Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What an rear end in a top hat, wanting cheap efficient transportation. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

(spoiler: the more people that use those the more gas gets saved to dump into your fire breathing thousand-liter muscle car)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

PT6A posted:

I see... a scooter? You're going to have to be way more specific about why this is weird or annoying, because I've got nothing.

This is the electric bicycle. It is essentially a regular bike with an electric motor and can reach speeds of 32km/h.

What's the main attraction? Well, according to http://scooteretti.com No Licence & No Insurance Needed!. It's completely unregulated, and its riders treat it as a pedestrian-crushing sidewalk weapon or a car-obstructing road vehicle in equal measure. You can find them being ridden by drivers who've had their licenses revoked for DUI all over town, holding up dozens of cars at a time because they're riding the stupid thing without a helmet in the middle of the lane, or making pedestrians on the sidewalk dive for cover as they plow through crowds.

Truly the worst thing. If you don't agree, it can only be because you've never seen one of these menaces in action.

Edit:

Here are two people driving one of these things on the sidewalk. Beep beeep!
https://youtu.be/6EVxfK2g0ns?t=4

Here they are being driven on the road.
https://youtu.be/6EVxfK2g0ns?t=55

Choice quotes from this if you don't have time -

"You have to watch out because they're totally silent, so people can't hear you coming"

"Stuck in traffic? No problem, just cut through a public park to get uptown."

"It did feel as though I was compromising my safety traveling down multi-lane roads."

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 2, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pfox posted:

It's completely unregulated, and its riders treat it as a pedestrian-crushing sidewalk weapon or a car-obstructing road vehicle in equal measure.
So it is just a regular bike?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

InitialDave posted:

So it is just a regular bike?

Nope! It's a bike with a motor that drives it at 32km an hour without any exertion on your part, and you don't need a license to operate it!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's a bigger electric bike, I don't really see how it's any less terrible than a regular cyclist (other than fat people on the electric one, I guess.)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If they looked like an actual bike instead of a scooter I'd be willing to forgive their existence. ...but someone thought "you know what's cool? SCOOTERS!" and then made it look like poo poo.

But yeah there's a real legal grey area on electric bikes, I think over here if they're capable of over a certain speed *edit: 15 mph they have to be registered as actual scooters.

quote:

All electric bikes with motors more powerful than 250W rated are required to display a tax disc, insurance is mandatory, the vehicle must be registered display number plates and carry an MOT certificate. Any rider of such a vehicle must hold a current driving licence and keep to the laws appertaining to mopeds. Anyone found riding an electric bike with a motor larger than 250W rated power without the correct documentation is liable to be prosecuted by the police. The rider will be open for prosecution for driving without a licence, driving without insurance, driving an unlicensed vehicle etc. If the person riding such a vehicle has a current driving licence and is prosecuted, they will receive penalty points and may even be banned from driving any motor vehicle.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

88h88 posted:

All electric bikes with motors more powerful than 250W rated are required to display a tax disc, insurance is mandatory, the vehicle must be registered display number plates and carry an MOT certificate. Any rider of such a vehicle must hold a current driving licence and keep to the laws appertaining to mopeds. Anyone found riding an electric bike with a motor larger than 250W rated power without the correct documentation is liable to be prosecuted by the police. The rider will be open for prosecution for driving without a licence, driving without insurance, driving an unlicensed vehicle etc. If the person riding such a vehicle has a current driving licence and is prosecuted, they will receive penalty points and may even be banned from driving any motor vehicle.

My headlights are more powerful than 250W..

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
in the left lane, a new, still with paper plates Yukon XL and a driver very animatedly talking on their cell phone
in the right lane, a new, still with paper plates Yukon XL and a driver very animatedly talking on their cell phone

they nearly hit each other because they couldn't keep it in their own loving lane. it was the most surreal thing to watch.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mooseykins posted:

My headlights are more powerful than 250W..

I just had a look to see what Strava's up to in terms of tracking power output on my rides. Peaks over 1000w according to that so yeah, those bikes can barely push themselves along because I'm no Tour de France rider.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
loving cyclists
http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/29/100-people-help-lift-bus-off-trapped-unicycle-rider-in-london-5220530/

I don't know what happened or if the guy's at fault.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

He was on a unicycle, of course it's his fault.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

It's a pretty cool video as you can see the bus moving, but jesus h. christ camera lady, could you stop sobbing and repeating "please please please" as though it's your 8 month old stuck in there?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Sigma X posted:

It's a pretty cool video as you can see the bus moving, but jesus h. christ camera lady, could you stop sobbing and repeating "please please please" as though it's your 8 month old stuck in there?

Yeah what a loser having empathy for other human beings, right?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mobby_6kl posted:

He was on a unicycle, of course it's his fault.

Dreadlocks!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't know if anyone deserves to be killed or maimed for making horrible life choices, but this gentleman certainly is a contender.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

"The car, however, suffered 12,000 euros (£8,600) worth of damage.
The tank, not entirely surprisingly - was unscathed."

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

How would you even fix something like that? I dunno how they would even estimate it at 12k Euros to repair, unless the car cost 12k Euros new.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Uthor posted:

Dreadlocks!

If he was white then it was the universe's way of trying to tell him something.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

88h88 posted:

I just had a look to see what Strava's up to in terms of tracking power output on my rides. Peaks over 1000w according to that so yeah, those bikes can barely push themselves along because I'm no Tour de France rider.

250w will keep you going 23-24mph on a road bike. So add 100lbs and an upright seating position, and I can't see that thing being able to go much more than 20 on flat ground.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How would you even fix something like that? I dunno how they would even estimate it at 12k Euros to repair, unless the car cost 12k Euros new.

They won't fix it. But the adjuster still has to estimate the repair costs as part of the claim processing so they can make a determination whether it's worth considering repair.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Apparently, I am one of them.

I like to coast to red lights.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

They won't fix it. But the adjuster still has to estimate the repair costs as part of the claim processing so they can make a determination whether it's worth considering repair.

Yeah, I just don't even know where I would start with that. Maybe call up a guy on that Russian auto body forum, ask him what he would charge and then octuple it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I just don't even know where I would start with that. Maybe call up a guy on that Russian auto body forum, ask him what he would charge and then octuple it.

My approach would be to look up the average sale price for that model and year, and add a thousand.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spqZ704Um-s

:catstare:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

I would venture to say the cyclist is about 1 million percent at fault.

Here's another example of a cyclist meeting a bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2xIch7gpg

I hope the bus is okay. :ohdear:

Once they determine that the vehicle has irrepairable structural damage they'll just put down the market value of the car. It's not actually 12k Euros to repair, but 12k Euros worth of damage in that the car is a write-off.

The gently caress? The dude obviously knew what what coming to him too, looking around. Would've been better to just pull over and let the idiot pass and gently caress off into the distance.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mooseykins posted:

Here's another example of a cyclist meeting a bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2xIch7gpg

I hope the bus is okay. :ohdear:

Fixie rider. Too cool to have brakes = dumb, avoidable accidents like this poo poo. Twat.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
That bicyclist said his brake line snapped, he's still a massive tard-rear end.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MrLonghair posted:

That bicyclist said his brake line snapped, he's still a massive tard-rear end.

Still got the other brakes. Cyclists will never admit they're in the wrong. He flew over that red regardless.

The cyclist's guide of how to make friends and influence people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfdvIfT8H5c

He proper went after the car and wanted a reaction by pedalling like mad and calling the driver a "loving prick". Don't start a fight, don't get punched in the face.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 2, 2015

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Furthermore, people who intentionally back into front* angle parking are the dumbest and worst life forms in the Cosmos

*excluding the actually clever yet largely baffling concept of rear angle parking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwBDJmWbnk4

We have rear angle parking in a few areas here in Kansas City, and I absolutely love it. I actually opt for those spots over normal street parking, even if it means I have to walk an extra couple blocks from my car to my destination.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mooseykins posted:

The gently caress? The dude obviously knew what what coming to him too, looking around. Would've been better to just pull over and let the idiot pass and gently caress off into the distance.

Still no excuse to use your car as a battering ram because some prick biker had words. There's gotta be criminal charges behind that poo poo.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Still no excuse to use your car as a battering ram because some prick biker had words. There's gotta be criminal charges behind that poo poo.

Oh, i absolutely agree. But the biker could've just pulled over, let the idiot pass them and they could both go on their merry way, in the interest of self-preservation. There are times when people really piss me off driving and i just think it's not worth the risk damaging my vehicle to make a point, let them gently caress off into the distance and carry on. Sure would've saved him a lot of trouble, money, broken foot, etc.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Look at this loving mentalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDvrkJkCdJg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...r-10292227.html

*edIT: oh gently caress he owns Brew cafe which is a restaurant/coffee shop and also a loving bike shop... That's INCREDIBLE.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 3, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

88h88 posted:

Look at this loving mentalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDvrkJkCdJg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...r-10292227.html

*edIT: oh gently caress he owns Brew cafe which is a restaurant/coffee shop and also a loving bike shop... That's INCREDIBLE.

Welcome to London.

Put your hands in the air like you just don't care!

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 3, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mooseykins posted:

Welcome to London.

...full of aussies.

Haha someone found a photo of him stood on some scales photographing his weight. ........and showing off his little cock in the reflection.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 3, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

88h88 posted:

...full of aussies.

You don't expect there to be English people here, do you???

88h88 posted:

Haha someone found a photo of him stood on some scales photographing his weight. ........and showing off his little cock in the reflection.

What the hell were you searching for to find that?

Actually, don't want to know.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You assume I was searching for a picture of his cock. I was just checking out twitter to see what they were saying about him and then had my eyeballs assaulted.

NSFW CONTAINS PENIS (barely).
https://twitter.com/thejoyofenglish/status/605483739095961600/photo/1

Also shout out to his hilariously under-reading bathroom scales.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

88h88 posted:

You assume I was searching for a picture of his cock.

Well, yeah, but i wasn't judging you about it.

(I was a little bit.)

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
ha! should have opened his trunk or something when he was driving off. always a good prank!

Mooseykins posted:

Welcome to London.

Put your hands in the air like you just don't care!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Alarbus posted:

They were probably from Pennsylvania. I'd never seen it in New England, but apparently it's a thing here.

The thing about this is that the on-ramps around Philly are only about 50ft long, and hit the highway at not quite a right angle, but at such an angle that all of the oncoming traffic is perfectly in your blind spot.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Emushka posted:

ha! should have opened his trunk or something when he was driving off. always a good prank!

Dude was already short-man flipping out that the cyclist touched his car .........despite the fact he basically pushed the guy off the road with it. Logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

The thing about this is that the on-ramps around Philly are only about 50ft long, and hit the highway at not quite a right angle, but at such an angle that all of the oncoming traffic is perfectly in your blind spot.

Oh yeah, that's the best angle. Looking over shoulder is useless, mirror is useless.