Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

Apparently, I am one of them.

I like to coast to red lights.

Nah, man, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. ...unless you're doing it in the left (right in LHD countries) lane and preventing people from making a green turn arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

I dunno, if you aren't a fat out of breath moron who can't plan their route, it's not a problem. I find it hilarious (and tragic) when I see people red light jump past me instead of stopping for 10 seconds. The light turns green and I'm effortlessly passing them after just a couple of pedal turns, and I'm no lycra + carbon fibre bike nerd. I got a pretty heavy bike from the 70's. 10 speed at least. There is no excuse for jumping red lights, and over here, in the city voted best city in the country for bicycles and where riding on sidewalks is illegal, there is no excuse for blowing past people on the sidewalk because you are afraid to go on the road on the few places that you have to.

Sorry, you are full of poo poo if you say it's not inconvenient to come to a stop on a bicycle. I ride an aluminum framed Trek, it's not a pro bike but it's better than a Wal-mart special and the aluminum frame makes it pretty light, but I still dislike coming to a stop. If I leave the bike in hi gear pedaling from a stop takes a lot more effort, if I shift to second gear it my derailer takes a while to switch gears. Both of those options require more effort than a driver moving their foot two inches to a brake pedal. My point is that if I am driving and I see a bicycle who is not acting stupid, I will try to brake for them because I like bikers and I don't want to force them to stop.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Emushka posted:

ha! should have opened his trunk or something when he was driving off. always a good prank!

If you really want to piss someone off, fold their mirror in while you're both moving. Of course in a car, you'll only be able to reach their passenger mirror, and since they can't reach over to fold it back out, they're generally fuming over it! :v:

One of my favourites.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Theris posted:

Nah, man, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. ...unless you're doing it in the left (right in LHD countries) lane and preventing people from making a green turn arrow.

This is the correct answer.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Crotch Fruit posted:

Sorry, you are full of poo poo if you say it's not inconvenient to come to a stop on a bicycle. I ride an aluminum framed Trek, it's not a pro bike but it's better than a Wal-mart special and the aluminum frame makes it pretty light, but I still dislike coming to a stop. If I leave the bike in hi gear pedaling from a stop takes a lot more effort, if I shift to second gear it my derailer takes a while to switch gears. Both of those options require more effort than a driver moving their foot two inches to a brake pedal. My point is that if I am driving and I see a bicycle who is not acting stupid, I will try to brake for them because I like bikers and I don't want to force them to stop.

Alternatively though, if we're trying to promote biking to reduce carbon emissions, stopping a car is a lot worse for the environment than stopping a bike.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm confused why bikers don't have to follow the same rules as cars if they're on the road. Stopping at stop signs and intersections for example.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

howling_mad posted:

I'm confused why bikers don't have to follow the same rules as cars if they're on the road. Stopping at stop signs and intersections for example.

They're meant to, they just don't do it.

Over here they all run reds because they won't get caught.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
cyclist in my neighborhood t-boned a cop by running a stop sign a few years ago. I wish I had a picture of it, it was pretty awesome.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

keyboard vomit posted:

Yeah what a loser having empathy for other human beings, right?

"human beings" lol.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

I'm kinda surprised that guy is still alive. I swear that's the same guy who has posted other videos of him being a spazz on a motorcycle for years.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Driving down a two lane road on my way to work today, and decide as a nice big gap has appeared in the lane next to me I'll switch lanes so I'm in the right one to join the motorway further down the road. Traffic is moving at about 15-20mph, and the gap I want to move into is about 3-4 car lengths long between a truck and a Land Rover. As soon as I flick my indicator on before I start moving in, the Land Rover guns it to block the gap up, nearly causing a collision and forcing me to abort.

oval office.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Mooseykins posted:

They're meant to, they just don't do it.

Over here they all run reds because they won't get caught.

Same around here. Which is crazy, because I live in New England, and everybody's insane on the roads. It's not a safe place to drive, let alone ride a bike. Much respect to them for their courage, I guess, but running stop signs/red lights is super sketchy. All that being said, I don't see a lot of cyclists... probably for those exact reasons.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

howling_mad posted:

Most of us do. Just like all the lovely drivers mentioned in this thread, the ones doing dumb poo poo just stand out more.

That said, my feet are clipped into the pedals and I'm on two wheels. If I don't have to wait for oncoming traffic I'll keep rolling at a stop sign.

To contribute to the people you share a road with, a women in my hometown just got killed by a driver while riding on a huge shoulder because that person was looking at their phone. Half the comments are blaming the rider.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I had to help lift a motorcycle off someone yesterday. I was walking back to my car after work, and saw a guy pulling up to a parking garage entrance on his Harley. I don't know if he changed his mind at the last minute or what, but he almost came to a stop, swung in to a hard left, and just sort of fell over. I went to see if he was ok along with a couple of other people. We got his bike back up and I don't think he was hurt. Just thought it was odd he just dropped it like that though. Made sure he was ok, and kept walking, since there were other people there, including a friend of his I think.

Less then a block later I saw someone make a left on to a one-way street leaving a different parking garage and cut across three lanes of traffic to make an immediate right turn, almost side-swiping another car in the process.
Hooray for Madison drivers I guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Idiot cyclist dogpile chat: going to lunch today, truck and a cyclist were waiting at a red stop light that has a "no turn on red" designation. Truck wanted to turn right, cyclist wanted to go straight. Truck was in front, cyclist was stopped by the curb near the truck's rear tire.

Light goes green. Can anyone predict what happens?

Cyclist started pedaling furiously, cuts off truck who had just begun their turn and is forced to jam on the brakes and sit there until the biker cleared out of the way.

loving idiot.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

xzzy posted:

Idiot cyclist dogpile chat: going to lunch today, truck and a cyclist were waiting at a red stop light that has a "no turn on red" designation. Truck wanted to turn right, cyclist wanted to go straight. Truck was in front, cyclist was stopped by the curb near the truck's rear tire.

Cyclist started pedaling furiously, cuts off truck who had just begun their turn and is forced to jam on the brakes and sit there until the biker cleared out of the way.

loving idiot.

But pedalling from a stop takes a lot more effort than a driver moving their foot two inches to a brake pedal. :downs:

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

88h88 posted:

Look at this loving mentalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDvrkJkCdJg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...r-10292227.html

*edIT: oh gently caress he owns Brew cafe which is a restaurant/coffee shop and also a loving bike shop... That's INCREDIBLE.

To be fair, "I'm allowed in the road," is a pretty weak excuse when there's a perfectly serviceable bike path less than 20 feet away. On the other hand, Mr. Land Rover Mobile Compensation Fortress has a bad case of small-man syndrome and deserves everything bad that results from him being a oval office.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

xzzy posted:

loving idiot.

I find it weird as gently caress when the cyclist actually waits for you to turn.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

TNO posted:

To be fair, "I'm allowed in the road," is a pretty weak excuse when there's a perfectly serviceable bike path less than 20 feet away. On the other hand, Mr. Land Rover Mobile Compensation Fortress has a bad case of small-man syndrome and deserves everything bad that results from him being a oval office.

"Perfectly serviceable" can be a matter of opinion. Turning vehicles generally only look for pedestrians in the crossing, and don't understand that a bike going nearly as fast as them has the right of way. Vehicles also tend to block the crossing while they wait for the cross traffic to be clear.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Do cyclists have the right to overtake on the inside of a turning lane, mind you? That's just loving stupid. Ride on the other side of the lane and there's no problem.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

PT6A posted:

Do cyclists have the right to overtake on the inside of a turning lane, mind you? That's just loving stupid. Ride on the other side of the lane and there's no problem.

I'm not sure what part of the video you might be referring to. I'm assuming you are referring to xzzy's post.

I'd say check your local laws. Its a grey area here. If there is a bike lane, and the turning vehicle left it clear, then yes the bike has the right of way. The turning vehicle should move over and block the lane prior to making the turn, and the bike can pass on the outside to continue. If there is no bike lane, then the bike and the turning vehicle are sharing the same lane, in which case the bike should wait for the vehicle to complete its turn (ie act like a car). Even if the law is on the bike's side, its a dumb move, and the bike probably should have just waited for the truck to complete the turn.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

Brigdh posted:

"Perfectly serviceable" can be a matter of opinion. Turning vehicles generally only look for pedestrians in the crossing, and don't understand that a bike going nearly as fast as them has the right of way. Vehicles also tend to block the crossing while they wait for the cross traffic to be clear.

That wasn't really the issue in the video, though. All I saw was a self-righteous rear end in a top hat in a Land Rover confirming all the stereotypes about Land Rover owners.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

TNO posted:

Cyclepaths are often useless, and that goes double if you're on a roadbike and/or making good progress. The Disco twat is 100%, completely and utterly, in the wrong, and it would bring a smile to my face for him to do that poo poo to someone bigger and nastier than him and not survive to learn from it.

"I'd loving eat you for breakfast" says the short middle-aged knobend. I'm amazed he's lived long enough to start going grey, frankly.

TNO posted:

That wasn't really the issue in the video, though. All I saw was a self-righteous rear end in a top hat in a Land Rover confirming all the stereotypes about Land Rover owners.
Modern Land Rover owners, please!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

TNO posted:

That 'perfectly serviceable' bike lane is on the pavement and apparently not very long (a couple of blocks or something according to comments on the various articles I read earlier). So you've got pedestrians on there meaning if you cycle at any sort of speed you're a oval office and you'd have to cross traffic to get onto it and off it again making the entire journey about 5 times longer than it needs to be...

If your man in the Landy could drive properly none of this would've been an issue.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

TNO posted:

Paths are filled with joggers wearing headphones, dog walkers, children, etc and are no place for someone on a bike going 20+ mph.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

howling_mad posted:

Running busy stop signs of busy red lights is pretty stupid and I don't support it. Neighborhood streets with a stop sign every other block and no traffic? Run that suit, hell I think most of the time neighborhood stop signs are only to prevent people doing 90mph in the compensation mobiles. Stop light with a vehicle detecor and no traffic? A bike pretty much has to run the light.

If I have the option to either stop or force a bicycle to stop for me, I will stop for a bicycle. Sure it wastes a tenth of a second and a hundredth of a gallon of gas but if I can make biking more appealing to more cyclists I think the net effect will be better. I was just going to waste that miniscule amount of time and gas anyways.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The Land Rover driver is an rear end in a top hat, no question about that.

That said, regardless of the mentioned problems with riding in the bike lane/sidewalk on that road, the road is no where near wide enough to support bikes riding in the street. If they aren't going to use the bike lane then they should seek an alternate route, it's not even remotely safe to have bikes on a road that narrow.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The Land Rover driver is an rear end in a top hat, no question about that.

That said, regardless of the mentioned problems with riding in the bike lane/sidewalk on that road, the road is no where near wide enough to support bikes riding in the street. If they aren't going to use the bike lane then they should seek an alternate route, it's not even remotely safe to have bikes on a road that narrow.

Welcome to England. We don't have any wide roads.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I find it inconvenient to stop for red lights when walking, driving, moving out of the wait for people when walking, driving or cycling. I guess I'll just break all the rules because not being inconvenienced is more worth to me than not being injured / not injuring other people.

Of course I think "drat, I missed the green.", just like I would in a car. But in all seriousness getting up to speed isn't that much of a hassle that I have to run a red light like a retard, nor do I even have to even begin to use it as an excuse.
So if you run a red light on a bike you are a lazy self important retard, just like you are in a car.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Crotch Fruit posted:

Running busy stop signs of busy red lights is pretty stupid and I don't support it. Neighborhood streets with a stop sign every other block and no traffic? Run that suit, hell I think most of the time neighborhood stop signs are only to prevent people doing 90mph in the compensation mobiles. Stop light with a vehicle detecor and no traffic? A bike pretty much has to run the light.

If I have the option to either stop or force a bicycle to stop for me, I will stop for a bicycle. Sure it wastes a tenth of a second and a hundredth of a gallon of gas but if I can make biking more appealing to more cyclists I think the net effect will be better. I was just going to waste that miniscule amount of time and gas anyways.

I guess my experience where I live is that 80% of the time bikers DON'T follow the rules of the road. To the point where it makes me nervous to drive in certain areas knowing there's a large concentration, or could be, of them.

I'm not out to kill anyone after all, regardless of fault.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I5 Portland to Vancouver at 5 in the morning is nice. Drove 70 the entire way. Took me less than 20 minutes.

I like nice things.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I5 Portland to Vancouver at 5 in the morning is nice. Drove 70 the entire way. Took me less than 20 minutes.

I like nice things.

I do the same from Cedar Hills to the Couve at ~7am daily. Usually flows well once I get through the 26 tunnels.

Traffic has been absolute poo poo here lately though, between all the rain showers and the fact that, at least in Hillsboro/Beaverton, every other street is undergoing some kind work. Stay away from Cornelius Pass south of 26.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I like nice things.

The math didn't work out until I realized there's a fake Vancouver hundreds of miles south of the real one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

howling_mad posted:

I guess my experience where I live is that 80% of the time bikers DON'T follow the rules of the road. To the point where it makes me nervous to drive in certain areas knowing there's a large concentration, or could be, of them.

I'm not out to kill anyone after all, regardless of fault.

The narrow old streets of central Copenhagen are an absolute nightmare due to cyclists blatant ignoring every single one-way sign, red light and everything else while being completely oblivious to the world around them, thanks to the earbuds in their ears.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The narrow old streets of central Copenhagen are an absolute nightmare due to cyclists blatant ignoring every single one-way sign, red light and everything else while being completely oblivious to the world around them, thanks to the earbuds in their ears.

I was there for the first time a few weeks ago and I could not agree more. My head was on a swivel looking out for them. Usually it was the ones texting while riding that I had to be on the lookout for.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Funzo posted:

I had to help lift a motorcycle off someone yesterday. I was walking back to my car after work, and saw a guy pulling up to a parking garage entrance on his Harley. I don't know if he changed his mind at the last minute or what, but he almost came to a stop, swung in to a hard left, and just sort of fell over. I went to see if he was ok along with a couple of other people. We got his bike back up and I don't think he was hurt. Just thought it was odd he just dropped it like that though. Made sure he was ok, and kept walking, since there were other people there, including a friend of his I think.

Sounds about average for a Harley rider

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
sitting at the light waiting for green to make a right onto the highway, we get green, BMW X5 blows through the intersection at ~65, almost hitting the first car in my lane, which is a state trooper. he didn't appreciate nearly getting killed by some rear end in a top hat apparently. SWEET JUSTICE

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

go3 posted:

sitting at the light waiting for green to make a right onto the highway, we get green, BMW X5 blows through the intersection at ~65, almost hitting the first car in my lane, which is a state trooper. he didn't appreciate nearly getting killed by some rear end in a top hat apparently. SWEET JUSTICE

Something something luxury cars. Was making a protected left turn a few days ago with a BMW and Mercedes behind me. I was already running an orange and they both went after me, blatantly running the light. Do some people really just think their time is worth more? The whole cycle at this intersection takes maybe 2 minutes during rush hour.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

running an orange

Where are you from? I've actually never heard anyone refer to that light as orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tex Avery posted:

Where are you from? I've actually never heard anyone refer to that light as orange.

Half yellow, half red. Protocol was crossing right as it changed, with the people behind blatantly running the red.

My dad used that a lot when I was growing up, and I've heard it in other places since then to describe the same situation.