Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just replicate the parts to make a bigger/better replicator until you can replicate a holosuite and the power source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

the first episode where everyone is impressed by the holodeck (Picard 1:1)

but in the animated series they already had a "recreation room" that was basically the same as a holodeck. Also in Voyager Janeway says she played in holodecks as a kid.

Kinda like how ferengis are a weird new species that no one's ever seen in season one of TNG but like five years later they're everywhere and no-one ever talks about them being new

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

273423-X posted:

but in the animated series they already had a "recreation room" that was basically the same as a holodeck. Also in Voyager Janeway says she played in holodecks as a kid.

Kinda like how ferengis are a weird new species that no one's ever seen in season one of TNG but like five years later they're everywhere and no-one ever talks about them being new

Goldfish have already surpassed humans in attention span length.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

273423-X posted:

idk basically the same isn't quite the same though.

I remember in TNG they made a big deal about how you could walk around and stuff and not hit the walls like in earlier versions. And you could have a bunch of people in there all traveling different directions and somehow it just keeps generating new terrain or whatever and no one hits any walls.

Anything Janeway says isn't to be trusted anyway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

they actually got in a little trouble with the first sherlock holmes episode they did because they assumed it had become public domain by 1988 and it hadn't

the original plan was to bring back moriarty for third season but they instead had to wait until paramount worked it out with the arthur conan doyle estate

Although now that it is in the public domain the acd estate still threatens legal action against anyone making something with the character. Hollywood basically pays them off just to avoid the hassle.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Luigi Thirty posted:

It is established that people get transporter credits on earth, it's reasonable that they get holodeck time credits as well

that was only established for sisko who was in the academy at the time, and it makes perfect sense that the academy would place closer limits on transporter use than regular citizens (gotta get cadets used to not being able to run home for every single little thing)

Fetus Tree posted:

in the writers guide this is actually laid out as being due to trying to prevent long lines

seriously stop fakeposting

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Exactly, the real rate-limiter was the incredible fingertip erosion that would occur in transporter chiefs as they drag their hands up and down the LCARS surfaces to move an average of ten thousand people per day per chief. Even professional Bathleth fencers had a lower stump-rate than the downtown SF transporter pad jockeys.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

that was only established for sisko who was in the academy at the time, and it makes perfect sense that the academy would place closer limits on transporter use than regular citizens (gotta get cadets used to not being able to run home for every single little thing)

can you stop being such a whiny oval office and go back to tviv if it bothers you

tia

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fetus Tree posted:

can you stop being such a whiny oval office and go back to tviv if it bothers you

tia

i can't, i have a condition

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

i can't, i have a condition

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I believed fetus tree and now i am bummed to hear it was a lie.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Communism always leads to long lines, whether it's lines for bread or lines for the magic fantasy room where all your dreams come true, more proof that communism never works

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

273423-X posted:

ferengies are mobile phones from 1998 - 2003 in star trek world.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

273423-X posted:

this is literally every species that wasnt in TOS tho

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Anything Janeway says isn't to be trusted anyway.

I either like to think that Voyager didn't exist or was actually a parody.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I either like to think that Voyager didn't exist

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

JAM-BA-LAY-A

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Goddam does everything chakotay say have to reference his Indian mysticism bullshit?

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Goddam does everything chakotay say have to reference his Indian mysticism bullshit?

as long as those paychecks kept coming in, bobby beltran didn't give a poo poo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

oldpainless posted:

I sometimes wonder how often the guy who played Harry Kim thanked his lucky stars that the writers didn't decide to make him a one-note "Asian" character:

*The main computer fails because of this week's plot*
"Captain, in my quarters I have an ancient device known to my people called an abacus. Perhaps I could use it to calculate the proper antimatter intermix ratio."

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

ChiralCondensate posted:

as long as those paychecks kept coming in, bobby beltran didn't give a poo poo

To be fair he totally gave a poo poo and even tried making outrageous demands so they'd fire him.

But they didn't.

They were the ones who didn't give a poo poo.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Humans haven't been part of the galactic community long enough

in a few more hundred years there will be a single Terran culture

There already is though, and they allude to it a couple times in TNG and DS9. Between WW3 wiping out most of human civilization and the Vulcans making first contact with North Americans, basically any other culture didn't have a chance.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

oldpainless posted:

my people

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

my store bought As Seen On TV vision quest machine.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

ackoochie moya

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

odo is that you?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Holodecks are supposed to be the latest technology in TNGland and require a massive power source (like a warp drive) to operate.

In voyager they had to specify that the holodecks had their own dedicated power source, so they could keep them running all the time while still being on the far side of the galaxy with limited resources and rationing. You know, for both episodes where limited resources actually mattered.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oldpainless posted:

specifically he totally gave up sometime around season 2 and kept asking for ridiculous raises and other things from the producers but they wouldn't fire him.

meanwhile they were ready to fire Harry Kim until he was on some people magazine sexiest men of the year list for 1999. But they still kept him an ensign forever because he complained to the producers about something I forget what

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

counterfeitsaint posted:

In voyager they had to specify that the holodecks had their own dedicated power source, so they could keep them running all the time while still being on the far side of the galaxy with limited resources and rationing. You know, for both episodes where limited resources actually mattered.

Basically the only reason the BSG reboot exists is that Ronald D Moore was frustrated about Voyager squandering an interesting premise.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Entropic posted:

Basically the only reason the BSG reboot exists is that Ronald D Moore was frustrated about Voyager squandering an interesting premise.

That finale tho.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
why the gently caress would they even try that premise in an era where there wasnt a single non monster of the week tv show going.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

stfu tayla

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Luigi Thirty posted:

specifically he totally gave up sometime around season 2 and kept asking for ridiculous raises and other things from the producers but they wouldn't fire him.

meanwhile they were ready to fire Harry Kim until he was on some people magazine sexiest men of the year list for 1999. But they still kept him an ensign forever because he complained to the producers about something I forget what

lol and the only reason he was on that list is affirmative action since there were no other asian male actors on tv at the time (except for maybe sammo hung)

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
its nice that theres a larger variety of people on tv now. ABC is great for this. you have your white family comedy, your black family comedy, and your asian family comedy!!

E: theyre actually all hilarious

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

oncearoundaltair posted:

trying to remember if TNG ever had anyone who was fat.

lt. cmdr argyle

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

oncearoundaltair posted:

trying to remember if TNG ever had anyone who was fat.

riker

kahless

old scotty :rip:

morn :mrgw:

the lady piano player in that 2 parter episode where picard ends up with the treasure hunting pirate crew lol

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I sometimes wonder how often the guy who played Harry Kim thanked his lucky stars that the writers didn't decide to make him a one-note "Asian" character:

*The main computer fails because of this week's plot*
"Captain, in my quarters I have an ancient device known to my people called an abacus. Perhaps I could use it to calculate the proper antimatter intermix ratio."

According to Garrett Wang he spent the whole show assuming Kim was Korean (cause his name is Kim, what else would he be) but then he had a conversation with a writer during the last season and found out that he was always meant to be Chinese. It's almost like the writers didn't do even the minimum of research into anything ever.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Entropic posted:

He's actually talked about that in depth:

Ronald D. Moore posted:

By the end of the pilot, you have the Maquis in those Starfleet uniforms, and— boom—we’ve begun the grand homogenization. Now they are any other ship. I don’t know what the difference is between Voyager and the Defiant or the Saratoga or the Enterprise or any other ship sitting around the Alpha Quadrant doing its Starfleet gig. That to me is appalling, because if anything, Voyager—coming home, over this journey, with that crew—by the time they got back to Earth, they should be their own subculture. They should be so different from the people who left, that Starfleet won’t even recognize them any more. What are the things that would truly come up on a ship lost like that? Wouldn’t they have to start not only bending Starfleet protocols, but throwing some of them right out the window? If you think about it in somewhat realistic terms: you’re on Voyager; you are on the other side of the galaxy; for all you know, it is really going to take another century to get home, and there is every chance that you are not going to make it, but maybe your children or grandchildren will. Are you really going let Captain Janeway [Kate Mulgrew] rule the ship for the next century. It seems like, in that kind of situation, the ship would eventually evolve its own sort of society. It would have to function in some way, other than just this military protocol that we repeat over and over again because it’s the only thing we know. You’ve got the Maquis onboard. From the get-go they are supposed to be the anti-Starfleet people. They behave exactly like the Starfleet people with the occasional nod towards B’Elanna [Roxann Dawson] making a snide remark about Starfleet protocols, or Chakotay [Robert Beltran] getting a little quasi-spiritual. But in essence, they are no different than any other ship in the fleet. The episodes that you watch week after week are so easily translatable to NEXT GEN that it’s almost a cookie-cutter kind of thing. It’s a waste of the premise. That’s not to say they don’t have any good episodes. There are some good episodes in the mix, and I have seen a couple. The show can work. But the ship wouldn’t look like that.

Really the whole thing is well worth a read, he makes some fantastic points. Although you'll definitely want to copy-paste the text into something easier to read than this hideous webpage:

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
On the other galaxy class starships, does the ship's councilor sit next to the captain on the bridge all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

On the other galaxy class starships, does the ship's councilor sit next to the captain on the bridge all day.

Only if they are empaths so they can create tension by telling the captain they sense deception and malicious intent before beaming over the senior staff.

• Locked thread