Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Thinking about trying Morrowind now that I understand things like "character builds" and "die rolls" better, anyone got a list of good mods to use to make the game look decent?

I remember there being a p good thread in Games, but it seems to have disappeared? I went 5 pages back and saw nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Inco posted:

Thinking about trying Morrowind now that I understand things like "character builds" and "die rolls" better, anyone got a list of good mods to use to make the game look decent?

I remember there being a p good thread in Games, but it seems to have disappeared? I went 5 pages back and saw nothing.

Morrowind sound and graphics overhaul, or mgso, is a package that puts tons of graphic and sound mods into an installer. It takes control of your mouse for the installation and puts everything in the right order and everything, prompting you to answer questions about how you want it to look.

Worked for me perfectly on the first try, easiest modding experience I've had in any game.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

In most open-world RPGs no matter how powerful your character is (like if you've ignored the main quest and done other stuff instead), the story will generally still treat you as someone who's weak and has to slowly prove their worth in several situations or whatever. In Morrowind, if you get to a high enough level without doing the main quest, Vivec sends a messenger to you saying "Screw it, your powerful enough, take this artifact you need to beat the bad guy and just do it".

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

Not only are there no "immortal" quest-centric NPCs as far as I know, but if you gently caress up the strands of fate and break the main quest there's actually another way to complete it anyway.

The other way, by the way, is personally killing a god.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ryoshi posted:

Not only are there no "immortal" quest-centric NPCs as far as I know, but if you gently caress up the strands of fate and break the main quest there's actually another way to complete it anyway. Morrowind is an incredibly designed game. I have no evidence for it but I'm pretty sure the Tribunal expansion was explicitly designed to make breaking the game open much easier, since it gives you both a Fortify Skill spell (which you can then use as the basis for your own ultra-broken Fortify Skill spells - Fortify Mercantile 100 for 1s and never ever pay more than 1 septim for anything ever again!) and a vendor selling Grand Soul Gems (which you can use for dozens of game-breaking shenanigans) within like two rooms of each other.

Actually there is only one character that is in fact truly, completely, and absolutely essential. If you want to complete the main quest there is "a back way" that you can still do even if you murdered literally everything on the island except one particular character. It's Yagrum, the last living dwarf. You know, the hideously bloated blob of a guy with mechanical spider legs. He can actually get the artifact working even if you've killed literally everything else that wasn't him and Dagoth Ur.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Babe Magnet posted:

The other way, by the way, is personally killing a god.

Like you weren't gonna do it anyway.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

He's got the most valuable soul in the game, of course his rear end is grass

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Reach heaven through Violence indeed.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Terminal Velocity from 1995 tries to sell you on buying the CD-ROM release instead of the floppy disk edition :allears:
Edit: Most of the graphic options in this game have two settings - 486 or Pentium.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:06 on May 30, 2015

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
More Witcher 3!

In Witcher 2 one of the routes through the game leads you to hang out with this elf guy Iorveth, the leader of some elf rebels and a real cool friend who wears a red headscarf to cover his hosed up eye. He was a pretty popular character. The other route makes you hang out with a different cool guy, Roche.

In 3 Roche is important and there's enough appearances from other established characters that you're always on the lookout for more. In an unrelated sidequest you get taken to an elf rebel camp to meet with their leader. They've all got bows and it's pretty reminiscent of the elf stuff in 2. The camera pans over the back of a dude crouching by a fire, red scarf over his head, pointy ear visible... and then he stands up and walks off, just some random elf, revealing the actual leader, a lady, behind him.

Made me laugh, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mierenneuker posted:

Terminal Velocity from 1995 tries to sell you on buying the CD-ROM release instead of the floppy disk edition :allears:
Edit: Most of the graphic options in this game have two settings - 486 or Pentium.

Holy poo poo, I recognized the screenshot before reading the text. Man, that takes me back, Terminal Velocity was amazingly fun. :allears:

Rise of the Triad was a bit more of a dick when it came to graphics (you could shrink the screen size to get a speed bost, a la Doom):

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Now that I've gotten to play it, something on the Prototype 2 kick:

In the first game, there was a mechanic called the Web of Intrigue where you unlocked brief clips of information that player character Alex Mercer learns from people he consumes. Unfortunately, completing this could be really annoying, as plenty of targets were only set to spawn randomly in certain areas, which meant you'd have to run to and from the area to try and get the target to show up.
In the sequel, Heller has this 'hunt' ability that lets him track down individuals to consume like the Web of Intrigue targets, and they're more or less guaranteed to spawn once you're put on the path of seeking a particular target after accessing //BLACKNET. It's so helpful to have that ability because it saves a lot of time and frustration.

There's still the possibility that your target dies in both, though, and you end up having to run back to the area and have them spawn again.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Spoilers for Tales of Xillia 2, but wow.

Holy poo poo fractured dimensions. Wingul becomes king of Auj Oule? Agria didn't die and is best buds with Leia? This rocks.

Milla-not-prime is such a downer though. I hate listening to her whining about spyrix, even though Maxwell himself said it's okay for the Elympions.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Holy poo poo fractured dimensions. Wingul becomes king of Auj Oule? Agria didn't die and is best buds with Leia? This rocks.

Milla-not-prime is such a downer though. I hate listening to her whining about spyrix, even though Maxwell himself said it's okay for the Elympions.

this is borderline word salad

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gently caress anime.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I, uh, don't think this will make sense for anyone who hasn't played Tales of Xillia 2.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tales games are crafted in a way that makes you sound incredibly insane when talking to another person who hasn't played them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Also if you still play them you're also incredibly insane.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Tales of phantasia was fun, it was a classic snes rpg with a cool side-scrolling battle system, and the story was not retarded.

I think I'm gonna replay it soon actually.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ToP owned, the characters were fun and stood out, and the villain was both scary and humanised.

Also, it somehow made a time travelling/medieval future story not a total mess.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Tales games are crafted in a way that makes you sound incredibly insane when talking to another person who hasn't played them.

This is pretty much spot on. I don't want to spoil the game for anyone who might want to play it (ha), but it is so fun and full of great little things.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Based on your previous post I'd say it's basically an impossible game to spoil.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

this is borderline word salad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I've heard the word fonon so much it's lost all meaning :shepface:. Not that it had one to begin with, but you get my meaning.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fon fon fon auf der Autobahn?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Am working through my Steam library and got round to playing Mysteries of the Sith, the 1998 expansion for Jedi Knight. It's a pretty drat ugly game with some really dated modelling, but at least you can zip around the levels at ridiculous speeds.

But the final boss is pretty cool. You cannot beat your dark side-crazed former master with violence - nothing you try even scratches him. The only solution is to stand still, turn off your lightsaber and let him attack you. Felt pretty zen."

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I was playing Kotor 2 with the restored content mod on my computer and there was something great that happened. I went through most of the game as a grey Jedi and towards the end there's a big exposition dump the essentially boils down to learning you never had a choice(similar to the one in the first game) and I was actually angry, like I decided then and there to go through the rest of the game with vengeance on my mind. So I go off to the next planet or whatever is dictated by the plot, and I'm in control of the often amusing HK-47, going to blow up a factory that's pumping out substandard iterations of himself. The entire level was left out of the game when I originally played it on Xbox, so it was my first time playing it. It was so funny and refreshing compared to the rest of the game that when I was dumped back into the game with my Jedi, my attitude had changed completely and I'm actually being helpful and positive to people.

If you have played Kotor 2 but never played the HK-50 factory, you should at least look it up on youtube or something, it was great.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
There's a really nice touch about the factory that was in the original files - it's littered with gas traps, which do nothing to HK-47, because the HK-50's thought that if anyone was going to attack the factory it would be a force-user and not an older model droid.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In Risen 2 whenever you jump off of something the camera lingers at its original height until after you hit the ground and then it zooms down to catch up to you, it's completely dynamic and is an awesome effect that makes big jumps feel properly vertigo-inducing.

Also the game has the best excuse for your character returning to level 1 between installments: using an ancient artifact and killing a Titan at the end of the first game got him a ton of fame and recognition but also freaked him the gently caress out so he's been spending the time between games lazing about and getting shitfaced every night.

Tendronai posted:

There's a really nice touch about the factory that was in the original files - it's littered with gas traps, which do nothing to HK-47, because the HK-50's thought that if anyone was going to attack the factory it would be a force-user and not an older model droid.

On the other hand, your reward for finishing the HK factory is the strongest anti-droid gun in the game...right after you finished the last point in the game to feature droids as enemies.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That HK factory as presented in the restoration project is not much fun to actually play but I'm prepared to forgive all its sins because it features this line of dialogue explaining the robots' plans:

"There are organics throughout the universe, and we will murder them all."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

2house2fly posted:

That HK factory as presented in the restoration project is not much fun to actually play but I'm prepared to forgive all its sins because it features this line of dialogue explaining the robots' plans:

"There are organics throughout the universe, and we will murder them all."

That section had a lot of great dialogue, having one of the main antagonists be copies of the fan-favorite character from the first game was the kind of thing that could have been unfunny pandering but turned out way better than it should have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhp1Q2vg0xQ&t=205s

The dialog in the vanilla game where he takes the piss out of the first game's story was really funny too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr81SliHytA

"Oh, master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for, but I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold! :roboluv:"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Here's an odd Little Thing, and to explain why I like it, a little backstory: I don't play multiple games at a game, generally. I play one exclusively, :spergin: out over every detail about playing it, before getting bored of it and moving onto another. A lot of the time, things don't line up perfectly. Either I want to play more but there's just not enough there, or I don't want to play any more but I'm a bit of completionist and I don't want to stop till I'm done. But there's one game that always seems to have just enough content that the length of content I want to play lines up with my Gaming Attention Span:

Spore.

I don't know why or how, but playing from Cell Stage to the "Oh gently caress I'll have to grind out missions to level up my Captain" moment in the Space Stage, times the most archetypal races I like playing, is precisely the amount of time I tend to be super into one game. I know, some people don't like the game because it wasn't the heavy-science detail-rich game that an early dry sandbox demonstration was (:wtc:), but it's fun enough for me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MisterBibs posted:

Here's an odd Little Thing, and to explain why I like it, a little backstory: I don't play multiple games at a game, generally. I play one exclusively, :spergin: out over every detail about playing it, before getting bored of it and moving onto another. A lot of the time, things don't line up perfectly. Either I want to play more but there's just not enough there, or I don't want to play any more but I'm a bit of completionist and I don't want to stop till I'm done. But there's one game that always seems to have just enough content that the length of content I want to play lines up with my Gaming Attention Span:

Spore.

I don't know why or how, but playing from Cell Stage to the "Oh gently caress I'll have to grind out missions to level up my Captain" moment in the Space Stage, times the most archetypal races I like playing, is precisely the amount of time I tend to be super into one game. I know, some people don't like the game because it wasn't the heavy-science detail-rich game that an early dry sandbox demonstration was (:wtc:), but it's fun enough for me.

I do this, too, but the games don't tend to last that long. However, I do always circle back to them. Last two months, it was Borderlands, and a bit of KSP. Right now, it's all things Doom.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Going back to one of my favorite games, The World Ends With You. Pretty much everything about it fits for the thread, but I want to focus on one thing I loved: the drop system.

TWEWY has on-the-fly adjustable difficulty with four settings, although the fourth is postgame only. Each difficulty has its own drops and their own droprates, though the game will roll for lower difficulties as well if you're playing on a higher one and don't get that drop, so it's not as tedious as it might otherwise be. Drop rates are generally pretty low, especially later on in the game...but there's a catch.

The other form of adjustable difficulty is that you can manually set your effective level to anything from 1 to your current level. Lowering your level reduces your max health by a chunk for each one...but also acts as a flat multiplier to the droprate. Something has a 5% chance to drop? Just set your level 20 below and it's guaranteed.

It's a system that rewards risk taking and skill (because you actually had to get good at the game in order to survive fights with much less health) and I loved it. To the point that my last couple runs have been playing purely on Hard and set to level 1. TWEWY is such a goddamn good game.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It went even deeper than that, too. You could chain fights together and fight them one after another for even more multiplier, fighting them all one after another without getting the free heal you usually get between fights.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah. Some of the drop rates seemed insanely low (.1%) but you could get multipliers super high if you were good and knew what you were doing. In the main game you could chain up to four battles together (each one adding another multiplier), and in the postgame you could go up to sixteen in a row, including refights of story bosses and some optional boss fights.

Some of your abilities had cooldowns and some (especially healing ones) had limited uses, adding more challenge to long, drawn out fights and chains. TWEWY did so many things so well.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I just noticed this for the first time :laugh:

For those who have never played it, in Transistor, you can stop time on the battlefield to queue up attacks. The game will predict the outcome of each single attack in a list that hovers near the enemy, counting up the damage you'll do when the attacks are executed. If you queue up a bunch of attacks on an enemy that is weak enough that it'll be overkilled by a ridiculous margin, you get this lovely little message.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

My favorite thing about this game was that you could fudge the joystick calibration by only going halfway to the corners, so in-game when you pulled the stick all the way you had double the turning speed. So much fun

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I just noticed this for the first time :laugh:

For those who have never played it, in Transistor, you can stop time on the battlefield to queue up attacks. The game will predict the outcome of each single attack in a list that hovers near the enemy, counting up the damage you'll do when the attacks are executed. If you queue up a bunch of attacks on an enemy that is weak enough that it'll be overkilled by a ridiculous margin, you get this lovely little message.

Huh, I 100%ed that game and I don't think I ever saw that. Transistor was a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Deus Ex is weird. You get skill points for flushing toilets. I mean it's two points each and not every single toilet seems to do it but still.