL front bumper (new cf canards in the trunk), coilovers, new vanos seals, valve cover gaskets, etc, new tires, M alcantara wheel, poly bushings, stainless exhaust, etc, etc.

Drove it about an hour and a half home last night and a few errands today. It's a blast. Did get a few codes - bank 1&2 lean - which is probably an intake leak, but C3101, C3400, and C3174 popped up that I have no idea what they are.

Plans are to raise the coilovers about an inch maybe two and just drive it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Team140 posted:

2002 330ci 5 speed. From what the seller has told me (I haven't confirmed 100% yet), it has the CSL front bumper (new cf canards in the trunk), coilovers, new vanos seals, valve cover gaskets, etc, new tires, M alcantara wheel, poly bushings, stainless exhaust, etc, etc.

Drove it about an hour and a half home last night and a few errands today. It's a blast. Did get a few codes - bank 1&2 lean - which is probably an intake leak, but C3101, C3400, and C3174 popped up that I have no idea what they are.

I'm pretty sure CSL bumpers (like M3 bumpers) are too wide for a non-M3 as they have flared front wheel arches.

Cool car though!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Ho

Team140 posted:

how much you paid ?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Woo! That happened in the first week with my E92 335is.

http://imgur.com/a/SOFj8

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

Ho

how much you paid ?

I bought it for $3800. I think it was a pretty solid purchase.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Mooseykins posted:

I'm pretty sure CSL bumpers (like M3 bumpers) are too wide for a non-M3 as they have flared front wheel arches.

Cool car though!

Thanks!

I don't think it's a true CSL bumper. I mean, with only 1400 made, the bumper would probably be worth what I paid for the whole car! Pretty sure it's an aftermarket repro that fits the non-M cars.

Real M3 CSL:

The single off center hole in the bumper is for the air intake on the real CSL. The guy I bought the car from thought it was for a single fog light.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So my car made a funny noise at startup today. I haven't been able to locate a decent video of some one confirming 'this is was a bad VANOS sounds like', but is this the sound of a bad VANOS? S52 M3, 173k miles. It seems to drive the same, it's not down on power or anything.
Here is my video
http://youtu.be/JrPuRuZExzs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh I get it, so when an ankle high air intake is on a BMW it's fiiiiiiine. :colbert:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Team140 posted:

Thanks!

I don't think it's a true CSL bumper. I mean, with only 1400 made, the bumper would probably be worth what I paid for the whole car! Pretty sure it's an aftermarket repro that fits the non-M cars.

Real M3 CSL:

The single off center hole in the bumper is for the air intake on the real CSL. The guy I bought the car from thought it was for a single fog light.

You can't fit a real bumper on a non m car anyway.
Also you can't even fit it to the facelift m3 with its original carbon bumper bars I don't think. Oh and they're about £4000 :newlol:

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So my car made a funny noise at startup today. I haven't been able to locate a decent video of some one confirming 'this is was a bad VANOS sounds like', but is this the sound of a bad VANOS? S52 M3, 173k miles. It seems to drive the same, it's not down on power or anything.
Here is my video
http://youtu.be/JrPuRuZExzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9fwHbKl2nE

Sounds like VANOS to me.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Thanks for that. It kind of sounds like a diesel at idle. At upper RPMs it's fine though. Looks like I get to rebuild the system :shepspends:

Edit: Just ordered the Dr. Vanos kit, new valve cover gasket, seals, and rented the tools. The installation looks fairly painless, even easier as I have a clutch fan delete and SPAL fan installed.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 29, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Bape Culture posted:

You can't fit a real bumper on a non m car anyway.
Also you can't even fit it to the facelift m3 with its original carbon bumper bars I don't think. Oh and they're about £4000 :newlol:

Friend of mine bought a CSL shell, stolen recovered that'd had the engine and gearbox pinched. He put a tuned S54 in with CSL airbox etc (But not an actual CSL engine.) and was adamant he'd get a CSL bumper to go on it too, because "It's actually a real CSL!".

Then he called the dealer and got a price for one.

He put a normal M3 bumper on it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So I put the intake/tune on the wife's 335is and holy poo poo. This thing will smoke the tires through third gear now.

So, on that note, I need tire help. It's got the 19" M-wheels and is running 225/255s now. What size can I fit on these?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Flynn posted:

So I put the intake/tune on the wife's 335is and holy poo poo. This thing will smoke the tires through third gear now.

So, on that note, I need tire help. It's got the 19" M-wheels and is running 225/255s now. What size can I fit on these?

Running square at 265/30/19 might work assuming you have wheels that will clear it. BMW loves screwball tire diameters unfortunately.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Running square at 265/30/19 might work assuming you have wheels that will clear it. BMW loves screwball tire diameters unfortunately.

I'm not sure if I can run them square. I'm almost positive I can run 265/30/19s in the rear though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
In effort of chasing the left pull on my E46:
Koni Yellows
FCABs
Front Control Arms
Inner / Outer Tie Rods
Rear Control Arm Bushings
Alignment x 2

I've noticed that the car straightens out under braking and the steering wheel settles in the center.. this is indicative of a dragging caliper, right? Running low on the list of poo poo it could be. Is there anything else I'm not thinking of other than tires? I think it pulls too hard to just be the tires. Is there a way to test for dragging?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 30, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Not the most scientific but an infrared thermometer gun could tell you if one rotor is hotter than the other

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Or touch the wheels after a drive. Does sound like a binding caliper though.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Selling my curbed DSIIs for 450 this weekend...I'm surprised how many people contacted me about stock e36 wheels. Almost makes my TRM C2s free.

BraveUlysses posted:

Not the most scientific but an infrared thermometer gun could tell you if one rotor is hotter than the other

Works really well if you go for a drive at highway speeds for 20-30 mins. Pull off an exit with engine braking and check the temps, they should all be even.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

BlackMK4 posted:

In effort of chasing the left pull on my E46:
Koni Yellows
FCABs
Front Control Arms
Inner / Outer Tie Rods
Rear Control Arm Bushings
Alignment x 2

I've noticed that the car straightens out under braking and the steering wheel settles in the center.. this is indicative of a dragging caliper, right? Running low on the list of poo poo it could be. Is there anything else I'm not thinking of other than tires? I think it pulls too hard to just be the tires. Is there a way to test for dragging?

You'd think the siezed caliper's dragging pad would glaze or wear out and that it would subsequently only pull when you brake, not straighten out. Either way it should be easy for someone such as yourself to pull the brakes and inspect for uneven wear, siezed slide pins, etc.

also an easy way to check for dragging brakes is jack the car and rotate the wheels by hand :v:

anecdotally my mom's convertible recently got new tires and it immediately started pulling... the local shop then turned the passenger side tires around so they rotated opposite their intended design and it's dead-nuts now

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 30, 2015

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Accepted a tentative job offer in Bloomington, IN. I guess this means I need a winter beater. e39 540i wagon sounds good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

the milk machine posted:

Hypothetically, how bad of an idea would a 2008 M3 with 160k miles be in terms of random expensive/involved M-related maintenance? Hypothetically.

The primary thing I've read about with the S65 is the rod bearing failure that basically means a new engine, but I haven't really seen any conclusive information regarding if it tends to happen within a certain age and/or mileage range. I did read a thread that another goon linked me when I mentioned M3 shopping in the general chat thread that was all about high mileage M3s and the good luck plenty of forum folks had.

For the thread at large, the BMWCCA discount (or 'rebate' as they seem to be calling it now) is just on new cars right? There isn't any kind of discount built in for BWM dealers selling used or CPO BMWs is there? I'm thinking no, but figured I'd double check. Despite having an old 2002 I've been a hold out on joining since it hasn't seemed worth it yet (though maybe it is? Correct me if I'm wrong here), but since I've been car shopping it seems like it could be a good time to.