Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

I wonder if they are trying to do a small on die FPGA for dynamic instruction set add ons or something. Like if there is some cool new encryption algorithm or something they could just sell the fpga program as an add on, instead of waiting for it to be added and tested in a brand new processor, which also lets them do hardware patches like that one thing that haswell hosed up or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Five years of these CPU releases that barely budge the performance needle. This is really getting tiresome.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

HalloKitty posted:

Holy poo poo snacks, those iGPU numbers are seriously impressive. Well, they out-AMD'd AMD in that market, and now it's looking reasonable to build an HTPC/entry level gaming machine with no GPU. That's one hell of a small, efficient box.

Well for HTPC at least ARM based systems are much much smaller and more efficient and cheaper than anything you'll get from Intel or AMD. You can build a nice Pi2 HTPC for 1080p that never draws more than 4W for $50, good luck doing that with x86.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Pryor on Fire posted:

Five years of these CPU releases that barely budge the performance needle. This is really getting tiresome.

so is this

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

go3 posted:

so is this

Great post, thanks for contributing!

Really if we had anything even resembling a worthwhile anti trust body in this country Intel would be broken up and forced to compete again. At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if they started decreasing performance while increasing prices, nobody could stop them.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
If desktop users were a big enough market they would probably focus more on products for us but it makes more sense economically for them to focus on servers and mobile. Extracting more single-threaded performance at this point is difficult and expensive, so combined with the shrinking desktop market they don't have the financial incentive to really put a lot of effort into it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Intel has been focusing on cutting power and increasing GPU performance with great gains but because CPU performance isn't going up like it used to they just aren't trying

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
We are literally going to run out of atoms to shave off the transistors in the next 5 years because Intel is being a complacent, anti-competitive monopoly.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Pryor on Fire posted:

From a power users perspective yes but when it comes to mobile, efficiency and datacenter things have drastically improved but we don't see much of that.

Looking at the current roadmap I'm not even sure if Cannonlake will be much of a upgrade.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
The iGPU numbers blew me away. There is hope now that even if AMD dies I can have a tiny form factor gaming PC. I wonder if nvidia will play nice with intel iGPUs when DX12 launches.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you think it's been limited to 5 years you weren't paying attention. 10 years ago with the death of P4 marked the end of chasing performance at all costs. Things have gotten a lot smarter and features have to be a win across power/perf, not just single a single dimension.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Really if we had anything even resembling a worthwhile anti trust body in this country Intel would be broken up and forced to compete again. At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if they started decreasing performance while increasing prices, nobody could stop them.
Intel's going to be eaten alive by ARM. ARM's an ecosystem, if it's possible for competition to provide some bearing on CPU design (if you've got a cite i'd appreciate it) they'll capture that. They're smaller scale now, but just look at any industry titan that lost prominence after ceding lower-end manufacturing experience to competitors that got better with all the practice. Steel, textiles, mobile CPU's graduating to the desktop is next.

How would you even break Intel up? Split design teams? Split design from silicon/process? I don't see how any of these actually improve CPU performance since those gains take a lot of careful research. You can't really will them into existence, free market worship or not.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How are you getting that ARM is beating Intel?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tab8715 posted:

How are you getting that ARM is beating Intel?

Well, unit sales of smartphones + tablets vs laptops paints a pretty dire picture. Then you look at CPU sales in USD and realize its a false comparison.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Shipping 1000:1 is a nice start. If we're comparing dollars for some reason I'd prefer it be market cap, why exactly would per-unit cost merit any discussion? I posted the mechanism by which higher volumes train competitors to come up the stack towards premium products. Did you have some metric where you thought Intel was ahead?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Let's take one step back, what is and why are we measuring by market cap?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

Shipping 1000:1 is a nice start. If we're comparing dollars for some reason I'd prefer it be market cap, why exactly would per-unit cost merit any discussion? I posted the mechanism by which higher volumes train competitors to come up the stack towards premium products. Did you have some metric where you thought Intel was ahead?

Profitability, market cap, and a lower price/earnings, especially vs the major ARM manufacturers like Qualcomm. Intel's margins are enormous compared to them.

Growth could be a problem, I'll give you that. Right now Intel is making money hand over fist. Because anybody can make ARM chips, they are doomed to become a commodity.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There's no question Intel is coming from behind in the markets ARM rules, but they are coming. First they were getting design wins in tablets, then smartphones, soon smartwatches and other devices. They are losing a billion dollars a quarter on muscling into mobile and yet they are operating at a tidy profit so I imagine they're prepared to continue that spending for as long as it takes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It was probably pretty stupid of Intel to let go of Xscale and then not to jump on the iphone CPU but a couple of years ago people still laughed at the idea of an x86 Intel CPU in a phone, and yet now they're shipping competitive phones and small tables.

Yeah I'm annoyed by the lack of progress in desktop performance but sadly there just hasn't been any reason for masses to demand that. Most people just need to run Office/Chrome poo poo that even my ancient Core 2 Quad does perfectly fine. Even games don't need a top-end CPU, so really you're only looking at a small subset that needs to run calculations or rendering on their desktops, which is a tiny minority of users. It's not the lack of competition, it's the lack of demand, mostly.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Rastor posted:

There's no question Intel is coming from behind in the markets ARM rules, but they are coming. First they were getting design wins in tablets, then smartphones, soon smartwatches and other devices. They are losing a billion dollars a quarter on muscling into mobile and yet they are operating at a tidy profit so I imagine they're prepared to continue that spending for as long as it takes.

I doubt the mobile market wants to pay $380 for a CPU in a $600 phone. They'll gladly accept intel's bribes, go thru the motions and release some android device. Windows phones and tablets are another story, not a relevant one for now.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

mobby_6kl posted:

Even games don't need a top-end CPU, so really you're only looking at a small subset that needs to run calculations or rendering on their desktops, which is a tiny minority of users. It's not the lack of competition, it's the lack of demand, mostly.

And for any kind of professional rendering or hardcore scientific calculations, you end up with a dual socket Xeon workstation from a real OEM, and then stuff it full of 64+ GB of ECC RAM. And most/all scientific calcs and render jobs are stupidly multithreaded, so they scale really well to 8/12/24 cores of Xeon goodness @ 3ghz. And that market is a shitload bigger and higher margin than gamers will ever be.

For everyone that seems to think that processors should keep getting faster and faster, keep in mind that at 5 Ghz, light travels about 6 cm per clock cycle in vacuum. On a decent sized processor core, that's not exactly a huge margin of error for total signal propagation.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Pryor on Fire posted:

lol ok.

(Games are not the performance needle, sorry :saddowns: )

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
theres like, haswell-e for you dudes that need faster anime encodes

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

karoshi posted:

I doubt the mobile market wants to pay $380 for a CPU in a $600 phone. They'll gladly accept intel's bribes, go thru the motions and release some android device. Windows phones and tablets are another story, not a relevant one for now.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but nearly all the x86 phones are Android. Why do you think x86 requires Windows?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Gwaihir posted:

(Games are not the performance needle, sorry :saddowns: )

Which is why a big jump in integrated graphics is meaningful in the market, because 75%+ of users don't use a discrete GPU.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Most certainly, it's hugely nice if you can get stuff like these new chips a Dell XPS13 ish form factor, and then you have a really pretty decently capable machine that can game on the road without the usual discrete GPU laptop drawbacks.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I can't seem to find any ARM systems in the processor generation statistics here:
http://top500.org/statistics/list/

Not gonna be holding my breath!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Funny, I don't see any Alpha and only one SPARC.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

Funny, I don't see any Alpha and only one SPARC.

So your pro-ARM argument is that ARM is the next Intel. Okay, call me when they crack the top 500. Still not holding my breath!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Does single threaded performance need to get much better than the 5~10% we are getting? I figured it was us that needed to get better with utilising cores.

I'm a naive, 4/10 (maybe?) programmer still at Uni though.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

pmchem posted:

I can't seem to find any ARM systems in the processor generation statistics here:
http://top500.org/statistics/list/

Not gonna be holding my breath!

You'll see ARM on that list sooner than you may think.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

Does single threaded performance need to get much better than the 5~10% we are getting? I figured it was us that needed to get better with utilising cores.

You know what would be way better than us getting better at using multiple cores? Really fast single cores. I would love to have a single core 17.6GHz Haswell instead of a quad core 4.4 GHz one.

We were supposed to be around 20 GHz by now! http://www.geek.com/chips/intel-predicts-10ghz-chips-by-2011-564808/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Lord Windy posted:

It's not that we don't need more it's that we're not likely to get more than that at this point, clock speeds can't be pushed much higher and the various methods we have used to exploit more IPC over the years are starting to hit diminishing returns. It's much easier to just increase core counts rather than try to further increase single-threaded performance after a certain point, and as people pointed out before most server or HPC applications can take advantage of the more cores approach.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pmchem posted:

So your pro-ARM argument is that ARM is the next Intel. Okay, call me when they crack the top 500. Still not holding my breath!

I also made an appeal to the notion that ARM is an ecosystem. Intel debuggers are written by Intel. Arm debuggers are written by ~5 different teams who are all competing for market share. Other facets of design are also subject to competitive forces. This was in the middle of an argument about anti-trust sanctions. I like that you're able to drop by halfway through all this context and act like I'm on a single point based on a metric you brought up without any justification or even a nod towards relevance.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

f 10 GHz is the best that Intel can do by 2011, AMD or somebody else is going to eat their lunch. Intel better pick up the pace if they want to remain dominant. Besides, I want it NOW. What will I do with it. Well, I also want the applications now. I guess I've been spoiled by the industry and expect incredible improvements every year. - by Allen

quote:

Back in grad school I worked on computing with light and transistors that had ten states (0-9 or base 10) rather than 2 (0 and 1 or binary). Anybody who doesn't think that these types of technology won't be commercially available by 2011 is kidding themselves. In addition, new OS capability to scale up and out will radically change how we compute. Maybe clock speeds will only be 10 GHz by then but dozens and dozens of processors may coexist on a single chip that process data in base 10 (or hex) instead of base 2, effectively performing hugely more complex computations with fewer transistors and (relatively) lower clock speeds than would currently be needed. I have seen the future and it ROCKS!!…. (Oh, Windows 2010 is still a slug…. ;-)

Goddamn those comments are hilarious. Like for every person that goes "I don't think that is how it will work" there is 8 dreaming about their dream computer or arguing over DNA computers.

Everyone is also talking about Tertis and Windows 2000, did it come built in? Because 9 year old me would have played the poo poo out of that if he knew about it.

EDIT: Also OS wars

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This hellish future left me with not one single 5+Ghz processor (on air, no turbo) and levitating gently caress bot.

The gall

incoherent fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 3, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

pmchem posted:

Everyone knows that the most powerful computers in the world are Crays, your claim that Intel processors will one day make the list is laughable. Laughable!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

I also made an appeal to the notion that ARM is an ecosystem. Intel debuggers are written by Intel. Arm debuggers are written by ~5 different teams who are all competing for market share. Other facets of design are also subject to competitive forces. This was in the middle of an argument about anti-trust sanctions. I like that you're able to drop by halfway through all this context and act like I'm on a single point based on a metric you brought up without any justification or even a nod towards relevance.

There are compilers and debuggers being written for Intel chips by a heck of lot more companies, universities, and worldwide open source teams than "just Intel". No idea how you're even making that statement.

Making some general argument of "new hotness gonna replace old fogeys" is a strawman too. You asked for a metric where Intel was ahead; I provided one relevant to my work. ARM is not even attempting to compete on floating point throughput yet. While they might, one day, the light is not even visible at the end of that tunnel yet.

Intel has an incredible manufacturing/process advantage and huge resources for chip R&D, beyond something like "Cray" which was never really a CPU company so is a terrible example. It's far beyond what DEC was to Intel in the 90s. Cray still exists by the way: I used three of them today! They're not ignoring the competition from ARM; check out the recent realworldtech article about Atom improvements. Indeed, even for Intel facets of design are subject to competitive forces.

I look forward to the day where there is a credible Intel competitor once again in scientific work, but the sense of "ARM inevitability" being championed here is way premature.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Twerk from Home posted:

You know what would be way better than us getting better at using multiple cores? Really fast single cores. I would love to have a single core 17.6GHz Haswell instead of a quad core 4.4 GHz one.
This is where I need you need assure me that you're just joking and not really an idiot.

Your link gives me hope, but...

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Theoretically ARM has the advantage of the decoder logic taking up a smaller portion of the CPU die but there's also been a trend over time of the decoder logic taking up a smaller portion of the CPU die across all microarchitectures so this might not end up mattering that much. From what I have seen so far Intel still has a big advantage in performance/watt due to their superior fab when compared to a theoretical ARM competitor, especially with their low power Xeons. It would be interesting to see how the performance/watt would compare if Intel made some ARM cores, which it looks like might happen before too long.

EDIT: But fundamentally saying "Intel's going to be eaten alive by ARM" doesn't really make any sense. ARM is an ISA and Intel is a chip manufacturer, if Intel eventually sees an advantage in dumping x86 for ARM they will do so and go along designing and manufacturing chips just as they did before.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3229806-intel-becomes-an-arm-chip-maker

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Lord Windy posted:

Goddamn those comments are hilarious. Like for every person that goes "I don't think that is how it will work" there is 8 dreaming about their dream computer or arguing over DNA computers.

Everyone is also talking about Tertis and Windows 2000, did it come built in? Because 9 year old me would have played the poo poo out of that if he knew about it.

EDIT: Also OS wars

It reminds me of kids 10-15 years back saying GPU changes were so big between generations, that in no time we'll be getting graphics so good, they'll look even better than real life.

I mean, there's no :what: big enough to possibly respond to that line of thinking.