Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
This has likely already been posted, but it's still cool. (except for panel 20)
http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/centennial/Documents/Heritage%20Paint%20Project.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Edit: Just noticed after posting this the T-33 flying spotter or whatever its doing

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pik_d posted:

Edit: Just noticed after posting this the T-33 flying spotter or whatever its doing

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA9Kato1CxA

brains
May 12, 2004

drat that looks good. i forgot about the heritage series, they did a really good job with those. some of the WWII fleet schemes are just gorgeous on modern aircraft.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Duke Chin posted:

I want this plane to have like, neon runners, multi-colored steamers, rainbow smoke trailing from the wings and a giant, towed banner saying something like FOLLOW ME TO BOMB ZE KRAUTS.

Oh and sparklers.

also needs a sound system similar to the ones in the Apocalypse Now UH1s

preferably playing this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLkhRMBOtzk

note : if you listen to the entire song you'll have Nazi propaganda swing music stuck in your head for the rest of the day

admit it, you've had that image preloaded and waiting since page 747

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Ardeem posted:

Do acrobatic squadrons count?

Yes, let's the airplane with the carburetored engine and a gravity fed gasline in it that quits in negative Gs in livery that's best appreciated when the aircraft is upside down.

You're probably just funnin', but this bears being talked about.

Being upside down doesn't cause engines to quit, but staying upside down does. If you allow the nose to drop while momentarily passing through an inverted attitude, the G's will stay positive. Quite a lot of basic and intermediate aerobatic maneuvers can be flown under positive G all the way through, and there are a ton of lower-end aerobatic planes doing so every day.

It wasn't until the 1960s or 70s that rudimentary inverted fuel systems started being put into use. And by rudimentary, I mean it. I think I remember Neil Williams in his book Aerobatics (interesting book from a historical perspective, in it he talks about being at the first contest where the Czechs showed off lomcevaks to Westerners) describing one, where the pilot had to, when starting a negative G maneuver, manually shut off the normal tank because the combined fuel flow from the normal and inverted tanks would flood the engine, causing it to quit. But he had to do this before the start of the maneuver, because the effect would take some time. Doing it too early would, of course, also make it quit. So you had too time it just right, all the while flying aerobatics. (I may not be getting the exact details right, but you can still see the finicky and cumbersome process)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

787s look so stubby for whatever reason.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

cozy

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Because they do look stubby. The -8 does anyway. The -9 has much more aesthetic proportions.

E-

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 3, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

17.3" seat width. Gah.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

hobbesmaster posted:

17.3" seat width. Gah.

I will suffer crappy seating - even for a 13hr long haul - if it means I can actually afford to fly

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But you can just find a seat on a 777 and get an extra inch of seat width.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, looks weird when compared to the 777, though the 777-9 looks weird in the opposite way

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Great timing for this page today, Air Canada's first 787-900 out of the factory:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Cool livery!

e:

this one too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pik_d posted:

Yeah, looks weird when compared to the 777, though the 777-9 looks weird in the opposite way

777-9 has some 757-300 going on

Do we have a long plane is long metric? If we do length divided by cabin with we get 12.8 vs 15.4 so I guess the 757-300 is still the leader in looking lanky.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 3, 2015

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

pik_d posted:

If you want a vision of the future of commercial aviation, imagine a low slung twinjet of indeterminate size stomping through the skies forever.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey, page 787...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xPHopebiE&t=13s

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
The first and third linked videos in this thread just further serve to prove that YouTube commenters are literally, LITERALLY the dumbest loving people on the planet.

I'm also a goddamn dumb for looking at the comments section in there
:negative:

buttcrackmenace posted:

also needs a sound system similar to the ones in the Apocalypse Now UH1s

preferably playing this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLkhRMBOtzk
:stonklol: This, however... Wow. Definitely needs to be on the Assembly Plane's kickin' Alpine stereo system.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

C.M. Kruger posted:

This has likely already been posted, but it's still cool. (except for panel 20)
http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/centennial/Documents/Heritage%20Paint%20Project.pdf

I love that P-3s have been around so long that some of their heritage paint schemes are just their original colors.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I have always liked the blended wingtip whatnot on the 787

-I'll cut-choo, bitch!

Also: this is required watching on page 787
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZRKm6PG918

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

At least everyone gets a screen. I remember sharing the big on up front and it sucked

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Scratch Monkey posted:

I remember sharing the big on up front and it sucked

I always hated that poo poo.

And hey certification flights are always an interesting watch. Though no where near as dramatic and fun as the airbus brake test flambe' fest a few years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fz7486Dhfg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nKFGQCAg3c&t=53s

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

ANA 787 sitting at the Pima Air & Space Museum.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Scratch Monkey posted:

At least everyone gets a screen. I remember sharing the big on up front and it sucked

I wonder if the personal screen thing has made the lives of flight attendants any easier?

Way fewer bored people, but it's something new to complain about.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Good thing they didn't build this thing instead of the 787...man, it would have been a disaster. Or at least, a bigger disaster.

E:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 4, 2015

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

MrChips posted:

Good thing they didn't build this thing instead of the 787...man, it would have been a disaster. Or at least, a bigger disaster.

E:

... I really want to see that from the bottom. What would the intakes even look like?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ardeem posted:

... I really want to see that from the bottom. What would the intakes even look like?

Fuselage

Can't be hosed flipping one of the images. :effort:

E: Did it anyways.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 4, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ardeem posted:

These Germans threw some S ducts down there. http://www.mh-aerotools.de/company/paper_7/astec_2002.htm

I didn't immediately find a picture of the Boeing concept model from below.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Naturally Selected posted:

Fuselage

Can't be hosed flipping one of the images. :effort:

E: Did it anyways.

That plane just looks so drat happy. Reminds me of a big fat doofy Labrador for some reason.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ardeem posted:

I found a few pictures

The best image of the intakes, really a bit :staredog:

A few others, not all official obviously

And a slightly less radical design:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Don't get me wrong, the part of me that covered school notebooks with suspiciously similar looking scribbles loves the idea, but what exactly were the purported advantages of a double delta airliner with canards?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

pik_d posted:

I found a few pictures

The best image of the intakes, really a bit :staredog:

Not her best angle, to be sure :staredog:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

It's everything I imagined it'd be.

And I suppose it moves the efficiency vs stability graph twords efficiency. Better lift, faster climb, better high speed performance, shorter flight times, less fuel burned, more profit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It was designed to cruise at Mach 0.95 or so. At that speed parts of the wing are supersonic so you need some supersonic aircraft design control surfaces like a flying tailplane (well, cannards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Dihedral canards :barf: JUST SAY NO