Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren:Updates:frogsiren:
Ep 21 - One star Yelp review (youtube)

i like where i cut the end of this episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Kuvo posted:

i like where i cut the end of this episode

Goddamn exciting cliffhangers! :argh:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Sparing us from seeing them mess up the QTEs for a day I'm sure. :v:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

MR. J posted:

Sparing us from seeing them mess up the QTEs for a day I'm sure. :v:

That's the part I'm looking forward to most.

Sorry dudes, I was the one who gave you the bunk info about the move scrolls being rewards for finishing the book carrying. I miss-remembered :(

Bunk info..

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

...Ryo sure as hell ran fast at the end there.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
liking virtua fighter really helps be good at the shenmue fighting, it's pretty much the same thing in terms of basic moves, throws etc.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

liking virtua fighter really helps be good at the shenmue fighting, it's pretty much the same thing in terms of basic moves, throws etc.

I don't completely agree. Yeah, they have the punch and kick buttons, and the animations are the same, but the guarding is more of a parry, and the movement is a lot more different.

Also, I forget if it's like that in Shenmue 2, but I'm sure you have to read the move scrolls that you get given by Han to actually learn the move. Same for if you buy moves from the shop in the area down the street from Man Mo Temple (get the Machine Gun Fist because it's REALLY good). It's the shop where the aforementioned Shun scroll is.

Oh, and the next QTE is one of the best in the game, and I have full faith in you guys that you will mess it up.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Tore Store is where you go to get ripped.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 22 - Foreshadowing (youtube)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Fatal Crash Intercepted? I've never seen that prompt before.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Soooo... Do half the QTEs in that fight scene not actually change anything? Or is it possible to screw up preceeding QTEs so bad, the watermelon throw actually knocks Ryu out?

In any case, it's nice to know that the kungfu lady is just as much of a creepy stalker as Ryu himself. Also great how Ryu did not notice she was taking out all the goons. WHILE HE WAS DIRECTLY LOOKING AT THEM.

I love watching this horrible dumb game

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
The first time they screwed up the QTE, Ryo kneed the guy in the gut instead of doing his blurry backfist attack thing, and there were other times they screwed up where Ryo just decked the person.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps given the performance at the start of the video it might be wise to actually play the qte arcade game?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This is why Shenmue's QTEs are good in my opinion, because missing some isn't automatically a fail state, and actually organically alters the scene playing out. Also, the buttons are actually mapped appropriately to their in-game actions.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
You guys should try playing darts against that kid sometime.

Also, is there any other game out there that uses a button sequence QTE like Shenmue 2 does? I've never seen another game do that.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Big Scary Owl posted:

You guys should try playing darts against that kid sometime.

Also, is there any other game out there that uses a button sequence QTE like Shenmue 2 does? I've never seen another game do that.

Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) takes it to the extreme. I guess that means Heavy Rain counts too.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

please tell me that the vmu didn't break again.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
The lady that smashed Ryu's head in with the lead pipe was actually a transvestite in the original Japanese version. I dunno what it was with evil tranvestites and Japanese game developers during the dreamcast era. Alford Ashford and now this. It was changed to a woman in the US/UK version to make it presumably less offensive. The translators managed to gently caress this up though... one of the characters refers to her as a 'he' in a one or two sentences later on in the game.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
How is it less offensive if they're censoring it? Wouldn't it instead make it more offensive because they're denying the existence of such a real type of person? I never understood this mentality of media makers.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Mortal Kombat X's story mode has a QTE for an actual fatality input. Everyone fucks it up because they don't expect it. (I swear I hit the buttons but it still failed me :argh:)

Even if you fail that QTE and the dude just falls down, your character is like "Yeah that guy's dead as poo poo" in the next cutscene.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Big Scary Owl posted:

Don't some of the 3d sonic games do that? I'm pretty sure I've seen something where they'd give you a three button sequence for a qte, in addition to the the regular press a button ones. In unleashed, maybe?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"HEY YOU'RE POOR AND YOU DESERVE TO STAY IN A lovely FLOPHOUSE"

thanks joy super glad you're here thanks

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Zenostein posted:

Don't some of the 3d sonic games do that? I'm pretty sure I've seen something where they'd give you a three button sequence for a qte, in addition to the the regular press a button ones. In unleashed, maybe?

I know the Rush games and I think Generations had the pseudo-QTE thingy where you would be launched through these rings, and if you hit the prompts correctly you would get extra points for style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76fIGR0hyzk&t=68s

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Weasling Weasel posted:

The lady that smashed Ryu's head in with the lead pipe was actually a transvestite in the original Japanese version.
I thought that character looked suspiciously flat-chested, given what we've seen of other women in the game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like how the devs thinks the players memory is so bad that they'll forget they could sleep in the guesthouse after they (presumably? It was never really confirmed) get kicked out of Li's apartment following her and Ryo's little spat.

Oh well, now that they need money again, maybe we'll see more Delin. :allears:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think it was less that he was kicked out and more that Ryo doesn't want to be there anymore.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
our hero ladies and gentleman

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Weasling Weasel posted:

The lady that smashed Ryu's head in with the lead pipe was actually a transvestite in the original Japanese version. I dunno what it was with evil tranvestites and Japanese game developers during the dreamcast era. Alford Ashford and now this. It was changed to a woman in the US/UK version to make it presumably less offensive. The translators managed to gently caress this up though... one of the characters refers to her as a 'he' in a one or two sentences later on in the game.

Ah, Yuan. I always loved him because of how arrogant he was, and would then be a complete coward when stood up to. Also, I remembered how many times Ryo says "drat." in this game. He says it more than Ron Simmons does.

Velocity Raptor posted:

I know the Rush games and I think Generations had the pseudo-QTE thingy where you would be launched through these rings, and if you hit the prompts correctly you would get extra points for style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76fIGR0hyzk&t=68s

In the Rush games and Generations, it was less points for style and more extra boost meter. In Unleashed, it got you to higher routes which generally were faster and gave you more points. Die Hard Arcade is still the best example of QTEs.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay, here's my challenge, you Shenmue experts out there.

Is it possible to fail this series of QTEs in such a specific way, that Ryu is knocked out by that watermelon? Or is it scripted in such a way that you never actually faint from it? Some said earlier the QTE has different branches, but noone said whether you can branch it juuuuuuust right to lose the epic struggle Wood vs. Melon.

Because I need to see Ryu getting knocked the gently caress out by flying fruit.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

it's still pretty impressive to see him take a watermelon to the forehead and -not- go down. If I got hit in the head with a watermelon hard enough that it would shatter, it would almost certainly knock me out, if not break my neck.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
you're surprised Ryo has a dense skull?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can confirm getting hit in the head with a watermelon will gently caress you up for a while.

:(

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Excuse me.

Edit: Now in proper video format.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 4, 2015

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I'd empty-quote this but I'd just get a probation. It isn't fair.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

yesssssss

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

drat..!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 23 - The Cat Whisperer (youtube)

i remembered to encode a video

• Locked thread