Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strong bird
May 12, 2009

I simply cannot believe these clowns expect me to believe that shooting something in the place where its brain is is a good idea. Who are they trying to fool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is Boston the city that was overrun by massive hordes of feral animals in the Fallout 'verse?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I agree anything that would make VATS more about choosing strategic options for different scenarios would be great. The old games are always about shooting the thing in the head in all circumstances.

Only if everyone's called "Dickhead" or something, and you're actually shooting them in the nuts.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Anatharon posted:

Is Boston the city that was overrun by massive hordes of feral animals in the Fallout 'verse?
Nah that's Denver. Boston is the place where they make perfect human replica androids and there's a resistance movement dedicated to saving the androids from their human masters.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Nah that's Denver. Boston is the place where they make perfect human replica androids and there's a resistance movement dedicated to saving the androids from their human masters.

That could be neat but I think dog city would be a rad setting for a game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
*sighs sadly, having just described the plot of a Fallout 3 quest*

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Sorry for not having every fallout game memorized I guess

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Anatharon posted:

what do you mean "in the Fallout 'verse"?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I suppose the main protagonist could be the baby you see at the beginning, but I think that's pretty unlikely. They've already done that once. Probably just gonna be what I said earlier.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

JawKnee posted:

Have you played the first 2? Because this really only became the case in FO3

Nah, that was always the case.

Also, I'm sorry, but no one outside of Canada wants a Fallout game set there, not even the Fallout universe's annexed Canada can make Canada seem interesting. Have fun playing Fallout 4! :)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

megalodong posted:

Only if everyone's called "Dickhead" or something, and you're actually shooting them in the nuts.

Seriously, I think I spent more time running up and karate-chopping people in the nuts, or abruptly initiating a fight by snap-kicking somebody in the nuts, or gouging their eyes out, or gimping them and then beating them to death with a sledgehammer while they tried to escape.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

SunAndSpring posted:

I suppose the main protagonist could be the baby you see at the beginning, but I think that's pretty unlikely. They've already done that once. Probably just gonna be what I said earlier.

The baby is forced to grow up alone in the Vault chamber because everyone else dies. It's raised by a group of Mr. Handy robots using nothing but various books and holodisks. Eventually the baby grows up into an awkward adult that's had no contact with other humans and is force to leave the vault to find parts to repair his surrogate robot family.

Basically it'll be like the hit 90's film "Blast from the Past" starring Brenden Fraser.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Republican Vampire posted:

The protagonist is a cryogenically frozen pre-war soldier. That was in the VA audition sides too. Same dude turns up at the top of page 1 as concept art.

Fallout 2 had two gag characters based around how dumb a premise this is so obvs they had to do it for reals.

I hope I'm getting trolled and this actually isn't a spoiler

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This would honestly fit into a Fallout game with the mood of Fallout 2. There'd also be some sort of reference to the "sub-prime" crisis of 2008-09.

Liberty Sub-prime - his rates'll kill ya

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Generic Monk posted:

Liberty Sub-prime - his rates'll kill ya

:eyepop:

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
lmao voiced protagonist

main quest gonna be 6 hours long and have no branches

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

It's probably the premise. These were leaked to Kotaku in 2013 by someone at the studio that does Bethesda's voice recording:

There were other details in the leak, like the fact that at that point the game began in a cryogenic sleep tube. Compare the concept art dude with the voiced player-character in the trailer. The new skintight vault suit looks like his, down to the cables, the piping, and the ribbing on the sleeve. Look at how the trailer emphasizes the same community before and after the war. It seems pretty concrete.

But hey, at least they were also looking to cast a new DJ, so Three Dog probably isn't back.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rabid Snake posted:

I dunno, could be interesting.

NightVis posted:

lmao voiced protagonist

main quest gonna be 6 hours long and have no branches

Not that I expect this will happen but devil's advocate, Mass Effect was pretty long wasn't it?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Anatharon posted:

I dunno, could be interesting.

Not that I expect this will happen but devil's advocate, Mass Effect was pretty long wasn't it?

Fallout/Elder Scrolls is supposed to be a 300 hour beast that's a mile wide and an inch deep, voiced protagonist pretty much ensures it's going to be shorter and on rails

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

NightVis posted:

Fallout/Elder Scrolls is supposed to be a 300 hour beast that's a mile wide and an inch deep, voiced protagonist pretty much ensures it's going to be shorter and on rails

Why?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
On rails if you stick to only doing the main quests to get to the ending but who does that in these kinds of games? I think I'm like 300 hours into Skyrim and I still haven't beaten the final quest, too many side things to do.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

NightVis posted:

Witcher 3 says otherwise.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

AHungryRobot posted:

Yeah man, can't wait for a Fallout game with two dialogue choices per conversation, where half of the conversation is out of the player's control, sounds loving sweet.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

switch from emergent to cinematic. i'd love to be wrong but it's been a trend in AAA for a while sooooo

AHungryRobot posted:

I'm jazzed to pick that up soon

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Tamayachi posted:

On rails if you stick to only doing the main quests to get to the ending but who does that in these kinds of games? I think I'm like 300 hours into Skyrim and I still haven't beaten the final quest, too many side things to do.

on rails can also count having a small number of perfunctory sidequests at each location (locations the main quest has intended you to do in a specific order)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

NightVis posted:

switch from emergent to cinematic. i'd love to be wrong but it's been a trend in AAA for a while sooooo

I'm jazzed to pick that up soon

Fair enough!

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah man, can't wait for a Fallout game with two dialogue choices per conversation, where half of the conversation is out of the player's control, sounds loving sweet.

Oh no! Not my masterfully written Bethesda dialogue! gently caress off.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dan Didio posted:

So like Fallout 3/NV?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

can't wait till you get to the obvious act 3 part of the main quest and it's like 45 minutes long compared to 2-3 hours for 1 and 4-6 for 2

basically someone needs to take bioware's plot blueprints and burn them

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Reason posted:

So like Fallout 3/NV?

You should probably play Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas before comparing things to them, I think.

AHungryRobot posted:

Oh no! Not my masterfully written Bethesda dialogue! gently caress off.

lol

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 4, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Sheen Sheen posted:

Nah, that was always the case.

What parts of FO1 and FO2, besides the intro songs, would you say are reminiscent of 1950's Americana? Because there's a whole lot more that aint.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Also, I'm sorry, but no one outside of Canada wants a Fallout game set there, not even the Fallout universe's annexed Canada can make Canada seem interesting. Have fun playing Fallout 4! :)

I can't say that I care where it's set

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Genocyber posted:

fnv is cool, fo3 is what twelve-year-olds think is cool hth
reminder that misterbibs is the kind of person who needs to be handheld through world of warcraft quests, ie the easiest quests in any MMO ever

also made pages of posts being annoyed at XCOM's deterministic outcome system without figuring out that's what it is, and even when pointed out still treats that as a save-and-reload game

basically he's the kind of person who sees vanilla skyrim and sighs, "perfection"

also the kind of person valve focus tests to

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 4, 2015

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

reminder that misterbibs is the kind of person who needs to be handheld through world of warcraft quests, ie the easiest quests in any MMO ever

also made pages of posts being annoyed at XCOM's deterministic outcome system without figuring out that's what it is, and even when pointed out still treats that as a save-and-reload game

Did you forget the part where he couldn't understand the basics of three dimensional movement and how to position his character so it isn't hit from behind?

We've got a laundry list of why his opinions are wrong and should be disregarded as a rule.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This is the same guy who cried for pages about how him being too dumb to move his own character out of the way of an attack was "random" and "unfair".

So I guess I'm not surprised he's crying in here about something too.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Malpais Legate posted:

Did you forget the part where he couldn't understand the basics of three dimensional movement and how to position his character so it isn't hit from behind?
I missed that part of the bitching but god drat :laffo:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Dan Didio posted:

same but unironically

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I missed that part of the bitching but god drat :laffo:

Enjoy, it goes on for like 9 pages

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

chibisoma was a contender, but i haven't seen a single post from him for mh4u where he complains that people who beat a quest must have been cheating, so i guess mr bibs is left by himself now.

And i don't really get the issue with you not being able to make a million varied choices in the witcher games since you're playing a pre-built character with his own motivations and desires, not a largely blank slate like fallout.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I am just really curious what they have done to revamp the gameplay of these games. If they are sticking with VATS have they done anything to make it more fun/strategic? Have they got rid of enemies that scale to your level like in Skyrim? Will the be a robust faction system that has a big impact of the game world?

If its just Fallout 3 with a fresh coat of paint then I am waiting for GOTY edition or a nice steam sale.

I expect them to have basically taken the neat changes in Skyrim and try to translate them. Bracketed level scaling being one of the easier ones to do, so a particular enemy type will scale within a certain level range. Also, probably a more elaborate perk tree instead of just picking from a big list, basically encouraging a bit more specialization than in earlier Fallouts or Elder Scrolls games, although Fallout has the capped point pool to do that already, so maybe they won't go that way. Compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3, Skyrim had a lot of small quality of life upgrades, too, so the graphics will obviously be better, and the better system hardware will probably let them make the game world pretty big or elaborate. Hell, using Blu-ray will probably just let them have a lot more variety in terms of different poo poo in the game, which is always good for open world stuff. I don't feel like Beth has ever really pushed graphics boundaries, so basically a Skyrim'd Fallout would be kind of my minimum expectation.

With the reception that Skyrim and New Vegas got, you're probably right that they'll give factions a lot more weight than FO3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

As dumb as it sounds, I'll never forgive them if they take out SPECIAL.

I don't mind a voiced protagonist, but it doesn't particularly bode well for the roleplaying aspect of this, you know, roleplaying game. Maybe it'll work out, but I ain't optimistic.

• Locked thread