Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Work in progress:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

ToxicFrog posted:

Work in progress:

Are you hooking into the game's own sound functions (DOOMIO_TDOOMIO_$__PLAYSOUND looks like one) or just fmod ones? I looked into making a soundless patch a while ago, but was too lazy/busy to actually do anything.
If you can put your code up on github or similar, I'd be interested to check it out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pollyzoid posted:

Are you hooking into the game's own sound functions (DOOMIO_TDOOMIO_$__PLAYSOUND looks like one) or just fmod ones? I looked into making a soundless patch a while ago, but was too lazy/busy to actually do anything.
If you can put your code up on github or similar, I'd be interested to check it out.

I'm replacing libSDL_mixer.so with a library of my own creation that's ABI compatible but writes to the terminal instead of playing sound, in combination with the SDL_AUDIODRIVER environment variable to keep libSDL itself from trying to actually claim a soundcard when initialized.

The source code is already on github. Warning, really awful beginner Rust code ahoy: https://github.com/ToxicFrog/doomrl-server/blob/master/ttysound/src/libttysound.rs

Once it's actually usable -- and it's pretty close to "usable" at this point, although still a long way from what I'd consider "finished" -- I'll add a launcher script and support for it in doomrl-server (and make it available as an option on the test server). In the meantime, here's how to get it running:

• Build the library with 'cargo build' in the ttysound directory
  • cp target/debug/libttysound-*.so /path/to/doomrl/libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0
  • cd path/to/doomrl
  • env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. SDL_AUDIODRIVER=disk SDL_DISKAUDIOFILE=/dev/null ./doomrl

Make sure that DoomRL has music disabled, sound enabled, and is set to use SDL rather than FMOD sound, or it will either have no effect or crash instantly.

At the moment my biggest obstacle is figuring out when "something happens" so that I can intelligently fade the sound reports over time. At the moment I'm just creating a 33ms "flash" of the "you hear" line every time I add a sound and clearing the whole list if it goes >100ms without playing a sound (which is a pretty good indication that it's a new turn). But this means that if there's a lot of things happening in one turn, it flashes several times and the delay gets noticeable.

I tried adding "hoof" and "act" sounds to the player, which would let me tell when the player is taking a turn, but apparently those are ignored in the config file.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 2, 2015

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Does Realm of the Mad God count as a roguelike? Does that game have its own thread nowadays?

ScouSin
Jul 7, 2013
Realm of the Mad God skates the line of what one would call a roguelike, so I am sure it is up for debate. It has permadeath though, and the world is somewhat randomly generated, so I'd consider it one.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Does Realm of the Mad God count as a roguelike? Does that game have its own thread nowadays?

Is it still basically, "join a giant murdertrain, try not to die, collect loot," or did it get deeper?

To clarify for anyone who hasn't played, it is an awesome game for what it is, which is a shmup roguelike. Except the levels aren't quite randomly generated, iirc.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Unormal posted:

I blame handofluke who is all like "Let's make it a little better than the current version first?" and novy who is all "You should 'market your products'." :airquote:

As far as temperature; yeah qud has a reasonably good (i.e. very terrible) thermodynamics system so every object has a temperature that propagates object-to-object.

Here are the raw twitch recordings from IRDC, which was an awesome blast. I think "Your mama likes it NP Hard" was my key takeaway. I don't think my talk is up there, but madjackmcmad's (Jim Shepard) and handofluke's (Jason Grinblat) are, and the others are great too: http://www.twitch.tv/irdc_usa/profile/past_broadcasts

(e: Mine is actually there, starting at about 33:40 into https://www.twitch.tv/irdc_usa/b/664260719 watching yourself do anything is so horrible)

e: Unormal, your Savage achievements don't all seem to be working. I ran through Ensi with all characters and it never popped, leaving me saddened. I'll look at this!

madjackmcmad's seems to be broken, it's 38 seconds of silence over a crappy american flag graphic.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

madjackmcmad's seems to be broken, it's 38 seconds of silence over a crappy american flag graphic.

Nicely edited ones should be going up in a few days/weeks/months/years/epochs.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Unormal posted:

Nicely edited ones should be going up in a few days/weeks/months/years/epochs.

cool, i was hoping to see all 3 of you guys' talks.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

andrew smash posted:

That pretty much sums it up.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Well, I picked up Sproggiwood last week and jumped right into the new Savage difficulty, and just beat the final boss the first time as a thief, with about 14 hours (minus some idling time) on the steam clock. I'm only guessing at what monsters act like on lower difficulties (less slime pools, no diagonal slime explosions?), but it definitely felt like most monsters required a unique strategy to deal with safely. Archer definitely had the most trouble with the grouped enemies if he couldn't get the drop on them and kill them before they got started. Black Jellies are just a huge pain for everyone no matter what, and I still don't quite understand how purple slime pools work, so I just try to avoid them whenever possible.

I went into the final dungeon as a thief and lost the first time I reached the boss. I came back with level 3 fire traps and engulfed the room in a neverending inferno for an easy victory. The game's a lot of fun, and I'll definitely still play to beat some more dungeons with different classes.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
why on earth does sproggiwood have a metagame upgrade that reduces the cost of metagame upgrades. why do people do this

e: it also seems really bad that spiders from urns trigger vampiric weapons

e2: really liking the game otherwise!!!

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 2, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:frogsiren: Closed caption support is now LIVE on the DoomRL test server :frogsiren:

It's still (a) pretty ugly and (b) not well tested, so it's off by default. To enable it:

New users: type "config user", scroll down to the line DeafMode = false (it's with the BlindMode/ColourBlindMode settings), and change it to DeafMode = true
Existing users: type "config user" and add the line DeafMode = true anywhere in the file.

Once enabled, you should see a "You hear:" line at the bottom of the screen as soon as the game starts up. Bear in mind that this can crash your game, so don't enable it if you're planning to attempt anything that would make you really sad if a crash ate it.

Known issues:
  • The way it reports the sounds is really ugly and utilitarian. Fixing this is a config file change, but it requires writing not-poo poo descriptions for all the sounds in the game. Some of them are easy ("door/open" -> "a door opening"), some of them are not (how you describe "former/die" in a way that's distinct from "sergeant/die" and "commando/die"?). The ultimate goal is to have a config option for selecting between these, atmospheric descriptions, and symbols (e.g. a former will show up on the soundline as 'h').
  • Sounds stick around on the screen forever. I've tried to make it obvious when you're hearing new sounds by flashing the bottom of the screen. Ideally I'd like them to fade out over time like log messages do, but this may not be possible.
  • Hearing sounds adds a small but noticeable amount of lag. This is a consequence of #2 and will be fixed at the same time it is.

Hopefully I'll have a somewhat prettier interface and videos or gifs or something of it in action later in the week.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 2, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Could someone effortpost on how to be awesomely sneaky in Sil? Or maybe just link some cool resources on the topic because playing a RL where you're trying to avoid the majority of encounters seems really compelling, but so far my attempts have all been pretty rubbish.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Potsticker posted:

Could someone effortpost on how to be awesomely sneaky in Sil? Or maybe just link some cool resources on the topic because playing a RL where you're trying to avoid the majority of encounters seems really compelling, but so far my attempts have all been pretty rubbish.
  • Stay adjacent to walls, the more walls you're touching the harder you are to spot.
  • Keep your weight down - iirc the first breakpoint is 10 units? The heavier you are the easier you are to notice.
  • Get listen as one of your first skills, avoiding encounters entirely will help a lot more than not being noticed
  • After the early game Song is nearly (more?) important than stealth because -
  • Song of Silence is fantastic for being able to move around without getting noticed
  • Song of Lorien is probably your win condition
I haven't run a Stealth character since the latest patch, Stealth got nerfed rather hard -
  • Song of Sharpness got nerfed so it's harder to dig the Sil out of the crown with your likely 0-2 Str score
  • Unwavering voice got removed so you can't sing as long
  • Woven Themes got nerfed so your subtheme is much weaker if you've got high songs/grace
  • Morgoth's new song of Locking is really, really, really dangerous on the ascent for a character who is supposed to survive by not being noticed.
  • EXP for picking up artefacts/seeing uniques was nerfed

e: I guess what I mean to say is song got nerfed but since my stealth guys are song guys it's the same thing. :v:

uPen fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 3, 2015

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
So, after >300 hours of necrodancer logged in steam, I finally beat Aria Low%. What the hell am I going to do with my time now?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Mr. Wednesday posted:

So, after >300 hours of necrodancer logged in steam, I finally beat Aria Low%. What the hell am I going to do with my time now?

Unlock Coda, then win as Coda :unsmigghh:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

uPen posted:

Sil stuff

Thanks!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
If people wanna keep talking about Sil and giving tips I am okay with that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I wish that doors were more mechanically interesting in Sil. They are the biggest obstacle I've found to sneaking and it's basically just a dice rol to see if you can continue playing or if you're forced to walk through a room full of monsters that kill you.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Potsticker posted:

I wish that doors were more mechanically interesting in Sil. They are the biggest obstacle I've found to sneaking and it's basically just a dice rol to see if you can continue playing or if you're forced to walk through a room full of monsters that kill you.

What about them is difficult? Stuck doors are awful but their spawn rate got halved recently. They're also a lot worse early on (sub ~500') since the levels are so small you can be forced into kicking down a door rather than just going around.

Song of freedom is also theoretically decent now that you can use it to close chasms, open doors, not get murdered by earthquakes and escape Morgoth the door-master.

A good habit to get into its to close every door you encounter, you can follow monster patrol paths by watching what doors open off screen.

Pladdicus posted:

If people wanna keep talking about Sil and giving tips I am okay with that.

Sil is the best roguelike. :colbert:

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

uPen posted:

What about them is difficult? Stuck doors are awful but their spawn rate got halved recently. They're also a lot worse early on (sub ~500') since the levels are so small you can be forced into kicking down a door rather than just going around.

Song of freedom is also theoretically decent now that you can use it to close chasms, open doors, not get murdered by earthquakes and escape Morgoth the door-master.

A good habit to get into its to close every door you encounter, you can follow monster patrol paths by watching what doors open off screen.

Sil is the best roguelike. :colbert:

If Sil had online play and tiles, I would probably lose my job.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

uPen posted:

Sounds like I need to get the recent build then. I haven't actually played since you gave that nice list of advice, but that was the one thing that was frustrating me most in an otherwise nicely designed game.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poll: how roguelike is cargo commander?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man, that scalding steam in Qud that looks exactly like the harmless smoke from fire based attacks that instantly kills you if you are low level sure is rough. 2 steam deaths in a row on 2 very good starts.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Tollymain posted:

poll: how roguelike is cargo commander?

Well, it has random levels, based on a seed, and you do only get one life per run. It doesn't have an end, though (from what I played). It's more of a score attack. I'd say no.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

deadly_pudding posted:

Hi, Roguelike thread.

Let's say I want to play a Mystery Dungeon game on my 3DS. Should I grab Etrian Mystery Dungeon, or do you suppose I'd be better off waiting for the upcoming new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? I'm a fan of both franchises, so that doesn't really hold any weight. I haven't played any of the "Mystery Dungeon" franchise, but I have played plenty of Nethack, Dungeonmans, Dredmor. Mostly I just want a roguelike that I can play on a handheld and not have a real bad time with phone controls.

Is this one of those situations where I should just watch a Let's Play and figure out which one looks more fun to me?

If you can find it, I'd suggest Shiren the Wanderer for DS. EMD and PMD are both games where the Roguelike play is blended with mechanics from other franchises that aren't designed for Roguelikes, while Shiren is the "pure" form of the Mystery Dungeon engine. If it's genuinely between EMD and PMD, from what I've heard EMD will probably be more satisfying to a Roguelike vet than PMD - I played some of the PMD games and while they're not bad beginner Roguelikes they're still very much beginner Roguelikes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

bisonbison posted:

If Sil had online play and tiles, I would probably lose my job.

simple tiles for sil along the lines of what caves of qud has going on would be really perfect

also yeah, online play a la crawl would rock.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, that scalding steam in Qud that looks exactly like the harmless smoke from fire based attacks that instantly kills you if you are low level sure is rough. 2 steam deaths in a row on 2 very good starts.

Looking at things is so important in Qud. I just lost two awesome lavatinkers to easily avoidable deaths because I'm not used to tiles and "man the L key is so far away." Totally swapping L and X before I play again, before I opt to just go back to ascii tiles in a fit of not having to re-learn things.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

simple tiles for sil along the lines of what caves of qud has going on would be really perfect

also yeah, online play a la crawl would rock.

True story: the style I'm using for Qud is an evolution of this:

...which I made for Sil on a whim, despite its lack of tiles support.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i love them

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

megane posted:

True story: the style I'm using for Qud is an evolution of this:

...which I made for Sil on a whim, despite its lack of tiles support.

These are really great.

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Hey !

I recently picked up all the extensions for Sword of the Stars, The Pit, and i must say it is now an incredible and really polished roguelike, with 9 classes and tons of stuff to do.

Are there goon posts about it in this thread that you could recommend so that i improve my game ?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's a fair amount of bitching about its clunky crafting system :v:

I'm not sure if I've seen any actual strategic talk about it though.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
That's because the strategy for any difficulty higher than easy is "hope, wish, and pray that you find decent armor every 10-15 floors, at least two good weapons, and enough ammunition to actually use them" and it doesn't work out so great when the loot tables comprise a list of hundreds of items you don't want.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, honestly I don't think I've ever played a game that did crafting well. They always require you to have a wiki open on the background and force you to go through hundreds of junk ingredients. Even DoomRL's crafting setup is stupid as poo poo even though it's very simple. JUST GIVE ME THE ITEM I WANT TO CRAFT!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SnowblindFatal posted:

Yeah, honestly I don't think I've ever played a game that did crafting well. They always require you to have a wiki open on the background and force you to go through hundreds of junk ingredients. Even DoomRL's crafting setup is stupid as poo poo even though it's very simple. JUST GIVE ME THE ITEM I WANT TO CRAFT!

Teleglitch, for all its flaws, does crafting decently: it's just a "you have a limited amount of items in the game, they can be turned into a moderately wide variety of different items; crafting lets you select your loadout to some extent". It helps that the system is very limited and streamlined; there's not very many recipes, the character knows them all from the start (i.e. you don't have to try to combine every X with your new Y to see if it works), and crafting just consists of pulling up a menu, selecting the item you want to craft, and clicking.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I looked up a strategy guide for The Pit, and the main advice was to take off the armour and weapon in the first floors, only putting it for tough encounters, on because otherwise you won't have any when you actually need them. Then I realised I don't care enough to actually do that and stopped playing the game.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Burning Rain posted:

I looked up a strategy guide for The Pit, and the main advice was to take off the armour and weapon in the first floors, only putting it for tough encounters, on because otherwise you won't have any when you actually need them. Then I realised I don't care enough to actually do that and stopped playing the game.

Basically exactly how I felt. Except I kept playing out of the whole sunk cost obligation fallacy feelings. I did not have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

SnowblindFatal posted:

DoomRL has a hotkey that brings up a clear, easy-to-read list of every recipe you've discovered though. It's a little annoying before you've discovered everything, but once you've got the list mostly or completely filled out you basically don't need the wiki anymore since you can reference that stuff in-game.