Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sure I'd love to watch a show about a tech writer, a waiter at Applebee's, a dental hygienist, an insurance actuary, and a Walmart greeter so much more than that. It's a science fiction/fantasy show? Makes perfect sense.

Science-fi violently packed full of Mary Sue that a 13yo actively sprouting their first short curly would find over-the-top makes "perfect sense" to hack directors that are universally dumped on for having lost their touch and you, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rocksicles posted:

Spoiler alert, shes a lesbian... in underwear

Nice, that's my 2nd favorite kind of lesbian.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

I'm not sure what Joe's angle here is since the Matrix 1 is the only decent movie of theirs I can remember.

Did they not do Speed Racer as well?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did they not do Speed Racer as well?

They also did Cloud Atlas which won some awards and some people like. But like with M. Night, having your first movie be a sizable breakout hit means that to call each subsequent movie "good" it means "a movie with massive appeal across a wide swatches of the population--including critics--and either won a bunch of awards or made a lot of money". In a vacuum plenty of their movies are far from bottom of the barrel, but measured against their first success it's easy to just dogpile on the hyperbole.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some people would argue Cloud Atlas was as bad as Lady in the Water, for many of the same reasons. I'm not one of them, but there are a lot of them out there, I think.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

soapgish posted:

Science-fi violently packed full of Mary Sue that a 13yo actively sprouting their first short curly would find over-the-top makes "perfect sense" to hack directors that are universally dumped on for having lost their touch and you, yes.

How do you define a Mary Sue?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Kvothe.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Personally, I can't wait to see "Nomi, a trans blogger and "hacktivist" named Nomi."

I hear her name is Nomi.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm just surprised none of them is Japanese.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

Wish fulfillment for either the author or audience, the same as everyone else, brain trust.

With heroic and action fare, the story arc itself provides ample opportunity to display any number of qualities which can make a character cool while also hooking the audience to the story but going so far as to give the characters jobs like this is cheap, idiotic, and tacky.

Why do the jobs matter? Aside from the bus driver, they all seem to be totally rad things you want to be when you can get a car and finally get out of this place, gah, and I cannot fathom any way in which they will inform the characters. Is Riley going to wicki-wicki-scratch a record backward and get an important message to the group? Is the mysterious, cool criminal who cracks safes going to use his super sensitive hearing from sticking a stethoscope to safes for years and years going to save everyone in a moment of crisis by hearing a pin drop? In what way is the hot chick who crushes business by day and sternums by night going to flesh out the character any more than, say, how she acts and reacts to the perils that unfold? Either the jobs are super important which is imbecilic because spicy hunk on television or they're not and they could be anything at all, thus making them almost all being juiced-up ideals of what the most amazing people in the world are doing a plea for someone, anyone, to think they are just too cool for school.

The problem with the Wachowskis is that Larry is no longer in the building. Good for Lana, whatever, but losing your sole struggle in life is a sword to the heart for an artist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Erm I think trans people might still have some struggle post transition.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

zoux posted:

Erm I think trans people might still have some struggle post transition.

Assuming that someone is always embattled for their gender is pretty low, but yeah, of course they do. Why are we speaking in absolutes and not generals, tho? If the goal was to live as a woman, I think the major hurdle has been cleared. Point stands.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

soapgish posted:

Is Riley going to wicki-wicki-scratch a record backward and get an important message to the group?
If this doesn't happen, I'm going to be bitterly disappointed.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

quote:

Deadline reports Of Kings and Prophets has been pulled from ABC's fall schedule to undergo casting changes while Quantico, which was previously slated for the Tuesday 10 PM slot, is set to fill its place Sundays at 10 PM. A replacement for the troublesome Tuesday 10PM timeslot has not yet been announced.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/06/02/of-kings-and-prophets-benched-by-abc-quantico-moves-to-fall-sunday-10pm-spot/411555/

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Not white enough?

re: Sense8

I watched the character trailers Netflix had for Sense8 and ... well at least those sort of provided some interesting hooks as to why each character is drastically different profession-wise a bit but the show's promotional material still gives me the impression the show itself either doesn't know what it is or it's playing literally everything else so close to the chest because something AWESOME is supposed to happen and be so revelatory. It might just fall flat on it's face though.

Like, I think the premise is decent but if it's supposed to become a thriller somehow I don't exactly know how the show is supposed to get there or what it's supposed to do once it does, to be honest. That's why I sort of want to see it in action.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just want Sense8 to be roughly as insane as Killer7 because it's clearly influenced by it. Even the loving name!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Taxi Brooklyn is amazing

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

soapgish posted:

Wish fulfillment for either the author or audience, the same as everyone else, brain trust.

The problem with that is that creativity, by and large, is wish fulfillment. A driven author who wants to see more of a certain story in the marketplace will fill that need on his own. So to criticize something as "wish fulfillment" is to criticize one of the most important engines of creativity itself.

Of course, wish fulfillment can be abused, leading to your classic Mary Sue: a character that is so perfect and effective and charming that he/she ceases to be interesting. Context plays a key role: in the original parody story that coined the term, Mary Sue operated in ways that shattered believability and neutralized any drama, all so she (and by turn the "author" she's standing in for) could be accepted by her heroes. Could that be the case here? Absolutely. Or the context could show that the killer skillsets on these characters can only bail them out so many times, and they'll need help from others to stay in the game. And maybe their working together creates problems that nobody has instant answers for, and they'll have to work to figure it out. Again, context is key.

We have no context. We have copy from a Rolling Stone article that explains a bit about who these characters are, some trailers that sell the concept but are vague at best about the story, and nothing else.

Now, it's one thing if you don't trust the authors to create compelling characters or tell a compelling story. There's nothing wrong with that, and you're free to ignore the show, or even check out a few episodes out of curiosity and dislike them. But if you're gonna swing your hipster dick around and call out "Mary Sue" based on COPY stating the transgendered character is a computer hacker and blogger, you're not only out of your mind, you're also kind of an rear end in a top hat. Because you have no other information to go on besides "Lana Wachowski used to be Larry" and "the transgendered character has a unique job," you can't help but sound like you're jumping to the conclusion that "Lana Wachowski will write the transgendered character as a terrible self-insert." It's an assumption you make alongside "Lana Wachowski has no more struggles now that she's transitioned," and then you have the balls to rag on zoux for making assumptions.

I mean I'd ask "What the gently caress," but I'm not really sure I want to know.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with your opinion. Your opinion's fine. It's your argument that's dogshit.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 2, 2015

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

I mean I'd ask "What the gently caress," but I'm not really sure I want to know.

I didn't bring up that character or make that argument at all, you "hipster dick" "dogshit" vomiting illiterate.

Every single person has struggles and needing to qualify an opinion that a person who got what they want did actually get what they want is par for your course- completely stupid, completely unnecessary.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

soapgish posted:

I didn't bring up that character or make that argument at all, you "hipster dick" "dogshit" vomiting illiterate.

Well, you used the term "Mary Sue," which is shorthand for an author's self-insert for purposes of wish fulfillment, so what other argument could you have been making?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

Taxi Brooklyn is amazing

Its definitely a show that will pick up an audience now that its on streaming, like Don't Trust the B, Spartacus and Breaking Bad.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I just watched episode 4 last night. That was a loving amazing episode. and not just because a ten year old kid steals the taxi.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I believe swinging hipster dick is MY job in this thread, drat it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I believe swinging hipster dick is MY job in this thread, drat it.

You are what you eat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

im just here to correct people's dumbass philistine opinions :kiddo:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

im just here to correct people's dumbass philistine opinions :kiddo:

Now's not the time to bring the jokes zoux.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But I got notecards...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Irish Joe posted:

Its definitely a show that will pick up an audience now that its on streaming, like Don't Trust the B, Spartacus and Breaking Bad.

Too bad its canceled

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is it worth watching the last five episodes of this season of Arrow and Flash? Interest in both shows just kinda drizzled at this point, which this problem was mostly directed at Arrow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rirse posted:

Is it worth watching the last five episodes of this season of Arrow and Flash? Interest in both shows just kinda drizzled at this point, which this problem was mostly directed at Arrow.

Nah don't bother.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rirse posted:

Yeah bother.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rirse posted:

Absolutely finish Flash. If Arrow was losing your interest, the end of the season won't really have done much to get it back. But yes, finish Flash.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The end run for Flash was some really awesome comic book TV. There was one big clunker of an episode but there was a ton of high notes and pretty much all the issues of the season came into play. I'd highly recommend it. Probably my most fun TV viewing this year.

Arrow's end was less memorable or high, but I enjoyed it. But I also don't have that usual TVIV "This is terrible, the show is garbage now" reaction to this season that the thread had. So if you were hating Arrow this season it didn't really change but if you didn't hate it but just thought it was kind of a down season (which I agree) it had a solid, if unspectacular finish.

I think its worth at least finishing if you have interest in Legends of Tomorrow.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

You are what you eat.

So Precision is a singularity of drugs?

IRQ fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 2, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Well, you used the term "Mary Sue," which is shorthand for an author's self-insert for purposes of wish fulfillment, so what other argument could you have been making?

Dude, soapgish has issues. Best not to go anywhere near that.

Anyway, interested in Sense8 this week. Anything out of the norm is at least worth checking out. I haven't been watching TV a lot lately, other than Silicon Valley and John Oliver, in favor of catching movies on Hulu and Amazon. Looking forward to sitting down and seeing how many episodes I can get through.

EDIT: Lost interest in Arrow in the second season, stopped watching. Lost interest in the Flash towards the end of the first season, stopped watching. The middle section of the show is brutal.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is it sensei or sensate.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

STAC Goat posted:

The end run for Flash was some really awesome comic book TV. There was one big clunker of an episode but there was a ton of high notes and pretty much all the issues of the season came into play. I'd highly recommend it. Probably my most fun TV viewing this year.

Arrow's end was less memorable or high, but I enjoyed it. But I also don't have that usual TVIV "This is terrible, the show is garbage now" reaction to this season that the thread had. So if you were hating Arrow this season it didn't really change but if you didn't hate it but just thought it was kind of a down season (which I agree) it had a solid, if unspectacular finish.

I think its worth at least finishing if you have interest in Legends of Tomorrow.

I didn't hate Arrow this season and the last few episodes are pretty good. Not as good as Season 2, but they are comic bookish enough for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I enjoyed Arrow this season but it definitely had a kind of worn tread "this again?" feel to it. It was hurt by having the new and exciting Flash to compare it against but it also needed a bit of a shakeup of the status quo. I think that by the end of the season there kind of was one but it came slowly and far less dramatically than Flash or previous Arrow seasons.

I liked Arrow S3, I loved Flash S1. And some people seem to have let Flash S1 reflect really badly on Arrow S3 and turned it into "I used to think this show was good but now that I've seen Flash I know I was wrong." It was just a bit of a down season, which is to be suspected in the third year where they're still playing on a lot of stuff from the pilot but haven't really found a new path or plan.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

IRQ posted:

So Precision is a singularity of drugs?

Are you implying Precision does drugs? I never would have guessed!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed Arrow this season but it definitely had a kind of worn tread "this again?" feel to it. It was hurt by having the new and exciting Flash to compare it against but it also needed a bit of a shakeup of the status quo. I think that by the end of the season there kind of was one but it came slowly and far less dramatically than Flash or previous Arrow seasons.

I liked Arrow S3, I loved Flash S1. And some people seem to have let Flash S1 reflect really badly on Arrow S3 and turned it into "I used to think this show was good but now that I've seen Flash I know I was wrong." It was just a bit of a down season, which is to be suspected in the third year where they're still playing on a lot of stuff from the pilot but haven't really found a new path or plan.

Third season is about when threads turn on genre shows.

• Locked thread