Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Corvinus posted:

Imagine a thread with Victor, Kyrie, CoC and Alexander Nevermind going at it. giggity

The amount of batshit fundy contained within would be unimaginable.

Now imagine they manage to agree on some poo poo and found a school together in which they will teach literally 100s of kids their worldview.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Most people with the appropriate creativity would be appalled by the stuff they were being asked to illustrate. And they're too cheapskate to pony up the cash for stuff from stock photo/clip art/etc sites with the appropriate licenses to illustrate things.

I don't think being creative/good at art necessarily leads one to a good moral framework, as there's a lot of Nazi and Communist propaganda from WWII, and both Stalin and Hitler were authoritarian monsters.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sov...Aw&ved=0CB0QsAQ

What they had and PJ's Authoritarians lack is the ability to see the world as it is, rather than how they think it is. In order to draw well, you have to let go of your convictions about what a thing looks like, and draw what you see rather than what you expect to see. Authoritarians hold on to their expectations about the world for dear life, and artists have to let those expectations go.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Prester John posted:

Someday there is going to be an Evangelical sex scandal that will be on the level of the Catholic Church scandal.

Its already happening it just gets swept under the rug by being "handled" by the church leadership and making sure those outsiders to the church like the police, any government body gets any complaint about it.

They also can hide behind the fact that each of these 400 member churches are a island so obviously the same thing going on 3 blocks over is totally unrelated.

It keeps me up at night sometimes.

flu-like symptoms
Jul 27, 2006
shiny

Jack Gladney posted:

For one, the police report confirmed that the Duggars practice the method of blanket training proscribed by Michael Pearl, and presumably the rest of his method of total control, which they had previously denied employing:

http://www.amazon.com/To-Train-Child-Michael-Pearl/dp/1892112000

It's very much systematic abuse designed to make children completely subservient to the parents.

The more I hear about "blanket training" type poo poo the more it sounds like the Little Albert experiment except replacing loud noises with pain and rabbits with "lack of immediate and total obedience."

also the experiment never ends and the scientists tell Albert it's god's voice he hears inside him telling him to fear the bunnies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Albert_experiment

I'm surprised they just don't put shock collars on the kids

quote:

Blanket training is a parenting method that comes from the dangerous, backwards, evangelical parenting book To Train Up a Child by Michael and Debi Pearl. The Pearl method relies on corporal punishment to teach children total obedience, and it’s terrifying—at least three child deaths have been linked to the teachings in the book.

Blanket training is the Pearls’ first step to molding obedient children: starting in infancy, parents put their baby on a blanket and flick them with a flexible ruler or other instrument if the baby tries to roll or crawl off. Eventually, the baby is “trained” to ignore his or her natural curiosity and stay on the blanket, because he or she is scared.

Michelle admitted to using this type of training in a 2011 interview with The Duggar Family Blog, but she did not specifically mention using the corporal punishment aspect. “It’s not waiting until they do something wrong to correct them, but actually taking moments to train them,” Michelle said. “What they’re learning is self-control. ...They’re learning to obey Mommy’s voice.”
http://defamer.gawker.com/police-report-reveals-the-duggar-discipline-method-th-1707154965

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

flu-like symptoms posted:

The more I hear about "blanket training" type poo poo the more it sounds like the Little Albert experiment except replacing loud noises with pain and rabbits with "lack of immediate and total obedience."

also the experiment never ends and the scientists tell Albert it's god's voice he hears inside him telling him to fear the bunnies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Albert_experiment

I'm surprised they just don't put shock collars on the kids
http://defamer.gawker.com/police-report-reveals-the-duggar-discipline-method-th-1707154965

What in the making GBS threads hell is wrong with these people! I feel awful if I yell at the drat dog, and these sadistic pieces of trash do this kind of poo poo to their own children?!

it's like discovering Free Republic all over again.

gently caress these people forever, and anyone else who feels that this kind of sadism is acceptable. I need a shower.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Also what the hell is with the idea that any act of disobedience is out of malice?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

snorch posted:

Also what the hell is with the idea that any act of disobedience is out of malice?

Because they view any disobedience against God as being out of malice (why would you reject your perfect creator and all that rot), and thus view all disobedience that way. Also, it's a way to justify the child abuse, since the child is instigating the malice.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

snorch posted:

I expect they believe that children are naturally wicked as a consequence of their fallen state.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jack Gladney posted:

I expect they believe that children are naturally wicked as a consequence of their fallen state.

Because they came out of a vagina and those people hate vaginas more than anything.

I mean, it's pathological or something. They loving hate the entire female reproductive system but when it comes to the front office as it were, they're all about the shame and pain.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Dirk the Average posted:

Because they view any disobedience against God as being out of malice (why would you reject your perfect creator and all that rot), and thus view all disobedience that way. Also, it's a way to justify the child abuse, since the child is instigating the malice.

Disobedience to your parents probably is disobedience against God in their minds. The Old Testament says that disobeying your parents is a sin punishable by death. With that as your moral baseline, it's pretty easy to justify any level of child abuse as being lenient.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 posted:

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It should be noted that in many ancient societies, a father held authority over his sons until he died. Under Levitical law it doesn't even have to be child abuse, a 20-something man could be ordered around, beaten, or killed by his father.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Nolanar posted:

Disobedience to your parents probably is disobedience against God in their minds. The Old Testament says that disobeying your parents is a sin punishable by death. With that as your moral baseline, it's pretty easy to justify any level of child abuse as being lenient.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 posted:

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

My parents and the cult leader literally read this verse out loud to me and then explained that in biblical times rebellions children like me were stoned to death as a warning to the other children. This happened multiple times.

So yeah, they take all sin as a willful act of malice. Worse, they view a consistently sinning child as a potential threat to the other children, since a child's sin can spread to other children almost like a disease. I was not the only child to be isolated from all extra contact with other children as a sort f "quarantine" against my "spirit of rebellion" putting the salvation of other children at risk.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Do they tell everybody you were a glutton and drunkard too? I mean, it's all there in the manual.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So yeah :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xat0q8aDug

This is pretty not good. All this Civil War II LARP could lead to some batshit explosions of insanity.

Add into this videos like this wherein we have a demonstration of mental illness being accepted in leadership. This is either a Schizophrenic making doomsday prophecies and being taken seriously, or a sociopath role-playing as one. In either case, there is a chance that at some point random pockets of people become convinced that this is indeed the end times/CWII/Race-Cleansing, and then those people start doing some strange poo poo. When Inner Narratives pop out into the public sphere they can take the form of allllllllll sorts of random bizareness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmsSFk7TLkA

Edit: Can I shout out "Called IT!" on this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gynMAWCx_Mw

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

So when the craziness happens, like, the GRAND CONVERGENCE or whatver, what do we think the end result will be ? Bloodshed and War? Or will they burn themselves out in sound and fury?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

southpaugh posted:

So when the craziness happens, like, the GRAND CONVERGENCE or whatver, what do we think the end result will be ? Bloodshed and War? Or will they burn themselves out in sound and fury?

Personally I'd guess the latter, because these people are by definition unable to see reality for what it is, and playing a game where you can't see the board is not a way to accomplish your objectives.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Nice shiny Ford pickups loaded up with white men carrying nice fancy AR-15s, culling entire housing projects Contra style.

You think I'm kidding?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SedanChair posted:

Nice shiny Ford pickups loaded up with white men carrying nice fancy AR-15s, culling entire housing projects Contra style.

You think I'm kidding?

Yeah

They'd be way sloppier than the contra guys

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SedanChair posted:

You think I'm kidding?

Something kind of like the Minutemen terror groups in Arizona?

dao Jones
Jul 17, 2009

(The third link from the above post).

I gotta have that Egg Bucket. $110 for 145 servings sounds like a great deal.

Please Lord! Reveal unto me the holy secret of the Egg Bucket!

[Egg related glossolalia]

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Don't know if this is the right place for this, but Prester John might be interested and I hear he reads this thread. ACE has been advertising in the UK that its ICCE (International Certificate of Christian Education) will get students enrolled at UK universities "without any other qualification". They've been told to stop by the Advertising Standards Authority. https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2015/4/International-Certificate-of-Christian-Education/SHP_ADJ_287049.aspx#.VW6pKWOZh8E

quote:

Ad

A website, https://www.icce-global.org promoting the International Certificate of Christian Education (ICCE). A page titled "ICCE and NCSC Graduates in Higher Education" in the "Universities" section contained text that stated "Over the years, graduates of the NCSC and ICCE programmes have gained entry into a wide number of institutions. Each university has its own admissions procedure and assesses each student's application on its own merit taking into consideration all qualifications. The completion of ICCE and NCSC certificates, as with any qualification, does not guarantee a place at any institution. Whilst the universities listed below may not currently regard ICCE as a standard entrance qualification, the list shows universities that have accepted ICCE and NCSC graduates, at the time of their application, without any additional academic qualification". A list of UK universities was featured below the text.
Issue

The complainant, who was a journalist and a campaigner for changes to the ACE curriculum and ICCE qualification, challenged whether the ad misleadingly implied that the institutions listed had accepted ICCE and NCSC graduates without other additional academic qualifications.
CAP Code (Edition 12)
Response

International Certificate of Christian Education (ICCE) stated that they refuted the complainant's assertion that the ad was misleading. They stated that the ad made clear that each university had its own admissions procedure and assessed each student's application on its own merits, taking into account all qualifications.

The ICCE also pointed out that the ad specified that the completion of the ICCE and the National Christian Schools' Certificates (NCSC) did not guarantee a place at any institution. They also highlighted the wording in the ad which stated that the universities listed might not regard ICCE as a standard entrance qualification but had accepted ICCE and NCSC graduates without any additional academic qualification at the time of their applications.

ICCE understood that the complaint was brought on the basis of information obtained from Freedom of Information (FOI) requests submitted to the listed institutions, some of which stated that they accepted ICCE graduates on the basis of other qualifications, others stated that they did not hold records of having accepted ICCE or NCSC graduates, that they assessed applications on a case by case basis, or that they did not accept ICCE or NCSC certificate as an entrance qualification.

ICCE stated that they held first-hand information that contradicted the FOI responses provided by some of the institutions. They said that they knew of ICCE or NCSC graduates who did not hold any additional academic qualifications, such as A Levels, and had been accepted into, attended or completed a degree at one of the listed universities.

ICCE submitted a list of ICCE and NSCS graduates, including the relevant subject of their certificate course, who were accepted to the institutions listed in the ad. They also provided email confirmation from a number of ICCE graduates from that list, which contained details such as the institution and degree into which they had been accepted, the status of their degree, the ICCE or NCSC course that they had undertaken and confirmation of any additional academic qualifications, such as GCSEs and A Levels.
Assessment

Upheld

The ASA noted from the FOI data provided by the complainant that some of the institutions listed in the ad accepted ICCE graduates; some only accepted applicants who completed the ICCE or NCSC on the basis of other qualifications; some did not hold records of having accepted ICCE or NCSC graduates or were unable to confirm whether or not they had done so; some stated that they assessed each application based on individual merits; and some did not recognise the ICCE as an entrance qualification or did not have an acceptance policy on the ICCE qualification.

We acknowledged ICCE's comments that the ad stated each university followed its own admissions procedures and assessed each individual application on its merit, taking into account all qualifications, and that the completion of ICCE and NCSC certificates did not guarantee a place at any institution.

However, we noted that the text that referred to the list of institutions stated "Whilst the universities listed below may not currently regard ICCE as a standard entrance qualification, the list shows universities that have accepted ICCE and NCSC graduates, at the time of their application, without any additional academic qualification". We considered that most consumers were likely to understand from this wording that all of the institutions included in the following list, though they might not deem the ICCE and NCSC to be a standard entrance qualification, had accepted ICCE and NCSC graduates who did not hold additional academic qualifications, such as A Levels, at the time of their applications. We did not consider the preceding wording referring to universities' own admissions procedures negated that impression.

Although we considered the email confirmation provided by ICCE and NSCS, we had not seen any further formal confirmation that indicated that the graduates had been accepted to the institutions listed without any other academic qualifications at the time of their applications. Further, we noted that ICCE submitted graduates' confirmation for some of the institutions listed in the ad, but not all.

For these reasons, we did not consider the evidence submitted was adequately robust in substantiating the claim made about the listed institutions in the ad and therefore concluded the ad was misleading.

The ad breached CAP Code (Edition 12) rules 3.1 (Misleading Advertising) and 3.7 (Substantiation).
Action

The ad must not appear in its current form again. We told the International Certificate of Christian Education to ensure that future ads did not give the impression that all of the institutions listed accepted ICCE and NCSC graduates who did not hold additional academic qualifications at the time of their applications unless they held sufficiently robust evidence to support the inclusion of an institution in the list.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

southpaugh posted:

So when the craziness happens, like, the GRAND CONVERGENCE or whatever, what do we think the end result will be ? Bloodshed and War? Or will they burn themselves out in sound and fury?

I hate using this word but I feel it's appropriate in this context; to me this is a form of unintentional accelerationism. Nobody went out and pretended to side with the RWAs on this one but it really looks like the end result is going to be the worst of the worst exposing themselves for what they really are: violent fascists. The mostly sane majority will see that the craziest of the crazy minority are actually starting to put their money where their mouths are. They'll be arrested and thrown in prison and some of them will do murder/suicides.

This will hopefully result in a pretty noticeable shift in public opinion towards the right wing. I'm not saying that the problem will completely go away but I'm hoping that these seemingly inevitable acts of violence will vilify the ideology enough that they'll start lose power. At the very least it will show the rest of the nutjobs who were too cowardly to join in the violence that they really are the minority. I know that Freeper types will never accept this, but if enough sane people start to understand that these wackos are not just a few bad apples and actually represent the end-game of right-wing thought and praxis, we'll have enough of a backlash against them that we won't have to worry about them holding significant governing power for a while.

That's my hope at least. I don't want to see anyone get hurt, RWAs included. However it seems like that's what's going to happen, at least on a small scale.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's my hope at least. I don't want to see anyone get hurt, RWAs included. However it seems like that's what's going to happen, at least on a small scale.

Any action by the fringe can be dismissed by the majority simply by saying "they're not really one of us". People use this as an argument against religious nuts all the time, surprisingly it's really effective.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

SnakePlissken posted:

And I want to stop talking about religion for a bit, in part because I think highly of them, or many of them. Churches are not the source of authoritarianism. But I do kind of think that there are some deep structures that contribute greatly though. I'd like to ramble on about that maybe in a bit. This is stuff I haven't thought through all that far but seems pretty plausible or at least interesting.

You can't even talk about Christianity without talking about its involvement with the Roman government and centralized authority. Churches are historically authoritarian by default because they always rely on some explicit hierarchy. Even to the Roman government early Christian era, they took not worshipping their gods as being synonymous with loyalty to their government, which led to many overt actions against Jews and Christians when they failed to fall in line.

It's why I partly find history written of the Catholic church to be infinitely more interesting than history of the Bible. It's literally generations of political intrigue and them routing out other Christian sects or Muslims- often using subservient governments to do so.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Job Truniht posted:

You can't even talk about Christianity without talking about its involvement with the Roman government and centralized authority. Churches are historically authoritarian by default because they always rely on some explicit hierarchy. Even to the Roman government early Christian era, they took not worshipping their gods as being synonymous with loyalty to their government, which led to many overt actions against Jews and Christians when they failed to fall in line.

It's why I partly find history written of the Catholic church to be infinitely more interesting than history of the Bible. It's literally generations of political intrigue and them routing out other Christian sects or Muslims- often using subservient governments to do so.

Be careful not to confuse authoritarianism in the normal sense with Authoritarian in the sense meant by this thread. Just having an explicit hierarchy doesn't imply the inner/outer narratives and cognitive pillars that PJ talks about.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Nolanar posted:

Be careful not to confuse authoritarianism in the normal sense with Authoritarian in the sense meant by this thread. Just having an explicit hierarchy doesn't imply the inner/outer narratives and cognitive pillars that PJ talks about.

I don't agree with his definition, because it assumes there exists some accident in personal character than something that can be rationally derived or inherited. Authoritarian institutions will spread authoritarianism. It doesn't matter if it is inherent or something deliberately put into place by the people who derived it. As for governments, you can feel that pressure exerting on you every day to be an authoritarian: it's called the law.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Job Truniht posted:

I don't agree with his definition, because it assumes there exists some accident in personal character than something that can be rationally derived or inherited. Authoritarian institutions will spread authoritarianism. It doesn't matter if it is inherent or something deliberately put into place by the people who derived it. As for governments, you can feel that pressure exerting on you every day to be an authoritarian: it's called the law.

It's not her "definition" of authoritarianism. She's defining something new she doesn't have a word for, and is using capital A Authoritarianism to describe it, while acknowledging that it's not the same thing as authoritarianism. There will probably be a better word for it once she's able to fully define it.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Job Truniht posted:

In addition to what my dad said above, PJ and others have posted a number of times about what sort of environment can result in a person with a PJ Authoritarian mind set. So no, it doesn't assume there's some accident of personal character, it can totally be a decision that is arrived at as well as an outlook that can be taught to others given the right circumstances.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Run with me here ladies and gentlemen while I temporarily take the governor off the Schizophrenia and let this baby run at full power for few minutes.

Let us accept for a moment that the Authoritarian structure I have been describing is in fact, a self replicating behavior pattern. We have all been debating this "mind virus" idea because taken at face value, a virus is the nearest thing we have as a tool to conceptualize it.

Consider for a moment that we humans are to some degree, self aware automatons. As near as we can yet tell, our bodies are sustained by chemical reactions controlled by an information exchange system we call DNA. Remove the concept of self awareness for a moment and view humanity from the perspective of information exchange. We (like all life) are a self replicating pattern regulated via information exchange. We store and control the expenditure of energy in order to exchange information in a controlled fashion with the apparent ultimate purpose being the preservation of the information pattern itself.

Perhaps this pattern of self replicating information exchange structures persists through other levels of nature as well. Let us consider the level of our physical bodies. The human body is a gigantic and as yet still inconceivably complex self replicating pattern of information exchange. More on point though, our bodies represent a huge conglomeration of interwoven self replicating information patterns, a complex eco-system of interacting and inter-dependent information patterns that are yet to some degree still independent. Consider Dust Mites for example, as they are basically just automatons whose only purpose is to self replicate. They are a chemical reaction fueled data perpetuation system that is literally regulated and controlled by its data, or DNA. The self replicating pattern that represents dust mites just happens to perform a useful function and be in balance with its "host" pattern.

Taken from the information exchange perspective, a Dust Mite is really just a slow motion computer program. We don't normally conceive of it (or other simple organisms like bacteria) as such, and I think this is largely due to how we humans conceptualize time. (Which is in itself largely a result of how we experience time) Because we think of computer programs executing their functions in seconds rather than over the course of the lifetime of a micro organism. But from this data exchange perspective, a Dust Mite is a self replicating computer program that executes its function via the mechanism of chemical reactions directed and regulated by the data stored via chemical means in its DNA, rather than the electrical means our computers use. Despite these functions occurring in a different “medium” (as it were) the net effect is however still virtually identical along certain broad corridors.

So what I am proposing here is a thought experiment where we step back a couple steps from our normal way of conceptualizing life, and look at it purely from this “self replicating data pattern” perspective. Before we do, allow me add a major caveat-

-Because of the limitations of our current communication format (English) I am going to be using the language of intent to describe some concepts. I do this because English (or at least my understanding of it) does not (at this moment) possess accurate tools with which to conceptualize what I am attempting to describe here. So I want to be clear that when I use terms like “opportunistic” or “function” I am not trying to ascribe intelligence or self awareness to these data patterns, but rather I will be using such language in the context of how a simple organism is said to be “opportunistic” (i.e. a bacteria that infects via breaks in the skin caused by a mosquito bite is said to be “opportunistic”), or when I describe the “function” or “purpose” of portions of these self replicating data patterns I will be doing so in the same manner with which the “function” or “purpose” of the protein spikes that the Ebola virus uses to hook itself into a cell wall are described.

Put more simply, if a 2x4 is supporting part of the weight of a wall, we can speak to the 2x4’s “function” or “purpose” as a load bearing support. How the 2x4 got to be where it is would be beyond the scope of this discussion.

Returning to our perspective of self replicating data patterns, there are generally two mediums that we have observed this effect. The medium of biology (data stored in DNA), and the digital medium (Data stored in Binary). I am then proposing the addition of a third medium where self replicating data patterns exist, that medium being the human mind.

When we see a popular cat meme we speak of it “going viral” because a virus is the nearest thing we have that exists as a common conceptualization tool that we as humans can use to describe the observed behavior. (From the self replicating data pattern perspective, this makes sense. A virus is the simplest biological data form able to self reproduce, and a cat image on the internet fits that role nicely as well.) We call it “viral” because we don’t yet know a better way of describing the behavior while at the same time we note the commonalities the behavior has with living things.

Suppose for a moment that the patterns we see emerging out both computer code (with its oft noted wacky behavior despite our best efforts) and nature are natural artifacts emerging out of the complex exchange and reproduction of data. That is to say, we see many many random glitches and oddities emerging out of both, and by sheer dint of the numbers of times this happens self reproducing data patterns naturally emerge. (Note that I am aware that the example is not perfect because computer programs do not emerge naturally, they are created by human hands. There is however an recognized phenomena of computer code sometimes doing its own goddamn thing for reasons we just do not understand yet.)

Suppose also that the human mind is in some ways a biological computer. (It receives data, stores it, processes it. The brain is the hardware, our personality is software, etc) We are constantly (and through a variety of methods) exchanging and reproducing data whenever we interact with other humans. All these propositions taken together then, it would then seem to follow logically that within the human population self reproducing data patterns would naturally emerge that exist only in the (collective) human mind.

Additionally, just like in nature we have the simplest form of data self replication (a virus), we also have a staggering variety of far more complex variants of the same theme of self replicating data patterns. A virus is simplicity itself when compared to a bacterium, and both are orders of magnitude simpler than even the tiniest mammal. In the digital format we have again have a wide range of varying degrees of complexity evident

I tentatively propose then that there may exist a complex and interactive eco-system of self replicating data patterns that occur only in the medium of the (collective) human mind. A psycho-social “flora and fauna” of complex interactions between an as yet unrecognized variety of these self replicating data patterns, if you will. A “living” (but not self aware or directed) biosphere of data patterns that by random chance have “evolved” characteristics that permit them to self reproduce. Furthermore, much like microbial life these patterns would have a wide variety of complexity, as well as being constantly changing and evolving.

It would make sense then that opportunistic self replicating data patterns would target childhood as that is the most vulnerable point in the development of the human psyche. Much like with how diseases are generally more dangerous to the developing child body, during childhood our developing minds would logically be more vulnerable to infiltration by the behavior equivalent of these "Mental Fauna". Dust mites are passed on to us as children, as are literal millions of other micro organisms (mouth bacteria for example) some of which are benign, others serve a beneficial purpose as our bodies develop and age, and a few that are so exploitive as to be considered malevolent. In the same manner, Authoritarianism opportunistically targets children as its primary method of self replication because children have the least developed resistances against it.

I’ve got a good bit more I think I can develop on this concept but my head literally hurts too much to try and construct the Communication Metaphors required to explain further, so I’m going to put this up here for now and see what you all think.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Prester John posted:

I’ve got a good bit more I think I can develop on this concept but my head literally hurts too much to try and construct the Communication Metaphors required to explain further, so I’m going to put this up here for now and see what you all think.

Douglas Hofstadter made a good run at trying to frame the concept of self-referential patterns of symbols in both Gödel, Escher, Bach and I Am a Strange Loop. I think that the sections in GEB on the anteater and the anthill provides for a good point of commonality here.

Prester John posted:

In the same manner, Authoritarianism opportunistically targets children as its primary method of self replication because children have the least developed resistances against it.

I have likely missed this in previous posts... but do you believe that this is the willful acts of individuals attempting to propagate their beliefs, or that Authoritarianism is an emergent phenomenon that has taken on a life of its own at a level above the individuals that it works either on or through?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It has been said before, but you are just describing memes/memetics

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah, that whole writeup made me think of Dawkins' The Selfish Gene and The God Delusion. If you haven't read those then I'd seriously give them a go over (especially Selfish Gene).

You'll have to do your best to divorce Dawkins The Scientist from Dawkins The Obnoxious Smug rear end in a top hat.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Job Truniht posted:

Would you care to back this claim up? The only historical precedence for this were Stalinist regimes.

Well, the problem is that stalinism doesn't exist. But all the countries which get described as stalinist make up the bulk of the socialist states which hung around for more than 30 seconds and actually achieved a lot of their goals.

There's no way to abolish capitalism without "authoritarianism".

Pacifist socialist: give your private property to the people.

Capitalist: No.

Pacifist socialist: please?

Pacifist socialist: *is murdered in a cia coup*

Capitalist: god bless america, and its troops

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HorseLord posted:

Well, the problem is that stalinism doesn't exist. But all the countries which get described as stalinist make up the bulk of the socialist states which hung around for more than 30 seconds and actually achieved a lot of their goals.

There's no way to abolish capitalism without "authoritarianism".

Pacifist socialist: give your private property to the people.

Capitalist: No.

Pacifist socialist: please?

Pacifist socialist: *is murdered in a cia coup*

Capitalist: god bless america, and its troops

Wait, is the goal "abolishing capitalism," or is it the greatest happiness for the greatest number, with socialism as a route to that? Because democratic socialism is pretty awesome, it just doesn't "abolish capitalism."

edit: yikes that's a response to a post on the second page of this thread -- nevermind I thought I was in a different thread. Suffice to say I think non-authoritarian democratic socialism is at least a valid possibility for a form of government (see: Scandinavia).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

I'm going to echo what the other posters have said and suggest you read Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach and Dawkin's The Selfish Gene. The concepts you're describing are well fleshed-out there, and I think both books could add to your "mental vocabulary."

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Trivia posted:

Yeah, that whole writeup made me think of Dawkins' The Selfish Gene and The God Delusion. If you haven't read those then I'd seriously give them a go over (especially Selfish Gene).

You'll have to do your best to divorce Dawkins The Scientist from Dawkins The Obnoxious Smug rear end in a top hat.

True enough. I got to read me some Dawkins the Scientist.

Prester John posted:

Run with me here ladies and germs ...

Sure, I follow you, it's clear and cohesive, and pretty much resembles some of what Dawkins was saying a few years back. And I don't think one can entirely escape the 'language of intent' either, when talking about memetics.

And I had some ideas I wanted to offer, but I'm trying to quit a 30-year coffee habit and my brain isn't happy with me ATM, so I'm going to keep mulling things over a bit more and hope to bring more to the table here soon, after the pain goes away hopefully. This memetics stuff I find really exciting, as well as the main thread topic, so keep on!

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, is the goal "abolishing capitalism," or is it the greatest happiness for the greatest number, with socialism as a route to that? Because democratic socialism is pretty awesome, it just doesn't "abolish capitalism."

edit: yikes that's a response to a post on the second page of this thread -- nevermind I thought I was in a different thread. Suffice to say I think non-authoritarian democratic socialism is at least a valid possibility for a form of government (see: Scandinavia).

If it doesn't abolish capitalism, then it's not socialism. Socialism is a thing that replaces capitalism, just as capitalism replaced feudalism.

What you are thinking of as "democratic socialism" is actually Social Democracy, which is at best a well meaning but naive attempt to make a humane capitalism. At worst, it's an attempt to prevent a socialist revolution before it even happens via appeasing the working classes demands for better life in the most immediate way, which is why you saw things like working class British people only getting the right to vote when they came home from WWI while the ruling classes' collective monocle was still knocked off by the Russian Revolution, the post WWII welfare state, etc.

It's interesting to consider that that more malicious strand of Social Democracy died out when capital started to realize their fear of the Soviet bloc becoming a "good example" to western working classes was unfounded. This was what let regan and thatcher go "gently caress all y'all" and set about reversing the postwar social democratic gains. They knew they could destroy any political force that opposed them, and did.

Actual democratic socialists are anticapitalists also, they just think that they can get there via winning the capitalist state in an election, and reforming their way to utopia. This won't work, but they still do great things in making life better.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 4, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HorseLord posted:

If it doesn't abolish capitalism, then it's not socialism. Socialism is a thing that replaces capitalism, just as capitalism replaced feudalism.

What you are thinking of as "democratic socialism" is actually Social Democracy, which is at best a well meaning but naive attempt to make a humane capitalism. At worst, it's an attempt to prevent a socialist revolution before it even happens via appeasing the working classes demands for better life in the most immediate way, which is why you saw things like working class British people only getting the right to vote when they came home from WWI while the ruling classes' collective monocle was still knocked off by the Russian Revolution, the post WWII welfare state, etc.

Actual democratic socialists are anticapitalists also, they just think that they can get there via winning the capitalist state in an election, and reforming their way to utopia. This won't work, but they still do great things in making life better.

Yes that's the classic theory but several of those points are at least debatable if not disprovable (Marx's adoption of Hegelian historical dialectic is suspect at best; in practical terms differentiating between "social democrat" and "democratic socialist" often seems little more than hairsplitting; etc.) and would probably massively derail the thread if we actually started debating them here.

Regardless though I think all we need to establish for this thread is that nations can exist with either democratic socialist or social democratic governments without simultaneously being "authoritarian" governments. And depending on which definition of "social democrat" / "democratic socialist" you're looking at, you can generally find plenty of historical examples of such non-capital-A-Authoritarian, non-Totalitarian, by-some-definition-"socialist" governments.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 4, 2015

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Don't you dare poo poo up this thread you Tankie motherfucker.

Edit: HorseLord is literally a Tankie, he is an angry young white Englishman who loving loves Josef Stalin and jumps to his defense in multiple D&D threads. Ignore every single thing he posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Our militaristic "socialist" dictatorship will yield its absolute power to the working class when the revolution is complete because

• Locked thread