Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahaha, that's great. Yeah I often think about how characters in Anime and Videogames often have helmets or beards or really huge collars (Auron in FFX) probably just to cover up their mouths because animating mouths is a TON of work, looks like crap if you don't try really hard, and doesn't really even add all that much.

Its the same thing with changing camera angles to look away from a character right as they talk, and then switching back to them when the other character is talking.

Irrationally irritating movie moment - I hate when a scene gets overdubbed (talking English movies here, because they screwed up the audio or because they couldn't record it at the same time) and its obvious. Sometimes the mouth doesn't match up at all but I guess Hollywood says 'good enough' ? I'm trying to think of examples here but I know I see it pretty often.

Even worse is when some character talks a bit and then walks off, and there's some parting shot line and its clear that was overdubbed in later and the character didn't actually say anything while they walked away.

Not irritating, but related is when theydub over foul language-heavy movies to make them suitable for TV. I was flipping through the channels a few years ago and White Men Can't Jump was onTNT or some poo poo, and there is a line when Rosie Perez jumps on Woody Harrelson's lap and says softly "Let's gently caress!", which in turn was dubbed into "Let's make love". Not only did the mouth movement not line up, the loving voice didn't even match up (I swear to god it sounded like a 40 year old white teamster said the dubbed line). I guess the only way to combat this would be to have the actor/actress provide voicing for a "clean" version at the time you film the movie, thouggh, which us likely costly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

It annoyed me too, but Marvel and Netflix especially were probably piss-scared that it'd undermine the sense of stakes at play. It's the MCU's first major foray into more traditional "I fight street and organized crime" vigilante, which has been completely absent up to this point, and even pointing out how relatively rare and insane all the Avengers-related poo poo is wouldn't stop the audience from wondering why the gently caress Murdock and his crew aren't working tirelessly to contact Iron Man or Captain America to help clean up Fisk instead of handling it themselves at insane personal cost.

It really does seem to lessen the drama. " Hey the Russian Mafia kidnapped some little kid last night. Also a bunch of Dark Elves just tried to destroy the entire universe, Hydra almost killed 30% of the world's population and a sentient robot AI just turned a city into an astroid. "

Aphrodite posted:

They literally mention all of those things.
Yeah I know they did, my point was it seems like something of that magnitude would come up a bit more. I really do like the show but sticking a guy who fist fights muggers in the same universe as Infinity Gems and alien invasions makes you really not care too much about small stakes stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Some movies do film alternate "clean" takes of scenes, but not very often. Mostly they don't give a poo poo about how the movie will play down the line on TV.

Also, I'm not sure how you can say that Daredevil wasn't affected enough by the Avengers movie considering the very premise of the show is predicated on the attack. The series only happens because Hells Kitchen became de-gentrified after the attack. The rich people all took off in the aftermath.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As someone who really likes the series I've got to admit they do a terrible job establishing why a Manhattan neighborhood which in real life has been quite prosperous for over a decade now is suddenly in absolute poo poo circumstances again. Like yes the reference some big "thing" that happened but if I hadn't already known that Daredevil was in the MCU I honestly doubt I would have picked up on it. Even some basic long establishing shots would have gone a long way.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

As someone who really likes the series I've got to admit they do a terrible job establishing why a Manhattan neighborhood which in real life has been quite prosperous for over a decade now is suddenly in absolute poo poo circumstances again. Like yes the reference some big "thing" that happened but if I hadn't already known that Daredevil was in the MCU I honestly doubt I would have picked up on it. Even some basic long establishing shots would have gone a long way.

Hell's Kitchen has always been Daredevil's turf in the comics, and the fact that the neighborhood is doing well now escapes most of the viewers who just think that hell's kitchen sounds like a shity place.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, it's not like New York isn't a big city with over 8 million people, quite a few of whom would be familiar with Hell's Kitchen, and we all know no one ever moves away from the New York area after learning about it or can learn about the New York area if they live far away from it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Zaphod42 posted:

overdubbing talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkAbqhgfgRo
"well SCREW that"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, it's not like New York isn't a big city with over 8 million people, quite a few of whom would be familiar with Hell's Kitchen, and we all know no one ever moves away from the New York area after learning about it or can learn about the New York area if they live far away from it.

No one cares. Hell's Kitchen sounds bad rear end, like you need to be a hardass just to walk through it. It doesn't have to match reality. Because it isn't real.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Also it's not New York City, it's "New York City". The one that got invaded by aliens and has a building called Oscorp Tower.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No one cares. Hell's Kitchen sounds bad rear end, like you need to be a hardass just to walk through it. It doesn't have to match reality. Because it isn't real.

Not everyone is as blissfully ignorant as you.

Away all Goats posted:

Also it's not New York City, it's "New York City". The one that got invaded by aliens and has a building called Oscorp Tower.

Yes, and I'm saying Daredevil did a really poo poo job conveying that considering how the whole alien invasion part is essential to contextualizing why the neighborhood is so poo poo outside of "just cause." It doesn't really need to be for most people, but it is noticeable if you stop and think about it for half a second which someone else in this thread did and I took the time to expand upon. It ain't a big loving deal.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I guess it's easier to work with that stuff if you read real comics. Trying to combine super powered heroes who stop doomsday devices on a weekly basis and martial artists who stop street crime in the same universe is just something you roll with.

I'm willing to accept iron man and thor can't stop every street mugger so someone's gotta deal with the smaller stuff.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

This is immediately what I thought of. I really wish the ratings board had let that one through because it would've been perfect.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm sorry guys I guess my KNOWLEDGE of the WORLD is just TOO REAL FOR YOU TO HANDLE

*puts on shades to walk out of room, runs into door*

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

The Mark Wahlberg movie Shooter has an issue where the main character, Bob Lee Swagger is way too competent. Other than the scene early on when he's double crossed by the bad guys he always has the upper hand. Even at the end of the movie when you're lead to believe the bad guys beat him he has a secret weapon that proves he's innocent.

My irrationally irritating moment with this movie (which I watched when I was like 15 so I don't remember much else of the surely plentiful stupid moments) is when they talk about a dude getting assassinated, and they cut to a picture of him in an alleyway and a hand with a gun pops into the frame and shoots him in the back. It looks totally amateurish in a way that I can't really convey.

Also I will pile on the Daredevil chat and agree that they do a perfectly fine job of explaining why Hell's Kitchen is lovely, that crazy superhero poo poo happens, and that most people don't know the intricacies of gentrification in New York neighborhoods.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zaphod42 posted:

Even worse is when some character talks a bit and then walks off, and there's some parting shot line and its clear that was overdubbed in later and the character didn't actually say anything while they walked away.

Duke's not dead!

Damned if I can find the clip of it, but the old GI Joe movie killed Duke, but the company changed its mind so there's this hilariously blatant voiceover right at the end with someone shouting "Duke's woken up and he's gonna be okay!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Duke's not dead!

Damned if I can find the clip of it, but the old GI Joe movie killed Duke, but the company changed its mind so there's this hilariously blatant voiceover right at the end with someone shouting "Duke's woken up and he's gonna be okay!"

They also changed the death scene so that when he dies someone offscreen says "he went into a coma."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

1redflag posted:

Not irritating, but related is when theydub over foul language-heavy movies to make them suitable for TV. I was flipping through the channels a few years ago and White Men Can't Jump was onTNT or some poo poo, and there is a line when Rosie Perez jumps on Woody Harrelson's lap and says softly "Let's gently caress!", which in turn was dubbed into "Let's make love". Not only did the mouth movement not line up, the loving voice didn't even match up (I swear to god it sounded like a 40 year old white teamster said the dubbed line). I guess the only way to combat this would be to have the actor/actress provide voicing for a "clean" version at the time you film the movie, thouggh, which us likely costly.

Hahaha, my favorite example of this is Die Hard on broadcast cable TV. They change "Yippie ki yay motherfucker" into Yippie ki yay MELON FAMER". And its like a completely different person said it.

Die Hard 2 was "yippie ki yay mister falcon" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soeQ1i-tYAg :haw:

Gorilla Salad posted:

Duke's not dead!

Hahahahah I love it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Mark Wahlberg movie Shooter has an issue where the main character, Bob Lee Swagger is way too competent. Other than the scene early on when he's double crossed by the bad guys he always has the upper hand. Even at the end of the movie when you're lead to believe the bad guys beat him he has a secret weapon that proves he's innocent.

I don't disagree that he tends to look hyper-competent, but the plot twist that gets him off is actually set up at the beginning. They literally show him on-screen loving with the firing pin of his rifle before he leaves for the mission they contracted him for. Whilst that film has a lot of flaws, it's difficult to point up that as one of them.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Gorilla Salad posted:

Duke's not dead!

The transformers movie had the exact same ending, and horrified us 80s kids asking mommy why is the main best robot dead? G.I. Joe movie got its release shitcanned straight to vhs and they let duke live.
I never watched wrestling is the sergeant slaughter wrestler literally the GI joe guy? When duke goes to prison island or whatever he meets a wrestler? Who flies a helicopter?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Excuse me, I think you mean JOE island, and DON MOTHERFUCKING JOHNSON is the guy who goes there to learn how to be a badass from the Sarge.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Krinkle posted:

The transformers movie had the exact same ending, and horrified us 80s kids asking mommy why is the main best robot dead? G.I. Joe movie got its release shitcanned straight to vhs and they let duke live.
I never watched wrestling is the sergeant slaughter wrestler literally the GI joe guy? When duke goes to prison island or whatever he meets a wrestler? Who flies a helicopter?

yes, and they took him out of the cartoon when he became a (storyline) Iraqi sympathizer.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

John Big Booty posted:

You are not entirely correct.

Huh. It's been decades now but I've never seen it done that way. I thought the coke disolved in the water

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Alouicious posted:

yes, and they took him out of the cartoon when he became a (storyline) Iraqi sympathizer.

Saw sgt. Slaughter at a convention a few months back and he said he would get death threats and he had to go to his kids' school and speak to them about how he was just a character and to stop trying to start poo poo with his kids.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Having to suspend your disbelief as far as comic crossovers go is pretty paramount to enjoying them at all. Of course Daredevil should call Thor, but he won't, because it's Daredevil. Trust me, the same "but where's Spider-Man?" is on everyone's minds forever and ever when something bad happens in New York in another book, but just roll with it, baby. I know this is the irrational hate thread, and I do agree with you to a point.

Also since I'm being a sperg I'll touch on "werewolves aren't scary because nosferatu and cthulhu monsters are scarier". That's dumb, man. In most of these movies, other monsters like this are used as the "this ain't what you see on tv!" line before thrown away. Nosferatu probably would be scarier if he was in front of you, but he isn't, he's in black & white or accompanying John Malkovich. Also, some werewolf transformations can be pretty terrifying... especially the ones where a wolf eats it's way out of a human sack, stretches and cracks bones and poo poo... plus, that's just a mechanic in a loving pen & paper game. The same company that gave us sexy mummies, vampires scared of a cigarette lighter from across the room, and vampire hunters who main form of communicating is essentially 4chan.

You'd seriously see this poo poo and think to yourself, "well the creature of the black lagoon is scarier"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNieysjSZW4

(trap sprung)

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 22:08 on May 31, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If you're ever thinking to yourself "why is this piece of superhero fiction different from reality and why hasn't it explicitly explained these discrepancies to me?!" then the failing doesn't lie with the show, it lies with you for being a complete moron.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gorilla Salad posted:

Duke's not dead!

Was it Robotech or something where they'd blow the poo poo out of planes and have some offscreen voice be like "I can see their parachutes!"?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Light Gun Man posted:

Was it Robotech or something where they'd blow the poo poo out of planes and have some offscreen voice be like "I can see their parachutes!"?

Considering like 70% of the Earth literally gets wiped out in that show I doubt it.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Jun 1, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Firstborn posted:

Also since I'm being a sperg I'll touch on "werewolves aren't scary because nosferatu and cthulhu monsters are scarier". That's dumb, man. In most of these movies, other monsters like this are used as the "this ain't what you see on tv!" line before thrown away.

This scene is so goddamn ubiquitous and lazy. Every single time a movie has vampires and acknowledges the existence of vampires in fiction they have to have someone chide the everyman who didn't know there were vampires for real until two minutes ago and tell them what "the rules" actually are.

I want to see a comedy skit where someone sees a vampire, the vampire does this

just hisses as its caught in mid stalk, the person reaches for a crucifix off the wall and brandishes it righteously, the vampire doesn't react except to hiss again. A van helsing type kicks open the door and says nope crosses don't work you gotta use stakes. Vampire gets staked, hisses again, now a Blade type vampire hunter comes in and calls them both dummies.

The entire skit or whatever would just be an endless parade of vampire experts showing up to call the previous expert an idiot who watches too much tv, that "everything you know about vampires is wrong, X doesn't work, only Y does" and the vampire no matter how staked or garlicked or decapitated or fellated only makes the same pose and hisses like an alley cat and eventually they just put a tarp over him and give up because who knows man. Who even knows in this crazy world.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Voltron and Gatchaman both were chopped up when brought over to America. Gatchaman was probably the worst as it edited the show to make it seem like it took place on other planets. Also all of the violence was removed. Like in the first episode of Gatchaman they declared any building blown up to be abandoned and there was also a thing where some astronauts were attacked on the original they were killed but in the American version they were "rescued" off screen.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently the parachutes line was from a DBZ dub, hmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4ghsv04V0

Voltron and Gatchaman both were chopped up when brought over to America. Gatchaman was probably the worst as it edited the show to make it seem like it took place on other planets. Also all of the violence was removed. Like in the first episode of Gatchaman they declared any building blown up to be abandoned and there was also a thing where some astronauts were attacked on the original they were killed but in the American version they were "rescued" off screen.

Voltron is weird about this. Sven's Japanese equivalent dies, but in Voltron he gets injured and leaves the team. Later on in the original, his brother (I think) shows up for like an episode and looks exactly like him. Voltron obviously uses this as him, but I don't know if the writers actually knew that was coming or not. Then they order new Voltron-specific episodes and he appears in those as well as later original series the western owners developed on their own.

Light Gun Man has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Jun 1, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Who What Now posted:

If you're ever thinking to yourself "why is this piece of superhero fiction different from reality and why hasn't it explicitly explained these discrepancies to me?!" then the failing doesn't lie with the show, it lies with you for being a complete moron.

Y'know people get so defensive about this with put-downs I'm honestly starting to think there's more merit than something irrationally irritating. Almost like it's a legitimate complaint. Huh.

Krinkle posted:

This scene is so goddamn ubiquitous and lazy. Every single time a movie has vampires and acknowledges the existence of vampires in fiction they have to have someone chide the everyman who didn't know there were vampires for real until two minutes ago and tell them what "the rules" actually are.

I want to see a comedy skit where someone sees a vampire, the vampire does this

just hisses as its caught in mid stalk, the person reaches for a crucifix off the wall and brandishes it righteously, the vampire doesn't react except to hiss again. A van helsing type kicks open the door and says nope crosses don't work you gotta use stakes. Vampire gets staked, hisses again, now a Blade type vampire hunter comes in and calls them both dummies.

The entire skit or whatever would just be an endless parade of vampire experts showing up to call the previous expert an idiot who watches too much tv, that "everything you know about vampires is wrong, X doesn't work, only Y does" and the vampire no matter how staked or garlicked or decapitated or fellated only makes the same pose and hisses like an alley cat and eventually they just put a tarp over him and give up because who knows man. Who even knows in this crazy world.

Call John Landis a child murderer because he is, but Max Landis' anecdote about how John told him what the rules of a vampire were as a kid was pretty brilliant.

"How do you kill a vampire? However you want. Vampires aren't real."

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh. It's been decades now but I've never seen it done that way. I thought the coke disolved in the water
Freebase isn't very soluble in water. You might lose a bit of it in the water, but not enough to matter.

Or so I have read. *cough*

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mind the walrus posted:

Call John Landis a child murderer because he is, but Max Landis' anecdote about how John told him what the rules of a vampire were as a kid was pretty brilliant.

"How do you kill a vampire? However you want. Vampires aren't real."

For ages now I've been trying to remember where I heard this, so thanks for posting it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My newest irrational irritating thing is admittedly based on ignorance (I have a feeling I'd be too grossed out to watch them proper), but here goes:

Human Centipede. Dude wants to sew three folks together into the titular creature. Presumably he doesn't want the thing to just die hours after doing the sewing, but how are the second/third folks in the chain supposed to not die? You can't eat poo!

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Jun 1, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As someone who has watched it, that's a major plot point in the movie because the people unlucky enough to be on the back end do start to get sick and die and stuff

edit: So uh, I guess you can take solace in the fact that at least they addressed it? v:v:v

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah, the guy in the movie is stupid and deluded and it doesn't work at all.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I saw the original "gently caress" version in theaters and, as someone with no problem with bad language, it didn't really fit the tone of the movie. It was out of place and, if it wasn't such an awkward dub, there'd be nobody saying "she should have said gently caress"

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

I still can't believe this literal trash show about a sad-eyed, homo vampire and his loser werewolf bud contains what is now my absolute gold-standard for all werewolf transformation scenes, ever. It's not even that good of a show, but Christ the transformations and the season finales are absolutely crazysauce awesome, especially the first season.

HIS FACE. GOT EATEN. OFF. DID I MENTION OFF? OFF, LIKE ALL THE WAY OFF!

There are multiple episodes were nothing loving happens except the vamp and the werewolf brood, smoke cigs and eyefuck each other over messy corpses. And then the writers wake up out of their comas and blow my mind with the ending. Stupid trash show. I wish Netflix had the balls to make them stop eyefucking and start just loving.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In the Robocop remake during the 'reveal' of Robocop to the public there is literally a wanted criminal just hanging out in the crowd which is surrounded by police officers, standing in front of the police headquarters. :wtc:

It's not like he was even disguised, wearing sunglasses and a hat or something. Just a wanted criminal, hanging out in front of police headquarters and having a look at the new supercop.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, the guy in the movie is stupid and deluded and it doesn't work at all.
The entire movie is hilarious but god, it was hysterical how when the two detectives started questioning the doctor about the missing tourists, the doctor leaps up, screams something like "How dare you! You think there is a connection! WHAT A NERVE!" and shoves his roofied glass of water in their faces. When that doesn't work, the doctor excuses himself and comes back with a needle hidden in a towel. When the detectives catch what he's doing, they believe him when he says that it's insulin.

I don't know why but when a character in something acts very over-the-top suspicious and no one else in the story notices, it's both irritating and hilarious. The Lovely Bones had that problem with the serial killer dude. But on the other hand, it was great when Stanley Tucci somehow got nominated for that role at the Oscar's because right after they played the clip, he rolled his eyes and mouthed "awful" to himself.