Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Finally got to take the NB out for a spirited romp with the top down - despite some back-road traffic, it was a blast. How noisy is the suspension on a Miata, typically? It seemed a little rattley somewhere in the right mid-to-rear area, but this is my first convertible, so I'm hearing a lot more general noise than I'm used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Finally got to take the NB out for a spirited romp with the top down - despite some back-road traffic, it was a blast. How noisy is the suspension on a Miata, typically? It seemed a little rattley somewhere in the right mid-to-rear area, but this is my first convertible, so I'm hearing a lot more general noise than I'm used to.

Eh, the Miata's not a quiet car to begin with, but the majority of the noise I hear (wind, engine, bass music :rolleyes:) is not suspension-related.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Good to know. I'm not too concerned because I had a trusted mechanic give it a once-over, but it'll give me a reason to get under it and poke around a bit in my nonexistent spare time.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, it might just need some lube or something. I'm not sure I've ever heard suspension "rattling," but the whole car kind of does that when I hit bumps in terrible roads. On smooth roads all you'll hear is the wind, engine, and maybe the tires.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/convertibles/1506_2016_mazda_mx_5_vs_2015_subaru_brz_comparison/

Randy Pobst turned a faster lap in an ND than he did in a BRZ. The ND does the 0-60 dance faster than the BRZ and NC, gets better gas mileage.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Phone posted:

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/convertibles/1506_2016_mazda_mx_5_vs_2015_subaru_brz_comparison/

Randy Pobst turned a faster lap in an ND than he did in a BRZ. The ND does the 0-60 dance faster than the BRZ and NC, gets better gas mileage.

Wow, that BRZ interior is hideous.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Does anyone know what a mint '04 with 4000 miles on it could reasonably expect to fetch? (sorry I don't know any other details than that) I know that's firmly in "not driven enough" territory, so I'm not sure how badly it would effect the price with poo poo that would need to be replaced. From what I've heard second hand, carmax offered the lady around $9k last year for it.

Conversely, if anyone is interested in a car like this in central PA (Harrisburg area), PM / email me and I can get more details.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dreesemonkey posted:

Does anyone know what a mint '04 with 4000 miles on it could reasonably expect to fetch? (sorry I don't know any other details than that) I know that's firmly in "not driven enough" territory, so I'm not sure how badly it would effect the price with poo poo that would need to be replaced. From what I've heard second hand, carmax offered the lady around $9k last year for it.

Conversely, if anyone is interested in a car like this in central PA (Harrisburg area), PM / email me and I can get more details.

$9k from Carmax is good if it hasn't had maintenance done on it, like replacing the belts / tires / inevitable leaking seals from sitting that long.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

drat a goon just bought an NB in PA like a week ago

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
All the articles list the base ND's MSRP at $29K? Or is that price for the Club trim?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

All the articles list the base ND's MSRP at $29K? Or is that price for the Club trim?

That's the club trim.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Down $1k on a 41W/NJ2 with 1BB.

Dealer had no idea, but he got the regional rep on the line, so I should be golden.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Twerk from Home posted:

That's the club trim.

Yessssss. Now why does it not come in Dynamic Blue Mica? :argh:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm really liking the idea of a sport but dont like the pricetag for a differential change down the line.

The last miata without a screen in the dash :allears:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5UjmHOl4pU

I'd assume some of you have seen the new Mazda ad but nobody's mentioned it here for some reason. I feel weird posting an ad, but I think it's a good one at least, and of course it features the new ND. I don't like the voiceover though (nothing against Aaron Paul, I just don't care for his voice here.) The comments on the video are extra spammy, for some reason. :iiam:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

that ad just makes me want to trade my NC for an NA

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
To be fair i do think the ND is is close as they could have come to the advice we've been giving them since 1999, "Just build the NA again that will pass new crash tests".

The NC feels more like a SLK than a NB.

(I've had all three)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

"Just build the NA again that will pass new crash tests".

That would be so niche. I would love it, but imagine how few they would sell.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The rainy season has just hit southern Japan and I already wish I had a car with a fixed roof. Stupid leaky NA seals. :smith:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I have just put new Bridgestone RE760 UHP summer tires on my 2001 and would like to do an alignment. Stock, light DD duty with some road trips, so how about 949 street version:

pre:

>=5.25" front pinch weld height
Front camber: -1.4°
Caster: >4.5°

Front total toe: 1/16"

Rear camber : -1°
Rear total toe: 1/8"
Assuming that's toe "in", how terrible of an idea is this? Don't want to flush a hundred bucks down if there are better alternatives.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just used the Flyin Miata specs, worked out well.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I hit a rock or something and it bounced up underneath the car and made a big PING noise. Now the car is making a very subtle high pitched noise when I rev it. Is this something I should get checked out? The car has also seemed to develop some kind of rattle or buzz in either the glove box area or the passenger side door. I only hear it at arounds 2.5k - 3k. Is this something a mechanic or autobody shop could fix or will they just look at me like I'm crazy? I know it's a 13 year old car and poo poo like this is probably unavoidable but it's loving annoying.

But aside from those minor things I've been loving this car. I'm really surprised with how great of a daily driver it is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How are the speaker cables terminated at the head-unit end in an NB? I'm going to replace the HU with an amp/tablet combo and would like to prepare the cables/adapters before ripping anything out of the car.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

iv46vi posted:

I have just put new Bridgestone RE760 UHP summer tires on my 2001 and would like to do an alignment. Stock, light DD duty with some road trips, so how about 949 street version:

pre:

>=5.25" front pinch weld height
Front camber: -1.4°
Caster: >4.5°

Front total toe: 1/16"

Rear camber : -1°
Rear total toe: 1/8"
Assuming that's toe "in", how terrible of an idea is this? Don't want to flush a hundred bucks down if there are better alternatives.

Probably a bit aggressive for a road trip and daily driver. Maybe 0 toe up front, 1/16 toe in rear, reverse the camber numbers if you want it stable vs. loose.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I was thinking of adding speakers to my seats because the (aftermarket) radio and soaks are drowned out by road noise. Is this a worthwhile idea?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't bother. I'm taking mine out, not only because they're blown, but because having speakers behind your head is not natural and screws up the proper imaging the door speakers in front of you might have. At first i thought they were great because they compensated for the lovely door speakers I had at the time and helped a lot with the top down, but after I sealed up the doors and put a quality set of speakers in, I unplugged the seat speakers and it sounded ten times better. I blew the seat speakers because the door speakers are so much more powerful, there's no way the little seat speakers are gonna keep up for long stretches, and there's not a small speaker that's capable enough of taking the power to match them. It's a waste and I'm chucking mine.

Just invest in some good speakers in the doors, seal up the doors and get a good amp to power the speakers.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Are there any good guides for sealing the doors? I'm sure my shoddy hackjob when I put in the 6x8s isn't helping anything.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

How are the speaker cables terminated at the head-unit end in an NB? I'm going to replace the HU with an amp/tablet combo and would like to prepare the cables/adapters before ripping anything out of the car.

They go into the harness that went into the radio. Get harness kit, and you will have bare wires for the fronts to hook your amplifier to.

I just did an amp install behind the passenger seat. Ran the speaker wires from the amp, along the passenger door and back up to behind the head unit. Connected everything back there. RCAs come under the center console to behind the seat. Power is super easy from the trunk. Then again I have no carpets atm so all the holes were easy to see.

Edit: For sealing the doors just use any sound deadening stuff you want and cut holes for the door handle/manual window crank if you want. I used some lovely neoprene I had laying around and silicone sealant from my aquarium to waterproof the edges.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So my car didn't start the other day... quick check revealed the problem: the positive battery cable is completely sheared/frayed off. Can this be mended or am I going to have to replace the whole harness? It broke just before the connector, so is it possible to just strip the wire a bit more, and then clamp the old connector to it?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 3, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Elysium posted:

So my car didn't start the other day... quick check revealed the problem: the positive battery cable is completely sheared/frayed off. Can this be mended or am I going to have to replace the whole harness? It broke just before the connector, so is it possible to just strip the wire a bit more, and then clamp the old connector to it?

You can, but if the connector failed once I'd go to the auto parts store and buy a new one (or two, if the negative cable looks lovely). You may even find it easier to buy a pre-made wire there and replace the whole thing.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
The connector didn't fail, the battery came loose and the movement of the battery was enough to wear down the cable itself. So do I get one of these? http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...3458565cmpid=cj

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Elysium posted:

The connector didn't fail, the battery came loose and the movement of the battery was enough to wear down the cable itself. So do I get one of these? http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...3458565cmpid=cj

Can you post a picture or two of your cable and terminal?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

I hit a rock or something and it bounced up underneath the car and made a big PING noise. Now the car is making a very subtle high pitched noise when I rev it. Is this something I should get checked out? The car has also seemed to develop some kind of rattle or buzz in either the glove box area or the passenger side door. I only hear it at arounds 2.5k - 3k. Is this something a mechanic or autobody shop could fix or will they just look at me like I'm crazy? I know it's a 13 year old car and poo poo like this is probably unavoidable but it's loving annoying.

But aside from those minor things I've been loving this car. I'm really surprised with how great of a daily driver it is.

sounds like you bought a mazda rwd sports car with a softtop... this is all in your head friend. well that rattle or buzz isn't but I'm pretty sure there isn't a miata alive without a rattle or buzz in the dash, including the 2016s. hell, which parts of my 2008 nc rattles seems to be dependent entirely on the day's humidity

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 3, 2015

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Can you post a picture or two of your cable and terminal?

Well I'm not around my car, but i would say it looks a bit like this: http://s967.photobucket.com/user/alkamin/media/battery-cable.jpg.html

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Elysium posted:

Well I'm not around my car, but i would say it looks a bit like this: http://s967.photobucket.com/user/alkamin/media/battery-cable.jpg.html

You should be able to just buy one of these and splice it on if you have enough cable slack remaining to reach the terminal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Are there any good guides for sealing the doors? I'm sure my shoddy hackjob when I put in the 6x8s isn't helping anything.

http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%252dTo.html

Buy their kit, it's worth every penny and the best price you're gonna get anywhere.

[e] Also find a pair of speakers with a high RMS to take advantage of the sealed doors.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 3, 2015

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I need to stop deferring maintenance on my 95 Miata. It's starting to add up. Throw out beating needs replacing (so clutch job), corded the ZIIs (6.8k miles) so I need new tires, top is leaking, am about to pass 100k miles on the factory timing belt, probably should look at replacing the rubber bits in the suspension as well as the shocks.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Might be a good time to take the car in a new direction if you were so inclined, since so much is being replaced.

I say to every NA and NB owner doing a clutch job to seek out a lightweight flywheel at the same time. It makes everything better with no real downsides. Make sure to get a steel one that can be resurfaced, and you can balance Lightness <-------> Noiseness to your preference. A set of good coilovers (not "stance" lowering ones) and summer tires really wake these cars up without breaking the bank.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

The rainy season has just hit southern Japan and I already wish I had a car with a fixed roof. Stupid leaky NA seals. :smith:

Whereabouts in Japan are you? Rainy season is brutal. Then again used jdm parts are cheap so you may be able to score a hardtop for not much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Gonna buy some reman rear calipers. Any brands I need to avoid or can I just pickup whatever is cheapest on RockAuto?