Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

OhYeah posted:

I suspected as much, but I can't remember if it was actually confirmed in the books. If it was, then when and where and by whom?

I think Sam finds it in his research and then Jon is like "whoops, there's only like 4 of these things in the world and noone will give them to us, ever".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yeah it was theorized based on sam's reading, but never tested

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think Sam finds it in his research and then Jon is like "whoops, there's only like 4 of these things in the world and noone will give them to us, ever".

Aren't there supposed to be hundreds of Valyrian steel weapons out there in Westeros?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't know if there are hundreds of blades but there are definitely a few dozens, if House loving Drumm of Old Wyk has a Valyrian sword there's obviously quite a few pieces, not to mention a valyrian steel dagger in Robert's armory nobody even noticed went missing when Joff stole it back in the first book. Or some sellsword in essos having a valyrian steel arakh, etc.

The Wiki has a list of known and lost Valyrian blades - http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Valyrian_steel

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The Night's King looks like Darth Maul and is therefore a dumb design.

Bring back the walkers from the end of season 3 goddammit.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hardhome was a cool action scene and Dinklage putting Clarke on his shoulders made for a good scene too. Everything else seemed very "just checkin in on ya" but i did also like Qyburns little "the work continues" wink.

Also im convinced stannis takes winterfell now because how else is davos or whoever going to go on Rickonquest?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't know if there are hundreds of blades but there are definitely a few dozens, if House loving Drumm of Old Wyk has a Valyrian sword there's obviously quite a few pieces, not to mention a valyrian steel dagger in Robert's armory nobody even noticed went missing when Joff stole it back in the first book. Or some sellsword in essos having a valyrian steel arakh, etc.

The Wiki has a list of known and lost Valyrian blades - http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Valyrian_steel

I don't know why the words "hundreds of blades" stuck with me, I vaguely remember reading something along these lines the books. Still more than four. :downs:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The relevant sentence is "Valyrian steel blades were scarce and costly, yet thousands remained in the world, perhaps two hundred in the Seven Kingdoms alone." - you did see that.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

A small number of maesters, including Maester Luwin and Archmaester Marwyn, have Valyrian steel links in their collars, representing their study of magic and occultism. Marwyn also has a ring, a rod and a mask of Valyrian steel.

Since it appears that the White Walkers just up and shatter instantly when they come into contact with Valyrian steel, can we get some sick Valyrian steel mask headbutting action? Sam goes to Oldtown, gets the above mentioned items, and decks a couple walkers with his big head and magic rod :black101:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

waiting for the epic horse chase with valyrian steel spikestrips

I liked that episode but it was really funny where jon was like "everyone who joins will get one of these" and has the dragonglass but then when he needs his dragonglass, instead of carrying it on him like any sane person out behind the wall would, he had it stored at the bottom of his trunk wrapped in three layers of dramatic tension cloak.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 1, 2015

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

yeah it was theorized based on sam's reading, but never tested

Dragonsteel in the book was thought to be Valerian steel

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Night's King dude in the show looks like a total wimp.

They should have made it some super jacked dude instead.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Aurain posted:

The Night's King dude in the show looks like a total wimp.

They should have made it some super jacked dude instead.

They should've made him something ethereal and alien, considering the whole point of the Others is that they're basically the Unseelie. God only knows why the producers thought Crappy Wrinkled Ice Monster was better.

Incidentally my initial viewing of the TV show lasted one scene; I saw their terrible design for the Others and immediately stopped watching. I decided to start viewing again when they were moving the plot on from the books.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I was like, hey, a new strong female character making good decisions and oh, she has kids and oh, they are going on the boat without her too bad she is going to die and then she sees dead children and of course she then stops being able to fight because she is a woman and children are their secret weakness.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/31/game-thrones-lady-stoneheart/article_2205333

Regarding the earlier discussion of LOTR and this series, George talks a bit in this interview about how much the death of Gandalf and Boromir affected him.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The scene where she said goodbye to her kids was such a hard ripoff of that scene from the two towers (so and so says he cant ride so and so-a-mer, he is too big!) i actually thought that scene happened in GOT when olliy's farm town got attacked for a second and they were doing it in reverse on purpose to show some wildlings are jist like them.

Turns out i was actually just super high

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Holy poo poo its so obvious Olly is going to kill Jon. I feel embarrassed that i had to have that pointed out by an ep review.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Holy poo poo its so obvious Olly is going to kill Jon. I feel embarrassed that i had to have that pointed out by an ep review.

And Sam gave him the green light. Good job, Sam.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Huh, wasn't expecting that. A proper White Walker scene that I've been waiting for since I read the GoT prologue and, at long last, Tyrion and Dany interaction. Too bad it took seven episodes of poo poo to get to it, but maybe there's hope for the show giving us a somewhat satisfactory ending after all.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

OhYeah posted:

I don't know why the words "hundreds of blades" stuck with me, I vaguely remember reading something along these lines the books. Still more than four. :downs:

The relevant sentence is "Valyrian steel blades were scarce and costly, yet thousands remained in the world, perhaps two hundred in the Seven Kingdoms alone." - you did see that.

I think GRRM's "problem understanding numbers" comes in to play when talking about the scarcity of Valyrian steel. He claims that there are a few hundred / few thousand, but at the same time claims that they're scarce enough that all the gold of Casterly Rock can't buy one. The Lannisters have been trying to buy one for a very long time, and haven't been able to get anyone willing to part with one for any price.

The Lannisters also have some guy who knows how to melt down existing Valyrian steel and reforge it into a new shape. That guy has to have had stuff to experiment with and practice on in order to learn how to do it. Where did he get his stuff? :iiam:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Most of them probably have historical value to the families in question, at least in westeros. Not giving up the family heirloom out of pride seems par for the course, though you're right that it's weird that no one at all would sell one. Maybe they've never gotten a reasonable asking price - I don't think they were literally willing to pay all the gold in casterly rock for a sword because that's stupid.

I agree re: the smith and that was one of the questions I had "oh that guy can forge them, which he learned to do by...???" - though I guess the citadel can forge valyrian steel chain links.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trivia posted:

The Night's King looks like Darth Maul and is therefore a dumb design.

Bring back the walkers from the end of season 3 goddammit.

Darth Maul was the only good thing about the prequels.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jorah Mormont was so deep in debt he started trading in slaves yet he didn't sell Longclaw, his father on the other hand, instead of leaving this priceless family heirloom to his sister and her many warrior-daughters gives it to some random Stark bastard whom he knew for like three months, go figure.

Tywin Lannister not being able to acquire a blade when a loving sellsword captain in Essos carries one and tons of houses which could've easily been coerced into selling exist in westeros is ridiculous.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Jorah Mormont was so deep in debt he started trading in slaves yet he didn't sell Longclaw, his father on the other hand, instead of leaving this priceless family heirloom to his sister and her many warrior-daughters gives it to some random Stark bastard whom he knew for like three months, go figure.

That was the worst part. And see readers, it's a bastard sword. Get it? A bastard sword? For Jon Snow? Cause he's a bastard? Get it readers?

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Mnemosyne posted:

The Lannisters also have some guy who knows how to melt down existing Valyrian steel and reforge it into a new shape. That guy has to have had stuff to experiment with and practice on in order to learn how to do it. Where did he get his stuff? :iiam:

I asked this earlier too and it always bugged me. I know it's a fantasy world and crap but I thought it was kind of a minor mistake on GRRM's part.

Then again maybe Valyrian weapons can be smelted down and recast into a new mold and they don't need reworked or something? No idea I don't make swords for a living. Wouldn't that harm the integrity of the weapon?

Maybe making the steel itself is lost to people but it acts like normal steel kind of like how mythril was easy to work with but extremely powerful.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I always got the sense that nobody knew how to make Valyrian steel itself but once you have some it's no big deal melting it down and reforging it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In the books Tobho Mott is said to know how to rework valyrian steel, i doubt this involves melting them down first that was just the show basically paying homage to conan the barbarian, to be honest it's probably also the easiest way to visualize the whole 'taking ice and reforging it into two new swords' thing without confusing anyone.

The books basically go on and on about how valyrian swords have these ripples because the steel has been folded on itself so many times, it's not just about the type of steel used but also about the actual process and magic spells cast during the actual forging process.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Tyrion wondered where the metal for this one had come from. A few master armorers could rework old Valyrian steel, but the secrets of its making had been lost when the Doom came to old Valyria. “The colors are strange,” he commented as he turned the blade in the sunlight. Most Valyrian steel was a grey so dark it looked almost black, as was true here as well. But blended into the folds was a red as deep as the grey. The two colors lapped over one another without ever touching, each ripple distinct, like waves of night and blood upon some steely shore. “How did you get this patterning? I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“Nor I, my lord,” said the armorer. “I confess, these colors were not what I intended, and I do not know that I could duplicate them. Your lord father had asked for the crimson of your House, and it was that color I set out to infuse into the metal. But Valyrian steel is stubborn. These old swords remember, it is said, and they do not change easily. I worked half a hundred spells and brightened the red time and time again, but always the color would darken, as if the blade was drinking the sun from it. And some folds would not take the red at all, as you can see. If my lords of Lannister are displeased, I will of course try again, as many times as you should require, but—”

-Storm of Swords.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

OhYeah posted:

A battle scene that doesn't make you cringe and is actually pumps up your adrenaline? Check.

The wight scene was terrible, though. My view of the others/wights were that of a slow, seemingly unstoppable and extremely durable force that is slowly encroaching on the wildlings and the wall. Not some paper-mache generic skeleton ghouls that are super fast, super loud, and super boring along with their scrotum-skinned masters.

Stupid.

e:

Dangerllama posted:

No one else disappointed they turned the white walkers into World War Z style fast zombies? Complete with an overhead shot of whatshername being "eaten" by zombie kids (what?) I mean I get that they are zombies in the book, but I always pictured them…differently. Not as parkour skeletons.

Exactly.

kill you are self fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 1, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Little dude was created with the sole purpose of killing everything Jon loves before culminating in the man himself, so why not.

"Daario is arguably more essential to Dany's journey [than Belwas]"
When was the last time he poo poo on the battlefield, EW? He's essentially Dany's kin.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
They melted Ice. Valyrian steel can be melted and reforged.

But they can't put whatever Valyrian magic back into it so Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper are probably just really high quality swords but they'll be all shattered and poo poo by the ice zombies because they're now just good steel instead of magic steel.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

But they can't put whatever Valyrian magic back into it so Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper are probably just really high quality swords but they'll be all shattered and poo poo by the ice zombies because they're now just good steel instead of magic steel.

That passage above about the old steel is stubborn and remembers makes me think those dark ripples wouldn't shatter but the red ripples would.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
After reading up on all the nights king stuff I feel like Melisandre is going to end up being the night queen lady who he had the hots for.

Her interaction with the flaming sword monk kind of doesnt jive there but who knows

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Tobho Mott says he used a bunch of spells to rework it, so it should be at least kinda magical. Though where he would learn spells from is another mystery.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I was like, hey, a new strong female character making good decisions and oh, she has kids and oh, they are going on the boat without her too bad she is going to die and then she sees dead children and of course she then stops being able to fight because she is a woman and children are their secret weakness.

That was kind of stupid yes, but we got lot of those "made for idiots" scenes in other series as well. Remember Lost and all the bullshit Kate episodes? Gotta have something for the desperate housewives there too.

Syncopated posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/31/game-thrones-lady-stoneheart/article_2205333

Regarding the earlier discussion of LOTR and this series, George talks a bit in this interview about how much the death of Gandalf and Boromir affected him.

Wait, Gandalf didn't die. Can't this man finish any book, even when it's not his own?

Mnemosyne posted:

I think GRRM's "problem understanding numbers" comes in to play when talking about the scarcity of Valyrian steel. He claims that there are a few hundred / few thousand, but at the same time claims that they're scarce enough that all the gold of Casterly Rock can't buy one. The Lannisters have been trying to buy one for a very long time, and haven't been able to get anyone willing to part with one for any price.

Most of them are probably family heirlooms with enormous emotional value. I think most people also attributed magic properties to these weapons, so selling one would probably be considered dangerous and unwise.

Mnemosyne posted:

I guess when there are a couple of hundred blades in Westeros, and more in the Free Cities there will be at least a few smiths who have experience with them. Kind of niche, specialist deal.

Most of them probably have historical value to the families in question, at least in westeros. Not giving up the family heirloom out of pride seems par for the course, though you're right that it's weird that no one at all would sell one. Maybe they've never gotten a reasonable asking price - I don't think they were literally willing to pay all the gold in casterly rock for a sword because that's stupid.

FAKE EDIT: Beaten like Cersei at the sept.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Tywin Lannister not being able to acquire a blade when a loving sellsword captain in Essos carries one and tons of houses which could've easily been coerced into selling exist in westeros is ridiculous.

Mormont was a very wise man and probably in all of his years as the Lord Commander immediately recognized something special in John Snow. As for the sellsword in Essos... "this weapon is your life". I'd hate to quote a retarded person, but maybe that's the way sellswords look at their prized Valyrian blades. They ARE your life. If you lose it, or sell it, you're cursed, dead.

Ron Jeremy posted:

That was the worst part. And see readers, it's a bastard sword. Get it? A bastard sword? For Jon Snow? Cause he's a bastard? Get it readers?

:stare: I didn't get it. I just thought "okay it's not a shortsword, and not a longsword, something in between". Bastard sword for a bastard boy, very clever. :jerkbag:

That's an interesting thought, but some of the evidence suggest that they keep most of whatever supernatural properties they had prior to being worked on.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I was reading the TV iv thread. These people are going to be really upset when Jon gets killed.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Mnemosyne posted:

Tobho Mott says he used a bunch of spells to rework it, so it should be at least kinda magical. Though where he would learn spells from is another mystery.

I think Tobho is associated with the faceless men (has the black and weirwood doors, is from essos).

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

RC Cola posted:

I was reading the TV iv thread. These people are going to be really upset when Jon gets killed.

After that Olly & Sam scene, at least some people have to see it coming, right?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

CaptainRightful posted:

After that Olly & Sam scene, at least some people have to see it coming, right?

It's the most painful telegraphing I have seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
The best armourers learn how to reforge valyrian steel in Quhorik ; the free city thlobbering Vargo Hoat is from. It's heavily implied that they need blood sacrifices to make it work.