Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DeceasedHorse posted:

What's the installation process like with a hybrid (water?) cooler like? I've heard some horror stories from friends about dealing with water blocks, although I think those may have been custom jobs rather than something that came with the card.

Are the advantages of the hybrid cooler primarily acoustic, or are their performance benefits as well ? I wouldn't mind something a little quieter than the r9 290 reference car/ jet engine I'm currently running with.

Typically a few screws and the rad side is as easy as installing a 120mm fan.

Gwaihir posted:

Water coolers are great on GPUs in general, even if they're not significantly quieter than stuff like MSI's custom cooler, they do really well in performance. Something about GPU dies being so much larger than CPUs maybe? I think 20+ degrees cooler than comparable air is pretty standard.

You are also doing direct die cooling vs a heatspreader.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh yea, that's the big difference, haha. Durr.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DeceasedHorse posted:

What's the installation process like with a hybrid (water?) cooler like? I've heard some horror stories from friends about dealing with water blocks, although I think those may have been custom jobs rather than something that came with the card.

Are the advantages of the hybrid cooler primarily acoustic, or are their performance benefits as well ? I wouldn't mind something a little quieter than the r9 290 reference car/ jet engine I'm currently running with.

It's like a CPU AIO except pre-mounted. Remove from box, insert GPU tab A into PCI-E slot B, screw radiator onto free 120mm mount (preferably exhaust rather than intake). Plug in power cables and you're done.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 1, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DeceasedHorse posted:

Really the only horror stories that come from custom watercooling are when you get too drunk and forget to remove the 8pin from your motherboard before doing a leaktest.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Really the only horror stories that come from custom watercooling are when you get too drunk and forget to remove the 8pin from your motherboard before doing a leaktest.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily rule out the involvement of alcohol regarding my friend's experiences

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487139

In stock for now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Welp, did a thing.

Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 1, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Hamburger Test posted:

According to Techpowerup not great this time around. Which is why I'll be waiting for a custom, unless the webshop I mentioned earlier honors the 30% pricing error.

It wasn't actually the sticker :bahgawd:

oh :( like the intel tim thing im guessing. What was it?

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Welp, did a thing.

Thanks!

I didn't want to be the only dumb early adopter.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

That reminds me, I really need to put that SC bios on my Titan X.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Dont worry its not like prices really drop except way towards the end and even then its not by much.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Gwaihir posted:

Oh yea, that's the big difference, haha. Durr.
I think the real difference is that on CPUs its really easy to put a giant tower radiator with heat pipes right on top of the CPU, but with videocards you are super height-constrained. Even a triple-slot cooler can't be very tall when you include the fans. Air cooling excels when you have room because heat pipes are way better at moving heat a smallish distance than pumped water, but if you want to move heat a further distance and have to make it work in a variety of case configurations, water cooling starts to kick rear end. It really surprised me too, I figured lower-end water coolers would have unacceptably high liquid temperatures when cooling GPUs but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Somebody strap a Noctua NH-D15 on their 980 Ti somehow and report back.

Highdea: For a long time I've been wanting someone to make an integrated case and cooling solution, like build the case around the CPU and videocard heatsinks for optimal airflow and cooling. Thermaltake had a case that put components in separate boxes but it was actually kind of poo poo.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 2, 2015

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

oh :( like the intel tim thing im guessing. What was it?

They have not released that information. Best I have is that the fan refused to spin when the voltage increase wasn't high enough, so basically it wouldn't always spin up at low workloads, for example when it was helping decode youtube videos; but that it had happened to fans that had never had the sticker.

Maybe a bad production run on the fans?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gwaihir posted:

Water coolers are great on GPUs in general, even if they're not significantly quieter than stuff like MSI's custom cooler, they do really well in performance. Something about GPU dies being so much larger than CPUs maybe? I think 20+ degrees cooler than comparable air is pretty standard.

Surface area is probably a factor too, but it's also just a much greater quantity of heat to transport. Realistically unless you're overclocking a CPU pretty hard you're doing liquid cooling for the lower noise profile. But GPUs put out so much heat that I think it makes a lot more sense. I think 250W is about the upper limit of what can be realistically accomplished using heat pipes/heatsink/fan, beyond there you start having to take heroic measures like the Devil 13 (air cooled 295x2).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Alereon posted:

Highdea: For a long time I've been wanting someone to make an integrated case and cooling solution, like build the case around the CPU and videocard heatsinks for optimal airflow and cooling. Thermaltake had a case that put components in separate boxes but it was actually kind of poo poo.

That's more or less what the HAF Test Bench cases are designed to do - expose as much airflow as physically possible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Another milestone: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125706

First time I've seen a 970 below $300 without a rebate or coupon code. Granted, it's a single-fan ITX, and it seemingly doesn't come with a Witcher 3 code, but it's a good start.

And I honestly prefer the Air 540 to the HAF, but they're pretty much the same thing - it's just that the HAF was *designed* to be used horizontally, while some bright bulb at Corsair decided vertical was the way to go, making customers go out and buy their own rubber feet.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 2, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Alereon posted:

I think the real difference is that on CPUs its really easy to put a giant tower radiator with heat pipes right on top of the CPU, but with videocards you are super height-constrained. Even a triple-slot cooler can't be very tall when you include the fans. Air cooling excels when you have room because heat pipes are way better at moving heat a smallish distance than pumped water, but if you want to move heat a further distance and have to make it work in a variety of case configurations, water cooling starts to kick rear end. It really surprised me too, I figured lower-end water coolers would have unacceptably high liquid temperatures when cooling GPUs but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Somebody strap a Noctua NH-D15 on their 980 Ti somehow and report back.

There was that Zalman? I think case where the entire case functioned as the heatsink, and it had built in heatpipe mounts to attach to your CPU and so on. I think it was both super expensive and sorta garbage though :(

(Also I had a GTX-480 and Thermalright Spitfire heatsink, which I guess is the closest you could get to an HN-D15 on a GPU! That was an exceptionally poor choice of video card, but, welp, the spitfire did a hell of a job cooling it. Kept that thing around 60 ish degrees under load, which was a real accomplishment for a GTX480.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Another milestone: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125706

First time I've seen a 970 below $300 without a rebate or coupon code. Granted, it's a single-fan ITX, and it seemingly doesn't come with a Witcher 3 code, but it's a good start.

I couldn't remember seeing one either, but a wise person in another thread pointed out that the launch MSRP for the 970 was $299.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I thought it was $329

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah I had just the nzxt bracket and an AIO on a 780ti and I could barely touch 50 degrees OC'd to the max, voltage as high as I could go. With the air cooler I could get into the low 80's. Water cooling kicked rear end for temps and the fan just stayed at a constant low speed. The difference between 30% and 100% fan speed was a few degrees so I ended up leaving it on the stock profile because the volume just never changed that way.

Problem was with that particular card I didn't gain many mhz as I was already near the stability limit of the chip apparently. So it wasn't really worth it $ wise, but that's just the gamble imo. It was still a 20% increase over (admittedly low) reference clocks, with 15% seen in fps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've only seen full size 970s at 329.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don Lapre posted:

I thought it was $329

You're right!

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I had that gigabyte 970 model. There's a reason it's the cheapest.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Gwaihir posted:

(Also I had a GTX-480 and Thermalright Spitfire heatsink, which I guess is the closest you could get to an HN-D15 on a GPU! That was an exceptionally poor choice of video card, but, welp, the spitfire did a hell of a job cooling it. Kept that thing around 60 ish degrees under load, which was a real accomplishment for a GTX480.)
Yeah the Spitfire is kinda like what I'm thinking about here, the problem is you can't get too interesting and still maintain broad compatibility with cooling solutions and cases from different vendors. What really attracts me to a highly integrated solution is that you can abuse the hell out of ducting to route airflow with fewer, quieter fans.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Is there a program I can use to adjust what settings/resolution a game uses other than Nvidia control panel? I'm having a problem with Shadow of Mordor where it's detecting my native resolution incorrectly as 1920x1080 instead of 3840x2160, so its rendering 3840x2160, then scaling it down to 1920x1080.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

This is funny I click on the link and it is in stock then click back to this thread and back to the link and it is out of stock.

Not buying one just thought the timing was funny.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Lowtechs posted:

This is funny I click on the link and it is in stock then click back to this thread and back to the link and it is out of stock.

Not buying one just thought the timing was funny.

That happened to me too between replies

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I got an autonotice from EVGA that the ACX backplate version was in stock. By the time I managed to actually load up the site, which is crawling, it was gone. They do list the reference model as being in stock right now, if any body is interested.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4990-KR

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

How much is the hybrid version vs buying the reference and the hybrid kit.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Don Lapre posted:

How much is the hybrid version vs buying the reference and the hybrid kit.

Not sure if you mean the hybrid Titan or Ti, but if the Ti pricing follows the Titan pricing you'll be saving about 2 bucks putting it together yourself as well as probably voiding your warranty (someone who knows better please chime in on this bit, I'd like to know for certain). EVGA essentially pre-installs the unit at no additional cost for labor, and gives you their warranty as though it were a brand new card, which is fair because it is. The real trick is going to be getting it at that good price from EVGA, because the Ti Hybrid will probably go the way of the hybrid Titan and be very hard to find (except from Newegg, who will charge a $200 premium to idiots like me who will pay it).

I'm currently praying that the 120mm radiator has long enough tubing to go where I want it to go, just to keep me from having to do any case fan shenanigans. I am so loving ready to not be listening to this R9 290 anymore. I like its performance just fine, but it's like having an airport runway 18 inches from my head. It also has no CUDA cores which means no gpu acceleration in IRay, but at least I have a buddy who needs a gpu upgrade and doesn't need that 3d rendering capability so it will go to a good home.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The aftermarket hybrid Titan X cooling kit from EVGA(?) will work on 980 Ti, right? I'm a little worried about how loud the blowers will get, since my computer sits on my desktop.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rocketpriest posted:

Not sure if you mean the hybrid Titan or Ti, but if the Ti pricing follows the Titan pricing you'll be saving about 2 bucks putting it together yourself as well as probably voiding your warranty (someone who knows better please chime in on this bit, I'd like to know for certain). EVGA essentially pre-installs the unit at no additional cost for labor, and gives you their warranty as though it were a brand new card, which is fair because it is. The real trick is going to be getting it at that good price from EVGA, because the Ti Hybrid will probably go the way of the hybrid Titan and be very hard to find (except from Newegg, who will charge a $200 premium to idiots like me who will pay it).

I'm currently praying that the 120mm radiator has long enough tubing to go where I want it to go, just to keep me from having to do any case fan shenanigans. I am so loving ready to not be listening to this R9 290 anymore. I like its performance just fine, but it's like having an airport runway 18 inches from my head. It also has no CUDA cores which means no gpu acceleration in IRay, but at least I have a buddy who needs a gpu upgrade and doesn't need that 3d rendering capability so it will go to a good home.

EVGA, MSI, ASus and im sure others do not void warranties for removing the stock cooler.

Subjunctive posted:

The aftermarket hybrid Titan X cooling kit from EVGA(?) will work on 980 Ti, right? I'm a little worried about how loud the blowers will get, since my computer sits on my desktop.

Yes, they will work on any reference 980, 980ti, or titan x. From any manufacturer as long as its reference board and cooler.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, they will work on any reference 980, 980ti, or titan x. From any manufacturer as long as its reference board and cooler.

Thank you!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.php/news/hardware/vgacards/35572-computex-amd-fiji-aka-fury-x-slower-than-geforce-gtx-980-ti.html

Gdamn amd.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rumored slower than an 980ti and initially priced at $850. That is not a good place for AMD to be. Not to mention drawing up to 375 watts, and suggesting a 700 watt supply. I have a good 660w supply, which I am sure would work, but even then it isn't sounding like something I would buy.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Oh it powers on, it just doesn't have a BIOS and can't display anything. Also make sure you have a 700W PSU :laffo:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Panty Saluter posted:

Oh it powers on, it just doesn't have a BIOS and can't display anything. Also make sure you have a 700W PSU :laffo:

700w*

*900w if you also use an FX cpu

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If there's some way to shove these top-tier iGPUs into a NUC form factor, you've got a really compelling Steambox or powerful HTPC.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm no AMD fanboy, but surely a source with a device that can't be actually used isn't a very good source for evaluating performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rastor posted:

I'm no AMD fanboy, but surely a source with a device that can't be actually used isn't a very good source for evaluating performance?

"The partner did hint at the performance. Apparently the Radeon Fury X ought to be slower than the GeForce GTX 980 Ti."